Monsters in The Witcher 3

+
I like the one from the first game better. But like Mohasz said, that's because TW3's noonwraith is a bit over-the-top. Other than that, their design is very similar.

I just found it a bit sad that the majority of noonwraiths I have fought so far, you can't get into a dialogue with them. Just a contract to kill them, while they were presented as cursed beings that could be lifted without using a silver sword.

It's quite possible that we might come across some other species of noonwraith in Toussaint (Blood and Wine). ;)

I like the TW3 one better, just look at this sexy beast

Monster types

I remember CDPR saying in an interview by Angry Joe that there would gonna be around 80 monster types in the game. Now, I'd need to check my bestiary again, but I didn't remember having that many entries... is it me missing a lot of monsters or they saved them for the expansions, or what?

If I remember correctly, the noonwraith in TW1 only appeared in a wedding dress is because she was getting married. There was a reason and a story behind her look. I dont think all noonwraiths should look the same.

If I remember correctly, the noonwraith in TW1 only appeared in a wedding dress is because she was getting married. There was a reason and a story behind her look. I dont think all noonwraiths should look the same.

The noonwraith actually is what becomes of bride when she is killed before her wedding.

„These monsters appear in fields when the sun is at its highest. Swaying grains on a windless day announce their arrival. On particularly searing summer days, when the sun reaches its zenith, wraiths will at times appear. Resembling sun-scorched women dressed in long white robes. These are noonwraiths - the spirits of young women and girls who died violent deaths right before their weddings.”
Source: witcher.wikia.com

Last edited:
What was it with TW3 and tongues? Some disturbing fetish by the designer? As for the second picture for TW1 version, it looks like some mad hippy gathering.

Where are the promised 80 different monster types?

According to the devs, The Witcher 3 was going to contain 80 different monster species. I have made a list of all the basic monster species with the subspecies listed after each of them. The total number of species is 40.
Can devs explain the reasons of a mismatch between the announced and actual numbers?

1. Higher Vampire
2. Katakan, Gael
3. Ekimmara, Sarasti
4. Harpy, Erynia
5. Griffin, Archgriffin, Opinicus, Royal Griffin
6. Succubus, Salma
7. Siren, Melusine
8. Basilisk
9. Wyvern, Royal Wyvern
10. Forktail, The Dragon of Fyresdal
11. Cockatrice, Shrieker
12. Noonwraith, Nightwraith, Jenny O' the Woods, White Lady, Plague Maiden, Pesta, Devil by the Well
13. Wraith, Penitent
14. Gargoyle
15. Golem, Fire Elemental, Ifrit
16. Hound of the Wild Hunt, The Apiarian Phantom
17. Djinn
18. Earth Elemental, Ice Elemental, Therazane
19. Arachas, Harrisi, Venomous Arachas, Armored Arachas
20. Endrega Warrior, Endrega Drone, Endrega Worker
21. Troll, Ice Troll, Rock Troll
22. Nekker, Nekker Warrior, Hagubman
23. Cyclops
24. Ice Giant