Older Release Date and General Speculation Thread.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I saw that phrase, but it doesn't explain the issue in any way. I already demonstrated it above. If the "year of the Witcher" should be understood as focusing on communication about the Witcher (and avoiding communication about Cyberpunk), then where is CDPR's communication about on-going projects related to TW3? Enhanced edition / engine redesign? WIP on the Linux release? REDkit plans and so on? They failed to address technical community Q&A about TW3 for many months after it's already out. So I don't see how communication about TW3 is any better than communication about Cyerbpunk 2077 because of the "year of the Witcher". Both are non existent.

ultimately it doesn't matter much since the results are the same, I'm just saying that they actually gave a reason as to why they aren't talking about cyberpunk. it may be bollocks, but to me it makes sense that they don't wanna take hype away from the witcher. if we believe them, they could not talk about the two projects for different reasons.
nowhere did they say that the year of the witcher means all cards on the table, it could just mean that they are only doing public things related to the witcher. to me that's what my quoted sentence meant. the expansions themselves, witcher themed videos like this one etc. (and even if they aren't saying too many "useful" things over there, the staff is pretty active on the witcher forums - unlike here.)

Not unless that rumor about them releasing the game this year is true. Everything they've said has led me to conclude that they'll only start talking about CP2077 during the release year. For what it's worth I think 2017 will finally be the year.

ultimately it doesn't matter much since the results are the same, I'm just saying that they actually gave a reason as to why they aren't talking about cyberpunk. it may be bollocks, but to me it makes sense that they don't wanna take hype away from the witcher. if we believe them, they could not talk about the two projects for different reasons.
nowhere did they say that the year of the witcher means all cards on the table, it could just mean that they are only doing public things related to the witcher. to me that's what my quoted sentence meant. the expansions themselves, witcher themed videos like this one etc. (and even if they aren't saying too many "useful" things over there, the staff is pretty active on the witcher forums - unlike here.)

As you said, that reasoning is ultimately irrelevant anyway, since we don't get any communication at all. Neither about TW3, nor about Cyberpunk 2077. I think more proper understanding of the phrase "the year of the Witcher" is that they continue marketing of TW3, but prevent marketing of CP2077 for now. Marketing ≠ communication with the community and showing work in progress. So in the end of the day - we'll get nothing until they'll be very close to releasing it.

I doubt it. Maybe. They are still focussed on the Witcher: https://twitter.com/witchergame for a steady stream of news and communication.

Yes, Gilrond, that still counts as communication. They might not be talking about what you want to talk about, but they are certainly communicating.

Will they start talking about Cyberpunk more?

Here is some -more- communication about Witcher 3...and more news about Cyberpunk 2077: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/next-witcher-3-expansion-is-better-than-the-main-g/1100-6433789/

"Once Blood and Wine is released, Szamalek says it'll be time for him to focus all of his energy on Cyberpunk 2077."

So, yes, Gilrond's soapboxing not-withstanding, there will be communication, there -is- communication and CP2077 is seeing more and more focus. Trailer? No idea. Merging with Updates thread.

Yes, Gilrond, that still counts as communication. They might not be talking about what you want to talk about, but they are certainly communicating.

I call it single directional broadcasting. I.e. they produce their regular share of marketing materials. But they don't communicate with the community anymore (that implies a bidirectional process). And besides that common and obvious marketing stuff (which isn't of much interest to the community, since it's aimed at what they called here "the hit buyers") they don't provide any updates about their work in progress (including about the Witcher). So yeah, we might see some marketing of CP 2077 closer to the release. But communication and work in-progress updates (like that early trailer of TW3)? I doubt it.

Last edited:
I call it single directional broadcasting. I.e. they produce their regular share of marketing materials. But they don't communicate with the community anymore (that implies a bidirectional process). And besides that common and obvious marketing stuff (which isn't of much interest to the community, since it's aimed at what they called here "the hit buyers") they don't provide any updates about their work in progress (including about the Witcher).

You can call it what you like and say it implies what you like, but they certainly do listen - thus the patch fixes - and even if they didn't, one-way- communication is -still- communication. It is. Because the absence of that is very much -not- communication.

And, frankly, those of us who've been around here for awhile would -love- some one-way communication on CP, like a trailer. Love it. You Witcher people are bloody spoiled.

In fact, if all we -got- was one-way communication for the next few years about CP2077, we'd be thrilled. Sure beats what we have now, which is none. At all. Listening to the radio may not make you feel as important as talking to them on the telephone, but you are still being communicated to.

Anyway, if you'd like to talk more about CDPR's general communication methodology, start an OT thread on it. I'm sure we'll have a lively conversation.

Anyway, if you'd like to talk more about CDPR's general communication methodology, start an OT thread on it. I'm sure we'll have a lively conversation.

Well, I already linked to such thread which I started a while ago. It's not really Witcher specific, and really described many woes of communication with CDPR in general. Whatever you call the current situation, I think we can agree there is a lot of room for improvement in the communication department.

I think they will start talking about Cyberpunk 2077 6-10 months before release, with preorder, trailer, big chunk of new info about story, gameplay etc... For now they are still in "Witcher mode" with Blood and Wine and after BaW they still have more Witcher stuff from what we know.

Are we going to have to wait till 2077 to see some gameplay footage?

I am finding it hard to believe that they haven't released more than the teaser trailer, fantastic though it may be. We have all been waiting for a very long time with bated breath. So long I have entirely forgotten my original forum name.

Give us something to brighten our bleak depressing lives CD Projekt Red. Just a taste, a sweet taste, to keep us satiated while we work mindlessly for the evil corporations that rule our lives...

... alright, I may have strayed a bit there. Well... um... I will be going now.

Silly boy, of course there shall be no leaks or anything until year 2077. It is called Cyberpunk 2077 for reason afterall.

Lol on more serious note, I do agree. I also want more info and leaks about this game.

Alright, now I feel better...

Attachments

• Khaan.jpg
    Khaan.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 35
Does Santa Claus leave a hint of the presents to come?

Patience, young Sky-walker. "When its ready" means they can improve the game with no time-frame and not lose dev time for PR.

While that sounds great on paper, and one hopes is great in reality. I am sure I am not alone in having followed games in the past that either were vaporware, or one wishes they had become vaporware upon their eventual completion... release.

Now I am not saying that I have any... much fear of that with CDPR, it would really do a lot to boost peoples confidence if they released one tiny clip of something that wasn't a CGI trailer, and actually showed a taste of what we can expect. Even if it was completely unpolished pre-alpha footage.

With the advent of the early access trend, people are now used to seeing games in rough shape and are unlikely to judge a unpolished clip to harshly, I doubt it would harm the production at all, and would bring back a lot of the excitement this game had when it was first announced.

In breaking news, I think thats the first positive thing I have ever said about Early Access..hehe

Anyway, just an opinion from someone who has been waiting for a game like this for decades.

In closing, "Get off my lawn you darn kids"

With the advent of the early access trend, people are now used to seeing games in rough shape and are unlikely to judge a unpolished clip to harshly, I doubt it would harm the production at all, and would bring back a lot of the excitement this game had when it was first announced.

That's for indies to help them sustain development by getting crowd-funding. In AAA, showing pre-Alpha footage not only kills the experience for people who think that this is how the game will look (even if the game is still under development), you also create questions that bring the developers in a hard position to answer as there are NDAs in place. Remember what happened with the Witcher 3 map size? Not to mention that some early features may not make it into the final version and that creates a negative sentiment if you know about it. If you want more info, read their interviews which have revealed some generic info about the game. Trust me, there are a lot of people who are waiting for C77 more than any other game (myself included).

Personally, I like how Fallout 4 was released, with very little info then boom. There are also people who don't like spoilers or any info about the game before playing, that way their experience is 100% adjacent to their first-impressions. I realized that with the Witcher 3, as I played the game just as it came out without even seeing any review (only seen a CGI trailer very early). I haven't felt like this for more than 5 years, playing a game that was so great and I got to experience everything by myself and not be spoiled by a YT channel. That is gaming for me, and this is when the hype is real.

Besides, the C77 CGI trailer was a recruitment video, not PR. What that means is, it was addressed to developers more than it was addressed to fans.

Last edited:
i fear that, too many year pass before another trailer or gamplay video and the world forgets about the teaser trailer and then this game has less or none success
time defeats everything, i'm afraid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom