So....anyone noticed change in Yennefer's model?

+
So....anyone noticed change in Yennefer's model?

When "Sword of Destiny" trailer was announced for the game, you can clearly see Yennefer has short hair.

Now in the actual game, Yennefer has longer hair

I'm not really bothered by the change (Considering she looks hot either way), but still have to wonder why they changed her look.

Isn't the face also a bit different? Now if they would get rid of the moles on her neck I'd find her a lil more acceptable, the in game model is far from the passionate, intense Yennefer I have pictured in my head. I'm no fan of moles either ;)

There was a lot of pre-release feedback on the forums about Yen's looks, and yes, they changed it, as they did with the planned look for Geralt before TW2. So drop the attitude, please.

Im sorry but he said majority of gamers, not witcher fans registered on this forum. Didnt mean to be rude, just saying there's no way 50% of gamer even know who Yen is.

When "Sword of Destiny" trailer was announced for the game, you can clearly see Yennefer has short hair.

Now in the actual game, Yennefer has longer hair

I'm not really bothered by the change (Considering she looks hot either way), but still have to wonder why they changed her look.

There is a great article here http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-17-inside-the-witcher-3-launch- in the comments section the author of the article mentioned this:

Regarding the game's art, there were issues mainly with Yennefer's face (you can see some of the evolution in gallery in the article).

"The biggest problem on the characters was Yennefer," lead character artist Pawel Mielniczuk says. " She changed a lot. We prepared like four versions of her face and she looks completely different. The first of them were released with the cosplayers guide...

"It was heavily disliked by our community. That was a big disappointment for us. The picture was very unfortunate. That was the first time we showed the character and it's very important for everybody, for the players and us, and it was just unfortunate. It was supposed to be a small cosplayers guide sent to a few people: unfortunately when you throw it to the internet it appears everywhere and there was a huge wave of criticism about the face. And the face was a scan. It took us almost half a year to find the proper face model for us. It was Klaudia Wróbel, a Polish model, and she was initially scanned for the Platige [Image - CGI company] movie - the movie that's opening the game. There you can see her face; she's scanned in there, modelled, put in the game and she's playing Yennefer.

"We took the scanned face from the Platige Image and modelled it to work in game and... then the problems start. It didn't match that good. We loved how Klaudia looked in pictures ... but we didn't manage to achieve the same look with our in-game model."

In the end, Yennefer was stylised - tweaked by hand for the game.

---------- Updated at 12:02 PM ----------

Wrobel Klaudia:

Last edited:
There is a great article here http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-17-inside-the-witcher-3-launch- in the comments section the author of the article mentioned this:

Regarding the game's art, there were issues mainly with Yennefer's face (you can see some of the evolution in gallery in the article).

"The biggest problem on the characters was Yennefer," lead character artist Pawel Mielniczuk says. " She changed a lot. We prepared like four versions of her face and she looks completely different. The first of them were released with the cosplayers guide...

"It was heavily disliked by our community. That was a big disappointment for us. The picture was very unfortunate. That was the first time we showed the character and it's very important for everybody, for the players and us, and it was just unfortunate. It was supposed to be a small cosplayers guide sent to a few people: unfortunately when you throw it to the internet it appears everywhere and there was a huge wave of criticism about the face. And the face was a scan. It took us almost half a year to find the proper face model for us. It was Klaudia Wróbel, a Polish model, and she was initially scanned for the Platige [Image - CGI company] movie - the movie that's opening the game. There you can see her face; she's scanned in there, modelled, put in the game and she's playing Yennefer.

"We took the scanned face from the Platige Image and modelled it to work in game and... then the problems start. It didn't match that good. We loved how Klaudia looked in pictures ... but we didn't manage to achieve the same look with our in-game model."

In the end, Yennefer was stylised - tweaked by hand for the game.

I still like both, It's a shame her nose changed so much, her nose was a little closer to her book description, but her jawline, and face in general, is much better in the final release.

Her hair was improved a lot.

Matters not, Yenna is beautiful regardless.

She did look a little too young in the first version to me however.

I was wondering why Yennifer in the opening scenes didn't look like the Yennifer in the rest of the game. First two plays I thought that was Ceri in the opening scenes...sure didn't look anything like Yenn.

There was quite a big uproar from fans here about her early looks. Glad they changed it, the earlier version (that with brown hair) was really bad.

---------- Zaktualizowano 13:10 ----------

I was wondering why Yennifer in the opening scenes didn't look like the Yennifer in the rest of the game. First two plays I thought that was Ceri in the opening scenes...sure didn't look anything like Yenn.

It's the opening cinematic, of course she looks different than her ingame model. Same with Geralt btw.

It's the opening cinematic, of course she looks different than her ingame model. Same with Geralt btw.

Nah not just that it's the opening scene. Yenn looked nothing at all like her in game character...not an iota of continuity....different hair, different face entirely. You can tell it was produced very early in the development cycle, prior to the Yenn overhaul.

Nah not just that it's the opening scene. Yenn looked nothing at all like her in game character...not an iota of continuity....different hair, different face entirely. You can tell it was produced very early in the development cycle, prior to the Yenn overhaul.

Ah, ok. I must have misunderstood your post, I thought you were asking why Yen looks different in the opening cinematic than her CURRENT ingame model ;)

bet that the issue they got with transfering the model's face to a 3D model was caused by... the make-up. Dammit, it's not easy extracting the natural face of a made-up model from some pictures. Had CDPR's team designers the unmade-up model's face too?... Sorry, but I hardly doubt.... ;)

Guest 3847602

Wow, I'm definitely glad the changed her face from cosplay guide, didn't mind her SoD trailer look apart from hair colour. Speaking of negative reaction from community, how did fans receive Triss's redesign?

Tuco

Forum veteran
but still have to wonder why they changed her look.
Things change constantly during development.
More often than not because of early feedback.

There really isn't much more that should need to be said, in all honesty; I've already seen other users mentioning specific quotes about Yen from the developers, so there's your answer in this case, but in the end anecdotal explanations for this particular case are a bit beyond the point, as the general principle stands across pretty much any production you could think of.

here's the general rule:

"Why did you guys change this?"
"Because we thought that what we picked in the end was the better option"

Still think Tomira is the hottest brunette babe in this game. Those tight red pants do her justice while she is working at her table, hahhaa. Yen is hot as hell too.

Top Bottom