Movies / TV Shows!

+
My personal all-time favorite historical drama is Wolf Hall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kT2lMkhldc

I've read the novels, though (they are on my personal Top Ten Best Historical Novels of All Times), so I don't know how it is to people who did not read Mantel's books.

I don't really have much time to watch TV, and I prefer not to slog through piles of TV garbage. Do you guys have any suggestions of similar TV shows, in quality, not time period? Just don't suggest The Tudors, please, I already wanted to shoot myself from embarrassment after watching the first episode :).

Donizetti's four Tudor operas come to mind: Il castello de Kenilworth, Anna Bolena, Maria Stuarda, Robert Devereux. Especially Anna Bolena, a work of great beauty that put Donizetti in the circle of big-time composers.

For the undercurious, there's always Stanley Holloway.

I don't really have much time to watch TV, and I prefer not to slog through piles of TV garbage. Do you guys have any suggestions of similar TV shows, in quality, not time period? Just don't suggest The Tudors, please, I already wanted to shoot myself from embarrassment after watching the first episode :).

OK. they're old, but if you can get hold of them, the '70s BBC series on the Tudors - The Shadow of the Tower (Henry VII), Six Wives of Henry VIII and Elizabeth R. The only weakness that they have is low-budget outdoor scenes (i.e. close camera to avoid it being too obvious it wasn't actually outdoors).
The White Queen got mixed reviews, mainly because of some anachronisms in the outdoor scenes (Gulp, Georgian Windows) but I thought it was good. There's some questions about its historical accuracy, but it's close enough for anyone except a purist, I think. At least as good as Wolf Hall.
I haven't seen it, but The Last Kingdom seems to be getting good reviews.
And a little more fictional than the others, but good anyway - The Pillars of the Earth.
And if you're OK with Shakespeare, The Hollow Crown.

Yeah, I'm into this sort of thing.

Edit: Incidentally, if you're looking for this type of thing, you may come across Gunpowder, Treason and Plot, from 2004 according to IMDb. It should have been good - great actors, extremely good writer. Personally, I think it was a piece of crap not much better than The Tudors. So not recommended.

Last edited:
At saturday starts new series: "Ash vs Evil Dead". Directed by Sam Raimi, with Bruce Campbell and Lucy Lawless - I have high hopes (as a kid I was fan of Army of Darkness :D )

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4189022/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_3

My personal all-time favorite historical drama is Wolf Hall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kT2lMkhldc

I've read the novels, though (they are on my personal Top Ten Best Historical Novels of All Times), so I don't know how it is to people who did not read Mantel's books.

I recently finished watching Legends of the Galactic Heroes. It's an anime. A little old but If you like political fiction you'll enjoy this one a whole lot.
It easily became one of my all time favorites.

Last edited:
CGI only scenes look pretty ok honestly, when live action blends with CGI though, wow, it looks pretty bad.

I'm a big Warcraft fan but I'll try to keep my expectations in check for this one, I suspect it won't be that good, so better not to be disappointed.

CGI only scenes look pretty ok honestly, when live action blends with CGI though, wow, it looks pretty bad.

I'm a big Warcraft fan but I'll try to keep my expectations in check for this one, I suspect it won't be that good, so better not to be disappointed.

Well movies based on video games don't exactly have a good reputation. Also I'm not into Warcraft so maybe I shouldn't be looking at it to begin with.

Well movies based on video games don't exactly have a good reputation. Also I'm not into Warcraft so maybe I shouldn't be looking at it to begin with.

What pisses me off the most is that Blizzard makes some of the most good looking CGI trailers out there, you'd think they would ensure the studio making this would at least meet them at that standard.

What pisses me off the most is that Blizzard makes some of the most good looking CGI trailers out there, you'd think they would ensure the studio making this would at least meet them at that standard.

Aye, I've seen some of their Diablo III stuff and it looked pretty damned impressive (I'm unlikely to ever play the game, but I can appreciate the work that went into the art design).

This new show looks freaking amazing. I can't wait for it to start.
oh yeah, i'm waiting for that one too, especially after the awesome Daredevil series, which is probably one of the best comic book adaptations of all time.

and guys, for those who are into the super-hero genra, watch One Punch Man, just do it:
[video=youtube;atxYe-nOa9w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atxYe-nOa9w[/video]
that's like the best anime series of this year, if not the decade. just watch it...it'll change your life.

Aye, it's good to see Marvel branching out to try new things and use one of their least known characters.

I only have the vaguest memories of Jessica Jones (& I keep thinking Iron Fist at the same time) as a blowin character in Avengers or Thor or something. Definitely keen for it though after the excellent Daredevil. Bad news is they cancelled ConstanTINE, which had definite promise by the end. Good news is Star Trek (what am I saying, with Kurtzman at the helm, this could be great... I miss space scifi... real scifi).

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017.

Top Bottom