Playstation 4 Framerate topic (2,0)

+
Just read the Digital Foundry verdict on 1.08. Good to see we are moving in the right direction performance wise and are back to 1.05 equal performance. Thanks for this CDPR, I hope we still see further improvement in future patches too.

Great communication, as usual :D I wonder what the technical support could do about the bad performance? Wait, I know: I could get another mail about nothing.

Attachments

• crap.JPG
    crap.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 28
Im so confused t.t
CDPR why did you even release the witcher 3 on the PS4 if it cant simply run on stable 30 fps, its just confusing that the most of the game copies were sold on PS4 and this platform got WORST perfomance. Witcher 3 is probably the best game of the year yet, but the perfomance and realizing thath NOTHING has changed since 3 months making me very-very sad. t.t

Im so confused t.t
CDPR why did you even release the witcher 3 on the PS4 if it cant simply run on stable 30 fps, its just confusing that the most of the game copies were sold on PS4 and this platform got WORST perfomance. Witcher 3 is probably the best game of the year yet, but the perfomance and realizing thath NOTHING has changed since 3 months making me very-very sad. t.t

Its miracle that this game is even working on consoles if we are considering how rushed this game was, they had 1.5 years or even less to make graphic engine for every platform pretty much from scratch. Watch VGX trailer from december 2013 and u will see how the game looked before they got console specifications.

They should make this game PC FIRST and then focus on consoles, like in Witcher 2. Everyone would be happy...

Is it because ps4 runs it at 1080p native that it's performance isn't up to the xone? I know ps4 is the stronger system, but it's not that much stronger. If the xone was at a native 1080 it's performance would be worse then ps4.

The stutter is what I don't understand. According to digital foundry the ps4 version has a loading stutter if sprinting or running really fast as the game tries to catch up and load. Apparently this isn't on the pc or xone versions.

The frame rate is really bad in novigrad , visual errors , black map & it takes 10 seconds to load everything after fast traveling , things are slightly better in other areas but still unacceptable , 1.08 made the game run worse for me .

Im so confused t.t

You answered your own question. If CDPR released the PS4 version of the game, it's because they knew they would do the majority of their sales on this system. They even stated that Witcher 3 could not have been the same game if they didn't anticipate PS4 sales.
It's even more sad that it is technically the worst version of the 3.
Now the majority of the sales are made, no need to invest in fixing a game already sold.
Beside maybe legal procedures( players suing them for false advertisement), they will probably never fix the PS4 framerate, despite saying otherwise to not hurt sales from the potential PS4 owners that still don't have the game .

Last edited:
Now the majority of the sales are made, no need to invest in fixing a game already sold.
Beside maybe legal procedures( players suing them for false advertisement), they will probably never fix the PS4 framerate, despite saying otherwise to not hurt the potential PS4 owners that still don't have the game .

Sad but true!

Its miracle that this game is even working on consoles if we are considering how rushed this game was, they had 1.5 years or even less to make graphic engine for every platform pretty much from scratch. Watch VGX trailer from december 2013 and u will see how the game looked before they got console specifications.

They should make this game PC FIRST and then focus on consoles, like in Witcher 2. Everyone would be happy...

I dont really care about how game looked before and how it looks now. I paid 60$ for this and im expecting it to work right. Batman, Far Cry and some other games looks no less good and they working stable.

Hm, the whole situation is sad as even thinking about Witcher 3 leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I like CDPR, I really, really do, but communication is apparently not their strong suit and after releasing the game (PS4) PR has been one ham handed debacle.
I guess people have stopped caring by now. Well, so have I.

I'm actually surprised they haven't made a statement yet as to why they can't correct the performance for ps4... I'm hard pressed to believe that the hardware can't handle slightly better fps at 1080 this.

---------- Updated at 09:07 PM ----------

You guys here seem to know your stuff slightly better then the other forums I've visited so I'll ask here... I hate to think of this possibility but did we just get an xone port? I thought I remember reading somewhere that pc was the main platform, but they did get dev kits for both consoles. Or did they only get dev kits for the xone? In the interview the cdpr rep said they "got dev kits for the next gen consoles" but That is a weird way of wording it. They didn't say they got dev kits for both. Or say they got them for ps4 and xone. They worded it very vaguely.

They have to have had dev kits for PS4, otherwise they would not have been able to deliver an executable game at all. Whether they used enough PS4 specific features, or knew them well enough to do so, and had the time and budget to do so, to make the game better optimized on PS4 are, of course, different questions.

True. My guess is they just didn't have the time to optimize it. I remember at launch the xbone had performance issues as well but for other reasons.

well a quick "fix" would be to disable the double buffered vsync - the fps would still be all over the place but not stuck at 20fps for a long period of time... dropping to 900p (like the xbone) would reduce the renderspace by 44% which ofc does not translate to 44% more performance but would easy up the ressources at least.... and now that the free bugged DLCs are done *gg* - maybe they could devout some time to polish the PS4 code and tickle out some more frames ...just my 2cent...

Wouldn't lowering the resolution though definitely,improve performance because it's less stressful on the gfx card and such? I remember from my time as a pc gamer the lower resolution I picked, the better performance But less,crisp gfx.

well a quick "fix" would be to disable the double buffered vsync - the fps would still be all over the place but not stuck at 20fps for a long period of time... dropping to 900p (like the xbone) would reduce the renderspace by 44% which ofc does not translate to 44% more performance but would easy up the ressources at least.... and now that the free bugged DLCs are done *gg* - maybe they could devout some time to polish the PS4 code and tickle out some more frames ...just my 2cent...

They may be finished with the free dlc but now they have even bigger, paid expansions coming out later that they have to work on so I'm afraid optimization isn't high up there on priorities :( the game runs though,that much is true,maybe not as smooth as it could on ps4, but they have to deliver on the expansions as well so I think they will only have time to optimize when the make the inevitable Enhanced Edition later.

I think you guys are thinking of it wrong. The problem isn't resolution. You don't drop the quality of the visuals just for a couple sections in the game. You target fixes AT those sections in the game.

For example, at the bog. Jesus, just give us the option to turn off the weather effects and the fog. I don't give a rats butt about those things if it means I'm trotting along a storybook instead of a videogame.

Novigrad, do I really need that many textures or people or fire? I think this is the most unforgiveable one because they claimed to fix the image rendering system but instead it's worse now. There may actually be something to fix here.

You don't drop the quality of the visuals just for a couple sections in the game. You target fixes AT those sections in the game. For example, at the bog. Jesus, just give us the option to turn off the weather effects and the fog. Novigrad, do I really need that many textures or people or fire? I think this is the most unforgiveable one because they claimed to fix the image rendering system but instead it's worse now. There may actually be something to fix here.

Exactly, which is why I no longer have any hope these PS4 performance issues will be solved. CDPR has known Novigrad and the bog are the two worst areas for the PS4 and we even have patch notes which indicate FPS improvements in these areas are improved. In reality nothing of the sort. XBOX1 having NG+ 1st seals the deal - they're Microsoft's concubine now and could give two shits for their lead selling platform.

Top Bottom