Votes: 270 26.2%
  • I need to see it in action to be sure

Votes: 294 28.6%
  • I prefer the system of TW1

Votes: 363 35.3%
  • I prefer the system of TW2

Votes: 104 10.1%

• Total voters
Agreed, I like it when you drink the potion and affects you nearly instantly, then wears off. It means you have to carefully plan your fights especially on the harder difficulties.

Threads merged. Now a little moderator remark, as this problem keeps popping up and 1 to 1 private messages don't seem to be effective:

Users are kindly asked to browse or search the forum first BEFORE starting a new thread as there might be already one that covers issues you want to discuss. Doing so will help us keep the forum tidy for all users to enjoy. The search functionality on the new forum works rather well and browsing a few first pages won't hurt either. This is a forum, not Twitter.

:scold:

Not the same at all really. If you consume the potion beforehand but choose not to activate its effect, then you've wasted it, it will eventually wear off and there's no way to get it back. If you have it on your belt or w/e, you just put it back in your inventory - there's no downside to not taking risks. Furthermore, if you've drunk 3 potions, your toxicity is maxed, can't replace them without meditating and losing all of the potions you had consumed previously. If you have 3 in your belt, it's very easy just to swap one potion on your belt for another from your inventory without any downsides. Drinking potions from your belt also means you can pick and choose which potion you wish to drink, whereas you use up all the potions you've consumed once you activate the effect, not just one.

Again, I'd like to stress that the idea of the new system seems to be encouraging solid preparation - from drinking potions before combat to the new 'witcher senses' that help you investigate an area to try and get an idea of what enemy you might be up against.
Not necessarily. Just make Geralt only have three glass recipients instead of infinite, and he can only carry those three. If you prepared a wrong potion, then you have to throw away the content of one of the three recipients in order to make another, thus losing the potion you had prepared.

About toxicity, you would still have to meditate to prepare a new potion, since it would take time for Geralt to mix the ingredients - again, if you haven't prepared the right potions you'll lose them. About consuming one instead of having to activate all three, it's better like this in my opinion, since you can still have a margin of variations even with the three potions you have prepared, while not making the game easier or "dumbed down".

You can also have a thirty seconds delay from when you drink them to when the effects kick in, perhaps even making you a little more vulnerable until they do, thus discouraging the player to only drink a potion once they're already in a fight. Getting into battle prepared would still be crucial in order to survive a tough fight.

You see, it is possible to have a system that makes sense and is lore-consistent, even more realistic than the previous iterations, for me. Activating Geralt's metabolism is an idea that I hate and find absurd, and I feel like it would really negatively affect my immersion in the game.

Not necessarily. Just make Geralt only have three glass recipients instead of infinite, and he can only carry those three. If you prepared a wrong potion, then you have to throw away the content of one of the three recipients in order to make another, thus losing the potion you had prepared.

About toxicity, you would still have to meditate to prepare a new potion, since it would take time for Geralt to mix the ingredients - again, if you haven't prepared the right potions you'll lose them. About consuming one instead of having to activate all three, it's better like this in my opinion, since you can still have a margin of variations even with the three potions you have prepared, while not making the game easier or "dumbed down".

You can also have a thirty seconds delay from when you drink them to when the effects kick in, perhaps even making you a little more vulnerable until they do, thus discouraging the player to only drink a potion once they're already in a fight. Getting into battle prepared would still be crucial in order to survive a tough fight.

You see, it is possible to have a system that makes sense and is lore-consistent, even more realistic than the previous iterations, for me. Activating Geralt's metabolism is an idea that I hate and find absurd, and I feel like it would really negatively affect my immersion in the game.

Well, it actually isn't lore-consistent, Geralt meditates and performs a ritual when taking battle potions, they take a toll on his body, so drinking them on the fly is still not as described in the books. So if lore inconsistency is what you dislike, then I'm afraid the system you propose is still flawed in that regard.

Furthermore, you're still left with the gameplay issue of a potion running out too quickly or having an active effect for too long, which the new system is trying to address. I think it's fair to assume that the developers know what potion effects are going to be included, unlike us, and seem to believe that this is the best way to implement them. The mechanic seems to be too specific for me to think otherwise.

Last edited:
Well, it actually isn't lore-consistent, Geralt meditates and performs a ritual when taking battle potions, they take a toll on his body, so drinking them on the fly is still not as described in the books. So if lore inconsistency is what you dislike, then I'm afraid the system you propose is still flawed in that regard.

Furthermore, you're still left with the gameplay issue of a potion running out too quickly or having an active effect for too long, which the new system is trying to address. I think it's fair to assume that the developers know what potion effects are going to be included, unlike us, and seem to believe that this is the best way to implement them. The mechanic seems to be too specific for me to think otherwise.
That's what the delay between activation and effects would be for, to represent the toll taken on Geralt's body - I also proposed that he could be more vulnerable in those thirty-or-whatever seconds. Flawed, perhaps, but at least it's not completely inconsistent with both lore and realism.

Still, how would this system be less balanced in the potion's effects duration than activating all three potions at once on command? You'd just have to be more careful before finding yourself against an enemy without having adequately prepared (which is even better, in my opinion), but the two systems are mostly equivalent for everything else.

"Drink now, activate later" system: You drink one to three potions during meditation, and you activate them all at once whenever you think you're in a tough fight. To cancel the effects or drink another set of potions, you must meditate again and the previous potions are lost.

"Prepare now, drink later" system: You make one to three potions during meditation, and you drink one, two, or all of them whenever you think you're about to be in a tough fight (or risk drinking them during it). To cancel the effects or prepare another set of potions, you must meditate again and the previous potions are lost.

Perhaps it's as you say and there's something I'm not grasping about this system, and maybe when I'll play the game I'll see things differently, but I really can't get to like this idea, for now. Which is really a shame.

I think both systems could be easily balanced:

"Drink now, activate later" system: there is a certain time that has to pass from activating potions until they take full effect. So you still have to be vigilant and you're in trouble if you get ambushed, because even if you hit the activate button, there will still be something like 15-30 seconds before potions start to work.

"Prepare now, drink later" system:: you can drink potions during a fight if you were careless, but you risk getting yourself killed while doing it as the drinking animations take certain amount of time after activation.

Honestly, if the game is anything like TW1 or TW2, then I probably won't be using more than the same 3 or 4 potions over and over throughout the entire game.

@eliharel That's right. What's more, this was actually a planned feature for TW2, CDPR just never implemented it which actually left me disappointed. They've clearly been considering it for some time now, it's not a decision made lightly or with the intent to dumb down the game. As for @peteo 's comment, that's exactly what they're trying to avoid, using a typical system for potion that gives you a "get out of jail free" card whenever you're surprised by an enemy. You're a witcher, a professional monster slayer, and you need to be prepared.

Of course, as eliharel said, preparation and research needs to be very important in order to avoid making the potion system obsolete. Anyway, I think I've said all that I wanted to say on the subject.

Basically all potion drinking can be considered a "get out of jail card" regardless when it is consumed! But that's NOT what I was saying, what I'm saying and others have said as well, is that drinking a potion hours or days before needing to use it is "unnatural", as someone said, if you drink a Redbull now, it takes affect NOW! In all cases you have to be prepared with the right potions but again, using the potion while in a tight fight is more natural than taking it 5 hours ago and "releasing" its affect.

What I don't understand is why the devs would want to make that change, it adds nothing to the game play except to dumb it down (make it easy or easier)!
So if he eats an extra Donut, can he release its affect eight hours later to get that satisfying buzz?

Last edited:
I think both systems could be easily balanced:

"Drink now, activate later" system: there is a certain time that has to pass from activating potions until they take full effect. So you still have to be vigilant and you're in trouble if you get ambushed, because even if you hit the activate button, there will still be something like 15-30 seconds before potions start to work.

"Prepare now, drink later" system:: you can drink potions during a fight if you were careless, but you risk getting yourself killed while doing it as the drinking animations take certain amount of time after activation.
For gameplay purposes, sure. My problem with CDPR's system is that it makes no sense from a realism, plausibility, non-absurdity and similar words point of view.

Still, how would this system be less balanced in the potion's effects duration than activating all three potions at once on command? You'd just have to be more careful before finding yourself against an enemy without having adequately prepared (which is even better, in my opinion), but the two systems are mostly equivalent for everything else.

That's not the issue that I brought up. What I said was: "you're still left with the gameplay issue of a potion running out too quickly or having an active effect for too long, which the new system is trying to address." This means that you're stuck with either a short or long timer. The short timer is more balanced as it doesn't let you clean out an entire swamp of drowners before your potion runs out but it suffers from, well, being too short sometimes. As I've said in previous posts, you only need to look back to the Draug fight at the end of Chapter 2 of TW2. By the time you reached the boss, your potion effects had worn off - this is precisely what the "holding" mechanic's for, it's there so that you can activate the potion when you actually need it, not waste it while getting there.

So less boring, standard potion use like drinking Swallow because it gives you a nice health regen for 3 hours. Instead, it keeps the unique feel of the mechanic used for potions in TW2 while getting rid of the downside, which often made them utterly useless. It gives each potion purpose - you consumed it because you will only need it for a short amount of time in a very specific situation. If you forget the BS explanation they've given (and hopefully won't use in-game), then you can think of it in a more logical sense. Maybe Geralt's adrenaline makes the potion effects really kick in (i.e. when the player decides it's time to use the potion).

In all cases you have to be prepared with the right potions but again, using the potion while in a tight fight is more natural than taking it 5 hours ago and "releasing" its affect.

That's not how it's supposed to work but if you want to exaggerate, feel free to. You're meant to take the potion before entering, say, and Ice Giant's lair. You don't know where exactly the giant is, but you've investigated and know he's somewhere around. You drink your potions so that they're ready to go once you fight the giant and then you do your thing.

Last edited:
For gameplay purposes, sure. My problem with CDPR's system is that it makes no sense from a realism, plausibility, non-absurdity and similar words point of view.

You expect realism and plausibility from a game mechanic that is about a guy that went through mutations which made him basically a superhuman; a guy that drinks potions that would most probably kill or heavily damage an ordinary human being to furthuer enhance his abilities? Right.

There are some character attributes that we all accept as part of the "fantasy" that we are playing but there are others that are harder to accept, for me, as well as others, drinking a potion has always been accepted as drinking and the affect taken place immediately (unless its a slow poison and we the players know its a slow poison) . Now we are asked to suspend our natural understanding of how drink/food works - I still do not understand why it needed to be done!!
I guess what really bothers me is the ability to "turn it on/activate it" at will! So, when its in your stomach, is it in a separate compartment, does the Witcher have two stomach's?

Also, seems like the closer we look at the character of the Witcher, I for one, feel like he was not well conceived character in the original books (if he could "suspend" reactions to potions" in the books!! But that's just me. Also, if this has never been in any of the previous games, why do it now, its an unnecessary change!

There are some character attributes that we all accept as part of the "fantasy" that we are playing but there are others that are harder to accept, for me, as well as others, drinking a potion has always been accepted as drinking and the affect taken place immediately (unless its a slow poison and we the players know its a slow poison) . Now we are asked to suspend our natural understanding of how drink/food works - I still do not understand why it needed to be done!!
I guess what really bothers me is the ability to "turn it on/activate it" at will! So, when its in your stomach, is it in a separate compartment, does the Witcher have two stomach's?

Also, seems like the closer we look at the character of the Witcher, I for one, feel like he was not well conceived character in the original books (if he could "suspend" reactions to potions" in the books!! But that's just me. Also, if this has never been in any of the previous games, why do it now, its an unnecessary change!

You repeatedly pointed out how bad this system is. How about you present us your alternative concept for a change.

Keep in mind though that it still has to fulfill all the requirements CDPR seem to have set for their system (rewards preparation, does not influence game balance negatively, allows periods of suspense in between expecting an encounter and the actual encounter aka does not run out too quickly, for special occasion aka not supposed to have active potions at all times, not suitable for "just in case" preparation aka preparing potions without expecting to actually need them should not go unpunished...).

The whole idea of meditating before drinking a potion is silly in my view (flaw in character design from the very beginning of the books), I could see meditating to enhance/sustain your magical abilities and even perhaps your physical abilities, but drinking potions!!!?

Potions are man made, using basic/natural ingredients that the Witcher knows the formulas to, that's it, there is no magic to it! Yes, perhaps some of the potions are "toxic" and only a Witcher could drink them but that's as far as I believe that potions should go. If a "normal" man/woman knew of the formula they should also be able to create them and drink at their own peril!

Dam, the more I think about this the more disappointed I am :(

The whole idea of meditating before drinking a potion is silly in my view (flaw in character design from the very beginning of the books), I could see meditating to enhance/sustain your magical abilities and even perhaps your physical abilities, but drinking potions!!!?

Potions are man made, using basic/natural ingredients that the Witcher knows the formulas to, that's it, there is no magic to it! Yes, perhaps some of the potions are "toxic" and only a Witcher could drink them but that's as far as I believe that potions should go. If a "normal" man/woman knew of the formula they should also be able to create them and drink at their own peril!

Still not seeing any input on how you think the potions game mechanics should work like. Indirectly, I can deduce that one shouldn't have to meditate to consume potions from your post, but that really is all there is.

Who ever said that the creation of the potions is a magical process? That was never how I envisioned it. I think you're feeding your own disappointment here, peteo. The way I imagined all along was simply... brewing a potion. Which requires time. Hence, the passage of time and staying in place. To be honest, not until your post did I think about it as even something remotely magical (the brewing, that is). I daresay you are insisting on seeing things in a crooked angle to stay in your angst. So much so that when aaden asks you to offer an alternative, your reply is to continue complaining about the system. Now, I don't believe that unless you have a solution, you're not allowed to voice criticism. Yet even so, I think you're a bit overdoing it, and you're constantly ignoring explanations.

Your options come down to this:
A) Short lasting buffs. This route means two things:
A-1) Either you ruin the exploration aspect, since the devs will need to place the monsters at very obvious locations. Or:
A-2) You keep the mystery of exploration, but render the potions useless, since more often than not they'll be wasted. This in turn means two more things:
A-2-i) Potions aren't really necessary to begin with, since you can waste them and yet still survive. Which renders the entire aspect of the game pointless. Or:
A-2-ii) Potions remain necessary, but this in turn means a very frustrating gameplay (in the case where we kept exploration fun and surprising, rather than obvious), since you'll likely continue wasting the potions at wrong moments, and then constantly die in the fights.

Or the different route:
B ) Long lasting potions. But I think that there's a consensus that this is much less exciting and lowered-adrenaline gameplay. If not, I can explain what I think it is.

Every path involves giving up on something. That's why the "frozen" effects seem to me the best compromise between fun gameplay and relatively acceptable lore bending.

Last edited:
To aaden: my feeling on drinking potions is in previous posts, which is that, when you drink it, it takes affect! None of this "activate later" BS!

To eliharel: I never said creating potions is a magical process, just the opposite! I said anyone could do it, all you need is the formula! (please read my post above again)

As to the alternative, use potions as they were used in TW2, you drink it, timer starts right there and then! Why change it now, its the last Witcher game!

Every path involves giving up on something. That's why the "frozen" effects seem to me the best compromise between fun gameplay and relatively acceptable lore bending.

I actually like the idea of preparing a couple of potions and keeping them ready at your belt. But still I wouldn't ditch the "once you decide to go for that potion it will be gone" mechanic. I think having potions lose their effects and becoming useless rather quickly is a decent solution. So, when you meditate before entering a lair or something, you prepare the potions you think you're going to need and Geralt puts them on his shoulderbelt - with only x slots available, so you don't just prepare anything and see what you'll actually drink. When the actual fight is imminent, you actually drink the potions. Potions you don't drink, go bad after a couple of ingame hours.

This is mostly the same as the current system, but with a different explanation, lore-wise. The only differences are an added layer of liberty: you can decide which potion you drink at which time - so you're not forced to activate all at once - and might even be allowed to prepare the same potion multiple times, if you think that's what you'll need. And the second difference: You'll need a bit of time to activate (i.e. drink) the potion, which is not a good idea in the thick of battle - but I'd keep that time short as Geralt would have a very streamlined process for that, so that you can do it immediately before combat or when you have a short time window to catch your breath.

As to the alternative, use potions as they were used in TW2, you drink it, timer starts right there and then! Why change it now, its the last Witcher game!
Because it didn't work very well. More often than not, your potions would run out during a cutscene or dialogue before combat. Plus, the open world allows more exploration and isn't as straightforward as TW2's relatively small areas - it's not as predictable when exactly there will be a fight in TW3 as it is in TW2. They can't design the game with prolonged periods of suspense in mind, because a fight has to start only very few minutes after the player enters a lair (or otherwise is led to expect a fight) if the timers are so short.

Last edited:
Let's break it down for a moment.

You can take up to (say) 3 potions while meditating. After you take them, their effects are on "pause", until you activate them. In this interim, you can re-meditate and take potions D, E and F. In that case, potions A, B and C are gone out of your system. That much is obvious.

Until you activate potions A, B and C, their timer is slowed down significantly (sort of like the slow-mo when you opened the menu in Witcher 2 to choose a sign or throw a knife). It's not that they're forever in your system till the end of days, unless you activate them. But they're in "frozen" state for, say, 3 hours (at least, this is what I'm hoping - a relatively short time frame). Inactive. No boosts. Waiting for orders. Reserves.

Once you decide to activate the potions, their short-life expectancy kicks in. You can't choose to activate just A, B or C, but you activate them all at once. Then their effects are active for, say, 10 minutes or so, like in The Witcher 2; a window that is useful for a fight or two. You can't "re-pause" them once they kick in. It's a "point of no return" - the moment you activate them, they stay active, with their new shortened timer.

What this is meant to encourage from my understanding is, quite simply, using potions, and preparation, both of which require that you study the area you're heading into, and what creatures you're likely to face.

Another point about this system is what @slimgrin said - it seems much more fitting for an open world game, bent on exploration. In such a world, the border between "traveling" and "fighting" is (or should be) blurred. Let's say you enter a forest area. If it were a closed world and linear game (design-wise), you'd know that from the moment you left the city gate and entered between the trees, you're likely to expect a battle pretty soon. This also means that if you were to meditate in the city and use the potions, they'd still be useful once you stepped out.

Not so if it is an open world game. Once you step out of the city to the forest to find your bounty, you have no idea how long it'll be till you meet the monster you're hunting. In my ideal fantasy, my Geralt could be walking slowly through the trees and bushes for 5 minutes before he even picks up a sign of something, let alone an enemy. There aren't definitive stages in your hunt. There's no "level 1, then 2, then 3." There's just a big open forest, that you're meant to explore, and in one playthrough it could take 15 minutes before you find the sasquatch, in your second playthrough it could randomly be 2 minutes.

In such a scenario, having immediate and short-term duration on potions is bad, because:
  • You either waste them, in case you drank while in the city.
  • Or, and this is worst in my opinion, you break the flow of the game, because after 5 minutes of investigating the forest, the game will have to inform you in some way that there's a battle ahead, so you could prepare properly. This is more immersion-breaking than "frozen" potions, and it creates an old-gen and artificial border between "traveling" and "battling" that should go away in next-gen. It butchers the element of surprise.

This is why I think there is merit in this middle-ground: you neither have 10-minutes lasting buffs from Witcher 2, nor 20-hours lasting buffs from Witcher 1. But for this to work, there are a few conditions that I see:
  1. Difficulty. It needs to be crazy-tough, in my opinion. Otherwise, the whole preparation aspect is just decoration that you could easily do without. The difference between researching an area for its monsters, and then researching monsters for their weaknesses, so you can prepare the potions in advance, shouldn't be between "a tough battle" and an "easier battle". It should be the difference between "death" and "a tough battle".
  2. Investigation. It needs to be interesting and challenging, and that each monster's weaknesses and strength are crucial enough to warrant the use of potions, and different ones at that, based on the battle. Due to the (hopefully high) difficulty, I'd like for the preliminary investigation to have to be thorough. Something beyond just reading a book. Or at least, not have that book available in every bookstore.
  3. Potions. CDPR needs to create many potions, which are distinctly different, while all of them are equally useful.

Think about it. If the open world is how I described it and how I'm hoping for, having short-term buffs isn't about "harsh punishments" and "a tough game", it's about rendering the potions pointless, due to the size of the world. They're moot. If they're not essential, they're jut a bonus. If they're just a bonus, the battles aren't inherently challenging. The whole game suffers for it. If you opt for short-lasting buffs, in an open world as I described, you're not creating a "difficult" game, you're creating a "frustrating" game - and the two aren't the same things.
I like idea of this new system like eliharel said and I don't get it why people complain about that metabolism thing even now there are people who can slow down their heart rate so why not witcher- mutant can't hold his blood pressure -hold the elixir that won't spread through the body right away but after some time effect should weaken e.q 1-4min-100% 4-8min-75% 8-10min-50% after that is gone because elixir dissolved within 10 minutes and he can't drink another one because of toxicity . There is also nice potential to level up this ability(lv1=5min, lv2=10min debuffs-5% etc.) or even unlock it first so people won't complain and still have a choice. I'm sorry that my English is bad, I'm still learning :)

That's not the issue that I brought up. What I said was: "you're still left with the gameplay issue of a potion running out too quickly or having an active effect for too long, which the new system is trying to address." This means that you're stuck with either a short or long timer. The short timer is more balanced as it doesn't let you clean out an entire swamp of drowners before your potion runs out but it suffers from, well, being too short sometimes. As I've said in previous posts, you only need to look back to the Draug fight at the end of Chapter 2 of TW2. By the time you reached the boss, your potion effects had worn off - this is precisely what the "holding" mechanic's for, it's there so that you can activate the potion when you actually need it, not waste it while getting there.

So less boring, standard potion use like drinking Swallow because it gives you a nice health regen for 3 hours. Instead, it keeps the unique feel of the mechanic used for potions in TW2 while getting rid of the downside, which often made them utterly useless. It gives each potion purpose - you consumed it because you will only need it for a short amount of time in a very specific situation. If you forget the BS explanation they've given (and hopefully won't use in-game), then you can think of it in a more logical sense. Maybe Geralt's adrenaline makes the potion effects really kick in (i.e. when the player decides it's time to use the potion).
I get what you're saying, then. Yes, in that case you'd have to either risk drinking the potions (which could add to the tension, to find something positive) or try to fight without them. Still, I believe that's kind of an extreme situation, and I don't know in how many we'll actually find ourselves in the game.

Maybe I'll get over it, eventually... I hope.

You expect realism and plausibility from a game mechanic that is about a guy that went through mutations which made him basically a superhuman; a guy that drinks potions that would most probably kill or heavily damage an ordinary human being to furthuer enhance his abilities? Right.
Of course I do. Inserting some very hard to believe elements or mechanics and justifying their presence through explanations such as "he's a mutant" or "it's a fantasy game with elves and sorceresses" or "space magic" is only an indication of the lack of care, or talent, of a developer. Both qualities that CDPR possesses in ample measure, which is why I expect better explanations from them for me to really immerse in their world.

Top Bottom