New CG Cinematic for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Shows Geralt “Killing Monsters”

+
AgentBlue said:
No.
If you go through the trailer you'll realize they're actually in a hurry to hang her. If indeed all they wanted was to have a go at sadistic violence, then why wouldn't they just indulge in tormenting her extensively first?

Because she bit one of them, and the other said "we'll do it my way" implying that this is how he wanted to do it in the first place.

The sadistic streak kicks in when she resists.

AgentBlue said:
There is a hell lot of a difference - and I'm talking story wise, not passing judgement on the acts themselves, just to be clear.

Story-wise, punitive intent is antipodean from sexual drive because it implies the *Girl is guilty*.
Implying that rape is primarily driven by sexual desire. You're just saying incredibly otherworldly things.

For some reason, we want to give Nilgaard the benefit of the doubt, but the woman in this case is definitely guilty. I just don't understand the reason for this bias.

So I'd say, no, it's not just a detail. It is in fact pivotal.
The character's reactions to all details make them pivotal, so I think you're wrong about this.

@silverbolt, If you're going to make the claim that rape is indeed alluded to in the trailer, the burden of proof is on you. And this also goes for your recurrent claim that Geralt think this or that way that is somehow different than what contemporary forum members would.
Right- I'm just going to cite all the evidence that you think doesn't imply such an action because like I said, it's open to interpretation.

I'm not going to lie, I didn't see an intent to rape the first time I saw the trailer, but after reading other members' posts, I think my view of it was also colored. In this case, where many people can see different things, I think it's accurate to say that the character can also see it in more than one way.

The problem is just that- people can see different things in this trailer, and it would have been incredibly gauche to have Geralt walk away from a situation where rape was even minimally implied.

Agent_Blue

KnightofPhoenix said:
Because she bit one of them, and the other said "we'll do it my way" implying that this is how he wanted to do it in the first place.

The sadistic streak kicks in when she resists.

Which means their purpose is to punish her. This is very clear. If all they wanted was to be sadistic pricks for no reason, if she was just a random victim of their sadism, they would have tormented her extensively before attempting to hang her.

They didn't.
Ergo.

Agent_Blue

cmdrsilverbolt said:
Implying that rape is primarily driven by sexual desire. You're just saying incredibly otherworldly things.

For some reason, we want to give Nilgaard the benefit of the doubt, but the woman in this case is definitely guilty. I just don't understand the reason for this bias.

The character's reactions to all details make them pivotal, so I think you're wrong about this.

Right- I'm just going to cite all the evidence that you think doesn't imply such an action because like I said, it's open to interpretation.

I'm not going to lie, I didn't see an intent to rape the first time I saw the trailer, but after reading other members' posts, I think my view of it was also colored. In this case, where many people can see different things, I think it's accurate to say that the character can also see it in more than one way.

The problem is just that- people can see different things in this trailer, and it would have been incredibly gauche to have Geralt walk away from a situation was rape was even minimally implied.

You completely missed my point regarding rape and I won't even go in there.
I guess we'll just agree to disagree then.

I'll say it again, even if Geralt prevented an instance of excessive brutality, I don't see what's wrong with that.

You can't just cherry pick and always to your favour the occurrences in which Geralt would think this or that that is somehow not obvious but not provide a single reason that makes you think that.
Like I said before, we don't know what he thinks, only how he reacts. I didn't make up his reaction.

AgentBlue said:
There is a hell lot of a difference - and I'm talking story-wise, not passing judgement on the acts themselves, just to be perfectly clear about that.

Story-wise, punitive intent is antipodean from sexual drive because it implies the *Girl is guilty*.

No, rape is the worst kind of torture (physical or psychic). In fact It's a sexual torture. The executor has pleasure with his/her feeling of power outraging and abusing the victime. The executer destroys the dignity, the safety, takes away victim's humanity (or so intended). And don't ask why I see it this way.

AgentBlue said:
Any word from CDPR as to whether this was a cinematic from the game or specifically made for this trailer?

No, and nobody said aword about the quality of it. All the debate is about morality. CDPR's dev don't deserve this total omisssion of their great work

Vatt said:
Any word from CDPR as to whether this was a cinematic from the game or specifically made for this trailer?

Mostly specially made trailer or 'short story' as it was in the description of it. We'll likely be treated to the inevitable CGI intro hopefully near the game launch.

It's amusing to see this CGI trailer elicit so much discussion - I can't wait til the actual game comes out and we can debate the truckload of moral quandaries it's sure to possess!

AgentBlue said:
Which means their purpose is to punish her. This is very clear. If all they wanted was to be sadistic pricks for no reason, if she was just a random victim of their sadism, they would have tormented her extensively before attempting to hang her.

Killing someone for no reason, or to vent frustrations, is also sadism. Sadism can be demonstrated in multiple ways.

First of all, her clothes are already torn and her face is bruised up from the get go, which suggests they hurt her before. Not to mention the unnecessary punch in the gut. So they were already being sadistic before trying to hang her.

Second of all, one of them says "we'll do it my way", sowing that this is what he wanted to do in the first place. So at least one of them has a sadistic streak.

As such, given the lack of proof and evidence we have of her guilt, it is possible that they were behaving in such a way to vent up frustration or to attempt to terrorize nearby communities. Neither possibility implies her guilt.

Ergo, saying she is is guilty is erroneous. The most you can say is she may be guilty.

Not that it matters in the slightest.

Wichat said:
No, and nobody said aword about the quality of it. All the debate is about morality. CDPR's dev don't deserve this total omisssion of their great work
Well, in truth the credit should go to Platige Image...

Agent_Blue

Wichat said:
No, rape is the worst kind of torture (physical or psychic). In fact It's a sexual torture. The executor has pleasure with his/her feeling of power outraging and abusing the victime. The executer destroys the dignity, the safety, takes away victim's humanity (or so intended). And don't ask why I see it this way.

I seem to not be getting across. I talk about parmesan tuilles, you get back at me with Clam Chowder. Is it ever going to work out between us?

* I am not talking about real lfie suffering, I am not assigning value, passing judgement, commentary, personal opinion, none, nothing, nada, zilch, I am not not saying a damn thing about the acts themselves as they happen in real life*

* And I am certainly not in a million years justifying in any shape or form the soldiers' behaviour, for goodness sake *

Are we clear?

All I'm saying is that if indeed they were trying to rape her that might leave the door open for her innocence - and even that is debatable. Since they are clearly set out to punish her , I take it to be an indication of her guilt. Unless you sidetrack us all with an elaborate theory on how it would be possible for them to hold the opinion she's guilty when in fact she's not. A theory, of course, rooted in the trailer not just in imagination.

@KnightofPhoenix, trailer shows otherwise. She obviously offered resistance. The fact the trailer begins with the commander reciting the accusation strongly suggest otherwise.
And the detail does matter as it might be the lead for another trailer showing us the other side or the bigger picture. It hints at a larger meaning.

I've had my say.

AgentBlue said:
No.
If you go through the trailer you'll realize they're actually in a hurry to hang her. If indeed all they wanted was to have a go at sadistic violence, then why wouldn't they just indulge in tormenting her extensively first? Remember, the girls is already being hoisted way before Geralt ever decides to act.

That's the crux of the matter. It's a pivotal detail.
You're skipping over the part where they mentioned bringing in a hammer for her teeth. Remember, Geralt was riding away before we hear the dialogue implying excessive brutality, that's the pivotal detail.

AgentBlue said:
I seem to not be getting across. I talk about parmesan tuilles, you get back at me with Clam Chowder. Is it ever going to work out between us?

* I am not talking about real lfie suffering, I a not passing value, judgement, commentary, personal opinion, none, nothing, nada, zilch, I am not not saying a damn thing about the acts themselves *

Are we clear?
You seem to be mistaken about stories- people associate real world imagery etc. with them all the time. Also, what kind of storytelling is based on facts alone, and not imagination. Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

All I'm saying is that if indeed they were trying to rape her that might leave the door open for her innocence - and even that is debatable. Since they are clearly set out to punish her , I take it to be an indication of her guilt. Unless you sidetrack us all with a elaborate theory on is it possible for tehm to hold teh opinion she's guilty when in fact she's not. A theory, of course, rooted in the trailer not just in imagination.

@again, trailer shows otherwise. And it matters as it might be the lead for another trailer showing us the other side or the bigger picture. Otherwise, I've had my say.
You do realize that Geralt saving her does not absolve her of what she might have done, right?

It doesn't matter who or what she was, but what Geralt observed and reacted to in that situation.

AgentBlue said:

* I am not talking about real lfie suffering, I a not passing value, judgement, commentary, personal opinion, none, nothing, nada, zilch, I am not not saying a damn thing about the acts themselves *

Are we clear?

All I'm saying is that if indeed they were trying to rape her that might leave the door open for her innocence - and even that is debatable. Since they are clearly set out to punish her , I take it to be an indication of her guilt. Unless you sidetrack us all with a elaborate theory on is it possible for tehm to hold teh opinion she's guilty when in fact she's not. A theory, of course, rooted in the trailer not just in imagination.

I cannot manage people who claim for reality in the weight to carry on or a punisment for loot in peasant house and can make differentiation between the brutality in real life and the game.
Which is it then? I'm too old for this...They are commiting torture, no matters about culpability or innocence, not a fair punishment.

KnightofPhoenix said:
Killing someone for no reason, or to vent frustrations, is also sadism. Sadism can be demonstrated in multiple ways.

First of all, her clothes are already torn and her face is bruised up from the get go, which suggests they hurt her before. Not to mention the unnecessary punch in the gut. So they were already being sadistic before trying to hang her.

Second of all, one of them says "we'll do it my way", sowing that this is what he wanted to do in the first place. So at least one of them has a sadistic streak.

As such, given the lack of proof and evidence we have of her guilt, it is possible that they were behaving in such a way to vent up frustration or to attempt to terrorize nearby communities. Neither possibility implies her guilt.

Ergo, saying she is is guilty is erroneous. The most you can say is she may be guilty.

Not that it matters in the slightest.

This is my take. Guilty or not, I don't think people deserve to be put to death by 'torment'. And the soldiers acting as they did is unethical but common in wartime. That's about all we can say on the issue. Everything beyond this is speculation.

Agent_Blue

cmdrsilverbolt said:
You're skipping over the part where they mentioned bringing in a hammer for her teeth. Remember, Geralt was riding away before we hear the dialogue implying excessive brutality, that's the pivotal detail.

You seem to be mistaken about stories- people associate real world imagery etc. with them all the time. Also, what kind of storytelling is based on facts alone, and not imagination. Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

You do realize that Geralt saving her does not absolve her of what she might have done, right?

It doesn't matter who or what she was, but what Geralt observed and reacted to in that situation.

They were clearly in a hurry to hang her. That is not consistent with wanting to indulge in sadistic violence. That is however consistent with wanting to punish her.

As for the rest of your post,
no (public) comments.

AgentBlue said:
She obviously offered resistance.

How do you know this?
How did she offer resistance when they punched her in the gut?

The fact the trailer begins with the commander reciting the accusation strongly suggest otherwise.

Could be lies and fabricated crimes, so no.

All that you are saying *might* be true. But don't pretend you are not speculating like everyone else.

@ Agent: Why do I feel like you haven't seen the trailer. You keep saying that they were "in a rush" to hang her, but the trailer implies torture, of more than one kind. Or maybe you don't see it that way.

In that case, it's a matter of perception, so what you're arguing is why we all don't see what you see.

Agent_Blue

KnightofPhoenix said:
How do you know this?

Err, because she offered resistance all thoughout?

How did she offer resistance when they punched her in the gut?

This was meant as a remark to your suggestion the beating had begun prior to what's shown. Judging by her said behaviour, one can assume she put up a fight when the three soldiers originally captured her. That would explain the sate her clothes are in at the beginning of the trailer.

Could be lies and fabricated crimes, so no.

Again, judging from the trailer, what makes you think that? What in the trailer that authorizes the suspicion?

All that you are saying *might* be true. But don't pretend you are not speculating like everyone else.

Not all speculation was created equal. Certainly, I'm trying hard here not to invoke what's not shown but I can't be overly sure others aren't, I'm afraid.

Regardless, my statement was I take their punitive intent to be an indication of her gilt. I'd say this is a fairly open remark.

We don't have any indication that she is being hanged based on just, fair, or accurate reasons, so no- her being punished doesn't mean she's definitely guilty.

Top Bottom