romance in the witcher

+
KnightofPhoenix said:
I am dreading the very likely love triangle that will be there.

I am dreading to make a choice, because I went from Geralt + Yennefer forever! (after reading the books), to Triss is such a nice girl! (after playing the games).

In the grander scheme of things, Geralt belongs to Yennefer, though. I wouldn't be upset if they didn't give us a final choice about that aspect, as they didn't give us a choice about bedding Triss in the beginning of Witcher 2, thus favoring a romance thread over others...

Blothulfur said:
I am afraid that it's got to be in there, the whole deceitful relationship Triss has forged with you, a possible ending to any hints of a relationship with Shani and of course finally Yen, whom is probably still bound by the last wish. I'm not a fan of romances by any means, but I trust that it will be complicated and work on several layers rather than the usual inane teenage squeefest we get from other developers. After all Yen and Geralt have many years to their relationship, it's not just a few right dialogue choices between strangers and then the obligatory sex scene reward.

This. It's in the books, and a significant part of the books. I'd rather they not turn sensible characters into fickle school children, like Sapkowski does. But then again, who hasn't seen a normally sensible person behave foolishly due to a romantic relations. I expect it from Triss, as that's who she is, a conflicted and passionate person.

Songlian said:
I am dreading to make a choice, because I went from Geralt + Yennefer forever! (after reading the books), to Triss is such a nice girl! (after playing the games).

In the grander scheme of things, Geralt belongs to Yennefer, though. I wouldn't be upset if they didn't give us a final choice about that aspect, as they didn't give us a choice about bedding Triss in the beginning of Witcher 2, thus favoring a romance thread over others...

Well... is a hard to choose between triss & yennefer , am still wonder what is going to happen.. i mean a relationship between them is so mass up , and i got a feeling they will be more then triss & yennefer that we have to choose in TW3 ( am hope they add more option on this
).

anyway CDRed( team )will do their best.i believe their will have every aspect as possible is a open world is full of opportunity so i don see is should be worry about ,
well... we will see it soon enough ! (just be patient and will be fine
)

KnightofPhoenix said:
I am dreading the very likely love triangle that will be there. It's very hard to pull it off well without just being annoying and stupid.

I hate them with passion too, if you do not know how to do it , simple leave it alone. It takes way from the story and gives characters stupidity that is not even in character. I doubt we will be seeing that on TW 3, at least Triss seem to not want it and accepts that Geralt may want to find Yen.

I would say that Geralt is always going to be Yen "true" love, mostly because I read some of the books too. I just do not see him with Triss at all but what I am really curious about and looking forward to see, it is his parent relationship with Ciri.

Mihura said:
I hate them with passion too, if you do not know how to do it , simple leave it alone. It takes way from the story and gives characters stupidity that is not even in character. I doubt we will be seeing that on TW 3, at least Triss seem to not want it and accepts that Geralt may want to find Yen.

I would say that Geralt is always going to be Yen "true" love, mostly because I read some of the books too. I just do not see him with Triss at all but what I am really curious about and looking forward to see, it is his parent relationship with Ciri.

Why do you think it's hard to pull off a love triangle? It seems pretty simple to me. CDPR would just have to keep track of what the love interests know about each other and let that have an impact on the story. Now, I don't know of a case where a game has done this convincingly, but that doesn't mean it's hard per se.

Well i`m not planning on limiting my choice to one in particular as in more than one playthrough . So i`ll just wait and see what surprises CD Projeckt RED has in store for us .

What does this love interest really mean? Is this some kind of politically correct name for a relationship nowadays? Or is my English just failing me?

And why should we be able to choose who we romance with?

gregski said:
What does this love interest really mean? Is this some kind of politically correct name for a relationship nowadays? Or is my English just failing me?

Might just be a game term that rose up out of the BSN since that's so often discussed over there. I do feel we should have a choice, I mean to turn down or pursue who we want. The thought of Triss and Yen fighting over Geralt just seems way too dude bro for me. I've always maintained this is tricky territory for the writers, we'll just have to wait and see. Like Mihura said, I'm as interested in Geralt and Ciri's relationship, and if it's feasible I would love for Geralt to meet his mom.

*haven't finished novels yet*

gregski said:

It's originally a name for a Bioware game mechanism. Being 'romanced' gives an NPC special status that causes them to behave differently than they otherwise would. Unfortunately, recent Bioware games have stripped the concept of all subtlety and made it very crude. Now it's essentially a binary state that results in a few extra dialogue options and a sex scene somewhere. This is really too bad, because with proper writing you could make an excellent story with it. I think it could be done right if:

1) Romances were not binary. They would begin subtly and progress or fade gradually and to varying degrees.
2) Romances were not isolated. The particular kind of relationship the PC has with the NPC should impact the main story. That includes degree of feelings, relationship power struggles, love triangles, bitterness after break-up etc.

The more I think about it the more I see huge potential in romances when done properly and intelligently and not as a Bioware-style teenage sex fantasy simulator.

love interest is a pretty old term like partner. it's not the same as life partner, which is a recently invented term used to denote same sex couples in a marriage or civil union(which is pretty redundant as partner already implies such, but often self importance/ego makes people create new terms to describe their "unique' or individual status/situation), although some hipsters, liberals and academics use it to describe their partners even though they are married to a person of a different sex, as a means to appear progressive, to ingratiate themselves among certain social circles, or to show solidarity with gay people(see reason one).

Geralt's "conquests" play an important role in the books in portraying Geralt on an emotional level.

They show that Geralt yearns for Yennefer's love, which is out of reach to him.
So he attempts to fill that gap by bedding other women, to keep himself from breaking apart.

Geralt has grown tough like a rock, but there is a flame in his heart that still flickers and
needs to be fed with warmth every now and then.

What I'm trying to say here is that it'd make sense to include both minor and major romances in TW3,
as they are an important part of the Witcher, but only where they fit into the story.

:)

seamusgod said:
love interest is a pretty old term like partner. it's not the same as life partner, which is a recently invented term used to denote same sex couples in a marriage or civil union(which is pretty redundant as partner already implies such, but often self importance/ego makes people create new terms to describe their "unique' or individual status/situation), although some hipsters, liberals and academics use it to describe their partners even though they are married to a person of a different sex, as a means to appear progressive, to ingratiate themselves among certain social circles, or to show solidarity with gay people(see reason one).

This is true, though I restrict "love interest" to mean a relationship in a drama or drama-like thing like a game. It's much older than games; hell, it's as old as the theater.

In computer games, the love interest, strictly defined and properly implemented (as opposed to being trivial, juvenile, or badly done), was indeed first done by Bioware. But that does not make them the inventor of the trope, which, as you properly observe, is ancient and universal.

GuyN said:
This is true, though I restrict "love interest" to mean a relationship in a drama or drama-like thing like a game. It's much older than games; hell, it's as old as the theater.

In computer games, the love interest, strictly defined and properly implemented (as opposed to being trivial, juvenile, or badly done), was indeed first done by Bioware. But that does not make them the inventor of the trope, which, as you properly observe, is ancient and universal.

Oh so THAT is the cancerous growth ruining their games. Good to know.

Songlian said:
I wouldn't be upset if they didn't give us a final choice about that aspect

I started off being quite adamant about Geralt being given a choice.

But I would certainly prefer a forced romance with Yennefer over a poorly executed and annoying love triangle.
If they can do it well though, in such a way as it does not degrade the characters involved, then that would be the optimum.

like all features

I just don't want it to be shallow, that's pretty much it.

I'm sure CDPR won't make it that way. It's probably only shallow in your minds.

gregski said:

to your first question I don't know it's just something that people say nothing to do with being PC as far as I know.

as for your second question keep in mind that I have not read the book all I know about the witcher is from the games and the sum total of what I know about yen is as follow.

Yen is an old flame they some how got separated and it has something to do with the wild hunt.
Dandelion has call there relationship toxic
they may of had a child a daughter that may or may not be alive.

Please keep in mind that I have not finish the witcher 2 yet.

I feel as if I know far more about Triss but I will admit that she is hiding something. please no spoilers.

Kallelinski said:
Jup, this is probably the biggest problem for them. Not just the Triss/Yennefer thing, but the whole amnesia. The transition from Geralt with amnesia (= player) to the Geralt with all memories (= book reader) is gonna be a big problem in my opinion, but they already said that you don't need to play the previous games to understand Witcher 3, so they seem to be quite confident about it and yet many things need to be explained for the player, i guess.

An no one said that Geralt with amnesia should transition to Geralt without it the way he was before.

Gilrond said:
An no one said that Geralt with amnesia should transition to Geralt without it the way he was before.

no one said that they can't and it could be very interesting if done well (so for it has) but I still hope we are able to choose.

Top Bottom