Sound and EAX ( mss32.dll ) issues

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I would like to thank CD-Projekt, what they have done is EXTREMELY RARE. I have seen it done in very few games such as unreal tournament, soldier of fortune (pre-payday :)). So in short thank you for the extra content, and not alienating your customers. Enough kissing-up lol, time for my fix. Here are a list of things you will need to do FIRST before you get to a point1. Make sure your video driver is the LATEST.2. Make sure your audio driver is the LATEST.3. Make sure you have a pure-client (at least for now) this means uninstalling the game, then reinstalling it.4. Make sure you have windows installed to SP3.5. Download patch 1.3 for the Witcher, I know a lot of you guys are thinking, "but the recently released patch upgrades retail to 1.4." Yes but I suspect that from what i am reading the files included with the latest patch are corrupt and installing 1.3 should put the correct files where they need to be where they don't have to be upgraded. Then 1.4 will just look on to upgrade the rest keeping the rest of your install pure and uncorrupted. This is the only way i can explain it.6. Download patch 1.4 for the Witcher.7. Pray (because it always helps, it never hurts ;D).The problems i had is The Witcher WOULD NOT run at all, it would crash every time I clicked the icon. So my fix should at least help some of you fix your problem. Now we get down to the nitty gritty. First off go to start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore. Then once you are there click create restore point. Name it whatever you desire I named it "before patching the witcher." Click create, then hit close.Next BEFORE YOU INSTALL ANY PATCHES AT ALL, EVEN 1.3, go and open up the witcher then click options when at the main menu. Then click the sound tab at the top. Now it should say EAX enabled and if it has a check mark next to it, click it off so it is a blank grey box. Now exit from the witcher.Next install patch 1.3 Create another restore point from the first step and name it after patch 1.3Next install patch 1.4I downloaded my patch from file planet as part of a HUGE package, it included the English dialogue, both add-ons, the editor, and apparently the blood-patch. Here is the link http://www.fileplanet.com/185053/180000/fileinfo/The-Witcher---The-Witcher-Enhanced-Edition-Full-PatchOnce you have waited 2 hours for the patch to install give or take 3 hours ( only kidding mine averaged between 30min and 45 min to install), create another restoration point named, "after patching witcher 1.4."Now see if witcher works. If it does then install all your mods... if your mods mess it up you can use the aforementioned restore point to get everything back to working fine and dandy. If it doesn't load up here is the last thing you can do. Go to start, then run, then type in dxdiag then press enter. Once you press enter it will bring up the direct-x diagnostic utility. go to the sound tab at the top, then on this page there should be a slider, slide it down one notch then close then try to run the game... if one notch doesn't work... repeat the process until it does, some people has found all the way down works best... mine is still at full using MY method of getting the patch to work.Cheers, and good luck from your old pal liquidclown on getting this great game to work. Ill check in on this thread from time to time, and work to see if i cant find a fix for the EAX problem. Because a 3d game cant immerse you in the world it has created if you are listening to 2d sound LOL. More on the EAX temporary fix will be posted shortly on this thread if i get it to work :).[MOD]Don't bump your posts in less that 24 hours.[/MOD]

LicaonKter said:
TheWitcher1.4EE_EAX_fixBackup your files from "The Witcher\System\Miles\" folder, then overwrite them with these
Code:
File name   Size       ------------  --------------- mssdolby.flt       7,168 mssds3d.flt       11,776 mssdsp.flt       55,296 msseax.flt       58,880 mssmp3.asi       149,504 msssrs.flt       13,824 mssvoice.asi      214,528 total files 7  total size    510,976
from version 1.3 of the game.After this you can get SOUND ACCELERATION back on maximum setting, you can also enable EAX in game.Good luck!10x to all the users posting this before, post if it works for you.
I tried this and now EAX is working. My soundcard is Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer. Thank you. And for who not has the files. I uploaded these files to RapidShare. Now you can try too. :)http://rapidshare.com/files/147209217/TheWitcher14EAXFix.rar.html

Thank lisior - your solution works fine.Still, as with 1.3, EAX has to be deactivated and then reactivated with every time I want to play, which leaves the intro in simple stereo instead of 7.1, but at least ingame EAX and 7.1 sound work again.Good wirk! :)Greetings,franz66

Hi all,I just installed EE and wanted to start playing again after completing the game pre-EE. Unfortunately all game sound now no longer works (sound works on the PC in everything else, just not post-EE Witcher). It was working pre-EE, and now after the installation it no longer works.Any suggestions?Thanks much!-Bob Stewart

LicaonKter said:
TheWitcher1.4EE_EAX_fixBackup your files from "The Witcher\System\Miles\" folder, then overwrite them with these
Code:
File name    Size       ------------  ---------------  mssdolby.flt       7,168  mssds3d.flt       11,776  mssdsp.flt        55,296  msseax.flt        58,880  mssmp3.asi       149,504  msssrs.flt        13,824  mssvoice.asi      214,528  total files 7  total size     510,976
from version 1.3 of the game.After this you can get SOUND ACCELERATION back on maximum setting, you can also enable EAX in game.Good luck!10x to all the users posting this before, post if it works for you.
This worked! Thanks!!!

lisior said:
Code:
File name   Size       ------------  --------------- mssdolby.flt       7,168 mssds3d.flt       11,776 mssdsp.flt       55,296 msseax.flt       58,880 mssmp3.asi       149,504 msssrs.flt       13,824 mssvoice.asi      214,528 total files 7  total size    510,976
from version 1.3 of the game.
Could you zip these files and upload them to someplace they can be downloaded? It already took me 2 days to get EE installed and I don't want to start all over with patch 1.3 installed. That'd be great if you could. The devs really messed up this patch.

KillerKoala said:
KillerKoala said:
Code:
from version 1.3 of the game.
Could you zip these files and upload them to someplace they can be downloaded? It already took me 2 days to get EE installed and I don't want to start all over with patch 1.3 installed. That'd be great if you could. The devs really messed up this patch.
I zipped and uploaded look at my post please. ;)

I initially had the same problem with crashing as everyone else... after trying a few things (removing the Miles subdirectory and then re-adding the 1.3 versions) I got into the game.... however I now have a problem where only the SFX will play... the music and voices do not play. Anyone else having this issue? I tried lowering acceleration back to Standard, however that doesn't seem to do the job... (I'm using Realtek HD Audio onboard sound)

Turning down the audio acceleration in the sounds and audio devices in the control panel allows the game to boot. I am running XP w/SP3.These boards are so friggin unorganized. This needs to be stickied so people don't have to hunt for this solution. Not a fix just a work around.

That sounds like the problem referenced in this thread Glad to hear you got your game sorted out :)Segmentor and I resorted to using ticket tracking software (the kind that IT helpdesks use to log and track jobs) and Google Docs to keep track of the problems. Interestingly, we found out there's only a small number of unique problems. Anyway, that's neither here nor there :) Happy gaming! :)

LicaonKter said:
Code:
from version 1.3 of the game.After this you can get SOUND ACCELERATION back on maximum setting, you can also enable EAX in game.
I read all 15 pages of this link Licaon_Kter on page 9 put a link to "miles" and wanted us to do a down load. What was the deal with that. He gave no explanation.

Go to "Run", type dxdiag and hit Enter, Under Sound Properties, slide ur hardware acceleration back one notch behind full acceleration. The game should start without a hitch. There is a workaround if u know how to mess with flt files, but if u don't just do this and your game will run great. Hopefully, the devs have seen this and will make a patch available.

GotToTasteIt said:
I read all 15 pages of this link Licaon_Kter on page 9 put a link to "miles" and wanted us to do a down load. What was the deal with that. He gave no explanation.
it's a solution to the crashing mentioning "mss32.dll" it's in the opening post too

Replacing the files fixed the issue for me as well. Thank you for providing them for download. Otherwise I'd have had to re-install and repatch etc. 8)

So now I have the solution, just turn your hardware acceleration off for the sound.It worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom