So much negativity around Homecoming on gog.com

+
Yeah, let's not talk about Homecoming on Gwent forums. Because the truth hurts, innit?

And which truth is that? It appears as if Thronebreaker Homecoming has failed, looking at the backlash, but we cannot say for sure. Regardless, it still hurts. Not because you (might) think I work for CDPR and need to defend them, but because I am a player myself and I hate to see the game I love being tossed away by the community.

And then CDPR took the game we all loved and turned it into RNG fest. [...] What happened to the consistency of our decks? What happened to outplaying your opponent just because you are good at this game, not because he draw better?

On the other hand, Gwent was too consistent, with every game playing out the same because you could draw your whole deck. And Homecoming is still more consistent than any other CCG out there, especially Magic the Gathering with its mana screw/flood. If the new "card draw system" is your definition of a RNG fest, then I'll respect your opinion. But let me give you some advice: don't every try another CCG because you won't like the RNG fest it offers.

Even in the worst Gwent times there were 6-8 good competitive decks. Now it's either Crach, or Eithne, or Morvran, or some meme deck you casually beat.

That is simply not true. Gwent had a very stale meta with only 3 competitive decks plenty of times. Now, Homecoming has various competitive decks. Also, Morvran isn't even tier 1 (but still good). Other good decks include: Big Woodland, Woodland Control, Foltest Orders, Nilfgaard Witchers. You can say a lot of things about Homecoming, but the meta is not worse than Gwent's.

Last edited:
You couldn't be more wrong about this. This may work in other products (eg. smartphones) but not in gaming.

The same can be said about the most recent fiasco with Bethesda and Fallout 76. People didnt wanted it and it is failing hard.

I mean, its really simple business - you find a niche, you market to that niche and give them something that is actually of value. You offer them something there is a demand for, then you capitalize on that. It is not easy to do, but when done correctly it is a powerful thing indeed; hence Capitalism.

Gaming companies have many issues. Demographics is one of those issues - you have a target audience, you build upon it; not abandon it. They're making a stupid decision and need to go back to their roots, but refuse for ideological reasons. Which is fine. The market will correct itself in due time - however unfortunate that is for consumers like myself.

If you create products / services for everyone generally, you appeal to no one group in particular, so fewer people actually care about what you are doing. And with some time on-top of all this, the erosion will simple manifest.

But whatever. No one really cares, and I probably shouldn't be posting this comment here.

Oh right, language. Well, I tried.
Additionally, I know I said "Ideological reasons" but this isn't always the case, for some simply want to expand their market share and in doing so try to appease groups which do not align with their target demographic or game principles well.

Last edited:
You couldn't be more wrong about this.

You quoted me out of context and twisted my statement. First off, I also stated right after: "I am not talking about Homecoming here." Next, "Great companies give people something they didn't even know they wanted." only applies to companies that have successfully pulled it off. The pioneers, so to speak; not Blizzard (or Bethesda).

When a game loses identity, it dies.

When a game loses its identity it gets swallowed up in the ocean of clones and that's bad for business. Whether it dies depends on the studio('s effort).

@mli_dragon

Right, so, now that everything is cleared up, we can put the discussion to rest.
It reminds me of an adolescent teenager picking up his bruised arse and leaves a snarky remark: "You beat me up cuz I let you." It was so obvious that your motive was to defend CDPR and HC, but when pressed on the matter, you back tracked claiming that wasn't true that you were merely stating, generalizing stuffs. When pressed further, you came back with yeah right let's end this goodbye. Then goes on to quote others and repeat the cycle. I didn't know moderators set the terms when to start or end a discussion. I am being rhetorical of course. I really hope all moderators to stay as neutral as possible no matter what the subject matter is and only participate to offer information like in other forums. But again, who am I to tell others what to do.

It was so obvious that your motive was to defend CDPR and HC [...] I really hope all moderators to stay as neutral as possible no matter what the subject matter is and only participate to offer information like in other forums. But again, who am I to tell others what to do.

Like I have stated countless times, with regards to the ratings, I did not have any motive to defend CDPR or Homecoming. It started out as a generalization and users jumped on it and lashed out thinking I was defending CDPR. More importantly, just when I mentioned everything is cleared up, you pull a 180 and throw this back at me.

I am a player first and foremost. I care about Gwent as a player, not as someone affiliated with CDPR. I cannot state it more clearly than this.
My moderator duties are about upholding the forum guidelines to have a healthy discussion. Beyond that I am just a person with an opinion.

Instead of criticizing what people like or dislike we should be united what we like and what we dislike about HC. I'm really thinking about bringing the old game back as a second option, something like DLC. They can put even price no problem for me. Why? Because there are also people who like HC and I can't say anything about it plus I don't care. I just want the old game back.

Gwent as we know it is dead. It's not the minigame from Witcher 3. It's something from Witcher Tales yet they still kept the Gwent name for the online version. Even if you enjoy Homecoming, it's NOT Homecoming. It's misleading and people have every right to be mad even if it's not rational. We've wasted 2 years on a game that doesn't exist anymore.

Like I have stated countless times, with regards to the ratings, I did not have any motive to defend CDPR or Homecoming. It started out as a generalization and users jumped on it and lashed out thinking I was defending CDPR. More importantly, just when I mentioned everything is cleared up, you pull a 180 and throw this back at me.

I am a player first and foremost. I care about Gwent as a player, not as someone affiliated with CDPR. I cannot state it more clearly than this. My moderator duties are about upholding the forum guidelines to have a healthy discussion. Beyond that I am just a person with an opinion.
First of all, there's nothing wrong to defend CDPR or HC. Secondly, you don't have to affiliate with CDPR to have a motive or an opinion to defend them or their products. What is the point of your generalization if there isn't a reason behind it to generalize it in the first place? There was no misunderstanding nor misinterpretation of your words. What you said IS what you meant. The things that have been cleared up or turned 180 is your understating of the ratings.

Personally, I was really bothered by that sentence. That dismissiveness with that assertion, sounded more like just a person with an opinion.

My only 2 cents to this thread:
I usually dont suport the 1 star ratings methodology... But when people blindly throw 10/10 or 5/5 ratings at a clearly flawed product then 1/10 or 1/5 becomes the only viable counter.
In a perfect world this would not be nessesary, but sadly we are not in said such world.

PS:
CDPR has in my opinion grown a little too much, and a little too fast, with what apears to be an insatiable and unhealty thirst for "something" (money?) (recognition?). It seems they wish to get their hands everywhere, and get a cut of everything, so far with little sucess (thankfully?) in most regards.

- Digital Distribution and Gaming Social Platfoms(GoG.com and Galaxy) - A good solid product with good ideas/principles behind it. It's Community Wishlist feature been in beta for 6 years tho, so it has room for improvements.
- Comics(Dark Horse Comics) - Variable quality and value to say the least.
- Moba and mobile market(The Witcher Battle Arena) - "mixed or average" reception. Abandoned and pulled from stores.
- Boardgame(The Witcher Adventure Game) - "mixed or average" reception. Abandoned(no further support).
- Cardgames and esports(GWET The Witcher Card Game) - After a succesfull beta, we now see how this released product is turning out...
- Episodic games(Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales) - Sighly above average game overall, with some good story points but lackluster gameplay.

Most of these side projects have only served to damage the reputation of the company, and to puddle the merit of the witcher franchise as a whole.
I personally just wish they would have stick to what they do best, RPGs!!!!! with a side of GoG. Everything else in my opinion just feels like a waste of resources that could have been better spent on further improving their main line of products(EE for TW3, remaster and console ports of TW1 & 2, etc).

Last edited:
Just wait till the console backlash joins the 4th,it will hit the fan
Post automatically merged:

I thought I'd share this old video so the new players could see what we are all missing. Like I've said it wasn't perfect but was a blast
this gave goosebumps

I thought I'd share this old video so the new players could see what we are all missing. Like I've said it wasn't perfect but was a blast

CDPR really needs to upgrade us to those graphics. Man, wow. They're SOOO GOOD.

P.S. GJ CDPR graphics people. I don't care what type of flak gets thrown at your leaders/boards. It looks good in comparison.

Instead of criticizing what people like or dislike we should be united what we like and what we dislike about HC. I'm really thinking about bringing the old game back as a second option, something like DLC. They can put even price no problem for me. Why? Because there are also people who like HC and I can't say anything about it plus I don't care. I just want the old game back.

Trouble is a lot of the likes are also dislikes. I like some impacts from the HC changes but dislike others. Some I still can't make up my mind about. So much confusion....

Thronebreaker is good but very easy, played in the last difficulty and there was no hard match except in the puzzles...

Yes, it's really easy. Even puzzles are mostly too trivial. Sneaking puzzle is the only one that took me more than 3 tries.

And which truth is that? It appears as if Thronebreaker has failed, looking at the backlash, but we cannot say for sure. Regardless, it still hurts. Not because you (might) think I work for CDPR and need to defend them, but because I am a player myself and I hate to see the game I love being tossed away by the community.

On the other hand, Gwent was too consistent, with every game playing out the same because you could draw your whole deck. And Homecoming is still more consistent than any other CCG out there, especially Magic the Gathering with its mana screw/flood. If the new "card draw system" is your definition of a RNG fest, then I'll respect your opinion. But let me give you some advice: don't every try another CCG because you won't like the RNG fest it offers.

That is simply not true. Gwent had a very stale meta with only 3 competitive decks plenty of times. Now, Homecoming has various competitive decks. Also, Morvran isn't even tier 1 (but still good). Other good decks include: Big Woodland, Woodland Control, Foltest Orders, Nilfgaard Witchers. You can say a lot of things about Homecoming, but the meta is not worse than Gwent's.

Erm, how exactly Thronebreaker failed? Negative reviews are because of Homecoming.

Then, it has 400 reviews on GOG and 700 on Steam, which leads me to think they sold around 50k copies, which is not bad for a niche game like that. Hopefully they didn't expect it to sell like The Witcher 3, eh?

Now, I won't comment on the meta: I already did that in one of the other posts. Long story short: even this summer, during the GS meta, there were 8-10 competitive decks allowing you to reach at least rank 20 while keeping your winrate above 70% with any of those decks. I know because I reached rank 20-21 in Gwent every season in the open beta, and I never played easy stuff like coinflip Brouver or GS. And after playing HC for a month and seeing Eithne opponents in 70% of my games, I can say for sure the game is not fun to play because all you stuff is instantly removed (unless you use Eithne/Crach too).

On the other hand, Gwent was too consistent, with every game playing out the same because you could draw your whole deck. And Homecoming is still more consistent than any other CCG out there, especially Magic the Gathering with its mana screw/flood.

And that's exactly why we loved Gwent! Skill beats luck, remember? This consistency allowed some cool combo decks to exist and be countered by mill.

"Still more consistent" is not good enough, because even with the witchers and Roach you go through 19 cards of your deck before mulligans (and you usually have to spend 1-2 of your mulligans to toss away one of the witchers and/or Roach before R1). If you can't draw one of you big plays, you simply lose. If one of your big plays gets destroyed by a viper witcher, you lose. If Kambi discards your key unit, you lose. That's it. No way to play around it, and that's why this type of RNG is the worst. And that's also why Skellige discard is so strong: it lets to go through the whole deck and pull the stuff you want.

I played Foltest and lost a game against SK swords yesterday only because I didn't draw neither Seltkirk nor Gaunter. And my opponent got both greatswords, Dagur, Ragnarok and Nivellen.

Yes, other card games have less consistency, but all cards in your deck have roughly the same power (per mana cost, of course), so pulling or not pulling one specific card doesn't matter as much. Besides, other CCGs have a lot of tutors (Eternal even has a fun market mechanics) and card draw mechanics (some of which also allow you to see the top card of your deck).

Last edited:
Erm, how exactly Thronebreaker failed? Negative reviews are because of Homecoming.

Whoops, I meant Homecoming. Corrected my post.

And after playing HC for a month and seeing Eithne opponents in 70% of my games, I can say for sure the game is not fun to play because all you stuff is instantly removed (unless you use Eithne/Crach too).

That's a better point to make. Eithné seems prevalent because it's the easiest competitive deck to play. I guess therein lies the issue. Removal shouldn't be that easy.

"Still more consistent" is not good enough [...]

I understand your explanation, but I do not share your concerns.

Let the ship sink, my friends. Let it go down in flames, in then like the phoenix, rise for the ashes and be reborn as the game we played, loved, appreciated, tested, rated positively and recommended. Right now, all we have left to do as watch as the free market does what it does. A decision by CDPR to re-roll Gwent to what it used to be would be painful, but worth it in the long-run.

You say that like HS is a good game. No its not. Homecoming is still better than HS, and this is in view of the fact that Homecoming is Fallout76 from the world of CCG

Top Bottom