[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
it's kind of telling that the conversation always turns to that despite the 6 months fiasco. I'm just so tired of playing as someone who's terminally ill.

Now I feel a little like a party pooper and "hopekiller" but this here ... make of it what you will

German article:

One critical point in that:

"Cyberpunk-Spieler können also mit Bezahl-DLCs in ähnlichem Umfang rechnen. Die Entwickler betonen jedoch, dass die Geschichte des Hauptspiels abgeschlossen ist und man »keinen Content künstlich für DLCs zurückhalte«. Die Addons füllen also keine kritischen Cliffhanger-Lücken auf, sondern sind zusätzliche, optionale Geschichten - so Alvin Liu von CD Projekt RED. "

"Cyberpunk Players can expect DLC in comparible size (to Witcher3). The devs emphasize however that the story of the main game is complete, and they are not "artificially holding back content for DLC". The Addons therefore won't fill critical cliffhanger-gaps, but are additional optional stories - coming from Alvin Liu of CD PRoject Red."

So ... hmm...yeah ...

Yeah, TW 3 done this perfectly, people go all in for this "happy ending" where you could make it happy only for Geralt, Yen or Triss and Ciri.
The rest was at least bitter sweet, with many endings just a bad ones no matter what you chose (for ex. Dikstra / Radovid / Emphyr)

Here we even don't get this. Both world - Witcher and Cyberpunk are depressing af and people are well aware of this, yet some continuation would be nice, not to mention that the whole game with this endings story wise is a gargantuan failure.
I get that this story would fit with any indie game, but with triple A game - people expect to get something more that "2020 on screen".
Hell even this is a far more worse outcome, since at the end of 2020 we are getting vaccines that btw are also a major breakthrough in modern medicine, and truly a XXI century invention.

Agreed on the W3 endings. I liked that its conclusion was not reduced to 2 dialog choices you made near the end but rather played out as a direct consequence of your actions going further back.

And IIRC, it was pretty well executed, too, with relevant decisions throughout the game playing a part in what happens at the end. If you get the "bad" ending in which Ciri does not return, Geralt's reaction to it, as well as the way he gets sent off, is extremely appropriate. It feels like he turns to nihilism for a very good reason - he loses Ciri and likely blames himself for, since the way he treats her ultimately decides her fate. It's a sad ending, but it's not illogical. Then we get two more resolutions to Ciri's storyline, both of which make total sense, and neither of them is really preferable to the other. Both are perfectly fitting depending on how you played the game, and both have their pros and cons if you think about it. I got the Witcher ending, and I loved it. I made Geralt treat Ciri in a way that would logically lead to her choosing that path, I didn't take her to meet Emyhr (because screw Emyhr), so I'd have been pretty freaking shocked if she had chosen to become empress in the finale. And I think getting the Empress ending was more demanding in terms of how careful you had to be to get it, and it's still not the "best" ending, just one that fits that particular playstyle.

In CP2077, I feel like I was working for that Witcher ending, but I got the Empress one for no apparent reason. The way I RPed my V was that she starts as a shallow Corpo fuckup with a death wish. She's after money, power and fame, but then she loses everything she's worked so hard for (status, money, contacts, comfy life). She loses Jackie and TBug and blames herself for it. Finally, she takes a bullet to the head from Dex, and gone is the smug "Relax, I'll be fine" V. The biochip revives her, but that also turns out to be a ticking bomb. She literally gets smacked with death in the face time after time, and only then does she realise how much she really wants to live. Like a desperate wounded animal. This whole journey was her way of coming to terms with the fact that what she had pursued was a fat lie, a mirage. It was about her slowly finding meaning in things she had previously written off as boring or worthless. "Screw becoming a legend, screw fancy corporate lifestyle, just give me my life back." And so I set on the quest to save V. I don't hate Johnny, but when he asked whether or not V would sacrifice herself for him, it was a resounding no. It was always going to be that. Throughout this crazy ride, V meets new friends and maybe even starts a relationship that feels more authentic than what she's had before. She builds something that gives her a sense of meaning in a more mature, conscious way. She looks at how messed up the world is from this new perspective and wants out. The world is unsalvageable, but there are still small personal victories to be had in it.

... And then the ending takes place, and my V doesn't reflect on what just happened. She doesn't wonder about Soulkiller, what Alt was up to, how she feels after separating from Johnny (did he permanently change her?), she's not desperately looking for a solution to her brand new terminal condition. Just rides off with the Nomads without a single meaningful conversation with anybody, only a mention that Panam "knows a guy". I thought this story was literally about V's self-discovery, figuring out how she fits in the world and ultimately finding that everything she had believed in was a lie, then saving herself having realised how much she really wants to live. And I got some cliche "better late than never" ending suggesting that at least she gets a few months with a few people that care about her. I know it's impossible to cater to everyone, but the game had such a brilliant set up for the story I outlined above, and then it completely undid all of it by falling into a "you can't have it all" cliche. I've said before that I don't think the Nomad ending is that great, but it's the closest one to my character's arc, so clearly the writers got something right. But the V I've come to know through my playthrough would have said "I'm still dying? Pff, I've got the Relic's schematics here, let's go put me in another body. I've come so far, and people died for me to be here. I'll finish what I've started". Even if I don't get to see whether or not she succeeds at that, I know for a fact she's still got the attitude. If her best chance was to stay in NC, she would do just that (with Alt frying Arasaka's security, they might not even know what hit them anyway). It just felt out of character to see V depart like that with little reflection.

Anyways, I know it's easier said than done, but I hope everyone can move on from this at least for a couple of days. Enjoy your holidays. :)

Could have been good endings where people could question "what makes you, you" but then they kinda shit on it with 6 months to live.

It is pure speculation at this point of course but V with Panam may actually find a treatment, Arasaka isn't the only game in town. Somewhere I read on this forum something about Biotechnica treating MS patients with something that restores their nervous systems or some such? Quotes from Misty and the books on the shards near the end give hope.

It may all be bullshit but there is hope in the Nomad ending if you choose to see it unless otherwise disproven by DLC. Or if we're lucky proven!

edit: was replying to jakhin

this was brought up before and someone refuted it to a degree but I don't recall how.
But if this is the case then I'm out, if it's not post relic V then i've got no interest in the game anymore.
I had a wonderful time but the resolution just left a bad taste in my mouth and i've no desire for more of the same.

Now I feel a little like a party pooper and "hopekiller" but this here ... make of it what you will

German article:

"Cyberpunk-Spieler können also mit Bezahl-DLCs in ähnlichem Umfang rechnen. Die Entwickler betonen jedoch, dass die Geschichte des Hauptspiels abgeschlossen ist und man »keinen Content künstlich für DLCs zurückhalte«. Die Addons füllen also keine kritischen Cliffhanger-Lücken auf, sondern sind zusätzliche, optionale Geschichten - so Alvin Liu von CD Projekt RED. "

"Cyberpunk Players can expect DLC in comparible size (to Witcher3). The devs emphasize however that the story of the main game is complete, and they are not "artificially holding back content for DLC". The Addons therefore won't fill critical cliffhanger-gaps, but are additional optional stories - coming from Alvin Liu of CD PRoject Red."

So ... hmm...yeah ...

Then from that, we are left to our own devices in regards to the future of V. If they will not write canon our head-canon must replace it. I am NOT a fan of this type of writing. It is garbage.

It is pure speculation at this point of course but V with Panam may actually find a treatment, Arasaka isn't the only game in town. Somewhere I read on this forum something about Biotechnica treating MS patients with something that restores their nervous systems or some such? Quotes from Misty and the books on the shards near the end give hope.

It may all be bullshit but there is hope in the Nomad ending if you choose to see it unless otherwise disproven by DLC. Or if we're lucky proven!
That is kind of an issue, we got no endings, its just bunch of " maybe, maybe".

it's kind of telling that the conversation always turns to that despite the 6 months fiasco. I'm just so tired of playing as someone who's terminally ill.
To be fair, it's mostly a few cursed souls like myself that keep bringing up Soulkiller again, and it's always against a tide of disagreement. I don't think most people care. Seems like whenever I check on this thread after leaving the forum for a while it's back to talking about "6 months this" and "Panam ending is good" that.

Mmm, people, I am just trying to figure out, how in several of the endings (when V stays in its body), V can potentially escape literal death after 6 months.
Due to V's body is DNA reconfigurated to fit for the Johnny's construct and will be rejecting V's consciousness through time.

What if.. it will be possible to find the second biochip (yeah, I know that chip was unique, but if that assumption will be revealed wrong, then it sounds legitimate, does it? please correct me=) ), similar to one with Johnny's construct, copy V's engram there, and insert it into the dying V.
And so, here goes the "magic" part, where the body again will be reconstructed into its primary state (well, kinda), thus the body and the mind will be fully compatible in the end.

In that case there will be two Vs in one head. Probably there could be some moral questions with original\copy problem. Like original V should die to let copy V live (and again something dark, lmao)

German article:

So ... hmm...yeah ...
have said it a hundred times, but everyone here seems to think this magical dlc will fix everything

That is kind of an issue, we got no endings, its just bunch of " maybe, maybe".

Yeah if the DLC doesn't either let us affect the current endings or let us find a cure post main story with the Nomad ending I'm super not interested.

I care about V above all else, Night City and the CP universe can burn to the ground for all I care otherwise.

To be fair, it's mostly a few cursed souls like myself that keep bringing up Soulkiller again, and it's always against a tide of disagreement. I don't think most people care. Seems like whenever I check on this thread after leaving the forum for a while it's back to talking about "6 months this" and "Panam ending is good" that.
It's where I draw the line between bad(sad) ending/bad(ly executed) ending. If that was the price paid I'd just chalk it up to best i'm gonna get given the narrative.
it's the toddlers first plot twist that really grinds my gears.
It seems like there was no room in the narrative for both the player and the story they wanted to tell, and one of them had to go.
But i'm getting off point here, if it's any consolation i'd rather you had an ending that was acceptable to you.

So personally I find that the endings are very good, there is everything even if (beware of the spoil) V's fight against the clock is still there, we must keep in mind that there will be at least two dlc of planned and that logically the current ends are not the real ends, these will be present I think with the dlc. (a bit like the witcher). On the other hand I find it a pity that once we have finished this first chapter we return each time to the initial backup, those where we have the warning that tells us that we are in the last straight line of the game. In a sense it allows us to start over here without redoing everything and to be able to change our choices, to have the different ends. But I think it's a shame, once done, the game should go into continuity, and not revert to a key save point.

The most fun part about this is "additional optional stories" are FUNDAMENTALLY incompatible with the nature of the plot. Really every sidequest is fundamentally incompatible with the plot. Why am I taking random jobs when my life span can be measured in days?

And then the ending takes place, and my V doesn't reflect on what just happened. She doesn't wonder about Soulkiller, what Alt was up to, how she feels after separating from Johnny (did he permanently change her?), she's not desperately looking for a solution to her brand new terminal condition.
This is exactly why every ending feels sudden and unfulfilling.

I do not think that Judy being a lesbian is a factor in this.
Let alone that sentence about the suicide ending...jesus.
I couldn't take anything afterwards seriously, sorry.
If you want to share your sadistic fantasies this is not the place.
Just makes you look like a jerk.
I won't even bother giving him a response. What he said is sick, and I have been warned enough times in engaging in arguments lol

Top Bottom