[Suggestion] Add "dislike/thumb down" option also on forum

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not going to happen. We employ a system of positive reinforcement only. Unlike the wider bulk of the internet, we are not going to encourage people to jump on the deindividuation train and look to gang up on points of view they dislike simply for something to do. People will instead need to argue their points of view constructively and respectfully. (Sticking a thumbs-down / -1 in someone's face is neither constructive nor respectful.)

It goes back to the old addage: "If you can't say something kind..."

Guest 4368268

Never.

Any negative voting system would be abused, and there's no reason to make people feel bad because someone downvoted/thumb-downed their post (out of spite or otherwise). This isn't Reddit and should not turn into it either.

I personally loathe negative vote systems because all they do is cause unnecessary upset. There is exactly zero real reason to have them. If you don't like something you are free to express that in words, in a polite manner of course.

(Also, this has nothing to do with GWENT so moved to Community.)
Very glad to see this is your stance. I think downvoting is a lazy approach to disagreeing and Reddit is indeed the perfect example of that. Even asking a question there can lead to being swarmed with downvotes. I think the idea of downvoting on sites is usually intended for combating spam/obvious trolls but it degenerates into "his sentiment isn't mine, dislike."

It goes back to the old addage: "If you can't say something kind..."

There are plenty of posts, across this forum, which are exactly opposite.
Post automatically merged:

Minus dislikes can be interpreted negatively while likes do not.
Besides, you can just like what someone is responding against, I do that a lots too.

Still I don't understand why "negativity" expressed by "dislikes" is bad, but negativity expressed in posts is OK. For me those are two different methods to express the same feeling / opinion.

Still I don't understand why "negativity" expressed by "dislikes" is bad, but negativity expressed in posts is OK. For me those are two different methods to express the same feeling / opinion.

Because the negativity expressed in dislikes can be felt like a personal attack while negativity in posts cannot be personal attacks per forum rules, only (argumented) expression of a different point of view.

Because the negativity expressed in dislikes can be felt like a personal attack while negativity in posts cannot be personal attacks per forum rules, only (argumented) expression of a different point of view.

I have absolutely zero influence on how other person will feel about what I just said. Going with this, even respectful comments for one, for another person can be seen as personal attack. If we are so concerned about this, then the forums should be closed altogether.

I remember a forum where during a time they activated the dislikes.
They had to remove them again because it generated toxic behaviors.

I'm a bit scared of this rainbows and chocolate rivers attitue.

I'm OK if there are not voting at all but if there is A there should be B.
"Negativity" behind a thumb down is unexplained but so is the "positivity" behind thumbs up. Quotation marks because the upvoted message doesn't necessarily have to be positive itself. Nor well explained, constructive... etc.

Just hiding N in Y/N responses to create some kind of nice illusion (people who would downvote are still there with the same opinion) sounds to me like... drugs?

I'm a bit scared of this rainbows and chocolate rivers attitue.

I'm OK if there are not voting at all but if there is A there should be B.
"Negativity" behinda thumb down is unexplained but so is the "positivity" behind thumbs up. Marks because the upvoted message doesn't necessarily have to be positive itself. Nor well explained, constructive... etc.

Just hiding one type of response to create some kind of nice illusion (people who would downvote are still there with the same opinion) sounds to me like... drugs?

It is a complex issue. I raised similar premises. It did not go well. My advice: Conform

It is a complex issue.

Whoah.

PUBLIC discussion. Public discussion on moderation policies always goes south. If you have issues, feel free to contact a mod or a Red team member (Vattier, here) at any time.

As for the thumbs up/down, as Sig said, nuh uh. That also gets ugly.

Kindness and respect are Rule 1 here. You can be negative, sure, but pleasantly negative, in a friendly manner. Thumbs down is not that.

Moderators are the judges for that, while they could do nothing about dislikes.

I prefer to judge by myself if I like or dislike something. Coming from a former communist country I don't really think that some third party force should decide what I wanted to say, you know? Mods should only enforce forum rules - if they start doing more, like playing "decision" game, then you have a bigger issue.

Kindness and respect are Rule 1 here. You can be negative, sure, but pleasantly negative, in a friendly manner. Thumbs down is not that.

Sorry, but I see plenty of disrespect directed at CDPR, devs and CP2077 in this forum. It passed being "pleasantly negative" ages ago. Most of the positive topics or threads are buried by post after post of negativity - why this kind of negativity is allowed, when we are all "unicorns and butterflies"?

I prefer to judge by myself if I like or dislike something. Coming from a former communist country I don't really think that some third party force should decide what I wanted to say, you know? Mods should only enforce forum rules - if they start doing more, like playing "decision" game, then you have a bigger issue.

[...]
Understandable, but look at it from their perspective.
Thumbs down invites herd mentality (people just jumping onto someone) and never leads/led to anything positive.
Your opinion is not supressed, however if you disagree you have to actually express your opinion.
Your opinion will only be removed if it violates forum guidelines, which is impossible to verify for dislikes (as those are not reasoned).
To calm down your worries, the argument against implementing it is actually from the perspective of individualism and not collectivism (edit: faceless dislikes are actually very close to that, so I would say you should worry about that if anything).

Ultimately only allowing elaborate disagreement and not just masked disagreement actually helps them to not be forced to go beyond "only enforcing forum rules", which they would otherwise have to do, which would inevitably result in a leap of way no matter the outcome.

Okeley dokely.

Well, opinions have been expressed, that's good. Forum rules, however, and moderation policies are not subject to discussion. Feel free to PM a mod or a Red if you'd like.

Before this goes even further down the argumentative rabbit hole of politics, free speech, democracy and whatnot, closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom