Multiplayer in Witcher 3 feedback

+
Wait what's happening?

With regards to multiplayer. I'd prefer no, because I really don't get how it would be relevant for a Witcher game, and because it's simply a waste of resources on an already gigantic project. But it's not a deal breaker. I would just not be amused with the whole ordeal, esp if there are things in the SP that are rushed or badly done (like imports).

EDIT: but a coop mode with say Geralt and Ciri in short stories or main quests? I could get into that.

Shotgun on Ciri!

Agent_Blue

monotoy said:
[ot]

I've to side with the lady here ... a proper crema catalana beats a proper crème brûlée />/>/>
[/ot]

Right,
Because those would be the only two choices in the realm of Latin sweetened egg custards.
Right.

On topic, and seriously, I can't recall a vague ambivalent quasi-statement causing up such a stir since Coca Cola went berserk and announced they'd be going full throttle with ther cherry flavour. Rationally, how does the statement that CDProjekt is considering some form of MP with regards to TW3 entitles a fellow former to claim they're just like Bioware in his eyes? I say have a doctor check them asap.

The very definition of over-reaction.

Not a fan of MP games at all. No story, no puzzle solving, no romance, no closure...just plain ol' shooters. If W3 or even Cyberpunk go MP then fine, I'll stick to the SP and let the neophites kill everything/each other.

ReptilePZ said:
In such a situation, I assume the person hosting the game would play as Geralt. I highly doubt that the multiplayer will be in that form, if there is even going to be such a mode in the game.

Then what do you think it will be like?

@ Everyone complaining about possible MP/co-op in TW3: stop complaining. Do you guys know this game better than the people making it? No. So please keep an open mind, maybe we will be pleasantly surprised.

I don't want CDPR to limit their creativity simply because their fans are limited or biased.

Multiplayer in Witcher 3?... ... Next question please.

PS: For people which don't understand my reaction. I simply don't care about multiplayer in RPG's (if I want MMORPG I will buy one.)... Bye.

cmdrflashheart said:
Then what do you think it will be like?

No idea really, hopefully something minor. Or something so amazing that it blows my mind.

If it is coop... For some reason, I'm afraid they might go Dead Space 3's way with Ciri playing the role of the guy who is there in coop but not in single player.

No way man, all characters need to be present in all game modes.

It would be so awful if they're not- a whole part of the story shouldn't be missing simply to validate an alternative game mode.

cmdrflashheart said:
No way man, all characters need to be present in all game modes.

It would be so awful if they're not- a whole part of the story shouldn't be missing simply to validate an alternative game mode.

Which is why I hope they don't go down that road.

Anyway, at this point we know very little about what the multiplayer's going to be like and if it's even going to be in the game. So I think it's still early to speculate.

First, let's put it a notch back alright? No need to shout, we all have ears and eyes to read. Second, mind to the language please. You can rant all you want, but insulting this or that won't help anyone, especially not you.

TheWalker said:
CDPR games have been Day 1 purchases from the beginning, the release of The Witcher 1 (I bought about 5 boxed copies of this to give away and 3 W2).. I even started buying a whole lot on GOG simply to support the company. The Release Of W2 worried me.. CDPR always said that they developed for PC first.. However when W2 can ship with a consolised UI and NOT SUPPORTING PC MONITOR RESOLUTIONS.. I began to realise that CDPR were as much full of shit as any other company seeking to mislead in order to maximise profits, W2 relegated CDPR, for me, to "still good, but watch what they say".
They added full monitor support in one the pacthes released after May 2011 and they all came for FREE.
Please, list how many companies have done the same.

AND NOW WE GET THIS.. multiplayer for W3.. the final straw that broke their rep... so much for developing single player rpgs for the pc market.. this release SCREAMS console... It not only adds a feature that single player RPG enthusiasts DON'T FUCKING WANT (in general).. but they are also taking development time away from the single player game to add multiplayer, WHICH WILL ALSO CAUSE OTHER UNWANTED 'FEATURES'.. BALANCING AND FUCKING GENERICNESS to appeal to the twitch combat players... really this game should be called THE TWITCHER.

Because of this complete 180 in who their games are aimed at (Geralt mass effect) CDPR can kiss my rosey backside for any future sales. Their BULLSHIT about who this game is aimed at is far too much to swallow again considering the fucking mouthful I had to eat with W2.

CDPR now has the same rep as Bioware for me.. and that's NOT a good thing.
As before, calm down please. CDP haven't stated anywhere what kind of multiplayer is going to be, it's too early to say. And even if you don't like, well there's also full of people out there who really like the idea instead. I don't know why you should think that your opinion is more entitled and worthy than any other.
And a bit of manner wouldn't hurt, you know, just in case.

secondchildren said:
First, let's put it a notch back alright? No need to shout, we all have ears and eyes to read. Second, mind to the language please. You can rant all you want, but insulting this or that won't help anyone, especially not you.

They added full monitor support in one the pacthes released after May 2011 and they all came for FREE.
Please, list how many companies have done the same.

Pu-lease, you talk as if supporting a PC monitor was an option..If they HADN'T fixed it (the fact that it was missed out in the first was an abomination) they would have been seen to be a much bigger bunch of liars, than a lot of people consider them today.

..And as you are on the subject of patches... do you REALLY want to get in to what they HAD to fix and change in order to get closer to the OBVIOUS expectations of the audience they has sworn blind they were aiming at?.. We'll be here for a long time.

As before, calm down please. CDP haven't stated anywhere what kind of multiplayer is going to be, it's too early to say. And even if you don't like, well there's also full of people out there who really like the idea instead. I don't know why you should think that your opinion is more entitled and worthy than any other.
And a bit of manner wouldn't hurt, you know, just in case.

What 'KIND' of multiplayer?.. Are you taking the piss? Why in god's name would the 'type' matter? It doesn't belong in an rpg in the FIRST place... unless of course you are dumbing the shit down to maximise profits... let alone being worth the resources taken from SP simply to throw in the MP part.

It'll be yet another console UI, played better on a gamepad.. all design choices will be made with console players in mind, and PC gamers, you know the ones who paid for cdpr's rep in the first place?, will be marginalzed AGAIN, for the second time counting W2... CDPR can whistle.

@everyone else who say wait before dumping.........why should I? We've been here before and it always works out as bad as we think, it's better to start the complaining sooner than later.. at the very least we make the dev period unpleasant for them and at most somethings might get changed more to our liking... What's the point of complaining when the game is finished?

I removed a post from this discussion. Instructions from the moderators to "calm down" are not invitations to escalate your rhetoric.

There's been a lot of words over the speculation that there may be co-op or multiplayer play in TW3. That manner of discussion is what we're here for, and everybody should feel free to participate, decently and in order. It's just my opinion that real concern is premature and misplaced, because there is not actually any evidence that these things may be implemented.

But to exhibit rage over the subject or to threaten to make life miserable for anybody is so contrary to the forum rules that it won't happen again on my watch.

The Witcher has always been about experiencing your own, unique adventure. We can assure you that we won't sacrifice our trademark that is immersive, single player storytelling for the sake of other features, just to have them. Designing the game is a complex process. We take many elements into consideration, but ultimately an uninterrupted gaming experience is a priority and will always come first.

Masos said:
The Witcher has always been about experiencing your own, unique adventure. We can assure you that we won't sacrifice our trademark that is immersive, single player storytelling for the sake of other features, just to have them. Designing the game is a complex process. We take many elements into consideration, but ultimately an uninterrupted gaming experience is a priority and will always come first.

We know-believe that, at least, the most of us. You see... we still here between two years past without New Witcher's adentures and two years coming without New Witcher's adentures /> . And we will! Just because of your way of doing as devs and your constantly atention to us. /> Thanks.

Until such time as we know what MP looks like, there’s just no point in flipping out over anything. That said, I don’t mind admitting that it would be impossible for me to give less of a shit about the inclusion of any kind of multiplayer in The Wild Hunt.

Masos said:

Good to know. I just also want CDPR to realize asynchronous multiplayer could be great for Witcher 3 as a multiplayer feature. Say two people are playing and one person happens to start the same investigation. Once they have moved on they could leave a hint that we can see in focus mode. I don't expect Dark Soul's message system nor do I want it.

Masos said:

I believe that sir. I think our community is overreacting. Sure, a lot of other games were dumped down as soon as companies shifted their priorities and sometimes adding multiplayer can be symptom of that shift. But we are mistaking cause and effect here. Game still can have great singleplayer as long as company don't treat multiplayer as another point in the list that need to be ticked. Im pretty sure cdpr staying true to their priorities and treat multiplayer features as something additional and optional. Im sure that you guys considering all options and looking for things that may make the final game better.

Also multiplayer features does not mean multiplayer gameplay. Cdpr not gonna make some cancerous growth that distract them from singleplayer experience.

like in this game for example:
http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/14/3590430/dont-be-a-hero-the-full-story-behind-spec-ops-the-line

Against Davis' wishes, development on the multiplayer component proceeded and was farmed out to multiple studios before ending up at Darkside Studios. The result, according to Davis, was a "low-quality Call of Duty clone in third-person," which "tossed out the creative pillars of the product." "It sheds a negative light on all of the meaningful things we did in the single-player experience," Davis said. "The multiplayer game's tone is entirely different, the game mechanics were raped to make it happen, and it was a waste of money. No one is playing it, and I don't even feel like it's part of the overall package - it's another game rammed onto the disk like a cancerous growth, threatening to destroy the best things about the experience that the team at Yager put their heart and souls into creating."

Davis feels sorry for the developers who were tasked with creating the "tacked on multiplayer" for Spec Ops ("bullshit, should not exist ... there's no doubt that it's an overall failure"), and is still, months after finishing development, frustrated at publisher 2K.

Chromie92 said:
Good to know. I just also want CDPR to realize asynchronous multiplayer could be great for Witcher 3 as a multiplayer feature. Say two people are playing and one person happens to start the same investigation. Once they have moved on they could leave a hint that we can see in focus mode. I don't expect Dark Soul's message system nor do I want it.

What? NO! Why, Why would you... Just NO! What fun would an investigation be if somebody already left you the solution to it? It's already worrying enough that the Witcher senses may give you the solution to all of your problems and you end up getting all the info you need for the investigation by pressing 1 magical button... And you want further hints?

This controversy began on the 12th when Eurogamer published this article, under a byline that included "a whiff of multiplayer", and contained the vague reply by Adam Badowski "We're thinking about something," to a question (which we do not know how was put to him) about TW3 MP. Note that "whiff" is a pejorative term that naturally evokes something troubling in the readers mind.

On the 13th Eurogamer published this article, written by the same person, taken from the same interview, which includes the much clearer statement from Adam, which I believe is *directly* related to the previous comment:

"We have some prototypes and we'll see if we can deliver something cool to the players. But every studio should have good R&D, especially independent studios. It's good to know what you may do in the future."

Now, I don't hold anything against "reporting" websites for using various techniques to attract attention to their site, but I do recognise that they deliberately use such tactics. Also, "all publicity is good publicity", and while there are exceptions to every rule, at this stage of the cycle I don't see any real long-term harm to CDPR from the controversy that has ensued, so I doubt they are bothered beyond the fact that some of their fans have been upset.

But I think its fair to say, based on numerous similar events in the past, that we gamers are an emotional bunch with a proven tendency to overreact in a way that you simply don't see relating to other popular art & entertainment formats. I can't think of a single analogous incident concerning upcoming movies, books, or music. It may be a consequence of age, or the fact that its easy to visit a game developers website to let off steam.

So I make a plea to everyone reading this to stop & reflect on their reaction to this and future press commentaries. Certainly voice your opinion but in a calm & considered way.

I for one admire the style Adam has in the interviews he has given, he has been relatively forthcoming in details and I would like that to continue. I am skeptical by nature, and nurture via my age and experience as a computer gamer for almost 30 years, but I find myself willing to trust him and his company, as they have proven themselves over the years, with an admirable attitude in many aspects important to a vibrant & progressive gaming community. Their vision so far has been impressive, I see no reason no doubt this will continue.

Finally, the fact that they believe strongly in having in-house Research & Development enthuses me further for CDPRs future, and the future of gaming in general, to which they are having a tangible effect. It's safe to say that the people involved in this task will be mostly coders, causing no detriment to story writing or resource reduction on anything else. It is itself an extremely worthwhile use of funds, and no doubt has its own place in their overall budget.

My 100th post on this excellent board, I wanted it to be significant

Chromie92 said:

I'm not sure I'd like this in TW, it might ruin the investigation process. To be honest, if they do MP at all, I would prefer an arena co-op mode that is an offshoot or expansion to the main game. At any rate we'll see what they cook up for CP2077. I'm more open to the idea of MP in that game as long as SP remains priority.

@ Masos. Thanks for the response.

Top Bottom