[SPOILER] The "bittersweet" ending might be totally misunderstood! (Witcher 4 speculation)

+
People seem to think CDPR will never return to Witcher, which strikes me as curious. Both Bioware and Bethesda rotate games in their respective fantasy and sci-fi franchises. Why not CDPR? Why not Cyberpunk AND Witcher? Keeps them from burning out on one franchise like they were in danger of doing making only Witcher games.

I think they might. But I get why people think that it won´t.

There are currently 8 books and 3 video games from Witcher world. In each and every single one of them, main protagonist is Geralt. Its difficult to imagine placing a different protagonist within the world. Though, why not? Eskel and Lambert can be doable, there is very little revealed about their past in both books and games. Vesemir was centuries old - he must have had a lot of experiences and stories, given that he was swordmaster of Kaer Morhen before the massacre.

I would like to see Witcher saga, but that would be linear experience. Not sure if CDPR would go for something like that, the lore of it has been already established. Although it would bring back my personal favorite character - Cahir. And, of course, Regis - intellectual vampire.

There are currently 8 books and 3 video games from Witcher world. In each and every single one of them, main protagonist is Geralt. Its difficult to imagine placing a different protagonist within the world. Though, why not? Eskel and Lambert can be doable, there is very little revealed about their past in both books and games. Vesemir was centuries old - he must have had a lot of experiences and stories, given that he was swordmaster of Kaer Morhen before the massacre.

I would like to see Witcher saga, but that would be linear experience. Not sure if CDPR would go for something like that, the lore of it has been already established. Although it would bring back my personal favorite character - Cahir. And, of course, Regis - intellectual vampire.
To clarify: Geralt is done, I know and accept that. When I say that I speak of Witcher 4, I mean it in the same way that ME:A is ME4. Yes it's the fourth game in the series, but it takes place in a whole new location, and it's doing it's own thing completely separate from the Shepard trilogy. That's what I envision for any future "Witcher" games. Set in the same setting, but with different characters, gameplay mechanics, main protagonist, even a new location. There are places outside the Northern Realms that haven't been explored. We haven't seen Zerrikania, Ofir, Nilfgaard, hell we haven't even been to Kovir and Poviss. We needn't even play as a Witcher, we could play as a sorcerer/sorceress (which would be leagues preferable to female Witchers appearing out of nowhere).

Ciri is an option, but as others have pointed out, she carries a lot of baggage of her own. So if CDPR wants a fresh break, a mage main character in a spin-off series would be ideal in my opinion.

There is no way Ciri can be the main protagonist in a W4 game, her story arc and past was all covered in W3 as a start, yes she undoubtedly has a lot to contend with emotionally etc after the end of W3 regardless of your ending but her lifetime of running from the Wild Hunt and dealing with the White Frost is her story, what is left after that? Daddy issues the game? Then you would have to have a plot device that somehow explains why she can no longer teleport and use ridiculous over powered magic anymore, because a) that won't work in a game unless you have dragon ball Z level of villain upgrades (CIRI IN SPACE) and b) there is no reason for her not to use her abilities now Eredin isn't dogging her every move. Yes I concede there are lots of others who want Ciri for her powers and to sire her heir that will rule the world etc but not many of them will have giant world crossing ships at their disposal and the ability to sense her.

Far better surely for a sequel to be about Ciri's child/children? Their struggles as the whole world expects great things from them and fears them for it. Would be cool if the main antagonist was just another sibling of yours and decides THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE.

I think there are a lot of things that could be done. I believe it's been stated that Eskel has a higher magic potential than Geralt, so I imagine that could be used to give the player more alternate signs.
If a Witcher 4 did go with Ciri as Empress, they could make the story about her integrity as a ruler, whether or not she'll follow in Emhyr's footsteps and become as ruthless as him. The nobles being more experienced rulers could use that against her and the lower-class Nilfgaardians, regardless of her power she can't be everywhere at once. At least not while she doesn't maintain a full control over them and their potential. Could even use that as a scare tactic against the commoners in order to seize power for themselves.

Personally I wouldn't mind, playing as Iorveth or a higher vampire since I do find the racial tension to be an interesting aspect of the Witcher world.

There is no way Ciri can be the main protagonist in a W4 game, her story arc and past was all covered in W3 as a start, yes she undoubtedly has a lot to contend with emotionally etc after the end of W3 regardless of your ending but her lifetime of running from the Wild Hunt and dealing with the White Frost is her story, what is left after that? Daddy issues the game? Then you would have to have a plot device that somehow explains why she can no longer teleport and use ridiculous over powered magic anymore, because a) that won't work in a game unless you have dragon ball Z level of villain upgrades (CIRI IN SPACE) and b) there is no reason for her not to use her abilities now Eredin isn't dogging her every move. Yes I concede there are lots of others who want Ciri for her powers and to sire her heir that will rule the world etc but not many of them will have giant world crossing ships at their disposal and the ability to sense her.

Far better surely for a sequel to be about Ciri's child/children? Their struggles as the whole world expects great things from them and fears them for it. Would be cool if the main antagonist was just another sibling of yours and decides THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE.
Her powers aren't really a problem. Geralt gets reset back to 0 every game, even though he's practically invincible by the end of each one. There's no story reason Geralt lost all the cool armor and weapons I got him in W2 by the start of W3. Nor is there a story reason in W3 for him to be so weak. The nature of RPGs resets the protagonist, and Gameplay and Story Segregation is something you just learn to accept. If there's a story that CDPR wanted to tell with her, I'm sure they could do it.

That said a whole new protagonist is fine too. If we really are saying goodbye permanently to Geralt, better to do it with a clean slate. A mage or higher vampire could also allow Character customization, or at least a greater degree of control than we were allowed over Geralt. If we get a set character, I'd want to play Letho's Zerrikania Adventures.

Last edited:
Her powers aren't really a problem. Geralt gets reset back to 0 every game, even though he's practically invincible by the end of each one. There's no story reason Geralt lost all the cool armor and weapons I got him in W2 by the start of W3. Nor is there a story reason in W3 for him to be so weak. The nature of RPGs resets the protagonist, and Gameplay and Story Segregation is something you just learn to accept. If there's a story that CDPR wanted to tell with her, I'm sure they could do it.

That said a whole new protagonist is fine too. If we really are saying goodbye permanently to Geralt, better to do it with a clean slate. A mage or higher vampire could also allow Character customization, or at least a greater degree of control than we were allowed over Geralt. If we get a set character, I'd want to play Letho's Zerrikania Adventures.

Where what you say is true, with regards to Geralt at least he has always been a Witcher and all his strength is in his mutations and experience so it makes sense (logic wise) that he would still struggle to kill Drowners say, as much now as ever. Okay yes that makes less sense when you are a super high level and cut them down like grass but you can still play that off to months between Geralt having to kill them to having to kill lots of monsters in droves. From w1 to w2 you can accept he probably has been sitting on his backside with Foltest and so is out of shape, from w3 there is clearly a gap after Nilfgaard invade and he must of gone to Kaer Morhen to find Vesemir so maybe again he rested for several months waiting for the snow to melt. Regardless of all that he still knows his signs, how to use his weapons effectively, how to track, his monster knowledge is still great (even if the bestiary isn't filled in for some reason).

With Ciri I think it would be an awful lot harder to accept she just is level 1 now and that is why she cannot teleport out of danger or blow away enemies about to run her through. Especially as so much of w3 and the books were dedicated to OH WOW CIRI IS THE SECOND COMING ISN'T SHE AMAZING AND POWERFUL AND SCARY WITH HOW MUCH POWER SHE HAS.

Ciri in Witcher 3 is a little bit boring and casual and has nothing special and really interesting about her (except some magic abilitys).
The best charakters are still Geralt or Lambert, especially Lambert was awesome because he could be even more ironic and sarcastic than Geralt! :)
love sarcasm and black humour.
A female who would have the same character traits as Lambert is cold and highly unsympathic and repulsive and matron-like and not "funny" and "cool" at all.
That`s the problem about female characters.
If anyone has played the Game "The last of us" well the Ellie character concept is perfect, she`s nice and funny, talking the whole time, reading joke books exploring on her own and being helpful and nice but funny - but hard and ruthless in combat situations. Ciri could become such a character similiar to Elli in "The last of Us" in the next Witcher. :)

Revamping the fist to fist combat system.

In TW3 it was Strong Attack, Fast Attack, Dodge and Block. But this could be further expanded by creating a combo system where you can chain together moves and do finishers, as well as adding counters and kicks.
Another thing that could be added is ligament targeting and combat types/styles:

• Tall and Fat - E.g. Dijikstra - Bruiser/Brawler - Slow movement but ability to land devastating punches and charge at you using his weight as an advantage.
  • Balanced - E.g. Geralt, Eskel - Balanced - Basically TW3 fighting style with maybe a new animation such as uppercuts and knees, kicks.
  • Small and Slim - E.g. Ciri - Striker - Fast movement and ability to land multiple strikes continuously but attack power is the weakest of the three types and so is defense.

Revamping/Adding Stealth

In previous games there is no such thing as stealth, it's literally Geralt charging in and fighting.
But it could be expanded/implemented with things such as crouch, line of sight, noise awareness and silent attacks(example snapping the enemy's neck, choking them out or just simply impaling them in the back with your sword)

Those ideas sound good, but for me they should have been implemented into The Witcher 3, as i personally rather not see a sequel, specially one involving Ciri as protagonist.....

Last edited:
Empress ending vs witcher ending

Hi!

I'm thinking about the two different ending in TW3. I read a lot of threads about this, with people who claim that the empress ending is the best ending, with a bit of hypocrisy: for example "Hey guys! I've finished TW3 and I took the best ending, the empress ending" when one day before he died of sadness.

It is clear that the witcher ending is the happiest ending, but I do not want to talk about this.

I want to discuss with you if the witcher ending is truly the best ending for Ciri and for the races in the continent. She has a great power and she is a good (more or less!) person: Calanthe's blood flowing through his veins, and she could became a great empress.

On the other hand, she is the "lady of time and space", and she can't stay forever in the same world: with her power, she could save other worlds from white frost.

Sorry, sorry and sorry for my English: I hope that you will understand what I wrote.

Last edited:
The most persuasive argument I've heard for the empress ending. (There were already many threads on this BTW) was this:

As long as all options are open to ciri herself and she is aware of them SHE will always choose to try to be the empress. Whether it is a good idea or not is open to interpretation as there are no concrete facts as the game ends right there and is irrelevant ultimately because individual freedom of choice matters most of all and I think Geralt if he truly respects Ciri as an individual has to honor that choice.

As for avoiding Emhyr / concealing something from Ciri "for her own good" so to speak is again saying she cannot take care of herself basically.

Of course the writers were a bit clever as they left a loop hole there in that when you first mention to Ciri that emhyr wants to see her she is not enthused to go to visima (understandable given their history) so you can say well "she does not want to have anything to do with emhyr really” but that is a bit disingenuous I would say because she does not know all the facts yet to make a weighted decision for herself.

the Citi becoming witcher is the best ending, for the wild hunt is defeated, and we do know it is, Ciri survives, sees Geralt again, and everyone is happy

Top Bottom