Melee combat, please have depth and make it just as engaging as the fps gameplay.

+
This will be interesting how they'll handle it. There is no real shooter based combat with fleshed out melee, and for a good reason.

As I see it, there are a couple of points here it has to check in.

1. Raw feedback

Doom and Shadow Warrior are too "arcady", KCD is too tame. Absolutely the best game on this is actually Last of Us. Blood, camera shake, sense of weightiness with each swing, animation wind up, hit reactions,,,

2. Player control

It has to be simple, with bullets flying and general faster pace of combat, but engaging. Light attack, Heavy attack, parry, finishers, easy to execute short, impactful combos: LM+RM, LM+RM RM, etc...no more than three button presses. These would have longer windup, so you have to use them in combination with base attacks, each would have a clear, specific purpose ( does the game have stamina?)

3. Player progression

I'd divide weapons into base types, light and heavy ( one handed/unarmed/dual wielding and two handed), and further branch it from there ( similar to Skyrim), bladed and blunt within each type.

Standard: damage increase, parry reaction response time, speed increase, additional effects ( bleeding, armor penetration, etc) etc. Not sure how many weapons they'll include but I'd love to see base attacks animation change...from somewhat slow, clumsy to stylish, fast attacks. Combos can be learned through skill trees.

4. Weapon types

This is simple: make it similar to Souls series. Not +/- 10% variation, but unique attacks for each weapon type, clear dis/advantage in specific situation. Focus on quality here. Hammers against Armor, daggers for backstab, shorter blades and power gloves for speed, swords for parrying, whip for crowd control and disarming, etc...two to three times more effective, not "hammers have 20% more armor penetration than swords". Player should really take into account what opponent s/he's facing and equip accordingly. This would also add more variation to system, so you don't swing a sword at enemies, beginning to end.

5. Weapon Stat scaling

Advantage of melee over guns should be how they benefit more from ( higher) player stats. Primary Reflexes for lighter weapons, Strength for Heavy.

Last edited:
I want something that's high risk high reward... something that forces me to use my environment to close in on my enemies and then cut them in 3 with a single slash. It doesn't sound very fun to risk getting in melee with the guy only to deal slightly more damage than just shooting him with a rifle from cover. I don't want to sit there whacking away at them for what feels like an eternity. Let me hit their legs/arms to hamper their movement/aim. Make it satisfying visually, have the enemies react to hits. Fast and brutal.
1000% agree on this

Smartguns can be hacked (maybe), please explain how anyone is going to hack this.
View attachment 10971812
This is a very old brick, but probably still useful - ish. More modern guns - ie 2077 guns - likely have electronics in them. Consider the cyberhand upgrade that the 50 behind closed doors demo talked about. It shows you the ammo count among other things - meaning that most guns are set up for at least basic information back and forth.

This is a universe where cyber is almost universal. Someone compared it to smartphones. In a world like that most weapons would be designed around that fact - and they'd be hackable.

- Shane

Old often has it's advantages.

For instance, good old fashion vacuum tubes are nearly impervious to EMP that would fry most modern electronics.

Old often has it's advantages.

For instance, good old fashion vacuum tubes are nearly impervious to EMP that would fry most modern electronics.

Absolutely! And if you are trying to assassinate a known Netrunner, the old guns might be a much better way to go. They are by default immune to hacking.

- Shane

Because it's usually better to hurt/kill people from a safe distance, they frequently tend to object for some odd reason.
Yeah, but nothing says: "I love you, Dirtbag." quite like ripping their throat out with the "Eagle Claw" technique.

One of the developers at E3 said something about that Melee will be more than just an afterthought. That you can do quite a lot of melee. He even said that you can wield a Katana if you like. Then there is the Mantis blades..
This is CDPR that just did 3 melee games, I am sure they will have more Melee than just stealth take-downs and a "swipe".. It might be a little more elaborate. He said there will be "blocking mechanics" as well in Melee.. Does sound pretty good to me.

I mean if you can use a Katana, he he. "Off with their heads"...

Guest 4310777

The Devs who made Dark Messiah of might and magic went on to make the dishonored games. I believe they have set the standard for FPP melee combat.

I hope they keep the idea that even though they are cybernetics and augmentation, people in cyberpunk are still humans. Im talking about that because i question how ''realistic'' the abilities will be. For example, I hope the double jump and melee attacks and shit is not to exaggerated and that you ''can see it happening''. I dont know if you understand what i'm trying to say. For example, the jumping around in Dishonored is like something i couldn't see being really possible in cyberpunk 2077. Like if you jump really high, you might get injured when you touch the ground. I hope they keep the lethality system (might get fuck if you enter in a 1v2 gunfight).
So, what do you think ?

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say that 'super' abilities will be foreign to CP2077. While cybernetic augmentation will have an impact, to expect them to make you invincible is wrong. Even with augmentation NC is a dangerous place and there are people with the same or better augmentations that you need to be careful of. Physical abilities will be limited and if you jump from a place too high expect to do some serious harm to yourself.

I think it's safe to say that 'super' abilities will be foreign to CP2077. While cybernetic augmentation will have an impact, to expect them to make you invincible is wrong. Even with augmentation NC is a dangerous place and there are people with the same or better augmentations that you need to be careful of. Physical abilities will be limited and if you jump from a place too high expect to do some serious harm to yourself.
Oh ok. I was just wondering because in the demo they said the dude pretty much lifted up a car to create a cover. I was also worried because in the demo they pretty much go 2 v i dont know how many.

I'm going to implant myself with as much sharp edged cybernetics to skirt the edge of cyberpsychosis. Which is a prerequisite desire to join the Slaughterhouse to begin with. I plan to rise up and become a leader as a loyal low life member of the Slaughterhouse gang. To takeover Night City in the name of that gang, which the sourcebook clearly says is the most feared gang in the city. A gang that relies on concealed shivs.

To get there I'd use stealth and numbers and high tech guns. Making evil choices along the way to gain a Machiavellian reputation.

I hope the melee combat is deep like Filipino martial arts. Where the art begins with weapons and melee. I can picture the Slaughterhouse gang members stabbing in numbers, I hope it's just like it says in the Night City sourcebook.

To me, it's more brutal than bullets. All this technology and they choose to implant multiple knives. An age old and proven method to kill efficiently. At close quarters the knife is faster to deploy than a gun. Now picture a gang of these likeminded individuals, where melee is their specialty but they love guns too because this is AMERICA. Slaughterhouse, to me, is the definition and evolution of savagery. I hope to see them in the game and hope to join their ranks. Can't wait to meet my brothers in this gang. Can't wait to pop my blades in and out of my body on the subway train to intimidate the innocent denizens.

Sorry, I've thought about this a lot.

Slaughterhouse forever, forever Slaughterhouse

Last edited:
I'm going to implant myself with as much sharp edged cybernetics to skirt the edge of cyberpsychosis. To rise up and become a leader as a low life member of the Slaughterhouse gang. To takeover Night City in the name of that gang.

To get there I'd use stealth and numbers and high tech guns. Making evil choices along the way to gain a Machiavellian reputation.

I hope the melee combat is deep like Filipino martial arts. Where the art begins with weapons and melee. I can picture the Slaughterhouse gang members stabbing in numbers, I hope it's just like it says in the Night City sourcebook.

To me it's more brutal than bullets. All this technology and they choose to implant multiple knives. Slaughterhouse is the definition of savagery. I hope to see them in the game and hope to join their ranks.

Slaughterhouse forever, forever Slaughterhouse

I mean you aren't because the protagonist isn't capable of becoming a "cyber psycho" or as far as we know joining any gangs either. So no murder boner spree for you.

Well ... with certain cyberaugmentations one can certainly perform "superhuman" feats. Remember the guy playing basketball in the most recent trailer?

That said If you're expecting to be "Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound."
Don't.

I also want them to be very human. I did not see the demonstration. I hope we can not lift cars. I hope they show realism fell from a landfill hit the ground stays there until the rescue arrives or dies. took too shot dies. got damaged and did not notice dies. everything would have to be reached by walking or hopping in a car or by climbing a transparent lift. I hope the game is more human. human interaction.
exemple.
The original game has that covered iirc. For example, even if you get a couple of cybernetic arms that are strong enough to lift a car above your head, the flesh and blood parts of your body might not be able to support that weight, which means that if you try to do something like that you'll most likely end up breaking some bones and possibly get trapped under the car as it falls on top of you.

Top Bottom