NPC popping/LOD: Last, desperate request

+
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/epics-unreal-engine-open-world-behind-the-scenes/

If only Witcher 3 was made in UE4 using this technology, or the next Witcher game.

That map is 260 square kilometres or 100 square miles.

Most of it was procedurally generated using intelligent algorithms for vegetation and tree growth.

It will be released for free for everyone this week, you will be able to get it through the UE4 toolkit.

Skip to 0:50 here

Real time cutscene made in some small parts of the world:

You can see that the LOD pop in is almost not noticeable even when the camera pans and zooms around.

Last edited:
LOD & pop in is particularly noticeable in 1,05. Before that, only vegetation pop n are noticeable. In Novigard, its Pop in/LOD fantasy land.

CD PROJEKT RED : Stop the downgrade in W3 !! - Since 2013 this was a cliff down all over the place . I buy 2 970 zotac omega core for your game and now im having terrible Lod. Npc poping . Flat water bugs - Buildings appear from nowhere. How you can you tread Pc gamers like this ? . I have never been so disappointing with your games. Fix this please

I'll wait for 1.06, if LOD is not resolved,
I will revert to 1.03, loose my progress and start again.
riding in gate of novigrad and 50 meters away distance
- there is only road, no people, no market, no meshes- pure abomination with 1.05,
and yes -now you can call it a real downgrade , no optimization. Sorry REDS

Last edited:
This still can be solved: The engine needs to better scale on the hardware, i.e. they need more options to adjust things. On weaker hardware (consoles, but also older PCs) things should be downgraded, via the settings, not in general in the code. On better hardware you can turn up the settings.

They have a lot of settings, and maybe we need even more. The game should adjust the base settings on the type of platform and on the hardware abilities.
In part this is already done. But not enough. Also I think they fear the media, which will take videos and show where consoles do not look so good in comparison. But to make changes global to PCs and consoles alike is the wrong way, since it is a disadvantage for high end PCs.

But it is a fact, that cannot be denied: Consoles are the weaker hardware in terms of CPU and GPU, they have fixed hardware and high end PCs are often optimized in many ways. Consoles can run the game, but not with maximal settings. To have a game which runs equally well on consoles and on high end PCs means that the PCs hardware is not fully used.

What we need is a configurator program - like many games - where you can configure all the settings outside of the main game, which also helps, if you have misadjusted something, and the game does not run anymore.

(hypothetical/conjecture)

The console version had a performance hit in a certain area. The FPS drop was below acceptable standards. That is addressed in a patch. Console now performs well in that area.

PC get a patch too. It includes the same fixes pertaining to the amount of game objects being rendered, or NPC's on screen. This is what fixed the consoles performance issue.

Most PC's shouldnt have a problem in that area, but those fixes will be included as well since we need to accomodate those in the minimum spec range.

Net Result: Console players can play. Most PC players could play beforehand, but now have to deal with NPC-Pop-in and/or the rolling back of rendering distance for objects.

---

Conclusion: Patches are standardised across all platforms (for the most part). PC will be addressed later, when the more pressing issues like non-subjective game-breaking bugs are addressed across the board.
Try to have a look at Ps4 tech support board and you'll have the answer, i think the board it's not far from the Pc tech support board so it's just a matter of walking.
The only moments where performances take hits it's when dealing with alpha effects, the presence of NPC or other objects does not influence it.
Furthermore, people are experiencing a wide variety of issues, with someone never having a npc spawning problem, while other talking about Novigrad being a ghost town which get populated after meditating, without it hitting performance.

So the problem isn't the existence of these most hated consoles, which founded the game in order to be the masterpiece it is, the problem is this is the very first time CDPR managed to build an open world game, furthermore, the most complex open world game ever seen in terms of dynamism, so the code is particularly prone to mismatches and incongruence when dealing with the very numerous variables concerning the link between objects drawn on the scene while looking or not looking at them, with a very wide variety of issues, all rounding around data streaming/loading time, and the complexity is such that every additional variable or change inserted by patches risk to further compromise stability.
Because it's simply a matter of stability of the code (XboxOne users have no performance issue, but a a lot of system crashes as many PC users, while PS4 users have performance issues in certain areas, but differents by users), a code probably in needing of a greater amount of time spent on optimization and balancing it before releasing the game, and now if we don't get answers it's simply because, being at their first experience with an open world game, they simply don't know what the problem is and how to address it.
They gave heart to produce this masterpiece, but sometimes heart is not enough, someone must deal with the very limits of a maybe to ambitious vision (still there are users who arrived at the end of the game without any particular issue, nor performance nor lod/spawn nor quests issue, this reinforcing the idea it's a problem inside the code, not the hardware)...

---------- Updated at 10:21 AM ----------

To have a game which runs equally well on consoles and on high end PCs means that the PCs hardware is not fully used.
The usage of hardware potential has nothing to do with bugs, graphical glitches and data streaming issues, for many users having npc spawning problems there are many others which haven't, so it's just a matter of finding the issues inside the code.The real problem is the code is humongously big, so issues are very eterogeneous in the way they show, and so even developers have problem reproducing them (the call for : "We were unable to reproduce the issue" is very frequent this days, by developers but also by simple users)...

Last edited:
I have people popping PAST me, this happened to me while walking inside redanian guard posts in Velen. It made me laugh out loud :D

Hello guys. I have the same problem of level of detail pop in especially with grass. Well, I tried a lot of little tweaks and I think I found a solution for my problem.
Go to rendering.ini (use notepad to open it) and search for

TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=

For DistanceLimit, use 20000.f
For CharacterDistanceLimit, use 25.f
For HeadsDistanceLimit use 5.f.

I always have some pop in texture on the pnj's face but it s so much better now for the grass pop-in and some lod for a lot of texture.

I hope it helps.

Hello guys. I have the same problem of level of detail pop in especially with grass. Well, I tried a lot of little tweaks and I think I found a solution for my problem.
Go to rendering.ini (use notepad to open it) and search for

TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=

For DistanceLimit, use 20000.f
For CharacterDistanceLimit, use 25.f
For HeadsDistanceLimit use 5.f.

I always have some pop in texture on the pnj's face but it s so much better now for the grass pop-in and some lod for a lot of texture.

I hope it helps.

I'll try your fix and see what happens.

Doesn't work the LOD on Buildings and grass is still horrendous , will post pictures as Proof.

Latest Nvidia 353.06 Drivers, Version 1.05 of Game. Game is installed on SSD

http://imgur.com/fKChfg0

Bad LOD on Buildings above.

Last edited:
Look at the soldiers

Look at the soldiers

Damn dude , I only have facial popins and BAD LOD on grass and Buildings , you have whole textures on bodies and faces missing.

What lighting or Sweetfx/reshade settings are you using.

Also CD Projekt Please fix this . Its a real issue. I took a break from the game , honestly its quite immersion breaking when every shopkeeper is missing his face.

Damn dude , I only have facial popins and BAD LOD on grass and Buildings , you have whole textures on bodies and faces missing.

What lighting or Sweetfx/reshade settings are you using.

Also CD Projekt Please fix this . Its a real issue. I took a break from the game , honestly its quite immersion breaking when every shopkeeper is missing his face.
https://mega.co.nz/#!7c01QTgY!BU8ihoK1dwjZq2aKeCs7k8D9y2o-J4M-MDh8xvK4SSA

Along with KNG's cutscene lighting mod.

---------- Updated at 01:28 PM ----------

The UE4 demo has been released

https://www.unrealengine.com/dashboard

Download the launcher, register, go to the Learn tab on the left, scroll down and you will find it

Yeah, im having the same problem. It got worse in the 1.05 patch, sometimes even buildings is popping in lol. And sometimes the textures is really blurred out, like they havent loaded in. And this is a problem in cutscenes aswell, really immersion breaking :(

Just ran the UE4 Open World Demo in 2560x1440 on a single 980 (UE4 doesn't have SLI as of yet)

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/Ijuz2

The entire world has dynamic global illumination and ray traced shadows, and you can manipulate the lighting in real time with two keys.

Some examples:

Hi there, I also had this problem after patch v1.04 and it remained after patch v1.05

I read through the forums and some people said you could solve it by changing parameters in the .ini files... Since I don't like to fiddle with that, I tried going through the game's setting and reseting the graphics and post-processing options to their lowest presets. Then I played the game a little bit with these settings. After that, I reconfigured the game to the options I use (everything maxed out, hairworks off and 30fps cap), and since then the game stopped having the pop-in issues (and it also didn't crash once since).

I know it sounds silly, but it's such a simple thing to try that I thought it was worth a shot to write about it here. Maybe after the updates, the .ini file got "corrupted" with the changes brought by the patch, but reseting the settings throught the game seemed to fix this (at least for me).

Any of you guys having this issue, please try doing this and tell us if it changes anything...

Thanks for your attention, have a nice day!

My specs
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3-1866
PSU: Corsair AX760
Storage:
Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB (System Drive and the one where the game is installed)
2 x Seagate Barracuda 3TB drives (no RAID)
One DVD drive and one Blu-Ray drive
Latest nVidia driver 353.06 (CLEAN install using DDU)
No overclocks besides the GPU, which has a factory overclock and runs rock stable

I run the game on 1080p, ultra settings and HBAO+, but with Hairworks disabled and a 30fps cap. I do this because I prefer a stable framerate and it saves on GPU power too (the GPU would almost always be at 99% usage with an uncapped framerate, but at 30fps it tops at about 75% to 80% and the game never stutters or has any judder in motion)

Last edited:
Hi there, I also had this problem after patch v1.04 and it remained after patch v1.05

I read through the forums and some people said you could solve it by changing parameters in the .ini files... Since I don't like to fiddle with that, I tried going through the game's setting and reseting the graphics and post-processing options to their lowest presets. Then I played the game a little bit with these settings. After that, I reconfigured the game to the options I use (everything maxed out, hairworks off and 30fps cap), and since then the game stopped having the pop-in issues (and it also didn't crash once since).

I know it sounds silly, but it's such a simple thing to try that I thought it was worth a shot to write about it here. Maybe after the updates, the .ini file got "corrupted" with the changes brought by the patch, but reseting the settings throught the game seemed to fix this (at least for me).

Any of you guys having this issue, please try doing this and tell us if it changes anything...

Thanks for your attention, have a nice day!

My specs
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3-1866
PSU: Corsair AX760
Storage:
Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB (System Drive and the one where the game is installed)
2 x Seagate Barracuda 3TB drives (no RAID)
One DVD drive and one Blu-Ray drive
Latest nVidia driver 353.06 (CLEAN install using DDU)
No overclocks besides the GPU, which has a factory overclock and runs rock stable

I run the game on 1080p, ultra settings and HBAO+, but with Hairworks disabled and a 30fps cap. I do this because I prefer a stable framerate and it saves on GPU power too (the GPU would almost always be at 99% usage with an uncapped framerate, but at 30fps it tops at about 75% to 80% and the game never stutters or has any judder in motion)

I'll Try it out and get back to you , see if it fixes my issues.

No Fix.

Last edited:
Back on 1.04- (no meshes popup, no stutter anymore in NOVIGRAD),
no clouds pop up , animation is not broken on Morkvark quest.
-very good, finally I can play again.

I just popped in (pun intended) to chime in with a suspicion that has been nagging me since I first started the thread (with my other user). I hereby as everyone who contributed to the thread to post their RAM clocks, and whether they do or do not experience NPC pop-in. Also, please ascertain that you really do not have pop-in before commending. The best and quickest way to do this is starting out in novigrad or some such area (sufficiently far away) then traveling to Oreton on horseback. The NPC popping should be clearly visible on the wooden walkway. Be sure NOT to save/load/meditate on your way to Oreton, as it will lead to false negatives. Post your results in the following fashion:

2x8 Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum, 1866Mhz (XMP) - HAVE pop-in.

Thanks. I will post and summarize the results

Top Bottom