Sound and EAX ( mss32.dll ) issues

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately I don't have access to 1.3 files.I do have access to typing dxdiag in the run of XP and can change the direct X Sound Acceleration from "Full Acceleration" to "Standard Acceleration". That worked.Hope this helps. :beer:

Specimen said:
Unfortunately I don't have access to 1.3 files.I do have access to typing dxdiag in the run of XP and can change the direct X Sound Acceleration from "Full Acceleration" to "Standard Acceleration". That worked.
@Specimen - the very first post in this topic has a link to access the 1.3 files. Download it & follow the instructions...you'll then be able to use EAX & enable full hardware acceleration for your sound.@Everyone with this same issue or with one similar - Please do as the first post in this thread suggests, it will probably fix your problem. :peace:

Licaon, I'm asking you again. Is anyone aware of the issue I'm facing or am I alone in this? Can you please make any suggestion?

bobos said:
Licaon, I'm asking you again. Is anyone aware of the issue I'm facing or am I alone in this? Can you please make any suggestion?
record sample of problem, with both X-Fi and onboard. please

Hello again>Thanks for pointing out that the first post has the 1.3 files link at the top of the message in a gray text to enable Full Acceleration for Creative Labs X-Fi Cards.I missed it. :peace:**edit** Ok replaced the files and set my Hardware to Full acceleration and it works great! Wow the EE edition is well worth the wait. Thanks for your help! :beer: **edit**

I have a Xi-Fi Xtreme gamer, but in the menu it is grayed out and i cannot enable it? Vista 64 here.No one knows?[MOD]Use the EDIT button[/MOD]

bobos said:
Is anyone aware of the issue I'm facing or am I alone in this? Can you please make any suggestion?
@bobos, if you are talking about the high pitched sound problem, I'd highly recommend downloading the most current creative labs XFi drivers & audio console software for your card/OS. Once they are installed, replace the files per the first post in this thread & try again.I've had similar problems with sound in other games and updating both the drivers and the audio console software resolved them. The specific crashing issue regarding The Witcher was resolved for me by following the instructions in the first post of this thread.@Specimen, No Problem...I actually missed it the first few times I read it myself. May have to do with the color of the link or something.

Just looking for a little clarification: These are the files presented to usmssdolby.flt 7,168 mssds3d.flt 11,776 mssdsp.flt 55,296 msseax.flt 58,880 mssmp3.asi 149,504 msssrs.flt 13,824 mssvoice.asi 214,528 But the only one we need to use is msseax.flt ??I installed the others when this first came out but its ok for me to put all the other originals back into the folder now since we only need the one?

zodden said:
I installed the others when this first came out but its ok for me to put all the other originals back into the folder now since we only need the one?
I don't know either way but why not just leave the files as you have them since it works as-is...? ???

Thank you, I couldn't launch my game and this solved my issue. WEE 1.4. Retail box, upgraded by download.However I still have a small problem. Whenever my hardware acceleration is maxed AND I turn on EAX (undoing either removes this), I have a screeching sound whenever Gerald rests (medidates). Occasionally its rather faint, just enough to annoy me, but other times it was so sudden, loud, and incredibly high-pitched, that i instinctively jumped on my sound remote to shut down everything, lest it damages my hardware. I have an Audigy2 sound card from creative with the latest drivers. This pretty much forces me to play without EAX, so if anyone has a fix, it would be appreciated. Thank you!

I get a crash as soon as I start the game. Worked fine before applying 1.4 patch. I've tried updating all drivers and have applied fix in first post and still nothing. Any ideas?

intheflow said:
intheflow said:
I installed the others when this first came out but its ok for me to put all the other originals back into the folder now since we only need the one?
I don't know either way but why not just leave the files as you have them since it works as-is...? ???
In the "new FAQ" it mentions that some people were getting dialogue cuttoffs with this fix. Although it hasn't happened to me I figured the less files I had to over-write the better. ;)

zodden said:
But the only one we need to use is msseax.flt ??I installed the others when this first came out but its ok for me to put all the other originals back into the folder now since we only need the one?
this is an unofficial fix, that is just a remark, if it works by only replacing that single file, it should narrow the solution search
zodden said:
However I still have a small problem. Whenever my hardware acceleration is maxed AND I turn on EAX (undoing either removes this), I have a screeching sound whenever Gerald rests (medidates). Occasionally its rather faint, just enough to annoy me, but other times it was so sudden, loud, and incredibly high-pitched, that i instinctively jumped on my sound remote to shut down everything, lest it damages my hardware.
please try with the onboard soundcard first ( if you have one ), either way please one of you guys with the meditation issue record some in-game footage when this happens ( video + audio )you can use www.wegame.com
zodden said:
I get a crash as soon as I start the game. Worked fine before applying 1.4 patch. I've tried updating all drivers and have applied fix in first post and still nothing. Any ideas?
try some ideas from the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0and do read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report, when you post, as instructed

Valamyr said:
However I still have a small problem. Whenever my hardware acceleration is maxed AND I turn on EAX (undoing either removes this), I have a screeching sound whenever Gerald rests (medidates). I have an Audigy2 sound card from creative with the latest drivers. This pretty much forces me to play without EAX, so if anyone has a fix, it would be appreciated. Thank you!
Not only do you need to make sure your drivers are up to date, but the Creative Applications also must be. Part of the release notes for the Alchemy software states: "It restores 3D audio and EAX® effects for certain DirectSound®3D games". Further down it specifically names 'The Witcher' as one of the titles fixed.If anyone is having this problem or one similar you need to GO HERE & select your sound card. On the page that displays, you'll see "Latest Downloads". Under that are two sections: 'Driver' & 'Applications'. Download the latest software from BOTH sections. X-Fi users will have more than one option under the Application section...'Creative ALchemy' & 'Creative Console Launcher'. You need the latest versions of BOTH applications.Once you've downloaded everything, install the updated drivers and then the application software. If your computer prompts you to reboot at anytime during the installation of these files, do so. Then, resume installing the next application. Once you're finished. Reboot the machine & test everything again.
Valamyr said:
Any ideas?
Yes, see Licaon's post & my recommendations to Valamyr above.
Valamyr said:
In the "new FAQ" it mentions that some people were getting dialogue cuttoffs with this fix. Although it hasn't happened to me I figured the less files I had to over-write the better. ;)
I understand. However, until I actually have the dialog cutoff problems myself, I'll be leaving them as-is on my system. :) I also think they are likely related to outdated drivers/apps as well, which the above steps would hopefully rememdy.

intheflow said:
intheflow said:
Although the subject is SOUND or EAX problems I see most posts are re EAX. My problem is different. I have an ASUS P5k-e MB with Soundmax from Analog onboard. Sound was fine till the EE upgade...I haven't heard of this problem anywhere on the forum but am hoping someone has a solution. Help! :-\
Yes, if you weren't having problems before the patch with sound issues and you are now, try the fix in the first post of this thread.
I have tried all the options in this whole thread and nothing works. In the end I went through every "ogg" sound file in the witcher directories and found that the sound file being played when I point the cursor to where Gerald should move is "gui_medit.ogg". From the text this would appear to be the "meditation" sound effect (which by the way I don't get) but it is in a strange directory data/music/menu. It is a SFX and so should not be under music and is not "menu" related. How it gets mapped to the movement of Gerald I don't know. I am now interested in understanding what "ogg" sound file SHOULD be associatied with Gerald moving. I also find the "filing" of the Ogg sound files in general very strange as some appear in primary directories and some in sub directories. Some sub directories named SFX and Sounds actually have no files in them. It seems very unorganized. However, having said that, I find that for the most part, with this one very annoying exception, that the SFX and ambient sounds (as well as music) seem to work fine. Very strange. Hopefully someone has a solution.

WangoTango: The link provided by Licaon actually has a fix for that specific problem. Additionally, it shows directories that may help answer your other questions. You've probably already downloaded/installed all the latest SoundMax drivers and related software so that would rule that out as part of the problem...let us know what happens if you try the fix in the FAQ. :)

Sorry for my english!I have a problem: ???"The witcher has aencountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."About error:"Error signature: AppName:witcher.exe; AppVer:1.4.5.1282; ModName: mss32.dll; Mod Ver:7.0.20.0; Offset:0001438f."I installed patch 1.4 whitout any problems. ;DI dont know what I do ? Help Me Please!!!!! :wave:

OK I have tried all suggested so far. After last night I decided to do a fresh install of Windows XP. Updated to SP2. Installed the latest drivers for all hardware (chipset, LAN, GFX and Sound). Installed .Net Frameworks 1.1, 2.0, 2.0sp1 and 3.0. I then installed "The Witcher", and re-downloaded the patches (1.4 update and English language), checked the checksums were OK and then patched. Everything went OK up to that point. Tried to run the game and it just crashes on start-up. So I tried knocking the hardware acceleration down a notch on the sound device (onboard Relatek Azalia) but still nothing. Tried the patch in the first post and still nothing. No DLL's are mentioned in the crash, it's just the standard "the Witcher has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. I'm now at a complete loss :( I've attached the PCWizard text file, I hope it helps.Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom