Lost save game when upgrading to windows 10 anyone have a similar save?

+
Lost save game when upgrading to windows 10 anyone have a similar save?

So i was level 25 and had just finished the quest at kaer mohn where u got drunk with fellow witchers. I had very little side quests completed in skelliege but i had enhnced ursine set in full. I had romanced triss and yenn up to that point. Wondering if someone would have a similar save to this they could share with me ?

You could use the debug console to give yourself those levels. I dont know about quest completion specifically, but you could makes yourself level 25, give yourself ursine etc. check nexus for 'debug console enabler'.

Always back up things like saves before upgrading to a new windows version !

Can't help you sorry, I regularly clean my save folder and only keep the mosrt recent ones.

The main reason why I haven't upgraded to Windows 10. I've got bunch of files in GB that will be lost once it's upgraded to it, I need a new external first... Too bad, I don't keep too much save files on TW3 on PC since I usually save on two slots consistently and with every move I make.

The main reason why I haven't upgraded to Windows 10. I've got bunch of files in GB that will be lost once it's upgraded to it, I need a new external first... Too bad, I don't keep too much save files on TW3 on PC since I usually save on two slots consistently and with every move I make.

I upgraded from win 8.1 to win 10 without losing a single file or save from my games. Moreover, the tool created an exact copy of the old system named "windows.old" so I could have find potential lost files.

It's the smoothest windows update I've seen so far (been using windows since 3.1 ^^)

Do you have Steam or GoG?

0. Yea, so... This is not true for everyone. [I use steam.]

:facepalm2:

- I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 Friday -- [Full-Upgrade in-place, files and appdata retained]. No issues with game-settings or save-files.

It's important to note, I play with Steam [Steam-Cloud automatically syncs save-files/ game-settings]

1. Saturday, clean-install of Win10 on a brand-new SDD.
- Re-installed Steam, re-installed Witcher fresh, settings and save-files to boot restored fully as if I never re-installed at all.
[This is again, thanks to STEAM-cloud.]

I don't know if GoG has the same cloud-save feature ... [It's 2015, and I'd like to imagine it should, but only you guys can confirm...]

Last edited:
Oh dear, just checked my game. No problems what so ever, save windows 8.1 loaded fine.

But then again my game is not installed on the C drive. but the save areon the C drive in documents.

Last edited:
So.. During your Windows 10 installation when the prompt comes up to keep settings, apps, programs etc, you didn't select it. Instead you chose a clean install. I chose to keep my programs, documents and everything else.

Note: I am mentioning this because it happened to me. For people who upgrade to Win10 and choose to keep their settings, documents and programs. After you have finished upgrading to Win10 and you try and play a game. If the game fails to load and this error pops up "MSVCR110.dll is missing", here is what to do. MSVCR110.dll is part of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable that is needed for games, apps or any project built with Visual Studio. The letters "MSVCR" are an abbreviation, MS = Microsoft, V = Visual, C = C++, R = Redistributable. Go to the control panel and open "programs and features". Look through the list of installed programs and find "Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012", double click it and choose repair. That's all you need to do to fix it. If you do not see it in the list, go here and install it http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679

---------- Updated at 06:08 PM ----------

You can keep all of your programs, documents folder, pictures, music, games, desktop icons and everything when you upgrade to Windows 10. You just need to pay attention during the installation and choose "keep programs and settings" when the prompt comes up. Upgrading to Windows 10 is very simple.

---------- Updated at 06:25 PM ----------

So i was level 25 and had just finished the quest at kaer mohn where u got drunk with fellow witchers. I had very little side quests completed in skelliege but i had enhnced ursine set in full. I had romanced triss and yenn up to that point. Wondering if someone would have a similar save to this they could share with me ?

I've got a level 24 save. I don't know how far in the story it is. There are some junk swords and whatnot you'll want to sell. I think there is a potion of clearance so you can reset the skill tree. If not you'll need to buy one. Hopefully this is good enough. I put the file on my google drive so the download button "arrow" will be above the white window. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8vrsw77gettNjdZc243M09SV28/view?usp=sharing

Vik

Senior user

Interesting. I've upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday and none of my files/programs/data has been lost. (Except a few which does not work under Windows 10. But I can replace those programs.) The key is not to do a clean install if you want to keep your data.

---------- Updated at 07:46 PM ----------

Note: I am mentioning this because it happened to me. For people who upgrade to Win10 and choose to keep their settings, documents and programs. After you have finished upgrading to Win10 and you try and play a game. If the game fails to load and this error pops up "MSVCR110.dll is missing", here is what to do. Look through the list of installed programs and find "Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012", double click it and choose repair. That's all you need to do to fix it.

Or you can simply visit http://www.dll-files.com/ and get the missing .dll...

Or you can simply visit http://www.dll-files.com/ and get the missing .dll...

That is a shitty work around and not the correct way. Its better fix a corrupt program instead of putting a bandaid on part of it. Simply adding the DLL to a couple of Windows folders will not fix the entire hosed install. Anyways lets not derail the thread. Just don't offer crappy advice.

Lol, thanks for everyone's response, though I have tons of old programs and files that I don't want to lose, and yes, I don't do steam anymore, last I did was about several months ago. I always buy physical copies of the games if possible, I never liked digital copies, it doesn't do well with my internet connection. Since everyone's saying that it's safe, I'd still buy an external to keep my old files and programs. My work is on the line if I lose on of those important files. Also, I've done some custom fonts that I might want to save as well, I might just .zip them right? Anyways, if it's really safe to switch, I'd do it but I'd save my files first.

Lol, thanks for everyone's response, though I have tons of old programs and files that I don't want to lose, and yes, I don't do steam anymore, last I did was about several months ago. I always buy physical copies of the games if possible, I never liked digital copies, it doesn't do well with my internet connection. Since everyone's saying that it's safe, I'd still buy an external to keep my old files and programs. My work is on the line if I lose on of those important files. Also, I've done some custom fonts that I might want to save as well, I might just .zip them right? Anyways, if it's really safe to switch, I'd do it but I'd save my files first.

That's the way to go, always backup important stuff before an OS upgrade (I did it even if I knew it was safe to upgrade ;))

Be warned tho', the install tool will automatically create a backup of your old system files (in case you want to go back) in a folder called "windows.old" that can take up a lot of space depending on what you got there (mine was 20+gb). You can safely remove it once you're convinced Windows 10 is good enough for you and don't want to go back to previous version ;)

Top Bottom