[mod] Extreme Immersion Mod

+
[mod] Extreme Immersion Mod

[size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size] [size=14pt]Description[/size][size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size]This mod has been designed to greatly improve your immersion within the Witcher world. Many aspects of the HUD have been removed because they have live, in-game counterparts that can deliver the same information to you in a much more natural way. The end result is a much more fluid experience that makes you feel much more like you are playing as a Witcher because you are forced to look into the world for the information that you need rather than it being spoon fed to you by the heads-up-display. You will now need to look at the sky if you want to know the time of day or night, look at the wounds on your enemy's body to determine how much health he has remaining, look at Geralt's stance to know what fighting style you are currently using, and use your rhythm and intuition to know when to strike. The end result is the deepest experience of immersion in The Witcher that you have ever had.[size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size] [size=14pt]Features[/size][size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size]- All HUD elements that were not entirely necessary have been removed. This not only gives you more real estate on the screen to view this beautiful game, but also immerses you deeper within the role of playing as Geralt the Witcher. You will need to think as a Witcher does and gain a deeper understanding of the visual cues that the game give to you in order to survive. The HUD will no longer hold your hand and tell you what time of day it is, what fighting style you are using, or how much health your currently targeted enemy has. The only HUD elements that are left are: the medallion, the stat bars, any current buffs, and your quick slots.- Every combat related icon has been removed from the HUD, including those that tell you which weapon you are currently wielding and what fighting style you are in. You will now need to know what each fighting style's default "stance" looks like so you can always know the style you are using based on how Geralt is holding his sword. This takes a small amount of time getting used to, but increases your level of immersion in the game.- The circular health bars that would normally appear on the ground below your targeted enemy and other NPCs have been completely removed from the game. You will now need to judge an opponents health based upon the visual damage that you have done to them. This requires you to have the "Visual Wounds" installed that is part of the new 1.5 patch, or if you haven't upgraded to 1.5 you can install the Visual Wounds mod that is a part of Flash's FCR mod. With the health bars removed, combat feels much less video-gamey and a bit more realistic.- The mini map has been removed from the HUD, simply because it is not needed and takes up much space, as well as reducing your level of immersion since every HUD element that is common in video games can break the immersion at times. In addition, the small time of day monitor that appears next to the mini map has also been removed. You will now need to use the position of the sun and the moon to determine what the time may be. This simple change works well because of the realistic day/night cycle system that is already in the game.- The visual "sword flare" that occurs just before you should press the attack button again to continue a combo has been removed. Now the only indicator you will have as to when to strike will be the sound of your sword slicing through the air at the end of your attack and your own internal rhythm. Those of you who are avid Witcher players will have no problems switching to this system because you already know the timing precisely, and will find it much more appealing with the visualindicator gone due to the increased immersion. Geralt doesn't need to see a sword flare to know when to hit his enemy again, and now neither do you.Note: This mod also removes all sign icons from the HUD. You will need to know your sign hotkeys by heart or learn them after installing this mod. [size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size] [size=14pt]Installation[/size][size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size]Unpack the ZIP file, then place the extracted folder named "Extreme Immersion" into your override directory. If you do not yet have an override directory, then simply create one in the \data folder in your main game directory. I highly recommend keeping all of the files for this mod contained in the folder, not placing them "loosely" into your override directory.VERY IMPORTANT! If you are also using my other mod,"The Witcher Black Edition", you need to place the "Extreme Immersion" folder INSIDE of the folder named "UI" which is located in the main Black Edition folder. If you do not place it there, the immersion mod will simply not function properly at all. If you are not using my Black Edition, then just placing the Immersion folder into your override directory will be sufficient.NOTE: It is highly recommended that you install Flash's FCR mod prior to installing this mod. However, if you do not wish to have the increased difficulty of FCR, you can squeeze by if you just install the "No Flaming Sword" and "Visual Wounds" parts of FCR. Without those, this mod will still work but not to its fullest extent.[size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size] [size=14pt]Credits & Special Thanks[/size][size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size]The Witcher "Extreme Immersion Mod" was crafted by Roxtar, and was inspired by the leaked video of "The Witcher 2", which appeared on the internet recently.I really liked how the sequel appeared to have a much more "slimmed down" HUD, and decided to make a mod for The Witcher which would make it equally as immersing.I would like to that Flash for his great FCR mod, since this Extreme Immersion mod works much better when you have the "No Flaming Sword" and "Visual Wounds" parts of his mod installed.Last but certainly not least, I want to thank witsw and Corylea for giving me the information I needed to learn how to mod this game, or I'd still be trying to figure out how to export the .DDS files![size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size] [size=14pt]Use My Work, Please![/size][size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size]If any other modders want to use any of the work I've done on the Black Edition for your own projects, feel free to use whatever you want. We really need more mods for this great game, and I encourage anyone willing to join in and help. [size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size] [size=14pt]Screen Shots[/size][size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size]
[size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size] [size=14pt]Download[/size][size=12pt]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size]Click to download at ModDB

The mod is still awaiting approval at ModDB, but since I had the spare time right now I decided to make this topic in case I couldn't get around to it tomorrow.Until it gets approved you won't be able to download the mod, but it shouldn't take long. Hope everyone enjoys!

I won't be using this mod -- I play a mostly vanilla game -- but I just wanted to say that I'm impressed at the speed with which you've jumped into Witcher modding!Welcome!

Guest 2005166

Not bad. Is it possible just to use parts of it? I´d like to keep my HUD as it is, but the life circle remover and the visual wounds are tasty.Cheers!

Unkreativ said:
Not bad. Is it possible just to use parts of it? I´d like to keep my HUD as it is, but the life circle remover and the visual wounds are tasty.Cheers!
Well, the visual wounds are a part of Flash's mod and the 1.5 patch (I think?) so if you have those installed then you already have them. My mod just gives the visual wounds a real purpose other than being eye candy.To keep your HUD as it is and just get the health circles removed, install this mod and then delete all of the files except for "fx_kolo.dds" and "fx_kolo2.dds". If you want the sword flare removed as well then you should also keep the file "fx_trailfinis01.dds".

Are there any good scripters willing to collaborate with me in order to do three things with this mod that I do not have the ability to do? Here they are, let me know if any of you guys can pull these off:I want to remove the names that appear above monsters/NPCs/items when you have them targeted with your mouse, but still have the names show up when you hold down your "show names" button. I believe this will increase immersion due to the fact that you will only see on-screen text when you want to, not randomly whenever your mouse hovers over something, and you won't have to constantly see your enemy's name during battle.Next, I'd like to remove the pop-up floating text that appears during a fighting combo ("2nd Attack Combo!", "Final Attack!", etc.). In my opinion these messages are completely unnecessary for Witcher veterans, which are obviously the targeted audience for this mod. Those of us who have played through the game a few times already know what level of a combo Geralt is in based on how fast he swings, the grunts he makes, and the angle of the strikes... we don't need on-screen text.Finally, I'd like to remove the quick slot icons from the HUD, but still make the quick slot items usable via their respective 6, 7, 8 hotkeys. The only way a graphic-only modder like me could do this is to remove the small icons for every item in the game that could possibly be used in a quick slot, which would also make the icons not visible in the inventory as well... not good obviously. If anyone knows a way to only remove the quick slot display from the HUD, I would very much appreciate it.If those three things can be accomplished, I believe this mod will be as complete as it could possibly be.

Roxtar said:
Next, I'd like to remove the pop-up floating text that appears during a fighting combo ("2nd Attack Combo!", "Final Attack!", etc.). In my opinion these messages are completely unnecessary for Witcher veterans, which are obviously the targeted audience for this mod. Those of us who have played through the game a few times already know what level of a combo Geralt is in based on how fast he swings, the grunts he makes, and the angle of the strikes... we don't need on-screen text.
Are you sure turning off "Show Combat Feedback" in the options menu doesn't get rid of these? I thought that it did, when I tried it.

That worked :-[I already had that option unselected so I thought the messages must be linked to something else, but just now I togged them on and then off again and it did the trick. Perhaps the reason why the messages were appearing for me even though I had the box unchecked was because my settings carried over from a previous installation and I hadn't toggled it since. Weird.Thanks a lot Cory! That's one down, two to go.

Forum veteran
I actually do not enjoy the mod taking away the statistics I so desperately cling to. They are the essence of my playing experience and I see no reason they should be removed.Couldn't this mod be switched on and off only during a battle scene or so? I would think then it would be worth it... only a few parts though. :peace:

That might be possible for someone else to do, but not for me. I only know how to modify graphical aspects of the game, and making something only happen during certain events would require scripting. Possibly a good scripter could "link" the effects of this mod to whatever triggers the HUD turning red during battle (in vanilla) because that already works under the same context that you are talking about.Also, the entire point of this mod is to make the game more of a challenge to the player and immerse you by making you pay attention to the real in-game indicators that "tell" you the same things that the HUD does, but in a more natural way. Everything that this mod removes has an in-game counterpart (meaning in the world beyond the HUD) except for the sign icons, so it's not like it is taking away anything you need... just forcing you to pay closer attention to the great details the developers put into the game that also relay that same information to you.

Roxtar said:
Possibly a good scripter could "link" the effects of this mod to whatever triggers the HUD turning red during battle (in vanilla) because that already works under the same context that you are talking about.
Scripting anything in The Witcher would be a hell of a lot easier if they'd release the damned scripts so that we didn't have to re-invent the wheel -- or add a wheel in a place where, unbeknownst to us, there already is one. I don't know if you've noticed, in your whirlwind tour of Witcher modding :D, but CDPR gave us a bif of the compiled version of the scripts, but the uncompiled version -- the kind we could learn from and/or modify -- are mostly secret. The Ifrit team has managed to wheedle a handful of the least useful scripts out of CDPR (and I mean no disrespect to Ifrit when I say that), but most of them are still secret. Feel free to ask CDPR to release the original scripts -- maybe if you add your voice to ours, they'll finally do it.

I like it and I'll use it with little modifications. I like the frame (HUD elements), health circles and sword style icons removal. Obviously I also like visible wounds :p, but day/night time indicator is too useful for quests when an NPC is available only 1-2hours per day. If I'd miss such NPC because of prettier (IMO, I like minimalistic look) HUD, I'd be pis*** ;)About the 2 things you want to change. I doubt it's possible to remove names when you focus on NPC and leave the button working. Either none or both.Quick slot icons are also a pain. There is no simple solution like turn on/off and texture editing would remove them globally. Removing it involves GUI editing which is possible but I have no experience with it yet.I'll look into it when I finish my other projects and still not forget about it :p
Corylea said:
The Ifrit team has managed to wheedle a handful of the least useful scripts out of CDPR (and I mean no disrespect to Ifrit when I say that), but most of them are still secret.
Ha, I was personally negotiating these scripts with devs in CDPR studio. :peace:

Flash said:
Flash said:
The Ifrit team has managed to wheedle a handful of the least useful scripts out of CDPR (and I mean no disrespect to Ifrit when I say that), but most of them are still secret.
Ha, I was personally negotiating these scripts with devs in CDPR studio. :peace:
Well, for the mods you make, I suppose having a script for each of the oils is useful ... it's not so useful to those of us making new adventures. But hey, getting any scripts out of the folks at CDPR is good! As I said, no disrespect intended to the Ifrit boys. And if you could get the folks at CDPR to cough up any more, that would be lovely. :beer:

That was the most we could get and still sending these scripts took CDPR more than half year. There are copyright issues because the game wasn't prepared for modding and scripts authors are working somewhere else. CDPR had to find them and get their approval.I wish we could get more but what we have now is enough for game mechanics and settings. What's left are quests scripts.

Alright, I've found a supplement not to ruin my experience. I re-installed The Witcher on a seperate pc just to try this mod and see if it is really worth it.Hopefully it will be fun and not interfere with the actual game. Will report back if I find anything I hate... maybe I can be a total pessimist :evil: But, I will see if it's better this way. :peace:

Flash said:
There are copyright issues because the game wasn't prepared for modding and scripts authors are working somewhere else. CDPR had to find them and get their approval.
AH! Thanks for explaining that!I'm still surprised, though -- in most studios, the work you produce while you're employed at the studio belongs to the studio; you don't take your scripts with you when you go! Is this a feature of copyright law in Poland?

In other words: potential modders are left high & dry. This bites as it is not very welcoming... :'(

A fine mod, as I do plan to restart the game with the new FCR one, I'll try this one as well.Btw there is a workaround with your "no sword style icon", as... if we cannot recall wich one we are using, we just have to hit the shortcut key to select it again ;)I have looked at your black witcher mod as well, but I was unsure of what has changed, except for the menus ;) I know immersion is compatible with FCR, but, is black witcher compatible with FCR as well?Thanks

Roxtar. You've missed one file.ui_stat_energyb.ddsEnergy bar has black background, while other bars don't.

Top Bottom