[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Yeah and I actually agree with that. In the original PnP lore it's called the soulkiller because inside the net, the soul slowly dies because of lack of stimulation. And I would be perfectly fine if that is what she is refering to. And tbh seeing the engram endings, it porbably is the case.
But up to that point, and even after, this is never explored. V never asks, "What did you mean by everything changes?". V never goes to consult Misty to sooth his/her concerns. It's just bad narrative imho.

Lack of fulfilling writing is the real culprit here lol

Well as the Dalemain questline shows us, AIs are pretty fucking powerful and can easily take place among humans. Isn't there like an active "war" going on behind the scenes to keep the AIs at bay? And once Delamain reached a higher consciousness, he simply lost interest in the primitive state of human experience.
Also Alt was a human, and as some said she still has some of her humanity retained. If anything I trust that she still remembers the change that happened when she was ripped out of her body.
Alt should be incomprehensibly more powerful than a human mind. Johnny is the only reason we can even meet her. Alt has no reason to lie to V and Johnny, barely has a reason to even considering making a deal with us.
I also thought merging Delamain meant he became more like a true AI and lost interest in the primitive human world. It is mentioned on radio that AIs control all major stock market deals and financial decisions of almost every corporation on Earth but humans don't care because profits keep rising.

I'd be fine with this if there was a single voice in the game that ever suggested that going back immediately was somehow something special in regards to Soulkiller. Transhumanism themes about "turning body metal bad" just aren't enough for that leap.

there isn’t any information about it because nobody knows, nobody ever returned to their body.

Alt warns you about being digitized but she doesn’t know what changes when you are “undigitized”, So sure it changes you but how? We don’t know.

Exactly, there's an active war happening right now between AI and humanity. It's behind the scenes but it's there. Alt isn't the most powerful AI - there's plenty more beyond the Blackwall.

Alt is 'retaining her humanity' but let's face it, she isn't. She's an imitation, someone and something that has evolved beyond primitive human notions. All she cares about is one thing, the only thing that any AI cares about - knowledge. Knowledge is power.

Netwatch and the Voodoo boys wanted that chip - the chip is a bargaining piece for Alt. They either wish to use Alt or appease her. She can give and she can take. Her one link to humanity is Johnny Silverhand. She wants Johnny. Johnny is still the narc who killed her, he's still the guy who went off bonking Rogue and is still trying to - all the while saying how they need 'Alt's help'.

Alt wants revenge. She was caught up in some sort of stupid Corpo war as usual. She hates Arasaka, she probably despises Militech. Right now she wants to absorb all Engrams into herself because in her mind that's freeing them. But is it? She's just absorbing people and taking everything that they once were and turning it into data.

The idea that an AI will continue to be passive, kind, motherly after that is strange. If you were an AI looking at Netwatch you're not just going to coo at them. You're going to destroy them and those who they work for. AIs will likely try to nuke Netwatch and then the NUSA.

And this isn't if to say that NUSA isn't already being controlled by an AI behind the scenes.
Sounds feasable. Very little of this was explored ingame in a meaningful way.

And yeah, as you pointed out Jhonny is just a piece of shit through and through. Wanting to bang rogue while also trying to redeem himself for killing Alt... god I hate that character lol
Post automatically merged:

there isn’t any information about it because nobody knows, nobody ever returned to their body.

Alt warns you about being digitized but she doesn’t know what changes when you are “undigitized”, So sure it changes you but how? We don’t know.
We don't know because noone bothers to ask in the game! The most obvious question and noone brings it up. Like seriously, what gives?

The problem is the main plot quickly writes itself into a very dark corner, with no realistic option possible that undoes the damage V sustains.

The player's situation is written as unsalvageable. Their brain has been half-destroyed by nanites, can no longer survive without the chip connected and any 'escape route' (e.g. creating an engram of V and copying that to the chip, another brain, or the internet, etc) will only rescue a new COPY of V, with tthe original oragnic-brained version still dying.

All roads lead to the destruction of V's 'soul'. The only way around this would be to have a miracle doctor appear who can somehow repair V's brain, reversing the 'artificial dementia' V is suffering from and allowing the chip to be removed plus Johnny's engram deleted.

There's just no way to introduce a happy resolution like that without it feeling like a 'magical' plot twist that breaks the rules of how V's predicament is set up.

In short, the dark endings are just symptoms of a very dark premise. If V's situation had been explained differently - i.e. their organic brain is still physically fine but its autonomy is just being usurped by the chip's connection, then the writers would have had a lot more wiggle room to include happier endings.

In the end, the plot is very similar to The Fly. There's no winning path for Dr. Brundle's original self, only for a viable copy or hybrid that leaves the doomed original behind.

Deus ex machina... XD

I'd be fine with this if there was a single voice in the game that ever suggested that going back immediately was somehow something special in regards to Soulkiller. Transhumanism themes about "turning body metal bad" just aren't enough for that leap.

Firstly, V is one of a kind, the first to go through what they went through. As for your commentary on themes and leaps, that's on you. You're entitled to your views but you're not an authority.

Also, for your consumption of fiction is there really no room for your to think about the implications of what goes on in the narrative, does it always have to be super black and white and obvious for you to enjoy?

Alt should be incomprehensibly more powerful than a human mind. Johnny is the only reason we can even meet her. Alt has no reason to lie to V and Johnny, barely has a reason to even considering making a deal with us.
I also thought merging Delamain meant he became more like a true AI and lost interest in the primitive human world. It is mentioned on radio that AIs control all major stock market deals and financial decisions of almost every corporation on Earth but humans don't care because profits keep rising.
Exactly - AI is entwined heavily with corporations. It's pretty weird how every AI is buying up stock shares in space travel right now. Human's can't escape to space stations. Just like how in a certain ending we're getting the guestlist for every single person in the crystal palace. Who would want that information and why?

Firstly, V is one of a kind, the first to go through what they went through. As for your commentary on themes and leaps, that's on you. You're entitled to your views but you're not an authority.
There's nobody who brings up that being moved back to your body immediately is somehow special. It doesn't matter that Alt hasn't experienced that exactly. Any supposition that V's situation is somehow relevantly unique is just that.

Lack of fulfilling writing is the real culprit here lol
I'll temporarily come down from the hill I've chosen to die on to drink to that.

Sounds feasable. Very little of this was explored ingame in a meaningful way.

And yeah, as you pointed out Jhonny is just a piece of shit through and through. Wanting to bang rogue while also trying to redeem himself for killing Alt... god I hate that character lol

We don't know because noone bothers to ask in the game! The most obvious question and noone brings it up. Like seriously, what gives?
Maybe being undigitized isn’t a big deal? Like how teleportation isn’t a big deal in star trek?

V seems fine afterward, except for the 6 months to live part so...
Yeah which you only find out after risking it. Which is fine I suppose. But I personally would have prefered if the game wouldn't treat the Arasaka ending as the obviously bad one.
Soulkiller was literally just as risky of a gamble as siding with the corpo.

I mean..impying that the changes (who will be copied as well) you suffered are not enough punishment and therefor not dark enough is a bit harsh.

Cyberpunk is a dark theme but I have more examples of protagonists being able to at least retire from their adventures although in a pretty broken state, than ones who simply die (especially in a stupid way).

Case from neuromancer retires, because he is fed up with it.
Turner from count zero retires to take care of his dead brothers family.
Molly finally manages to become free from extortion.
Mona from Mona Lisa overdrive becomes the new entertainment star.
Count zero and Angela have a pretty happy ending in count zero and only get digitilides in Mona Lisa overdrive.

Side characters die.

There's nobody who brings up that being moved back to your body immediately is somehow special. It doesn't matter that Alt hasn't experienced that exactly. Any supposition that V's situation is somehow relevantly unique is just that.

I don't know, maybe the writers are asking the player to think for themselves, at least for a little bit.. or at least until any DLC states otherwise? Or maybe this is it and we're being asked to just think for ourselves and reflect on the game and discuss it like we're doing now?

I get that isn't satisfactory for a lot of us but just because someone in the game's narrative isn't spoonfeeding you details and other contrary views to your own are unsupported is extremely narrow-minded.

Yea im just making up my own end. Wont even play past the PONR. Did the same so i could play ME3 without beeing pissed everytime i saw the ending.

I don't know, maybe the writers are asking the player to think for themselves, at least for a little bit.. or at least until any DLC states otherwise? Or maybe this is it and we're being asked to just think for ourselves and reflect on the game and discuss it like we're doing now?

I get that isn't satisfactory for a lot of us but just because someone in the game's narrative isn't spoonfeeding you details and other contrary views to your own are unsupported is extremely narrow-minded.
I disagree. What is there to discuss if there is no answer?
Now that would be perfectly fine if we had 2 satsifying conclusions and people could settle for one they like. But one of the conclusions are clearly upsetting for many while the other side is happy with it. This doesn't promote a friendly intellectual discussion. This promotes a war of opinions and personal preferences.

Now that would be perfectly fine if we had 2 satsifying conclusions and people could settle for one they like. But one of the conclusions are clearly upsetting for many while the other side is happy with it. This doesn't promote a friendly intellectual discussion. This promotes a war of opinions and personal preferences.

Ok, that's an opinion and one CDPR might not share. If so, vote with your wallet, don't buy DLC. I will not buy anything unless it deals with saving Vs life.. whatever version of that life it is.

Also there is no war here, I liked some of the rebukes to my own view, I've even stated as much and I am one to change opinions when I feel that my mind has been changed, but it has not.. yet. If anyone is getting upset over me not agreeing with them, too bad.

Ok, that's an opinion and one CDPR might not share. If so, vote with your wallet, don't buy DLC. I will not buy anything unless it deals with saving Vs life.. whatever version of that life it is.
I'm just saying that if that would be their intention, they could have done a lot better job at it. Thing is, they didn't need to spoonfeed anything. A simply dialogue with misty questioning Alt's stance could have already give a platform for a discussion.
But there are no real ingame reason to question what Alt says.
And trust me, i definitely won't be buying any DLC until I know what I'm spending it on.

Exactly, there's an active war happening right now between AI and humanity. It's behind the scenes but it's there. Alt isn't the most powerful AI - there's plenty more beyond the Blackwall.

Well, we don(t know much about that. That may also be some propaganda to keep people not looking.

Alt is 'retaining her humanity' but let's face it, she isn't. She's an imitation, someone and something that has evolved beyond primitive human notions. All she cares about is one thing, the only thing that any AI cares about - knowledge. Knowledge is power.
The AI as made of lines of code. These lines are stored somewhere and they need computing power to operate. AIs use distributed resources to run. The need processing power and electrical power and bandwith. Nothing else. The information constituting them are stored somewhere and they can be accessed anytime. What is more relevant is that Alt is in the net for more than 50 years, and that is a very long time. This very long time is the cause of the changes of her mindset.

Netwatch and the Voodoo boys wanted that chip - the chip is a bargaining piece for Alt. They either wish to use Alt or appease her. She can give and she can take. Her one link to humanity is Johnny Silverhand. She wants Johnny. Johnny is still the narc who killed her, he's still the guy who went off bonking Rogue and is still trying to - all the while saying how they need 'Alt's help'.
Sorry, I disagree.
Johnny is her last lover. Johnny is the guy who stormed Arasaka tower for her. Rogue was Johnny's input before Alt, and she came to rescue her. Alt is not jealous, I believe she's beyond such pettiness. But Johnny indeed needs Alt's help. Netwatch too because they want to broker some agreement with the AIs to rebuild the net, and the voodoo boys want an agreement for their own goals (ie : gather enough power to be independant and safe)

Alt wants revenge. She was caught up in some sort of stupid Corpo war as usual. She hates Arasaka, she probably despises Militech. Right now she wants to absorb all Engrams into herself because in her mind that's freeing them. But is it? She's just absorbing people and taking everything that they once were and turning it into data.
No she does not.
She had revenge 60 years ago when Johnny tried to rescue her, or when the Arasaka Tower was bombed. She a god in the machine. Do you really think she cares for the mere mortals ?
Alt has absolutely nothing to gain in absorbing the engrams. It is somewhat costly to her because she has to find more storage space and more processing power. I believe this is some plot-hole in order to forbid the "immortality in the machine" ending.

The idea that an AI will continue to be passive, kind, motherly after that is strange. If you were an AI looking at Netwatch you're not just going to coo at them. You're going to destroy them and those who they work for. AIs will likely try to nuke Netwatch and then the NUSA.
And this isn't if to say that NUSA isn't already being controlled by an AI behind the scenes.
Nope. Neither Netwatch or the NUSA are in position to destroy the AIs. Netwatch and the NUSA are a small part of the Cyberpunk world.
Agreed, there are some murderous rampaging AIs, but they are not organized to end humanity. This is not a prelude to The Matrix.

Top Bottom