[Spoiler Alert] About the endings

+

Do you want more RPGs with happy endings?

• Total voters
Its storytelling. When the children Mad Max rescued go off and discover Sydney Australia in Thunderdome. The implication is they will settle there.

You don't need to speculate, "Oh and they all died of dysentery because they don't know how to make clean water."
Hmm... For my taste, the entire adventure of finding a cure and succeeding, to pass that off as "thats for the player to fill in" is a bit much. Even if it was just a movie I'd think its a bit of a stretch.
But alright, I guess we'll see what we will get as actual game content just yet and where the player must take over.

Alt says she's not the original Alt but Alt also comes back for her love of Johnny. I think she's kidding herself.

So you think it's a delusional Alt? Possibly.
But i think it's a lot more likely that Alt became aware of Johnny once having been in Mikoshi, so she might have become interested in how he came out of there and how she could connect there.

Hmm... For my taste, the entire adventure of finding a cure and succeeding, to pass that off as "thats for the player to fill in" is a bit much. Even if it was just a movie I'd think its a bit of a stretch.
But alright, I guess we'll see what we will get as actual game content just yet and where the player must take over.

Nah i think the bad writting here would be rather that you could make the cure a vague idea the whole game.
Like alt saying: "If you dance the Chacha on a thunderous night on the Arasaka tower top, you'll get cured of your case of nano-magic dna rewriting" - and the game simply ends with V dancing there. -> It completly leaves the player of to decide if this helped or not.
But going "Oh yeah you danced there - but it only gave you 6 more months - oh look maybe if you sleep in the basement of Miltech in a purple sweater you can survive"....
Yeah not great imo.

-edit fixed at least some of the biggest mistypes-

I like it not having a happy ending. This is a dark story, there is nothing happy about the future presented here. If you can't get joy out of a story unless there is some cream-dream-happy scene at the end, you probably shouldn't look to dystopian fiction.

Of all the things they lied about when selling this game, a happy ending was never promised that I saw. Though I would love to see it if I missed that interview or twitter post. I understand your expectations and feelings on this, but I think you are missing the point of the story because you want it to be the "standard" story you are probably used to. Did you like Blade Runner or consider that a happy ending? Perhaps Terry Gilliam's Brazil? How about 12 Monkeys (I will stop mentioning Terry Gilliam movies, though he had clear influence on many of the writers and artists at CDPR). Johnny Mnemonic had a semi-happy ending if I remember properly, but I also read that the studio did a lot of work to make it more mainstream.

You should check out Disney for happy endings. I guarantee you that the "good guy" wins in all of those stories, and the dirtiness, sadness, pain, and suffering expressed in the story will only be short lived, and enough to boost the payoff that you can comfortably rely on.

I like it not having a happy ending. This is a dark story, there is nothing happy about the future presented here. If you can't get joy out of a story unless there is some cream-dream-happy scene at the end, you probably shouldn't look to dystopian fiction.

Of all the things they lied about when selling this game, a happy ending was never promised that I saw. Though I would love to see it if I missed that interview or twitter post. I understand your expectations and feelings on this, but I think you are missing the point of the story because you want it to be the "standard" story you are probably used to. Did you like Blade Runner or consider that a happy ending? Perhaps Terry Gilliam's Brazil? How about 12 Monkeys (I will stop mentioning Terry Gilliam movies, though he had clear influence on many of the writers and artists at CDPR). Johnny Mnemonic had a semi-happy ending if I remember properly, but I also read that the studio did a lot of work to make it more mainstream.

You should check out Disney for happy endings. I guarantee you that the "good guy" wins in all of those stories, and the dirtiness, sadness, pain, and suffering expressed in the story will only be short lived, and enough to boost the payoff that you can comfortably rely on.
read the fucking thread

I don't disagree. I think the open ended nature of them is problematic. I'm just arguing that the authorial intent doesn't seem to be, "And V will die no matter what you do!"

By the way, maybe to spare myself 20 minutes or so, does V always sing Never Fade away in the Arasaka ending when she leaves for Earth?

Top Bottom