The E3 gameplay demo. What do you think needs to be worked on? What did you like?

+
I thought the combat animations looked really smooth in the VGX trailer:

Like damn, that looks amazingly smooth and fluid! Why is there such a discrepancy between this and the E3 demo? Maybe this was just too short of a clip to really tell?

Kinda starting to agree. and i am a very nitpicky vocal one and im surprised by how harsh is the criticism. I was expecting a disaster readfing this comments, then saw the demo and it was great.

Reading some of those posts just makes me sad. I don'y know, maybe it's true that your fans are your harshest critics.
I personally thought it looked awesome and what people take for choppy animations are just remedy for a problem of unresponsiveness. Whatever. This forum makes me sad. Guess I need a break.

Kinda starting to agree. and i am a very nitpicky vocal one and im surprised by how harsh is the criticism. I was expecting a disaster readfing this comments, then saw the demo and it was great.

I can understand that some people don't want to read or hear anything critical, but at the same time I think that it's constructive with the purpose of trying to make the game as good as possible. Even though giving criticism can give the impression that I didn't like the demo, I did actually really like it.

Last edited:
Gotta say the combat looks a tad disappointing (not really what I expected). Not much different from Witcher 2; ie. messy with too frantic pace and simplistic flow to really be tactical rather than just controller-dextrous. That's just how it looks to me, though. I would prefer if they slowed things down a bit and gave the actions more punch; less dancing too, Geralt can be a master swordsman without appearing like in a ballet act.

I think they need to make some improvements to the combat system. And the camera angles during the battles felt a bit weird and "forced", as well as that the dodging animation was pretty simplistic and repetitive. Other than that, looked very impressive, the graphics and facial animations were amazing.

- Fighting wasn't as smooth as I expected (especially the transitions between the animations). But it did look responsive which is a good thing.

- Walking / jogging (this one especially) / sprinting animations are somewhat awkward compared to some other AAA titles. The steepness of the ground should influence the way Geralt moves.

- Do something about those white arrow trails, they're not cool.

Other than these, I could only nitpick. Most of the things seemed fine to me.

Last edited:
One thing I realized: Floating weapons on people's backs/sides.

Can we please get rid of that? I saw some characters with weapon sheaths in the trailer but some didn't have em, if you can't make weapon sheaths just don't have them floating on their backs, goes with the crossbow Geralt carries.

Adding to that, the world looks barren - lack of small wildlife etc,
Really man? A griffin have just killed pray nearby and you expect wildlife popping up like wild flowers?. You can walk for hours in a forest without ever seeing a bird. If there was any widllife in the area it would most likely have moved on out of fear of beeing attacked anyway. It makes me wonder if you have actually been in a real forest.

Making Critizism is one thing but alot of these rants are just silly.

Last edited:
I liked a lot but I'm gonna mention the things I didn't like and hopefully it will serve as some kind of feedback
-dodging is too jittery
-projectiles leave white traces in the air behind them (looks unimmersive and distracting)
-game telling you what potions to use( seriously what kind of sense does this make. you need to read about the beast and decide what to make not have the game tell you. Hope you can disable it)
-I also didn't like giant blotches of red over the screen, maybe there's more subtle way to do witcher sense?
@lorddantelink
you can see it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNBDtFLFi_c [Embed]

Last edited:
I liked a lot but I'm gonna mention the things I didn't like and hopefully it will serve as some kind of feedback
-dodging is too jittery
-projectiles leave white traces in the air behind them (looks unimmersive and distracting)
-game telling you what potions to use( seriously what kind of sense does this make. you need to read about the beast and decide what to make not have the game tell you. Hope you can disable it)
@lorddantelink
you can see it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNBDtFLFi_c [Embed]
Thanks

I'm surprised so many expected large changes in the combat, never heard it reported that it was a goal, more just a evolution towards it being more responsive, something that looked like was the case in these videos.
Here's my take,

Bad:
Crossbow- don't mind the idea of Geralt having one but the implementation isn't good at this point. The projectile trails don't fit, the ability to fire twice in a row with no reload is silly and I'm not a huge fan of the tri bolt functionality either.
Witcher Sense- way better then the cat's eye potion but it should be softened down some more. It still would be abundantly evident the trail you needed to follow. The little acoustic hints actually seemed quite well done but the visual based sensing was too much.

Mediocre:
Animations- I don't hate them but some more fluidity in combat would be nice as well as what other people have mentioned about changing how it reacts to elevation. As it is, I could live with the current iterations but definitely would prefer them improved.
Game Filter- Whole game seemed a bit too hazy for my liking
Empty world- This is more of an incomplete but I do worry about the world being feeling like it's inhabited, even outside cities. Saw a good selection of birds but not a whole lot else. Again too small of segment to make any real conclusions here.

Good:
Combat- think it looks better and more responsive over the base Witcher 2 which is a nice thing
Graphics- looked very pretty. Textures looked high quality.
Movement- jumping down those hills and onto that ledge looked so good.
Sound- loved the music and it felt well tied in. Rest of audio was great as well.

To elaborate.
I really hope they improve the combat mechanics. As I said in the E3 thread the keyword for me is crowd control. The devs said that we would see and feel that Geralt I a true swordmaster but I don't see it if im honest. The combat changed only to the point that Geralt is not rolling he just steps aside now. That's really not a big improvment.
I hoped we see more sword blocking animations which would show how a fine swordsman he is.
Also the transitions between the animations should be smoother.

Oh cmon man , how do you expect to see alot blocking animation when there is only one instance of sword clashing in the entire sequence? The last enemy is the only enemy that actually manage to get a swing out , and that one is parried into a riposte , into a axii execute. Maybe the dev should have played without signs and dodging to show off the system but he didnt.

Keep in mind that quality of these goons seem to be the equivalent of the ruffians in Floatsam when you are making your way up to the Kayran in TW2.(Enemies you are ment to plough through)

Bad:
Crossbow- don't mind the idea of Geralt having one but the implementation isn't good at this point. The projectile trails don't fit, the ability to fire twice in a row with no reload is silly and I'm not a huge fan of the tri bolt functionality either.
Witcher Sense- way better then the cat's eye potion but it should be softened down some more. It still would be abundantly evident the trail you needed to follow. The little acoustic hints actually seemed quite well done but the visual based sensing was too much..
I have to agree on the tri bolt shots fired from the xbow. The projectile trails is not necessary, and only one shot should be fired. Personally like the idea of having a small handcrossbow for those pesky flyers though.

Softening the visual effects of the witcher sense is probably a good idea aswell , instead of the glaring red color something more more subtle should be picked.

Empty world- This is more of an incomplete but I do worry about the world being feeling like it's inhabited, even outside cities. Saw a good selection of birds but not a whole lot else. Again too small of segment to make any real conclusions here.
I think some of you need to have a more realistic approach to how wildlife actually operate. Having a ton of wildlife in every nook and cranny is not realistic , espesically not near a fresh kill with a predator on top of it.

As you said yourself , we have to remember that this is a too small of a segment to make any real conclusion in regards to the richness and depth of the open world.

Last edited:
You guys must be on crack! I thought the demo was absolutely amazing!
Any doubts I had about Geralt's new look were instantly dispelled when I saw facial animations other than frowning from the Sword Of Destiny trailer.
And what facial animations they were. Quite possibly the best I've ever seen.

In regards to combat animations, I really liked that Geralt's moves were very, very fast. In the books its described that people could instantly tell that he wasn't human when they saw him fight, and most people can't believe their own eyes, which is kind of what I feel is actually happening with a lot of you right now.
So basically that is as close to canon as you'll get ;)

The only thing I can really pinpoint that I felt could be improved was animations when running up a steep slope, and I'm sure they're working on that already.

Thank you CDPR! Looking forward to tomorrow

Yeah, it must be the crack rocks!! LOL...;)

Top Bottom