Tanks, CDPR, you just made my day

+
This is why I don't update anymore. The mods I have installed are way more valuable than any fixes that have come with the last two patches.

Yep, they killed off a few of my essential mods that I know will never ever be updated. Thanks CDPR for single-handedly ruining the rest of my Witcher 3 experience. It's like they are purposefully pushing modders further and further away.

Seriously, I'll die without my FOV slider mod. I get a headache every time I play with the default FOV, Geralt's too close.

A rollback to 1.11 would solve all the mod related issues for now, if it's a matter of life and death, while we wait for the mods to be updated. I did not see anything really important to me in the patch notes anyway, so I'll be rolling with my mods for now ;)

Yep, they killed off a few of my essential mods that I know will never ever be updated. Thanks CDPR for single-handedly ruining the rest of my Witcher 3 experience. It's like they are purposefully pushing modders further and further away.

Purposely? They're doing what any decent dev would do, which is fix the bugs in their game. They're not gonna halt progress for your convenience. Not everyone uses mods. Fortunately, GoG users will be fine. The patch isn't worth downloading at all if you want to keep your mods intact so best to wait it out. If you're on Steam, then there's not much else one can do except hope the original mod authors update their work.

i dont think there will be any worthwhile patch until B&W, will most likely be fixing bugs that only happen once in a blue moon, anyone can keep playing 1.11

I don't mind CDPR fixing their own game. They have every right to do it. What I dislike is unnecessary refactoring and obfuscation (and yes, dammit, this IS an obfuscation because in total absence of any documentation we could at least use internal code comments to understand how things work).

When CDPR released those modding tools they got themselves a team of co-workers. And it's just a matter of being able to recognize this fact and treat modding community with at least a bit of respect. No coder would like to work for months and then discover that the rest of the team have suddenly refactored all the code. Replacing previous patch with a new one and refactoring the code might be easier for CDPR programmers, but it was a very bad thing to do to mod makers.

Regardless. Here's the result of my attempts to compare 1.11 scripts with 1.12 ones: google drive link. There are both original and decommented sources inside (not only that, but they also removed trailing whitespace characters from some of the lines, which might have resulted in nicer looking code and saved them a few bytes of disk space, but it also added to unnecessary diff "noise"). brief.diff contains a list of changed files and full.diff contains a full list of changes in diff format. decomment and decomment-all.sh are linux scripts which I used to make these decommented scripts (useless under windows). Decommented sources are in utf8 format, because utf-16le drives my old iconv crazy and I don't have time to find out what's the problem. At any rate, this will at least allow modders to see what exactly was changed and whether or not files from their mods were affected.

EDIT: updated the above link with commented versions of 1.12 scripts made from 1.11 sources.

Last edited:
This normal for all games. For example, every time Bethesda updated Skyrim, it would break a whole bunch of mods. CDPR is under no obligation to support unofficial modifications to their game.

They didn't destroy your game, they fix the vanilla part..
You have to merge each and every scripted mod to add the new vanilla base on your modded files..
My point earlier was, imo, it's to soon to install this patch, just wait and see as it will be requiered as base for the next step which will also probably re-break most mods anyway..

My vanilla part was fine, it worked well, and all my mods worked. Now it's destroyed until a fix is made, or all the mod authors update their mods.

As for being a requirement for the next part, I'm still pretty sure that it's gonna be a little bit until Blood and Wine as there hasn't been any real news on it lately.

In the meantime, I'm rolling back to 1.11, which is what I recommend everyone else with mods to do until they authors get them updated.

Last edited:
I've updated the link with commented version of 1.12 scripts made from 1.11 sources. Turns out there are 73 updated scripts (72 updated and 1 new). Three of decommented scripts were bugged, they're also updated as well as diff files. Patch 1.12 changes in commented scripts are marked with //patch 1.12 begin and //patch 1.12 end lines.

Some of the changes are just refactoring of the code, but there also are a lot of changes to almost all commonly modded files. I think each and every file I modded for FriendlyHUD was changed in one way or another.

New oil indicator code is spread among like ten different files. Nice feature, but modders managed to do the same thing by editing just a single file (and creating one new file). Same with HUD on/off fix - the code is massive and is scattered among tons of files. CDPR, of course, has the right to do things their own way and I'm sure they know their own game better than modders, but this means that update process will take longer than usual. God, if only all the programmers knew the word "decoupling"!

At the same time all bugged skills are still bugged: there are no fixes to broken sign or alchemy skills.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if the change has caused you inconvenience but I'm afraid removing the comments was necessary. This change will not be reversed.

Regarding spreading the code among files - it is a good practice and in some cases improves optimalization. We understand that changes to scripts make it necessary for modders to update their work and we make sure to implement them according to best coding practices and our internal conventions. They are tuned for optimal usage of our engine, and that sometimes means that the code isn't the most concise imaginable. Also, we tend to use existing structures, not create new ones.

And thank you for creating mods for our game and bearing with the changes we introduce :)

I'm sorry if the change has caused you inconvenience but I'm afraid removing the comments was necessary.

That's what i thought from the beginning, i just couldn't see why you removed them on purpose. Thanks for the clarification

I'm sorry if the change has caused you inconvenience but I'm afraid removing the comments was necessary. This change will not be reversed.

Regarding spreading the code among files - it is a good practice and in some cases improves optimalization. We understand that changes to scripts make it necessary for modders to update their work and we make sure to implement them according to best coding practices and our internal conventions. They are tuned for optimal usage of our engine, and that sometimes means that the code isn't the most concise imaginable. Also, we tend to use existing structures, not create new ones.

And thank you for creating mods for our game and bearing with the changes we introduce :)

Look at how easy it is to mod Bethesda games, make modding easy like them. Innovate please.

Is that really an explanation by CDPR?! I'm not sure. :question::ermm: Thanks CDPR! Because of the Witcher 3 I want to order a new pc the next days. Only a gaming pc. I had searched for a lot of days to buy a perfect machine... And I had played TW3 in past for three times yet, I want to start a new playthrough on pc only because of some very beautiful and cool mods... That I can forget at the moment...:veryangry:

Top Bottom