Shader bug/pixellation in cutscenes on widescreen

+
Here's what i've found.If in the registry HKEYCU\Software\CD Projeckt RED\Witcher\Settings you modify the value of AntiAliasingMode to 8 the blurry effect disappear without override the default video setting and set the light to low. At least it works for me.EDIT: Wrong! my mistake. It doesn't work.

Count me in among those who have the blurry screen thing after cutscenes and conversations.That didn't happen pre-Enhanced. I also have a very annoying high pitched sound whenever Geralt meditates. I have to keep my speakers switched off during meditation else I fear that sound will damage them. Does anyone knows anything about that?What about the next patch, when is it coming? Specs: Core2Quad, 8800GTX, XiFi XtremeGamer, 2GB RAM, WinXP SP3EDIT: I have the latest sound and graphics drivers.

I managed to fix the problem using nhancer to tweak the witcher profile defined by nvidia. Each driver that nvidia release "includes" profiles for games currently on the market. With an adanced tool like nhancer, for example, you can access and modify these profiles. It's like the nvidia control panel, but with much more options available.In nhancer i force anti-aliasing mode using the option "Enhance in-game AA setting". Here are the explanations given by nhancer author for this option :"Usually, if you force an Anti-Aliasing mode through the driver, all rendering is done with the AA mode selected, regardless of what the application itself tells the driver to do.This works with most games. But especially more current games have an option to enable AA within the game itself and give the driver very specific information where to apply AA and where not.Enabling AA from within the game is more compatible and more efficient than forcing the AA mode through the driver, but has the disadvantage, that you're limited to the AA modes available in the game's options.If you enable the option "Enhance in-game AA setting", AA will only be applied as defined by the game - so you have to enable AA in the game as well. But the driver still controls which AA mode is applied, which gives you the best results: optimal compatibility and efficiency while still being able to use all the new modes offered by nVidia."I also forced 16x anisotropic filtering.The problem in game has almost disappeared for me. If you have a SLI system like me, don't forget to set SLI mode to "Alternate Frame Rendering", to uncheck the 09 flag and to check the 03 flag. That fixes the problem of sun and lightnings visible through walls.Anyway, even if we can fix the problem using advanced tools (for nvidia users), this very annoying bug has to be fixed by the devs.

Oh my! I don't have that kind of texture problems like on that screenshot, but in cutscenes I encounter a weird interlacing effect or something. It's only in the cutscenes! Attached a screenshot (click the thumb to get a larger one). It's pretty obvious if you see it in motion, but a bit harder on a static image, so I put circles there to highlight. In terms of display technology it's called "banding" iirc. However its not related to my monitor and as I said, I can only see it during cutscenes on The Witcher game.Disabling Depth-blurriness (dunno how its called in English) made it a bit better, but I can still see it.My graficscard is a nvidia 8800gt (slightly OC version of the XFX company) with official driver version 177.83, on WinXP 32bit SP3.[edit]attached a better quality JPG[/edit]

calvin, your solution made things even blurrier for me. Which got me thinking. Maybe the engine has problems understanding AA and AF? Maybe it forces some kind of AA for the cutscenes and dialogue thus completely screwing up the settings?

Arisilde said:
So i just bough the game today and installed it. I'm having some graphical errors. I'm pretty sure my drivers are all updated so i really don't know why this could be. in the intro movie as they are draggin geralt back on the cart, the light hitting the mountains was all pixelated. after the first battle and cutscenes were filled with graphical tears and polygons that looked like they were showing through from the background. i have a pretty nice comp, with a pair of ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 in crossfire mode. i shouldn't have any problems running this game. attached is my pcwizard printout. can anyone tell me what the problem is?
i've merged your thread in the big one, look around for tips

Is CD-Project aware of these problems? I mean one would expect a fully patched game after the extra polishing time.

bobos said:
Is CD-Project aware of these problems? I mean one would expect a fully patched game after the extra polishing time.
these got fixed by messing around in the video drivers control panels, somehow i don't think that CDP will need to fix these

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
these got fixed by messing around in the video drivers control panels, somehow i don't think that CDP will need to fix these
Yes they do because for me it doesn't work to mess around with the nvidia control panel aka forcing AF etc.

I agree. Many people here including me experience the blurred image after cutscenes and playing with nVIDIA CP 3D setting does not help. The only thing that help is lowering Light quality, so this all seems to me like typical bug.

I too am having blurry issues with the EE. I had the interlaced looking cutscenes/conversations, but I fixed that by forcing AA. I still have the odd occasional burriness in world textures after cutscenes/conversations. It's really hard on the eyes. geforce 8800 gts 640 with latest drivers.

Just wanted to add that I suffer this also on an 8800GT (plenty of card for this game). I don't want to turn lighting quality down as it makes the rest of the game look worse.

Captbigbeard said:
Ok I have a question for you guys with the problem? Do your graphics get fuzzy and smudgey, AFTER a conversation or cutscene? Load up a game, look at your character then talk to someone or go to a cutscene. Make sure you start the game at a point where your just standing around doin nothin.If it is the cutscene and/or conversations that seems to trigger this you are one amongst a many who have this problem.
My graphics too get blurry after a cutscene. It's like there is a filter being applied. It's almost like I'm wearing glasses with a slightly weak prescription. I'm using a geforce 8800 gts with latest drivers.

I'm not sure it was wise to merge the The Witcher graphic blurr problem with shader pixellation bug, they are two different problems. with the blurr bug, the graphics become very fuzzy and blurry after a conversation or in game movie. but are not pixellated at all. I just don't want to confuse people who have the two different bugs. everbody lets try to get CD Projekt attention to this blurr graphics bug.

Bart8234 said:
I'm not sure it was wise to merge the The Witcher graphic blurr problem with shader pixellation bug, they are two different problems. with the blurr bug, the graphics become very fuzzy and blurry after a conversation or in game movie. but are not pixellated at all. I just don't want to confuse people who have the two different bugs. everbody lets try to get CD Projekt attention to this blurr graphics bug.
Ya, I'm not standing for this. I just made another blurr thread in response to the merging of the first. I thought I made it clear that they were two very diffrent issues. Guess I didn't make it clear enough. Or more likly they just didn't read my post. It's like they see the word cutscene and toss the two together because of that.I'm making a new thread, if they close that one then I give up. Why the hell they would try to hamper us from fixing our problem is beyond me.

As mentioned by the previous two posters, there are two very different problems being discussed here and should not have been merged. :mad:I am suffering from the same problem as Kamano with the banding pixelation bug in cutscenes.Apparently its due to the cutscenes not rendering properly at 16:10 resolution.I have a ATI Radeon HD4870 and the way I have been able to fix it is to lower the lighting effects to medium and leave the rest at high.stubbs

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
No, it doesn't fix the blurriness after the cutscenes or dialogues. Forcing AF fixes the cutscenes themselves only.

I have noticed that there is no AA and possibly no AF during cutscenes and conversations. I have both AA and AF maxed but I can tell no difference if it is set to 0.Here is a screen shot with no AA and AF on: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23214498@N02/2877514897/Here is a shot with AA and AF on: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23214498@N02/2878347726/Any tips on getting it to work? AA and AF work just fine in normal game.

Not sure if this is related, but when the game loads and after the initial video plays, I have an issue. Game is set to 1680x1050. When it switches from the movie playback to the game engine cutscene, it comes up with the black bands across the top and bottom of the screen. Rather than being black bands, they are black bands with white boxes over them that have the appearance of corrupted textures, or somewhat like a TV that is on a channel where there's no channel, only snow. But the snow has blue, green, and red mixed in. It's only on the black band are though, the actual 3d cutscene is clear, no glitches. This glitch lasts until the game begins and goes from banded cutscene to full screen gameplay. After you play a bit and the next 3d cutscene plays out the white corrupted looking boxes in the bands are gone.

Top Bottom