Patch 4.02 — list of changes

+
Well, I decided to wait another year before playing Witcher 3 Next Gen. I'll get myself a next generation of GPU, I'm skipping 40xx series, not worth the money. I have other games to play, I'm not desperate enough and I am not willing to deal with technical problems.

getting non-stop crashing even on 4.02. I'll play for about 5-10 mins and then it'll crash. Happens with or without RT on.
Everyone who having problems with game crashing (nvm if it's DX11 or DX12) should fist do:
1) delete all "dx12user.settings" and "user.settings" file in ur "<documents>/The Witcher 3" Folder. (When you start the game this files will be automaticly restored to default config, you just need to configure again ur in game gameplay, graphic, video etc. settings)
2) go to "<ur game directory>/bin/" folder and delete folders: "x64_dx12" and "x64" and "config" (if u having mods ini files there, then first do backup of thoes) and run game werify/repair in GOG/Steam client, to downloads thoes files again.
3) delete "Mods" folder if you have it in "<ur game direcotry>/" (first do copy of ur mods if you have ones)
4) update ur GPU drivers and Game update to newest version.
5) go to "<ur game directory>/bin/x64" (for dx11) or "... bin/x64_dx12/" and open properties of ur file: "witcher3.exe", go to tab "compatibility" and mark "run this program as an administrator" and also "disable fulscreen optimizations". Remember to first run game witchout any mods installed!
6)
disable all in game overlay, on Steam settings, GOG settings, on Geforce Experiences Settings or AMD Adrenaline.
7 In Win 11 Turn Off Memory integrity in settings. Select Start , enter ‘Core Isolation’ in the taskbar, and select Core Isolation from the list of results to open the Windows security app. On the Core isolation page, turn off the toggle for Memory Integrity. You might need to restart your device.
8) if you playing on laptop, then change ur system power plan to "Performance" and in your dedicated GPU Control Panel change 3D program settings for your game exe and then select preferred graphic processor for this program/game to "High performance <ur GPU> processor"
9) if still DX11 mode crashing and if ur GPU supports Vulkan technology, then download DXVK dll:
- download newest "dxvk-...tar.gz" from: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases
- unpack this file and from "x64" folder copy: "d3d11.dll" and "dxgi.dll" in to the same location where is the game .exe (This will force the game to use vulkan instead of the DX11)
10) for AMD RX 7900 XT/X series GPU try to change game AA from FSR to TAAU. (Yea i know u will get smaller performance, but for now it maybe only available solution, untill AMD or CDPR fix it in new driver/game patch, that lost performance in RT you can restore by installing my mod: All-In-One RT Tweaks[www.nexusmods.com])
11) if you ur PC have lower then 32GB RAM, then Increese system virtual memory size:
Click Start > All Programs > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory. Click Change. In Customize size set "Initial Size" to 16384 (MB) and "Maximum Size" to 49152 (MB) (or 65536 MB max)
12) If ur game crashing at same specific place or quest cutsceen then change to other DX mode (DX11 or DX12) and complite this quest or do more progress and then save and return back to previous DX mode
13) for DX12 mode and If your GPU dosn't support DLSS or you don't using it, then delete "sl.dlss_g.dll" from <ur game directory>\bin\x64_dx12" folder.
Even if you don't use DLSS this dll files may be cause randomly crashes
(To be know, that after deleting this files you cannot use DLSS AA or DLSS 3 Frame Gen. on RTX GPU anymore untill you restore this dll file)
14) Smillar tip like in ponit 12, but instead removing those files you can replace them using DLSS to FSR 2.1.2 replecment mod, it's offer much better AA quality then Vanilla FSR 2.0 and sometimes even higher performance, it's great option for AMD GPU or NVidia GTX (but for those GPU that doesn't support RT still DX11 + TAAU is even better option):
https://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/3819655463294863618/
15) Uninstall game, manualy go to <game localization folder> and delete this whole folder or any remaining files there, got to <ur documents>/The WItcher 3/ folder and delete all files except gamesave and screenshot folders. Download and install game again.
16) Rollback to 4.01 update:
Granudo:
I had discovered another way to downgrade.

The tutorial in question?
https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-downgrade-steam-games/

So, you need only get to the part where you open the steam console, after that execute this line:
download_depot 292030 292042 4301342286048031658

With this Steam gonna download both dx12 and dx11 witcher3.exe from 4.01 version, go to the folder where saved (steamapps/content), copy the witcher3.exe from the folder x64, go to the exact folder in the game files and paste there (for security, backup the 4.02 .exe).

And that is it

And here How to rollback game patch on GOG:
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/4419630535057-The-rollback-feature-reverting-to-a-previous-version-of-the-game?product=gog

Last edited:
I dont know. I have enought computer but after this patch i have graph issues. Geralts wolf armor sometimes becomes purple.

Is there any way to change "gather ingredients" back to "loot" when getting near a plant/mushroom/etc? I was just starting to play this again, and after the update installed it behaves differently and I can't figure out how to change it back. Also you really should have these updates keep our controller schemes. I had to go back and change a bunch around to make it function properly.

I am also on PS5 and have the EXACT same issue. I adjusted the sliders once and now they are completely disconnected from the bar. They cannot be adjusted again. This is very frustrating and im considering reinstalling the game, but my guess is that it will just happen again after I make an adjustment. Please address this issue!
Post automatically merged:

Did you try to clear the cache in case ?
(The only and the first thing to do on console when encountering issues/bugs).

I am also on PS5 and have the EXACT same issue. I adjusted the sliders once and now they are completely disconnected from the bar. They cannot be adjusted again. This is very frustrating and im considering reinstalling the game, but my guess is that it will just happen again after I make an adjustment.

The first thing I tried to do was clear the cache and rebuild the database. Neither fixed the issue.

Last edited:
On PC, try to verify the game files in case.
On console, clear the cache.
I tried and clear the cache but still observe that the sign shortcut with R2 is still not available, quest on wolf 🐺 1 still have bug (I’m not able to open the gifts) I’m on PS4

Why is this still happening? These textures problems only happens on cutscenes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230402-155911.png
    Screenshot_20230402-155911.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
Game crashes whenever framegeneration is enabled, my guess it takes about 5-15 minutes before it crashes whenever framegen is ON..
It didn't do this before...
Please test before release as more people have the same issue.

Frame generation is fake frames. They aren't actually being rendered. It just makes it look like there are more frames. Turn it off.

Frame generation is fake frames. They aren't actually being rendered. It just makes it look like there are more frames. Turn it off.
This is false. The frames are being rendered, but they're being made via AI rather than the engine, using 2 pre-existing frames. It doesn't matter if that makes them "fake" because the game very obviously feels smoother.
Post automatically merged:

I did all of steps applicable to me and I'm still getting crashes. CDPR needs to get it's act together.

I did all of steps applicable to me and I'm still getting crashes. CDPR needs to get it's act together.
Cause of the crash issue in DX11/DX12 may be:
  • Sometimes are wrong user.settings files in <ur documents>/the Witcher 3 folder(u have to delete all user.settings files) or no system privilege to run game exe or to save game settings files in dokuments folder (runnig game exe as admin may help with that) .
  • Wrong or old graphic drivers or non directX update or non visual c++ redistrib update.
  • Many problems also causing mods or changes that they made in some game files, that steam/gog verify/repair option cannot recognize, even saves can be broken because of some mods that was used at progress in this save(you have to run older save or new game). Even uninstalling game do not remove mods from game files, you have to manually delete whole game instalation folder to be sure that no mods left there anymore.
  • For others only using DVXK dlls can help running DX11:
if ur GPU supports Vulkan technology, then download DXVK dll:
- download newest "dxvk-...tar.gz" from: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases
- unpack this file and from "x64" folder copy: "d3d11.dll" and "dxgi.dll" in to the same location where is the game .exe (This will force the game to use vulkan instead of the DX11)

This is so sad and disappointing.
It is now a full month that patch 4.02 was released - and broke the game totally for so many players on PC. One full month of crashing every few minutes.
And not even a word from CDPR about the topic. Not a "working on it". Not a "sorry". And certainly not any patch that makes this wonderful game playable again.
😭

Does the Patch also include the fix for the auto-save files and manual saves for PS4? or is it just for PS5 and Xbox One?

I had the same troubles with my manual saves and auto saves when version 4.0 came out for PS4.

Does the Patch also include the fix for the auto-save files and manual saves for PS4? or is it just for PS5 and Xbox One?

I had the same troubles with my manual saves and auto saves when version 4.0 came out for PS4.
I can't say for sure, but I'm rather confident that if it was fixed on Xbox Series and PS5, it was also fixed on previous consoles :)
(CONSOLE-SPECIFIC > all consoles, Next-Gen Exclusive > PS5/Xbox Series only)

I can't say for sure, but I'm rather confident that if it was fixed on Xbox Series and PS5, it was also fixed on previous consoles :)
(CONSOLE-SPECIFIC > all consoles, Next-Gen Exclusive > PS5/Xbox Series only)

Thank you, I'm installing the game all over again on my PS4 after the problems from Ver. 4.0 to see if it was indeed fixed.

I'm also confident and after 2 patches I'm willing to check it out. Thank you for your reply. :)

This is false. The frames are being rendered, but they're being made via AI rather than the engine, using 2 pre-existing frames. It doesn't matter if that makes them "fake" because the game very obviously feels smoother.

Therefore fake. AI generated frames are not real frames. The game feels "smoother" because it feels like there are more "frames" than there actually are.

Top Bottom