Votes: 40 2.9%
  • There was enough of Triss in the game

Votes: 128 9.1%
  • I don't like Triss

Votes: 38 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a book reader, I feel the need to defend the Yennefer romance and the character of Yennefer while also being someone who chose Triss as well as the romance. I've mentioned that Yennefer and Triss is the Betty and Veronica of the Witcherverse and the thing is, "There's no wrong answer." People have different tastes in their romantic partners with some preferring Yennefer types and others preferring Triss types.

I think the idea you have to hate on Yennefer just because you feel Triss has been shortchanged is disingenuous to both CD_Projekt Red as well as the complicated, fascinating romantic love-triangle which the developers have built up from Sapkowski's writings. In the books, there's no question that Yennefer is Geralt's OTP as even when he's with Essi or Triss or Fringella or Iona, he's always thinking about Yennefer.

But I've got to say I like what they chose to do with the whole Triss romance not only in The Witcher 1 and the Witcher 2 (where, honestly, Witcher 1 Triss was kind of clingy, jealous, and irritating) but how it culminated in the Witcher 3. People complain about a sparcity of Triss content but while this is true, I do think they don't really give credit where credit is due and that is in the VERY FUN and VERY ENJOYABLE expansive Triss plottage. I liked dealing with Triss in Novigrad and we got a lot of fun adventures with her.

* The Rat Killing Mission where Geralt watches out for her w/ the Merchant
* Geralt threatening the couple which sheltered her while she castigates him (because she's more softhearted than him)
* Triss and Geralt's lovely "date" in the Masquerade where he can get jealous over her old lover there.
* Drunk Triss is best Triss.
* The romantic, "Triss as Harriet Tubman" with her Underground Railroad speech.
* Their entire interaction while exploring the underground of Novigrad.
* The beautiful sex scene in the Lighthouse.

They have SOME GREAT moments in the game and the problem isn't that there's not enough of them but they just STOP and that really is a shame.
For me, a big complaint about the game isn't just the fact these wonderful things stopped but the fact that Yennefer is kind of treated as being 90% Alpha Bitch mode the entirety of the game and that really is kind of unfair to the character. People talk about how Yennefer got the "big push" instead of Triss but Yennefer spends 90% of the game either ripping off people, endangering the innocent, or being a horrible person to Geralt. Where the hell is the softer side of Yen? The woman who loves Ciri more than anything? I mean, AT ONE POINT, Yennefer says Geralt should bring Ciri to Emhyr.

What.the.f****, Yen?

You OF PEOPLE should be advising Geralt to keep her away from him at all costs. Unless you have a clever ****ing plan to turn Emhyr into your mind-controlled puppet, that's not your character from the books.

Where is the woman who, well before Geralt, won the everlasting love of the North's dwarves by preventing a pogrom? Where is the woman who is the everlasting friend of All Children EverywhereTM? In short, this isn't Yennefer, the game's presenting us Morrigan from Dragon Age and converting her Alignment to Lawful Evil (or at least Neutral with Evil Tendencies) instead of Neutral Good.

The relationship with Yennefer and Triss and Geralt and Ciri stops altogether when you can't really separate the four of them. Yennefer needs moments where Ciri and she can bond. Triss needs moments where she can bond with Ciri. Geralt needs moments where he can talk to Yennefer about his relationship with Triss and about his relationship with Yennefer OR Triss with Ciri. Instead, the game acts like any spouse is related to Ciri only by being Geralt's girlfriend. Not, you know, people with a very important with Ciri themselves.

I understand the game developers can't do EVERYTHING and they're f****ing Goethe compared to, say, just about anything else out on the market but this is the best written game series EVER and they shouldn't have dropped the ball in the final stretch. If they were exhausted, running out of money, or whatever, sure, I understand, save it for the sequel but I will PAY for the additional content. If they're worried about boring the fans just there for the monster stabbing, well throw in a SKIP button.

I'M INVESTED in it.

Well said man, I completely agree.

Geralt on the boat to Skellige

Geralt: Hey Triss
Triss: Hey
Geralt: What do you think of Eredin and Avallach?
Triss: Sorry i am not allowed to talk, cya
Geralt: Wait, where are you going, i just want to confess my feelings for you!

Triss walks to the other side of the boat only saying well? whenever Geralt tries to interact with her
Yen:Hey Geralt, stand up straight!
Geralt: Yen? i am trying to interact with Triss but for some reason i can't
Yen; Sorry that is all the time you get with her, now start flirting with me!
Geralt: Umm you look beautiful but i kind of feel forced to say this
Yen: And i am suppose to get angry at you for sleeping with Triss!
Geralt: But i love.....wait for some reason my voice isn't allowing me to mention her to you...
Yen: I don't know who you are talking about
Geralt: I was talking about Triss!
Yen: Ohh is she here? didn't recognize her here, she should talk more
Geralt: I know what kind of sick joke is this!

Later at the tent, Triss walks by....
Triss: Good luck!
Triss leaves, Geralt follows her
Geralt: Wait! that is all you can say, i could die!
Triss: Well?
Geralt: Why are you avoiding me?
Avallach: There is no point trying to interact with her, she is suffering from the curse of wells.
Geralt: But we shared those beautiful moments at the Vengelbud residence, the lighthouse and the fountain outside the Passiflora!
Avallach: And that is all you get, plus only a couple of people think you are together, i do because i am a cool elven sage
Geralt: THIS ISN'T FAIR!!!!!!!!!!!

Eh, Geralt flirts with other women.

He flirts with Fringella or tries to on the Boat from Emhyr.

"Hey, LOOKING GOOD, Fringella."

"Sweet Fire, Geralt, I just got out from Emhyr's Torture-Sex Dungeon."

"You still look good."

Okay, I know this is a bit off topic but I was wondering. Was Moritz (the arrogant mage from the party) Triss' former lover? I had the impression that they had a brief affair but I am not sure about this.

Okay, I know this is a bit off topic but I was wondering. Was Moritz (the arrogant mage from the party) Triss' former lover? I had the impression that they had a brief affair but I am not sure about this.

It goes like this.

Triss: Yeah, I remember him. When we first met his opening line was something like, "Yeah, want to go and have sex somewhere in a corner?"

Geralt: You told him off, right?

Triss: Oh, is that what you think I would have done? *mischevious grin*

From what little we see of Pre-Thanedd Wizards, their lives consist basically of nonstop sex, partying, and riches.

No wonder Keira is so depressed.

I don't think so, he pursued Triss but i assume she turned him down and he kept pursuing her for a while after - of course they may of had a brief affair.

Last edited:
Was Moritz (the arrogant mage from the party) Triss' former lover? I had the impression that they had a brief affair but I am not sure about this.

She pretty much says so, yes. If I had to guess, it happened like 10-15 years ago.

I think the idea you have to hate on Yennefer just because you feel Triss has been shortchanged is disingenuous to both CD_Projekt Red as well as the complicated, fascinating romantic love-triangle which the developers have built up from Sapkowski's writings.

Just stopping by to say that yeah, this really has to stop. Both Triss and Yen are amazing characters who aren't without flaws - and you aren't helping anyone if you trash either of them for merely existing.
I mostly agree with the rest of the post too. Well said, lad.

I don't think so, he pursued Triss but i assume she turned him down and he kept pursuing her for a while after - of course they may of had a brief affair, but i think Triss still wasn't over Geralt at that point.

I think, it was before Geralt.

Thanks for the answer guys! Yeah, Triss' answer was a bit ambiguous and playful but I also had the impression they had a brief affair. I guess it was a long time ago before Geralt, though.

In my two playthrough i thought more that he did attitudes for doing the boss shit and he is entirely mysogyn, if there were something between them, doesn't show me like it was a serious thing, so i didn't care at all

Can I just say I'm getting tired of references to the books and people popping by to throw accusations of Yen hate. The books are not what this thread is about and as far as Yen hate goes, that's not in this thread, least ways since I first posted around fifty pages ago. It's tiresome because it's derailing the thread so can we please keep it on topic, stop rehashing the same points and make suggestions on how to improve the Triss romance and create parity with the Yennefer romance, please.

Book Triss had a huge number of affairs with men and women which were emotionally unsatisfying.

Regular Humans were Crude, Gross, and Stupid.

Mages were incredibly self-centered sociopaths or closed off.

Geralt, however, was basically her Paranormal Romance being the Brooding Dark Tortured HeroTM she loved.

Can I just say I'm getting tired of references to the books and people popping by to throw accusations of Yen hate. The books are not what this thread is about and as far as Yen hate goes, that's not in this thread, least ways since I first posted around fifty pages ago. It's tiresome because it's derailing the thread so can we please keep it on topic, stop rehashing the same points and make suggestions on how to improve the Triss romance and create parity with the Yennefer romance, please.

The books are important for the Lore. Triss had some good stuff in the books as well as the games.

As for Yen hate, I'm just calling it like I see em.

I like both Triss and Yen.

What's wrong with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom