Performance is very bad since Patch 1.10

+
Performance is very bad since Patch 1.10

Hello to all of you,

first I'd like to thank CDP for supporting Witcher 3 that much. :)
But I also have problems since patch 1.10...
Before the latest patch I got stable 60fps on my system, but now it's sooo bad. I don't know why this is happening...
Fps is going up and down and I have constant stuttering in Novigrad, Oxenfurt and some other places.
I 've checked my drivers etc., but nothing helps. Is there anybody else who has that problems ?

Thx for your help.

My System:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Mainboard
2x MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G / SLI
Corsair 16 GB RAM / 1600
Intel I7 4790K
Corsair H100i GTX
120 GB Samsung SSD 850 Pro
1TB Seagate HDD
Corsair RM 850 Powersupply
Corsair Graphite 780T Case

---------- Updated at 08:21 PM ----------

I usually play with tweaked ultra settings and hairworks activated.
Here's my ini file:
[Gameplay/EntityPool]
SpawnedLimit=130
[Hidden]
HasSeenDLCMessage=true
HasSetup=true
uiVerticalFrameScale=1
uiHorizontalFrameScale=1
[Localization]
RequestedSpeechLanguage=
SpeechLanguage=DE
RequestedTextLanguage=
TextLanguage=DE
Subtitles=false
[Viewport]
VSync=false
Resolution="1920x1080"
FullScreenMode=2
VSyncThreshold=0
OutputMonitor=0
[Hud]
OnelinersModule=false
ItemInfoModule=false
HudSize=0
QuestsModule=false
ConsoleModule=false
ControlsFeedbackModule=false
BoatHealthModule=false
[Budget]
TerrainTileMipDataBudget=100
TerrainTileMinTimeout=2
TerrainTileTimeout=10
OcclusionQueryAdditionalMemory=5
TerrainTileLoadingTimeout=5
[ContentManager/Mods]
MaxNameLength=64
Enabled=true
[Audio]
MusicVolume=60
Subtitles=true
[LoadingScreen/TCR]
ShowProgress=true
[Game]
DoNotPauseWhileStopped=false
[Scripts]
DebugScriptsForceFlush=true
DebugScriptsLogDir=
[PostProcess]
AllowChromaticAberration=false
SharpenAmount=0
MotionBlurPositionTreshold=0.05
AllowVignette=false
MotionBlurRotationTreshold=1
AllowMotionBlur=false
SSAOSolution=2
AllowBlur=false
[Input]
PadVibrationEnabled=true
KeyboardCooldownSpeed=0.1
InvertCameraXOnMouse=false
InvertCameraYOnMouse=false
CameraAutoRotX=true
InvertCameraX=false
UIMouseSensitivity=1
CameraAutoRotY=true
RightStickCameraSensitivity=0.846939
InvertCameraY=true
RightStickAimSensitivity=0.744898
MouseSensitivity=1
[DLC]
DlcEnabled_dlc_010_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_015_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_005_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_007_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_013_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_004_001=0
DlcEnabled_dlc_006_001=0
DlcEnabled_dlc_001_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_008_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_011_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_002_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_014_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_009_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_012_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_003_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_016_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_011_002=0
[Gameplay]
Difficulty=0
AutosaveTimeInterval=15
HudTutorialEnabled=false
EnableUberMovement=1
[LevelOfDetail]
SwarmHideDistance=500
DecalsHideDistance=80
DimmerHideDistance=120
DynamicDecalsHideDistance=80
StripeHideDistance=120
[General]
ConfigVersion=2
[LoadingScreen/Editor]
Disabled=false
[LoadingOverlay/TCR]
FadeOutCooldownExtraTime=1
FadeInSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveSpinnerTime=3
FadeOutSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveEndCooldown=1
[Visuals]
AllowClothSimulationOnGpu=false
InventoryBgColorScaleB=0.036
InventoryFixedLuminance=0.25
InventoryBgColorScaleG=0.034
MovieFramerate=30
GammaValue=0.58
InventoryBgColorScaleR=0.02
[Rendering]
GrassDensity=2400
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=10
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=160
GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=64
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=320
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=0.1
HairWorksGlobalWidthLimit=5
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=2.5
MaxTextureAnizotropy=16
TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=100000
HairWorksGlobalDensityQuality=1
TextureMemoryBudget=1600
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=2
HairWorkstGlobalDensityLimit=2
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimitSq=100
MeshLODDistanceScale=1
ScaleformTextureUnstreamDelay=2.5
DecalsChance=1
TerrainReadAheadDistance=200
HairWorksLevel=2
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold=1.6
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThresholdFar=3.5
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimitSq=225
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=4
TextureStreamingDistanceLimitSq=40000
HairWorksGlobalDetailLODFactor=1
TextureMipBias=-1
TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=false
TextureInFlightCountBudget=12
TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier=6
CascadeShadowmapSize=3072
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=1.5
MeshRenderingDistanceScale=1
CascadeShadowQuality=4
HairWorksAALevel=8
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=3
[Input/Gestures]
EnableSwipe=true
EnablePan=true
EnableGestures=true
EnablePinch=true
[LoadingScreen]
FadeInTime=3
SkipShowWithAnyKey=true
GameRevealTime=3
SkipHideDelay=3
SkipInputDelay=0.25
FadeOutTime=1.5
SkipAutoshow=false
[Engine]
LimitFPS=60
[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassGenerationEfficiency=0.075
GrassDistanceScale=1.5
FoliageDistanceScale=1.8
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=54
GrassRingSize=16777216
[Gameplay/BoatCamera]
BoatLocalSpaceCamera=false
[Save]
ShowCompatWarning=false
[Streaming/Textures]
UseMipRefiner=true
[Kinect]
Kinect=true
[Foliage]
MaxVisibilityDepth=24

I've only played around with the game a little since the latest patch but I seem to be having the same issue. Before with hair works off and foliage distance and shadows on high, I had a pretty soild 60fps at 1080p. With those same setting in novigrad and other crowded areas, i'm seeing drops into the 40s.

Win 7
i7 870 3.5gz
Asus Strix 970
12 gigs ddr 3.

Last edited:
I have problems with what seems to be frame skipping on Steam version. I tried verifying the files, resetting the config files etc. but there's still frame skipping. It's kind of jerky.

Last edited:
I've only played around with the game a little since the latest patch but I seem to be having the same issue. Before with hair works off and foliage distance and shadows on high, I had a pretty soild 60fps at 1080p. With those same setting in novigrad and other crowded areas, i'm seeing drops into the 40s.

Win 7
i7 870 3.5gz
Asus Strix 970
12 gigs ddr 3.

hi,

exactly the same problem, with the previous version of the game i have a solid 60 fps at 1080p but with the new patch i saw drop around 45 fps in novigrad:cirisad:

win 10 64 bits
i5 3570 3.4ghz
zotac extreme 970
8gb ddr3 1600mhz

please do something:yawn:

I had big drops with this patch , but i reinstalled the game and now performance is even better than 1.08.

Most likely a result of INI editing. Restore the original files (I assume the game rewrites them if you remove them) and try again.

Most likely a result of INI editing. Restore the original files (I assume the game rewrites them if you remove them) and try again.

Yes, restore the original .ini (you can of course keep your current one as a backup) and please let us know if anything changed. Then I hope we can work this out. :)

Yes, restore the original .ini (you can of course keep your current one as a backup) and please let us know if anything changed. Then I hope we can work this out. :)
I think I worked out my problem. It was caused by the new default ini

Mainly these two values
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimitSq
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimitSq

I remember having a similar problem when I changed the old values as a "fix" for pop-in of characters but that didn't even work. It just made the game stutter.

I remember in the old one there was no Sq at the end of these lines and the original values were 10 and 50. So I changed them to that and now the frame skipping is gone. Everything else seems fine. At least I think it is. I'll test some more tomorrow. It's almost 2am in my neck of the woods.

I'm really hoping for a solution. I had solid 60fps before and now its really janky. I never used any mods or messed with config files or did anything like that, so that's not it. Drivers are up to date. I notice little to no character pop in now, whereas before I had a lot of random character pop in. So maybe the patch changed some underlying settngs that can only be accessed in config files? Really hopng to fix this. I want my good frame rate back.

The patch had a big negative impact on my performance:

Patch 1.08 - 86 fps
http://i.imgur.com/sSewzq7.jpg

Patch 1.10 - 71 fps
http://i.imgur.com/0kwj6v7.jpg

Settings are exactly the same in both screens (including fullscreen mode being on). I also deleted the old config file and allowed the patch to download the new one, so there is no conflicts there. Resolution 2560x1440, all settings maxed except hairworks turned off and foliage distance on high.

i5 3570k @ 4.4ghz
SLI 970 driver 358.50
8gb ram
Windows 10 64 bit

I have the same problem. I was able to play the game with a good performance in high-ultra config. in 1.08 patch with 60fps but now fps dropped to 25-30 wiht low config. and to 15-20 with ultra config.
I have unistalled the game, done a clean install, without mods but still not working.
I hope a solution before the expasion.

- GTX 970
- i5 4670k
- 8Gb RAM

Please ensure you DELETE user.settings and allow the game to rebuild it. (Or you can rename it to something like OLD_v108_user.settings.) Also, mods may be causing issues as they'll need to be updated to work efficiently with the new rendering settings. Validate installation after the patch and run at defaults. If that clears up the issue, just reapply the tweaks you want to the new user.settings. Don't use any files from previous game versions.

Fps is nasty here also, in all areas of the game its constant frame drops of 20-30 its like the game stuttering for some reason im getting 50-80% cpu usage and on gpus on first card 76% and second is 85%.... something somewhere is wrong shouldn't one of the cards be on at least be on 99%? was on 1.08.

EDIT: Forgot to say which resolution and settings i was on, Playing on Ultra with small mixes of medium-high (2 settings which i didn't see change anything) also my resolution is 2560x1440 @144 hz. Obviously the game isn't going to hit 144fps lol :(, i just want the latest patch to run at a smooth 60fps not a stuttery fps fluctuating from 60-40-33 everytime.

I7 4790k @ stock (Not really any need to overclock)
SLi asus 970 strix on 358.50
16GB Ram
Windows 10 pro 64bit (Latest updates)
Also if needed XFX 850w PSU

Deleted the user.settings, nothing changed unfortunately :(

Last edited:
There are some small spots in Novigrad where my FPS suffers quite a hit, like nearby Triss' house and a few other places.

Try to get your rendering and display locked in at a stable FPS.

1.) Enable vsync.

2.) Lock frames to 60.

3.) Set pre-rendered frames to 1 (in your GPU control panel).

4.) For monitors with high refresh rates, set them to either 60 or 120 Hz.

5.) Run in 1080p. 2K-4K may be too much to handle now that the game seems to be using more processing cycles and memory than before.

I tried default ini settings but it helps only a little bit, far away from stable 60 fps...
Without the ini tweaks the game looks worse than before the patch and has a worse performance.
I'm sad... whats going on ?

I tried default ini settings but it helps only a little bit, far away from stable 60 fps...
Without the ini tweaks the game looks worse than before the patch and has a worse performance.
I'm sad... whats going on ?

It's likely ongoing work to balance and optimize the rendering engine's draw calls, eliminating the horrendous pop-in. The problem is, you can't have your cake and eat it, too. If the graphics are as intensive as they were, DirectX and the drivers can't keep up with that much detail for that many procedural calls. Pop-in becomes pretty bad. If you decrease the graphical fidelity here and there, the drivers and APIs can keep up with the engine. Pop-in is mostly gone, but everything doesn't look quite so shiny. (It may slow things down some, as now more resources are being devoted to pre-caching data instead of drawing frames.)

Six of one; half-a-dozen of another. I vote for less pop-in. I don't care if I can't count the hairs in Geralt's beard. If the pop-in issue occurs, sometimes Geralt doesn't even have a beard...or a face...

I see barely an improvement on pop-ins... The only thing I noticed is that many things were removed.
For example the rowing paddles on a wall in Oxenfurt or the men with the wyvern in a cave near the Novigrad' Gate.
I think, i will roll back to 1.08...

ok I try to delete both user.ini files and the fps is now better but there are still some places (place of the hierarch for example) in novigrad where the 1.08 version run smoother :wall::wall: in this particular area i drop to 40fps (from almost 60 fps) :rtfm:

Top Bottom