[SPOILERS] Cats, Pyramids and Egyptian symbolism ?

+
OP, it's neither. The engram isn't 'a copy' as it has all the continuity in the world - but neither is it the original V. It's V ripped from her biological and chemical contexts - as we can see with Alt and Johnny they are by far not their previous selves but something else, their living motivations and existential feelings blunted down and subdued, analytical thought and general understanding of things more intricate and complex than before.
All in all it is neatly summed up in the meaning of Temperance as explained by Misty - of crossing over to the beyond and transcendence.

First say that you leave me hallucinating with your ability to analyze the narrative (I am better at predicting it) said this, I will provide my vision (much more generalist) of things.

Let's talk about Night city, the monster that we oppose and that wants to devour us. The entire narrative of the game exposes us how irrelevant we are to this monster, nothing we do will have a real impact because we do not matter and everything we try against this monster is ultimately useless.
Everything we try, everything we achieve at the end of the day will be forgotten and our only option is to flee before this monster devours us completely.

All the characters that we know aspire to one of two things to die fighting this monster and be remembered as legends (although in reality they will be forgotten anyway) or flee from the monster.
The only exception is Dex managed to run away from the monster but he came back and the only thing he managed to do was get eaten.
We also have characters who have survived the monster by working for the monster, feed the monster and therefore can postpone being eaten by the monster.

But let's stop talking about Night City and its monstrous, living presence.

Let's talk about the endings and how they expose this reality each end represents a different thing to be eaten, fight or run away. They are all bittersweet endings, you don't die but you don't survive either, Night city has stuck its fangs into your existence and like the poison of a Komodo dragon bite it will kill you slowly even if you flee, fight or surrender.

Thanks everyone for your participation, i didn't plan to organise another post yet but there are some interesting questions raised and i think i can provide some answers

This forced me to realize that everything was preordained when I found the cards in my second playthrough and had "lightbulb" moments as to why those cards were in those locations. First off, they matched specific people/events, but second and more important, they were there BEFORE the events happened.

While i don't agree Johnny and the Sphynx are manifestations of the same entity for reasons i'm going to elaborate, i agree the narrative hints strongly at fate
First off, that's why i'm pointing at both Judy and Misty as Oracles (one's a Cassandre, the other a Meta Oracle), you can go through the previous posts to see what's supporting the theory

Second, let's talk more in depths about Psychopomps and the spirits in general
godspirits.png

This is a scene you can find during Play It Safe, quite literally telling you the spirits are watching, during an accordingly spiritual parade

Lots of you will remember the bird, since it's your first encounter at the start of the Star ending
robin.jpg

It's a Robin, to keep it short they usually represent rebirth, regrowth, and leaving your bagages behind you for the purpose of self-realisation. This is first and foremost an heritage of the Christian culture (also cf the Holy Spirit) when it comes to symbolic, whether you're a religious person or not (disclaimer, i'm not taking sides, i just love mythology).
Remember birds are supposed to have been exterminated around Night City too
I'm not going to go on a tangent here, but let me just say this is probably the strongest cue as to why V will not die following the Star ending.

Next you have the Maneki-Neko
These cat figures can be found almost everywhere in the world, the most obvious one you can find in front of your mirror
20210108075748_1.jpg

Also the two you can see on Viktor's table as a metaphor for duality, see the very first image of this thread

Maneki-Neko can be many things, but in that particular case note that they raise their left paw, and they are white
In modern eastern culture, the left paw raised is a plain symbol of good luck
The white color represents purity and happiness
Long story short : it's basically the same symbol as the Robin, except from a different culture, more specifically Shinto and Buddhism perspectives from the game's narrative standpoint

Finally the Cow Toy (sorry it's hardly visible)
Cow_and_its_calf.jpg

Most of you probably know already the cow is a sacred animal in Hinduism and Buddhism, but in the game's case where the writers tried to present many different perspective and philosophies of life from many different cultures, we already have a Shinto - Buddhist symbol
So this is more likely to be representative of Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome where Cattle was also sacred
zeusbull.jpg

Rape of Europa - Cesar Boetius van Everdingen

The most well known example in that regard is probably Zeus turning into a bull to get his way
But in this case we're interested in Hathor
hathor-myths.jpg

Hathor among many characteristics, was in charge of helping deceased souls transitioning to the Afterlife

So what we have here are 3 "spirits", the Robin/Holy Spirit, the Maneki-Neko, and cow toy/Hator, but all of them representing basically the same concept just from a different origin

Now, while we keep in mind the fact that the game exposes similar perspectives but from different cultures and philosophies, let's talk about the Sphynx/Bakaneko in all that
bakaneko.jpg

Note that the Sphynx in that scene sees Johnny without the shadow of a doubt

Takemura is of Japanese origin, that much is very straightforward, he was raised under strict moral codes reminiscent of the Feudal Japan Samurai caste system
Takemura describes the Sphynx cat as a Bakaneko, a yōkai, a calamity spirit (Shinto), because that's his heritage

But in ancient Egyptian religion, cats are a symbol of good fortune - there is a lot to unpack here, i'll put down a few words on the opposition of cultures further down this post

Either way, while his opinion on the Sphynx is less than positive, he's still essentially pointing at the definition of the Psychopomp, guides to the Afterlife
Bare with me here because this one is going to be thick

Remember i pointed the Chariot Tarot card as possibly linked to Takemura ? The first time Tarot cards become visble on the map, it's right after you meet him at Tom's Diner
The Chariot sits right next door, so it's the very first card you may find
Here's a better picture of the card :
20210108084155_1.jpg

How's that in any way related to Takemura ?
I've seen a few people say his Tarot card is the Hierophant, but i disagree
Certainly there are echoes with Takemura in the Hierophant - respect for tradition and order but let's put that in pictures instead :
20210108072908_1.jpg

oda.jpg

The Hierophant is located where you first meet Oda
While it bares similarities to Takemura, by all intents and purposes it represents Oda
Goro breaks all manners of codes he should otherwise follow to the letter if he were to be associated with the Hierophant

[I need to split this post because of attachment limit]
Post automatically merged:

Remember, many times over Takemura calls you a thief
What he does by reaching to you - first as a tool but then as a friend - is the best he's able to do as the individual he is
Remember, you're a thief
No honor among thieves for him
20210108083506_1.jpg

That's reaching far down for someone of his status, moving places and asking favors to save your contemptible life and trying to protect you from shady dealings in the process

What figure in mythology would take thieves under their protection
Be associated with the Chariot
And also be closely related to Psychopomps ?
gorohermes.jpg

Hermes / Mercury
The messenger of the gods, and also another guide to immortality
Note that Hermes is represented with wings on top his helmet, that + the chariot, you basically get the speed monster riding a bike from the in game Tarot card

Replace the roosters with Sphynxes / Sphinx / Bakaneko and you get the full picture

Now i'm not saying Takemura is Hermes
Because it's a game of fate and higher power
He's essentially Hermes's manifestation into the game

I also wanted to talk about Hanako on the topic of cultural conflict within the game but i'm going to stop here, i have a lot of work

Thanks for reading and i hope that answers some of your questions

[addendum]
OP, it's neither. The engram isn't 'a copy' as it has all the continuity in the world - but neither is it the original V. It's V ripped from her biological and chemical contexts - as we can see with Alt and Johnny they are by far not their previous selves but something else, their living motivations and existential feelings blunted down and subdued, analytical thought and general understanding of things more intricate and complex than before.
All in all it is neatly summed up in the meaning of Temperance as explained by Misty - of crossing over to the beyond and transcendence.

I didn't edit the first post for the sake of preserving the continuity of the reflexion, but i've moved on past this problematic since then
To keep it short, I completely agree with you, and this is supported by the events in game
Alt dies because her connexion to her physical body is severed while Soulkiller is active
Same does Johnny
V's connexion, on the other hand, is not severed
By all intents and purposes, even considering engram V is not V, engram V ceases to exist the moment Alt puts the engram back into V's brain, essentially just updating original V's memories with engram V's Mikochi data

Which puts on a whole different perspective as to the Temperance ending where engram V "lives on" across the Blackwall, and original V lives on except with memories replaced by those of engram Johnny Silverhand
Remember V's body is destroying her because of what amounts to a conflict of data
Alt doesn't "replace the souls" in the body, she updates the brain's data to fit the body's version (in the Temperance ending that is)

Now all that said, focusing too much on the Ship of Theseus problematic can quickly lead to losing focus on the bigger picture and overarching narrative, though if you have more to say on that point, by all means do

Last edited:
Its weird to see things and acknowledge them but still not piece it together. The cat does appear outside of the main story where residents have died mostly. It only just occurs to me with V going to a pyramid and being uploaded to Mikoshi is very similar to how egyptians would leave windows for the soul to pass through into the heavens.

Thanks everyone for your participation, i didn't plan to organise another post yet but there are some interesting questions raised and i think i can provide some answers

While i don't agree Johnny and the Sphynx are manifestations of the same entity for reasons i'm going to elaborate, i agree the narrative hints strongly at fate
First off, that's why i'm pointing at both Judy and Misty as Oracles (one's a Cassandre, the other a Meta Oracle), you can go through the previous posts to see what's supporting the theory

Second, let's talk more in depths about Psychopomps and the spirits in general
View attachment 11133719

This is a scene you can find during Play It Safe, quite literally telling you the spirits are watching, during an accordingly spiritual parade

Lots of you will remember the bird, since it's your first encounter at the start of the Star ending
View attachment 11133737

It's a Robin, to keep it short they usually represent rebirth, regrowth, and leaving your bagages behind you for the purpose of self-realisation. This is first and foremost an heritage of the Christian culture (also cf the Holy Spirit) when it comes to symbolic, whether you're a religious person or not (disclaimer, i'm not taking sides, i just love mythology).
Remember birds are supposed to have been exterminated around Night City too
I'm not going to go on a tangent here, but let me just say this is probably the strongest cue as to why V will not die following the Start ending.

Next you have the Maneki-Neko
These cat figures can be found almost everywhere in the world, the most obvious one you can find in front of your mirror
View attachment 11133740

Also the two you can see on Viktor's table as a metaphor for duality, see the very first image of this thread

Maneki-Neko can be many things, but in that particular case note that they raise their left paw, and they are white
In modern eastern culture, the left paw raised is a plain symbol of good luck
The white color represents purity and happiness
Long story short : it's basically the same symbol as the Robin, except from a different culture, more specifically Shinto and Buddhism perspectives from the game's narrative standpoint

Finally the Cow Toy (sorry it's hardly visible)
View attachment 11133749

Most of you probably know already the cow is a sacred animal in Hinduism and Buddhism, but in the game's case where the writers tried to present many different perspective and philosophies of life from many different cultures, we already have a Shinto - Buddhist symbol
So this is more likely to be representative of Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome where Cattle was also sacred
View attachment 11133761
Rape of Europa - Cesar Boetius van Everdingen

The most well known example in that regard is probably Zeus turning into a bull to get his way
But in this case we're interested in Hathor
View attachment 11133764

Hathor among many characteristics, was in charge of helping deceased souls transitioning to the Afterlife

So what we have here are 3 "spirits", the Robin/Holy Spirit, the Maneki-Neko, and cow toy/Hator, but all of them representing basically the same concept just from a different origin

Now, while we keep in mind the fact that the game exposes similar perspectives but from different cultures and philosophies, let's talk about the Sphynx/Bakaneko in all that
View attachment 11133767
Note that the Sphynx in that scene sees Johnny without the shadow of a doubt

Takemura is of Japanese origin, that much is very straightforward, he was raised under strict moral codes reminiscent of the Feudal Japan Samurai caste system
Takemura describes the Sphynx cat as a Bakaneko, a yōkai, a calamity spirit (Shinto), because that's his heritage

But in ancient Egyptian religion, cats are a symbol of good fortune - there is a lot to unpack here, i'll put down a few words on the opposition of cultures further down this post

Either way, while his opinion on the Sphynx is less than positive, he's still essentially pointing at the definition of the Psychopomp, guides to the Afterlife
Bare with me here because this one is going to be thick

Remember i pointed the Chariot Tarot card as possibly linked to Takemura ? The first time Tarot cards become visble on the map, it's right after you meet him at Tom's Diner
The Chariot sits right next door, so it's the very first card you may find
Here's a better picture of the card :
View attachment 11133791

How's that in any way related to Takemura ?
I've seen a few people say his Tarot card is the Hierophant, but i disagree
Certainly there are echoes with Takemura in the Hierophant - respect for tradition and order but let's put that in pictures instead :
View attachment 11133794
View attachment 11133797

The Hierophant is located where you first meet Oda
While it bares similarities to Takemura, by all intents and purposes it represents Oda
Goro breaks all manners of codes he should otherwise follow to the letter if he were to be associated with the Hierophant

[I need to split this post because of attachment limit]

Remember, many times over Takemura calls you a thief
What he does by reaching to you - first as a tool but then as a friend - is the best he's able to do as the individual he is
Remember, you're a thief
No honor among thieves for him
View attachment 11133800

That's reaching far down for someone of his status, moving places and asking favors to save your contemptible life and trying to protect you from shady dealings in the process

What figure in mythology would take thieves under their protection
Be associated with the Chariot
And also be closely related to Psychopomps ?
View attachment 11133803

Hermes / Mercury
The messenger of the gods, and also another guide to immortality
Note that Hermes is represented with wings on top his helmet, that + the chariot, you basically get the speed monster riding a bike from the in game Tarot card

Replace the roosters with Sphynxes / Sphinx / Bakaneko and you get the full picture

Now i'm not saying Takemura is Hermes
Because it's a game of fate and higher power
He's essentially Hermes's manifestation into the game

I also wanted to talk about Hanako on the topic of cultural conflict within the game but i'm going to stop here, i have a lot of work

Thanks for reading and i hope that answers some of your questions

[addendum]

I didn't edit the first post for the sake of preserving the continuity of the reflexion, but i've moved on past this problematic since then
To keep it short, I completely agree with you, and this is supported by the events in game
Alt dies because her connexion to her physical body is severed while Soulkiller is active
Same does Johnny
V's connexion, on the other hand, is not severed
By all intents and purposes, even considering engram V is not V, engram V ceases to exist the moment Alt puts the engram back into V's brain, essentially just updating original V's memories with engram V's Mikochi data

Which puts on a whole different perspective as to the Temperance ending where engram V "lives on" across the Blackwall, and original V lives on except with memories replaced by those of engram Johnny Silverhand
Remember V's body is destroying her because of what amounts to a conflict of data
Alt doesn't "replace the souls" in the body, she updates the brain's data to fit the body's version (in the Temperance ending that is)

Now all that said, focusing too much on the Ship of Theseus problematic can quickly lead to losing focus on the bigger picture and overarching narrative, though if you have more to say on that point, by all means do

Soulkiller flatlines you - so it's not just slowly overwriting the existing engram. But it actually kills V again for a time. But yes, one could argue about this making a bigger difference. Nice point

Question in regards to takemura and his presentation - do you also get the devil card if you didn't save him and Hellman is the one in the Arasaka ending? (meaning _HELL_man is supposedly more the devil?).

Noticed this while playing through the first BD with Judy and Ev again.

photomode_08012021_153712.png

In the Arasaka ending we see them give V a cube to solve and its a point of frustration, appearing in a nightmare that reveals the Devil tarot face. Seeing cubes popping up around the game now has me wondering if there is more symbolism going on here after experiencing that ending. Could be nothing, of course.

do you also get the devil card if you didn't save him and Hellman is the one in the Arasaka ending?
I believe so, yes, but you do not get the Devil achievement, just the tarot.

Hello, first off I want to thank you for your thoughts! Good read.

On second playthrough I did the Don't Fear the reaper ending, survived it and my V gave his body to Johnny.

What would be your analysis to this ending? I'm really curious.

Also as a sidenote, I think the Star ending is less of a shell(male V) if you were there for Judy as a good friend! :)

Cheers!

Last edited:

View attachment 11134085

In the Arasaka ending we see them give V a cube to solve and its a point of frustration, appearing in a nightmare that reveals the Devil tarot face. Seeing cubes popping up around the game now has me wondering if there is more symbolism going on here after experiencing that ending. Could be nothing, of course.

This is giving me strong Vanilla Sky vibes

Hello, first off I want to thank you for your thoughts! Good read.

On second playthrough I did the Don't Fear the reaper ending, survived it and my V gave his body to Johnny.

What would be your analysis to this ending? I'm really curious.

Also as a sidenote, I think the Star ending is less of a shell(male V) if you were there for Judy as a good friend! :)

Cheers!

I plan to write about Saburo, Hanako, Yorinobu and the Arasaka as a family next
I've been thinking of going over all the endings and how none of them are bad if you follow the game's overarching narrative, that's gonna take a while though

Last edited:
So as i mentionned before, i wanted to discuss Arasaka from the mythologic perspective

First off i wanted to say, i went through my previous big post and i'd like to apologise because i tend to become passionate when i write on these subjects and dual reading in general
None of what i'm writing about i take for absolute truth, contrary to what my statements may look like
It's easy to get lost connecting dots and end up finding exactly what we're looking for only because we want it
tinfoil.jpg

So take all my expositions with a grain of salt, especially considering some of the findings i make end up contradicting some of my own earlier observations

For example i tried to connect the Magician Tarot to Judy - and while i still think there is some value to that theory, i also remembered this
20210107200416_1.jpg

Mr. Hands and Mr. Blue Eyes i think are going to be a source of a lot of discussions in the community for the forseeable future, and i'm hoping CDPR won't lift the veil because sometimes mystery and speculations are more interesting than just plain literal truth (remember Mass Effect's Reapers, for example)
I'll just say this on the subject, the way they are named reminds me a lot of Alex Proyas' Dark City, and could be hinting at the fact that they're soulless puppets

On the other hand, the magician character depicted on the card is a female

Some others while i still think i'm right on point, i would really love you guys and girls input, for the simple reason that i'm the kind of person who looks at things immediately like a big picture and i miss on all the details
One example of that is the Afterlife and Rogue's role in the whole story
20210109203457_1.jpg

I mean, morgue, captive souls, Claire serving the essence of other immortals in the form of drinks, that one i think is really on the nose, thankfully because straightforward cues are needed too to start the engine
Following that one, for example, one could easily start thinking there's something to be said about Rogue as Persephone, and Johnny as Hades, considering the hints the game leaves as to their deity status

But there's also a parallel to be made with Johnny and Alt as Orpheus and Eurydice
orpheus_looking_back.jpg

Michel Martin Drolling - Orphée et Eurydice

Especially if you consider how Johnny ends up killing Alt himself while she's in Mikochi (palanquin of a god), pushed to a mistake by his love for her
johnny_kills_alt.jpg

Which one is it, i don't know, maybe because i'm off the mark, maybe because it's a mix of both
Don't be shy and don't hesitate to add you own observations, no matter how small you think they are

Ok so after this long tangent, sorry, let's talk about the Arasaka family, more specifically Yorinubo and Hanako because i think Saburo doesn't have much more to him than being the very traditional (both from a temper and story perspective) King and Father figure, to a certain degree maybe yet another god; although i tend to place Arasaka in opposition with Night City and the Afterlife gods

First, we learn through various tidbits that they used to be a bigger family, only Yorinobu and Hanako are left, the mother and other sibblings are already dead by the time CP77 starts
There is also Michiko, Saburo's grandaughter but unless i'm missing cues, she's not really relevant, Takemura seems to think so himself

They lead the three main factions within Arasaka, basically tradition (Hanako), liberalism (Michiko) and reformism (Yorinubo), from Takemura's account

So Yorinobu is the rebel, he clashed with his father and went on to become a nomad, the lowest of the lowest, founded the Steel Dragons and even attacked Arasaka
Now, it's our guess why he left, all we know is that he was the ideal son until that one fatefull night and a meeting with his father where all hell broke loose
Maybe Saburo told him about his plans to take over his body, maybe they just highly disagreed about traditions, i don't know, if you do by all means i'm interested
Important point is, we don't know if he originally left on his own accord, or if Saburo denied him to begin with - probably a bit of both

Either way, this is Yorinubo's exile, and that's the first stepping stone of this theory

I'm skipping forward a lot because all the lore until the point i'm about to show, to me, only builds up for that specific moment
mommyissues.jpg

That's one second before Yorinobu kills his father
There's a lot to say about body language (Saburo reaching to his son's cheek right before dying is moving, this game's staging during main cutscenes is amazing)
But what we want to focus on is what finally broke the Yorinobu camel's back

Mommy issues

Who in ancient mythology was the son of a King, was exiled, and in a prophecy twist came back to kill his father witnessed only by a low life, crossed path with a Sphinx and an Oracle, and had a lot of mommy issues ?
Oedipus

Son of a King, that one's easy
Killed his father over his mother, albeit in a different dynamic (it's accidental in the myth and he doesn't know that's his father he just killed) but i don't think that's a problem, free form interpretation and representation, etc
He kills his father over a Chariot, by the way, might be coincidental, but food for thoughts
Witnessed by a low life : V the thief is not much more from both Night City and Takemura's perspective than Oedipus' escaped slave
sphinx_moreau.jpg

Gustave Moreau - Œdipe et le Sphinx

Defeated the Sphinx by answering existential riddles, the same ones V will have to answer over the course of her journey
Took over the Kingdom
And depending on which ending you go for, becomes blind and led to his death by his sister Antigone (again, different dynamic, up to you to see a correlation or not)

Keep in mind that wherever there's a prophecy in ancient mythology, there's a god or goddess who is either bored or has a vengeance to enact, and if you've been following this thread you know where i stand regarding the gods involvement in Night City and CP77 in general

That leads us to Hanako, and why she might be CP77's Antigone, except in this tale she's the sister instead of the incestuous daughter, and not a victim
That kind of paradox is not unheard of in the Oedipus myth, since Ismene is both Oedipus' sister and daughter
That leads me to think they writers purposedly mashed Antigone and Ismen up into one character

Remember that Hanako doesn't hate Yorinobu, she is indeed a manipulative porcelain bitch as Johnny so elegantly puts it, but she's also not an evil backstabbing treacherous snake, ans has nothing to gain from lying on that subject to V
habakoonechan.jpg

There's also something to be said about a possible borderline incestuous relationship between Hanako and Yorinobu, even if purely intellectual (she's only telling him not to embarass himself in this picture, it's not sexual, but the body language although hints at a lot of affection somewhere between motherly figure and lover)

hanako_tradition.jpg

(Hanako is such a brilliant character)

Even if i dearly wish there was more player driven agency through dialogues, i love that the game lets V ask such a stupid question (you don't have to this time, you can simply respect her decision), one thing these screenshots don't show is how insulting it is to Hanako although she keeps her composure, and how she answers with contempt
Clash of cultures, but that's a whole other topic

By Hanako's own admission, she is the heart of the family, she adamantly believes in tradition and the values she was raised in

To cut things short i'll just past Antigone's decription right from the wiki because it's concise and better than what i would come up with on my own :

Antigone, compared to her beautiful and docile sister, is portrayed as a heroine who recognizes her familial duty.
Her dialogues with Ismene reveal her to be as stubborn as her uncle.
In her, the ideal of the female character is boldly outlined. She defies Creon's decree despite the consequences she may face, in order to honor her deceased brother.

In any case, supporting her could be interpreted as lending a hand to Antigone escorting the blind Oedipus to his death
I know that's a lot of weird dots to connect but let me know what you think

I also know absolutely nothing about Japanese mythology so i'm reading the story and finding similarities through an occidental lens
If by any chance someone well versed in Japanese myths and cultures has something to say about all this, i would be very happy to hear from you

Just a last note, many ancient tales we can trace back having siblings in many different cultures
When i started diggin in mythology almost 20 years ago, it was with the Little Red Riding Hood tale, which vy certain accounts can be placed as far back as thousands of years ago in ancient Mongolia, a voice transmitted tale for a long time well before we find its first written versions (that we know of) in the 10th century
All that to say i wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese mythos had its own Oedipus

Bonus material :

20210110083219_1.jpg

Why Adam Smasher might be a mashup of Adam, Cain and Lucifer
That 96% conversion is not just because it's cool, he used to be a merc just like the legends of the Afterlife, but denied his heritage and joined the blasphemous Arasaka like a corrupted (man vs machine, soul vs data) fallen angel

And how coincidental is it that his very first exposition into the game is him calling an Eve(lyn) a fuckable piece of meat

That'd be the subject of a whole other topic by virtue of opposing the Arasaka and Night City in a clash of cultures (as displayed above with the V question to Hanako) which i don't know if i'm going to get into anytime soon

I also havent talked about Panam, Saul, and the Aldecaldos at all, the banished souls cursed with mortality and crawling in the mud outside of the Garden of Eden, fighting an endless battle against the Wraiths

A wraith is an undead creature whose name originated in Scottish folklore. A type of ghost or spirit, wraiths were traditionally said to be the embodiment of souls who are either on the verge of death, or who have recently passed on.

i really want to get on that, and how the endless landfills surrounding NC resemble mass graves of souls where V would have ended

And who saved V at this point by the way ?

- Is it cold data science ? the Relic and Arasaka
- Purpose ? Takemura
- Medicine, care and empathy ? Viktor
- Is it the Gods ? Essentially Johnny Silverhand the immortal legend of the Afterlife and literal Deus Ex Machina in terms of storytelling, along with Alt
- Spirituality through Misty ?
- The last parting gift of friendship ? Jackie
- Is it purely natural self preservation ?
- Did Dex actually kill her and you're no longer the original V ? Ship of Theseus

Don't know if i'll get there yet, maybe i should let the game rest and come back to it after they hopefully improve on all its flaws

Last edited:
well there is a quests with the two Bhikkhu Monks.
you can later meet them somewhere near JigJig street

its also gets kinda philosophical

or on one quest, a cat pushes Silverhand down from some construktion crate
iam not sure the cats are even real in cyberpunk or are kinda guides to death

Nice work OP for compilling all of that.

I have to wonder if the story of the game isn't meant to be a fourth wall breaking story in itself.
There is a skyscraper with a giant neon with Fourth Wall written on it at the top. I don't remember where it is.

This game is meta everywhere.

The owl on Judy's tatoo tends to confirm your theory as the owl is symbol of knowledge, seeing through the darkness. Judy just want love and share it, she wants to help people but everyone around her die or suffer no matter what. She can see everything will go wrong nobody listens to her she suffer in returns. She knows Evelyn will be dead, she says it through the whole quest where you search for Eve. When you call her before going to Fingers she says that it's rare that people keep their promises, meaning she has been betrayed and not listened a lot before. Typical Cassandra. But she also keeps saying that Eve is different from other people. I dunno why she thinks that because it's clear Eve is reckless and doesn't care about putting Judy in danger by involving her in that heist.

Also a loooot of character motives is vengeance to a point that it's strange. I wonder if Judy has this motive during the story. I don't remember that she particularly wants vengeance for Eve. She is the only one able to forgive, to forget.

I had the Devil ending at my first playthrough. I played it twice, first time without Takemura and Oda, second time with both alive.
The cube you have to solve at the end contains the devil symbol inside. You can't solve the cube, when you try to do it or, force it, it breaks and reveals the devil and you wake up in shock. Like a puzzle that is just here to keep your mind working, to distract you, but when you look inside you only see evil, the corp, the hard reality behind the curtain, the reign of Money. Kinda like the game itself, big meta here. It's actually an assessment that could apply to basicaly everything depending on the archetypes.
There is the same cube but solved this time on the counter during the tutorial BD during the prologue. This tutorial says everything about what the world has become. A place where the perversion is just astronomicaly FUBAR. And V experience death for the first time with this BD.

You can find this items around the city but not often and it's considered as junk. I have no idea if those cubes are at specific places because I wasn't focusing about that.
Sooo yeah I dunno if the cube means anything.

I loved that ending because it made me think of Brazil by Terry Guilliam.
The hero gets lobotomized and the system wins, 1984 style.
It is the worst ending for the world around you.
Ok you "survive" in Mikoshi but by your actions you started a new corp world war. There is even a gig with Padre where you discover a conspiracy from Arasaka to start a war against Militech and Padre says "stay out of this V". Padre is a spiritual character too. Valentinos hold the red rose of love, same as Judy in her tatoo.

You let Yorinobu die while he could have been the only one able to change Arasaka and give a chance to the world to become a "better" place. He is basically the only well intended character in Arasaka. Takemura being manipulated by his oath to Saburo and his honor as Arasaka is all he knew his entire life.

You completely fuck up the world and permit Saburo to basically become God by allowing him to rule for another century. You get to see all the "political" plot, what is behind the curtain by testifying to the board and it's as Saburo tells Yorinobu: "everything is a flag that waits the wind of fear to make it move" or something like that, and then he blew to Yori's face, meaning he is the one who created the Yorinobu's motivation. He may have even planed everything so he could reincarnate in Yorinobu. You're just a pawn of the devil in this ending as even through a lovely guy as Takemura, his power reached you. Takemura anyway avenged Saburo and remained loyal to him, he learned nothing.

With that ending, you don't see the characters suffer but you basicaly doomed the world so they might end up suffering anyway.

It's so odd how in this game you actually saves everyone by not interacting with them. The game invites you to meditate many times actually. You can play even if you don't do the heist mission. You still have all the gigs, the fixers, the police missions, the cyberpsychos, I think you might even have the Sinnerman quest. Some of them have interesting little stories and are fun to play. (Too bad there isn't more story to all that part.) All that to say that nothing forces you to ruin the life of all those lovable characters actually but there is still a game with a lot of void obviously but that can be used to contemplate this pharaonic work the devs accomplished. It would actually be awesome if they could get rid of putting all the side missions on the map, we would have to explore way more. The overall game would actually benefit from not always telling the player what they can do, exactly as they did with Takemura.
And I just realise the game does exactly that. When you arrive at Dex's car, what do you see ? Police and gangs shooting at eachother on the other side of the road.

Something bugs me, when was made Sabuto's engram ? Is it the Saburo who was killed by Yorinobu ? Or was this engram made before his assasination ?

Also what is the purpose of that gun near Yorinobu in the end ? Taking of leaving it doesn't change anything while as actually I wanted to infiltrate Arasaka and kill Hanako, the board and Yorinobu so Arasaka would be pretty much fucked and I'd have just sacrified myself or leave with Hellman.

I think I'm gonna restart my playthrough and not go fuck up the lives of those characters.

View attachment 11134085

YES

Still, is the whole story just a BD for folks to enjoy, or is there a higher power (real or digital, who cares?) that put those tarot card grafitti all over the place? Misty's reaction to everything fits either description. She's either a character playing a part in a story or she calmly accepts her role in an universe beyond her human comprehension.
I recently had this thought as well, I just couldn't point at what made me think of it.

A couple of thoughts on the cats - only 2 other (living) characters acknowledge the cat; Takemura and Mysty. One ascribes mystical significance to it explicitly and the other is the story's resident mystic. This, and their appearance in both flashbacks and when you go up the stairs of Mysty's building just before entering Mikoshi support the idea of the cat being a spirit. (I also figure the cat on the stairs is a Matrix gag as you see it 2x doing the same thing and you are literally in the "matrix" at that point.)

Also some quick thoughts on the Tarot - their symbolism isn't about anyone other than V. The simplest evidence is Death.

photomode_29122020_193423.png

Death, despite its name, doesn't mean dying necessarily and it is located on the wall of Embers. Embers is a place of great change for V. If you play a street kid, it is where you meet Jackie and obviously it is the place where you are set towards making the final choices of your destiny - all of which embody great change.

Another example is the Chariot. V rides the chariot, pulled in opposing directions and must set a course. Its not about Takemura at all.

@muscarine your "Hands" call while in front of the Mystic is coincidence. He calls when you go to the Lizzie's to talk to Judy, if you approach from the right direction - viola. Its a much stronger link to your introduction to BDs and connection to Judy.

Finally on the Tarot, thanks to this thread I have been able to confirm that the Tarot you see are Mysty's cards. They are quite buggy for me and rarely show.

The last thing I want to mention is that I feel you need to play all the endings and to stitch more of the story together. On my first play through I went Rogue and gave Johnny the body (such a confusing sequence). When I played through it last night I made sure V got the body back, and I then did a bunch of reloads and explored all the options with Judy. As I sat there watching the closing credit videos it struck me; V turns into Johnny, this is why Judy leaves her. If Johnny gets the body he has turned into V, which is why he's not the asshole he was through the story. This is actually how Hellman tells you it will happen, you will not be able to tell if you are V or Johnny.

Oh also - while the CDPR people may have put a bunch of mystical stuff into their story, things like the setting and Arasaka shouldn't be focussed on much imo. Those exist, as laid out in the game pretty much, all the way back to the early 90s in the pen and paper RPG. The symbolism being ascribed to them here may be inserted by CDPR - but isn't native to the fabric of the setting.

well there is a quests with the two Bhikkhu Monks.
you can later meet them somewhere near JigJig street
or on one quest, a cat pushes Silverhand down from some construktion crate
iam not sure the cats are even real in cyberpunk or are kinda guides to death

Interesting, thanks for the video, I'd not gone back to see those two. I think Alt needs to see them for counseling, as "she" has all but thrown in the towel on her humanity and embraced "her" mortal end to become something else.

I think the scene you're referring to is the one where you're staking out the Arasaka warehouse with Takemura, preceded by his bakeneko observation.

I have to say again that I'm enjoying this thread very much. Sorry I haven't added anything lately - after 300+ hours logged, I'm taking a short break from the game. I'll likely play more and have more to say after the next update drops.

Thanks for your input everyone

Something bugs me, when was made Sabuto's engram ? Is it the Saburo who was killed by Yorinobu ? Or was this engram made before his assasination ?

That's something i've seen other people wonder, and here's how i see it

When exactly the engram was made can mean a lot of things

Let's start with Hanako
First off, she tells you the board already knew Yorinobu killed Saburo at the start of Nocturn OP55N1

20210115220038_1.jpg

Thing is, she's lying right there
Not outright, but by withholding information
Look at her hands when she tells that to V : she's doing what's called a self-pacifying gesture, typically done involuntarily when under anxiety, notably while lying

V can point at her anxiety and sure, there's that vehicle passing by multiple times over, and her life is in danger, but right there, she's just lying and unwilling to share the existence of engram Saburo - simply because she doesn't fully trust V yet

(Note that i still don't think Hanako is a villain but that's not the subject of this post)

It's very important to pay attention to Hanako's body language during this entire exchange
When she gets impatients she taps her metal fingers on surfaces :

20210115221342_1.jpg

When she's laying out her bait and feels she got V hooked :

20210115221456_1.jpg

20210115221549_1.jpg

And most likely other cues i missed, body language during main scenes is very developped and deliberate

All that to say, she knew, the board knew, because they had the information, because they got the information directly, and there are two options for that

We already know Arasaka are capable of interpolating engrams after death, because they do that to Jackie
The broken, incomplete and glitching engram Jackie you get to talk to in the Devil ending, who doesn't even know "he died" (quotes because engrams are copies to me)
brokenJackie.jpg

Probably because either they got him too late (brain necrosis), or because they broke it with questioning
That's the first way they could have had their hands on a first hand basis recollection

Note that this Jackie is something else than the stairway and cats Jackie, that one would require a whole post on his own, but if you've been reading so far you know i'm going to go on a tirade about Afterlife symbolics and in this case the limbo

The other source for Hanako and the board, well since we now know for sure they can make engrams out of dead people, then why not a Saburo engram ?
The body was sitting there and much quicker to extract, and they were not going to spare expenses and precautions on a Saburo engram as opposed to a thief's

And then there's that :

engram_saburo.jpg

Note that he's not in any capacity saying he was there
For all we know, he could simply have been told, and most likely by Hanako telling him what they extracted from Jackie

Based on these facts, here's my conclusion :
They extracted Jackie's recollection of the Heist through his broken, corrupted engram created too late after death or breaking it themselves, and passed that knowledge to an already existing "backup" engram Saburo

This is particularly juicy because it means years after Alt's death (Johnny's was on purpose), they have found a way to use Soulkiller on people and not killing them in the process, i.e. after disconnection

It's important because it explicitely gives you insight on the "Soulkilling" process : you get copied, it's not a "psyche transfer" contrary to how Johnny puts it, and you're still entirely yourself as long as they manage to sever the connection without killing you.

That means V didn't die at Mikochi, that means engram V is but a short lived copy who gets uploaded back into V as a small data/memory update
In the case of you choosing the Temperance ending the implications are far more sordid :
Engram V gets to "live" forever while original V is either killed by virtue of being wiped and her body just a husk, or brainwashed into believing she's Johnny because other data is inaccessible, or locked-in watching someone else control her body - meaning Panam is absolutely and unequivocably justified in thinking she has to free V

your "Hands" call while in front of the Mystic is coincidence. He calls when you go to the Lizzie's to talk to Judy, if you approach from the right direction - viola. Its a much stronger link to your introduction to BDs and connection to Judy.

Definitely, and i still think the link to Judy holds more value, but i also think it's important to look at Tarot from another angle than just linked to characters
Maybe they're simply steps in V's journey, hence why the card would be here precisely near where Mr Hands first calls you
Since i don't pretend seeing clear through everything, many trails are interesting to follow, don't hesitate to develop on what you think about Tarot, linking them entirely to V is completely justified since after all, it starts with the Fool V like many good stories so why wouldn't it just keep refering to V afterwards

As I sat there watching the closing credit videos it struck me; V turns into Johnny, this is why Judy leaves her. If Johnny gets the body he has turned into V, which is why he's not the asshole he was through the story. This is actually how Hellman tells you it will happen, you will not be able to tell if you are V or Johnny.

Also agree, i thought i talked about that in a previous post but apparently not or not clearly enough
Sun V is essentially a Johnny/V combo reincarnation but with a very strong Johnny dominant, a new/reborn god of the Afterlife

The most blatant cue regarding this is Judy and Panam leaving V (they love V, they dislike/hate Johnny) and Kerry staying (lots of homoerotic tension between these two)
Poor River though i'm having such a hard time placing him anywhere in the narrative

Last edited:
They don't directly say one way or another whether the original body is around somewhere, but Lizzy Wizzy also points at major breakthroughs in Soulkiller/Relic tech since Johnny's death. Her manager even asks about altering her engram, which sort of suggests that outside of V/Johnny's case, engrams aren't even necessarily "fixed" in whatever storage media hosts them, but then again Lizzy Wizzy's "brain" could be artificial. Do artificial bodies require a maintenance cycle or something? Lizzy says she doesn't even need to sleep, so her manager would have to somehow trick her into "shutting down" or something for a mental update.

Lizzy raises so many interesting questions. We get the impression her body is 100% artificial and we certainly see mercs around the Afterlife that have fully metallic bodies. By the same token, Adam Smasher is considered to be an extreme case at was it 96% or 98% artificial? It strikes me as odd that he's implied to be an extreme case, but we know at least Lizzy is 100% artificial and not a cyborg.

Yes, while V's original meatbody's brain may be being overwritten, since V was uploaded like we know Lizzy was uploaded, why can't V also have an artificial body, thus removing the "bite" of untimely death that most of the endings imply?

Definitely, and i still think the link to Judy holds more value, but i also think it's important to look at Tarot from another angle than just linked to characters
Maybe they're simply steps in V's journey, hence why the card would be here precisely near where Mr Hands first calls you
Since i don't pretend seeing clear through everything, many trails are interesting to follow, don't hesitate to develop on what you think about Tarot, linking them entirely to V is completely justified since after all, it starts with the Fool V like many good stories so why wouldn't it just keep refering to V afterwards
There is a cowboy like one, and its location is odd and I couldn't figure it out before, but I did today. It's on a tunnel under the parking lot where V's car is parked. Further evidence imo that they should just be tied to V imo.

It is a little annoying that they only start appearing after you talk to Takemura - the game doesn't really start the main story until you have done that. If you ignore him and run around the city doing stuff it is like Johnny doesn't exist. This is one of the flaws in the game imo.

Lizzy raises so many interesting questions. We get the impression her body is 100% artificial and we certainly see mercs around the Afterlife that have fully metallic bodies. By the same token, Adam Smasher is considered to be an extreme case at was it 96% or 98% artificial? It strikes me as odd that he's implied to be an extreme case, but we know at least Lizzy is 100% artificial and not a cyborg.
Smasher is extreme, not because of how much of him is metal, but because of how inhuman he is. Lizzy is a cyborg, a brain in a metal body. (With care in the old CP2020 RPG you can actually start the game with a body just like Lizzy's.)

Muscarine, if you find the time, investigate the Grand imperial mall before starting the mission that takes you there.
The floor plan of the mall is quite similar to the floor plan of the Hathor temple and there is something very strange about the area where you encounter Sasquatch, the ceiling above being an inverted pyramid and the floor below having an arrangement of ad boards that can be raised out of the ground.

There are no ads on these boards, they are glowing gold like the sun apart from two, which are black.
Reflections on the adjacent walls show the boards whether they are raised or not.
I suspect there is a multi stage interactive easter egg/secret in this area, the opening of a door or summoning of a being reminiscent of a ten step summoning ritual practiced in ancient egypt.

I also i can't ignore the fact that Sasquatch is the most statuesque character in the game, a vessel fit for a god.
Sasquatch is also the only combatant i know of that plugs her neural link into V during combat, i didn't experience this myself but saw it on a yt video, Sasquatch and Placide then have some kind of hacking battle in V's head whilst V battles Sasquatch in realspace.

Lastly the Thaud ad board with the torso symbol that resembles a horned bovine head that includes the words: 'Follow your instincts' feels like a nudge in the right direction or a constant Hathor-themed reminder all over the city of what you have not yet discovered.
The thing that pulled me in to all this was an NPC describing a glitch, objects briefly glowing like the sun, which i initially wrote off as early stage cyberpsychosis lore, until i saw the glitch.
I am aware however, that i might just be hunting a Snark.

This whole thing with, is V V, or not. I personally never really got it. Where does this start? Does it start the moment something is removed from the body? Is V V when their eye ball is changed out? Or does only the mind matter? From the games cannon. Characters can add and remove body parts at will. This also includes organic body parts. Because we can remove the arms and restore the human arms.

Claire is the second cannon representation. She was male and became female. Her entire body was restructure to female. So they can clone organs. Even if you believe in the "soul". V's mind is transferred into a server, or chip. You're head goes from chemical to data, than back. We know it can also copy the mind. Just like body parts.

At worst, there's a duplicate of V. If Mikoshi is setup to do this automatically. So Arasaka can do research. Without anyone knowing it. The rest, V is 100% moved from the brain to another. The chip can overwrite the old brain and get rid of subjects. It can physically interact with the neurons and control them. It also can rewrite DNA. Which is a plot hole problem. When removed, the body is brain dead. So I see it as a clear cut answer. Blank hard drive. The system has the ability to move the mind to where ever it wants. Or can copy, if they want clones. Saburo is the one that we saw do this. He didn't care that he would die. Because another copy of himself would get his revenge.

If you do believe V is no longer real. Than Johnny and Saburo are also fake and pointless to care about in the whole game. The reason why I believe the chip is 100% taking your mind. And not making a copy, is V's death. The Relic had Johnny on it. V was killed more than 5 minutes. Neurons normally depolarize within that limit. It takes forever to drive to the dump. V wakes up with basically zero brain damage. The Relic is able to keep the brain alive. It can fully control and feed the brain. With the entire body off. The Relic is a active brain itself.

There would be no V in the game from that point. If it didn't work. But it did. The cooling requirement of the chip. Could also mean that the Relic chip is part organic. The brain itself can do neurogenesis. Meaning, it can learn, repair in some cases, and move memories around.

Last edited:
Top Bottom