The I LIKE WHAT I'VE SEEN Thread

+
I don't know how much of that was just just coincidence, but if they really are listening to fan feedback, which can be a double edged sword, I'm glad they're listening to the immersion/in-game environmental features and implementing those suggestions/changes. I know of one other studio which boasted about "listening to fans" constantly, and they never did any of what the fans suggested to them ever, still don't.

I think the in-game trailer is confirmation enough that they did a 180 on the art style of the game. im sure many within CDPR hated the initial aesthetics.

I think the in-game trailer is confirmation enough that they did a 180 on the art style of the game. im sure many within CDPR hated the initial aesthetics.

Could be, but it doesn't mean that the new aesthetics aren't what was initially planned to be implemented in the game anyway. Mike Pondsmith's been crucial to the development of the game's aesthetics (or so we've been lead to believe, we can't know for sure how involved) and he said something about the day and night cycles existing even in cyberpunk worlds. Which is absolutely true If you take into consideration that every cyberpunk movie we've seen so far is set on planet earth, it's a fact that there will be sunrises and sunsets and yet most movies avoid this.

I never even considered something so simple as that before I watched the Mike Pondsmith/Kyle Rowley interview with Angry Joe. Thank god for Blade Runner 2049, they realized the earth is a planet in the solar system. I guess this is why the alleged father of "cyberpunk", William Gibson, had issues with the aesthetics of the game from the E3 2018 reveal. So glad he's not the owner of CP2020.

I didn't see any 180 turn between the two trailers in terms of art style. Trailers have different mood, but for different reasons.

Think he was talking about the trailer taking place in broad daylight.
Is it really art style? It's merely mood. Design aesthetic is the same, as far as I can tell. It's like saying that if a movie goes from a drama scene to a comedy scene, it makes 180 turn in terms of art style, which isn't true.

Is it really art style? It's merely mood. Design aesthetic is the same, as far as I can tell. It's like saying that if a movie goes from a drama scene to a comedy scene, it makes 180 turn in terms of art style, which isn't true.

He's not wrong, though. William Gibson was trying to throw shade at CP2077 by calling it a... "GTA skinned-over with a generic 80s retro-future." All because a 2 min trailer didn't show broody night skies with foggy, neon-lit skylines.

Can't say if they have actually listened and picked up, but there are a couple of (less obvious) features that show off some likeminded thinking with some of the things I've been trying to push for for a good while.

Be that as it may, they're good news.

Could be, but it doesn't mean that the new aesthetics aren't what was initially planned to be implemented in the game anyway. Mike Pondsmith's been crucial to the development of the game's aesthetics (or so we've been lead to believe, we can't know for sure how involved) and he said something about the day and night cycles existing even in cyberpunk worlds. Which is absolutely true If you take into consideration that every cyberpunk movie we've seen so far is set on planet earth, it's a fact that there will be sunrises and sunsets and yet most movies avoid this.

I never even considered something so simple as that before I watched the Mike Pondsmith/Kyle Rowley interview with Angry Joe. Thank god for Blade Runner 2049, they realized the earth is a planet in the solar system. I guess this is why the alleged father of "cyberpunk", William Gibson, had issues with the aesthetics of the game from the E3 2018 reveal. So glad he's not the owner of CP2020.

gibson is a bitter old man that hasn't written a good book since Pattern Recognition. His opinion is completely moot at this point.

gibson is a bitter old man that hasn't written a good book since Pattern Recognition. His opinion is completely moot at this point.

Let's not match his bitterness with our own. Credit where credit's due! He did help establish the cyberpunk genre as we know it today. How much of that we can attribute to his works alone is debatable, but he's played an important part. I just wouldn't shower him with reverence and call him the "father of cyberpunk" for a fact. I agree with the rest of your point though.

Let's not match his bitterness with our own. Credit where credit's due! He did help establish the cyberpunk genre as we know it today. How much of that we can attribute to his works alone is debatable, but he's played an important part. I just wouldn't shower him with reverence and call him the "father of cyberpunk" for a fact. I agree with the rest of your point though.

i just despise his too cool for school attitude, that trailer was alot of things but generic s not one of them. it was cyberpunk 2.0.

Isn't the only reason noire is at night is because the protagonist is a corporate salary-man by day, anarchist / punky brewster fashionista / l33t haxor / crime solving detective by night?

If V was a shift worker then it could be Day City / Crime Blanc

i just despise his too cool for school attitude, that trailer was alot of things but generic s not one of them. it was cyberpunk 2.0.
I personally think it's funny to see his political ravings on social media - for a guy who set the stage for a setting all about opposing the status quo and establishments, he's taken quite happily to defending those things when it suits him. After all, the 'punk' in cyberpunk isn't about the fashion, or the pink mohawks, or the neon lights cast against rainy nightscapes.. it's about rebelling against societal norms - which is what punk has always been about.

If the 'norm' of society is to go with the establishment, to accept things as they are and let bought off, Stepford smiling faces on the news tell you who is good and who is evil, and to remember to 'Always Eat Juicy Fruit-Flavoured Supplement 57! It's Good For You!', then the 'cyberpunk' is the one who says 'Screw you, I'm going to buy a cow on the black market and eat steak!'
30.gif

As to the actual on-topic question.. I'll get back to you when the one thing I've asked for gets confirmed or denied in a few years.

It's not about there not being a day/night cycle. It's about not seeing the sun. Typically in classical cyberpunk settings (including Blade Runner 2049), you never see the sun even during the day, because it's always covered by a haze of dust or pollution.

Rather than daylight, the criticism that could be made about the trailer is that it all looks so clean. But maybe this is in a future where pollution is gone, and environmental problems were solved by technology. Which isn't very cyberpunky in that the theme would call for those things to keep getting worse, but on the other hand it may be more realistic that they'd be solved if nothing runs on fossil fuel anymore.

China cyberpunk irl.jpg

Personally I'm fine with it either way, and I liked the trailer. I still find this pretty funny though:

Which isn't very cyberpunky in that the theme would call for those things to keep getting worse

That's the thing, though, he thinks just because he wrote one really good novel that people attribute to the cyberpunk genre, that he's defined anything and everything cyberpunk ever. Really egotistic of him, especially since it's not even his franchise that he thinks "should" pay homage to his views and opinions. He got thrashed for it on his twitter, rightfully so.

That's the thing, though, he thinks just because he wrote one really good novel that people attribute to the cyberpunk genre, that he's defined anything and everything cyberpunk ever. Really egotistic of him, especially since it's not even his franchise that he thinks "should" pay homage to his views and opinions. He got thrashed for it on his twitter, rightfully so.

I think lil Billy Gibs threw that shade bc whatever they've produced of his Neuromancer movie probably looks drab as hell alongside it. Personally I've played enough monotone games over the years, I'm glad this isn't going to be another.

The MAIN thing I wanted was a voiced male/female protagonist design like how mass effect did it and we got that with backstory options to boot! Very happy with this. As long as they tone back the language/cheesiness (demo impressions hinted this was potentially an issue) then I think it'll be fine.

The game being FPP definitely caught me off guard but as long as we still get several cutscenes throughout our 100+ hour playthrough where we see our character V in the 3rd person then I'm fine with it.

Will find out on release.

My only wish in the thread where they asked for what we want, was having randomly seeded physical and personal traits on enemies to make enemy encounters more dynamic and to make us feel like these are actual people.

E.g. an enemy can have the trait "Strong, +2STR" and "Coward, will prioritize standing in the backline in combat" while one enemy can have the traits "Fragile, -3CON" and "Fast reloader, +33% reloading speed" etc.

By randomly seeding enemies with both positive and negative traits combat becomes more dynamic and the enemies you fight feel more like actual people.

Top Bottom