Oculus Rift in CDPR games?

+
Well it's nice of them to cater to us cyclopskin. I near constantly have a quick gander at me shortcuts and such, just to make sure my hands are in the right place. A wrong key pressed on Insane can mean a lot of pain.

jerf said:
Controlling the camera with head movements does not necessarily require violent swinging, just subtle tilting. If you have a good high-precision mouse, you do not perfom violent swinging with your hand, right?

Isn't that where the motion sickness comes in? If the movement of your head doesn't match the output, your eyes and ears give conflicting messages.

dragonbird said:
Isn't that where the motion sickness comes in? If the movement of your head doesn't match the output, your eyes and ears give conflicting messages.

If you played a game like Hard Reset with this device, you'd either have a seizure or vomit from spinning around so much. Hell, targeting in TW2 can be a dizzying affair as it is.

Guys, you must be really misinformed if you think 200$ is a lot, just check out how much a 3dvision set costs (glasses+monitor), or even just the 3dvision glasses, or a Sony HMD, hell how much do your monitors cost, or a 3dtv. Yes, this is a personal viewer, so it shouldn't be as costly as a tv set, but Sony's hmd is priced at $800 and it has 45 degrees of FOV and no headtracking, plus a terrible amount of lag (40ms I think). Oculus has:

Head tracking: 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) ultra low latency
Field of view: 110 degrees diagonal / 90 degrees horizontal
Resolution: 1280x800 (640x800 per eye)
Inputs: DVI/HDMI and USB (only HDMI for Sony)
And this kit is worth 300$, not 200$, you can expect the consumer version to be 500$ to 1000$, as it will be 1080p.
I haven't tested the device, but based solely on these specs and having gamed in s-3d for over 10 years now I am getting the consumer version, considering it is supported by major devs and will come with support for 3 games out of the box, two of which will be made with oculus in mind from the ground up.
The problem is that your are thinking of the device as a unnecessary gimmick, once you start thinking of it for what it will actually do (replace your monitor/tv as a primary gaming display and add tons of immersion), you'll see that the price is right. Once there is a working driver (and there is one being developed and working with several games already, check mtbs3d forums - http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14970&start=270) potentially every fps game can be played with oculus in s-3d and headtracking support added.
As for games, which are dizzying - a lot of post-processing and other motion-causing effects will have to be disabled the way Carmack disabled them for Doom3 BFG for Oculus, this is done to avoid any unnecessary camera shifts within the game.
Will it cause some people to vomit - probably yes, will this problem be permanent -highly doubtful. I've personaly played 12 hours in s-3d and had no problems whatsoever.
The only issue which remains is how the controls should be tailored to fit such a device - motion controllers, gamepads...etc.

it would very interesting to implement virtual reality on CDP's games as they have the best graphics and visually stunning :D

Blothulfur said:
Well it's nice of them to cater to us cyclopskin. I near constantly have a quick gander at me shortcuts and such, just to make sure my hands are in the right place. A wrong key pressed on Insane can mean a lot of pain.
Every keyboard I have owned has markings for that (usually the F and J key). Besides, if you use a keyboard regularly you should know the keys by heart :|

Blothulfur said:
[Y]ou can expect the consumer version to be 500$ to 1000$, [...]
You really believe that there would be enough people willing to drop $500 (let alone $1000) on this to make producing them worthwhile?

Top Bottom