The Witcher 2 to use "'always online DRM"?

+

pfuzz

Forum regular
The Witcher 2 to use "'always online DRM"?

It seems likely, then, that the same kind of DRM that has beset the PC versions of Assassin's Creed 2 and Settlers 7 will be present in Namco Bandai's Test Drive Unlimited 2 and The Witcher 2, at least in Europe.
I just read these terrible news - http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/28/namco-bandai-partners-supports-always-on-drm-for-now/I am new Witcher fan, I have bough both english translated books, Witcher game. I was looking to pre-order Witcher 2 as soon as I found this website, just to keep my hearth calm, waiting for it.I followed this website reading all news, and was glad that you found publisher that is not Ubisoft or using steamwork (I absolutely despise requirement to be online or launch some other programms than the game itself to play it, i am fine with steam as optional thing tho).But now...If these news are true. You have lost a customer. I will still play your game cause knowing your talent I will love it but I WILL pirate it, cause as we know it, only ones who suffer from these DRM measures are legit customers. It's a fight customer can't win, I know my pirating will bring only more restrictive measures upon everyone, but I don't care anymore. After your in-trailer message I was very optimistic about your approach to your fans, but now I am disappointed.

OMG, I can't believe it !! Why ?? Is it real CDPR ?? After the forum another step back dammit

pfuzz

Forum regular
I also want to say that I don't live in rich country, I live in Baltic states, I am not rich myself, recently lost my job.But I don't want this post to sound like justifying piracy to get stuff for free. I can afford a game I want. I am more than WILLING to pay for this brilliant game (I can't see it being anything else from you guys, even if it will be released for consoles) but these measures just put me off.

Indeed, rather disappointing (if this proves itself to be true). Seeing how much frustration all the other industry efforts generated, I will refrain from purchasing a license until a legit purchase can be cracked, as I am not devoting what should be a joyful game experience into what is frustrations that come with acting as a guinea pig for always-on DRM. A launch most probably will be DoS'd or simply might suffer from technical in-capabilities on day-one. (MMOG companies still fail to tackle launch days, publishers (with their tech partners) in their desire to optimize cost profiles, have an even worse track record to anticipate incoming traffic and to set proper dimensioned means of authentication in place, see any recent example in always-on DRM history for reference)cheers

Don't support DRMhttp://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/c926y/the_witcher_2_new_publisher_namco_bandai_to_use/

In other news, developers have yet to accept that all DRM gets cracked and therefore only hurts the people who actually pay for the game.

Please don't mistake developers with publishers. Most often developers have nothing to say in this matter, it's publisher decision.

I'm really looking forward to The Witcher 2 but if this game will utilise such a ridiculous DRM method you have lost another customer.

NO NO NO don't do this!We don't want to have connect to internet just to play "single player" games.Alway online DRM is EVIL...I won't have it...I forbid THIS!Don't turn a good game into a disaster.The bad thing is you have to pay internet fees just to play a single player game that doesn't require online game play.WE DON'T SUPPORT DRM.

Say it isn`t so. But if it is then at least give us the option to play logged off.Nothing sucks any worse than to buy a game and go to play it and can`t because of internet connection and server issues

This is certainly not a policy of CDPR. They just released the first game DRM-free mind you. And internet DRM is a mistake. It's still crackable and only a bigger hinderance to buyers.

If you read those reddit comments, you'll see that a LOT of them loved the first game... JUST like everyone else here does. Some even were WAITING to pre order it. Now they are really considering whether they should pirate witcher 2 or not because of this draconian system you want to implement.

I hope this is not the case. At the very least, I hope that assuming it's on Steam (the last one is so I don't see why not) they allow it to use Steam's DRM instead of this one if you buy the Steam copy. I've used Steam to avoid getting SecuROM dumped on my computer in the past because often publishers will use Steam INSTEAD OF the DRM in the box copy of the game. I already have Steam, I know what I'm getting with that, and it has an offline mode. I know CD Projekt does not support draconian DRM like this, but I also know they have little say in the matter, it's the publisher's decision, not theirs. :-/(granted Ubisoft's games on Steam have it, but... that's Ubisoft. they're more hardline than most developers/publishers, to say the least)

Mistreating the customer isn't the right way to fight piracy, I didn't buy Mass Effect until they removed the install limit protection, now I'm not buying games from Ubisoft for any platform.I hope I don't have to punish CDPR by not buying the witcher 2, but I won't buy a DRM infested game.

That DRM would be a mistake and hinder the good name Witcher game has, it got reedited in the platinum version DRM-less, why go backwards now?

Hi guys! This is exactly, how the rumors are born :) It all has begun with the interview of the CVG service with Mr. Comte of Namco Bandai. He told, that in his opinion there's no other way of fighting illegal copying of the games etc. All other information are rumors and cause panic among players. There is nothing to worry about! I hope our opinion about the DRM is clear, especially after removing it in the last patches for The Witcher game. Nothing is decided yet, and still, it's a private opinion of the Namco's delegate.Debates about any special protection system for the game is the one of last decissions to be made. We'll keep our foans informed, but since then - please do not worry about that. We don't want our players to face any inconvenience.

Top Bottom