The Witcher 3 knocks Skyrim off its horse!

+
The Witcher 3 knocks Skyrim off its horse!

Combat is better.
Characters feel more alive.
World atmosphere is so good.
Better horse riding and combat from horse.
Explore world, houses with no loading.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Agree in pretty much all points.

In my opinion the only thing they can improve is the sound of the thunder n stuff. If its stormy it has to BOOM and scare the sht outta me :d

Also it would be awesome if nearby quests will show on the minimap so u dont have to watch on the world map and always run back to the place you came from.

When has Skyrim ever be ON the horse? I mean.. sure, the Modding community is extremely good for Skyrim, and mods are what make Skyrim such a good game, as without them the game isn't that great whatsoever.

However, combat and animations lack terribly so in TES, as do dialogue, quest design, storyline, and the same horrible 6-Man VO cast. TES just offer you this huge game world to explore, but without anything actually interesting. Mods make Skyrim, and so far Witcher 3 has been amazing WITHOUT mods.

Agree strongly.
Agree strongly.
Hmm, I really like both, especially when considering a modded Skyrim. TW3 edges it though, with the fantastic environment and accompanying sound effects.
Agree.
Agree.

I think you are setting the bar extraordinarily low.

Sure, The Witcher 3 seems (from what I've played thus far) better than the ocean of mediocrity that Skyrim was, but I believe CDPR ought to (and I think they actually did) set their sights higher than that.

Half my time with Skyrim was fighting with mod incompatibility, half the time I never got around to it, and when I did I got bored within an hour, or slightly more. Just never enough to keep my interest. Spends months trying to find the best Animation, Combat, Texture, Weapons/Armour, Creature, NPC, Fixes, Quests and further improvements. Even with all that the game was still boring... But hey, that's just me! I know plenty who swear by Skyrim and play NOTHING ELSE.

couple things that skyrim does better:

one map, vs multiple "smaller" ones (err.. well somewhat.. they are still big haha)

once you discovered an area, you can quick travel there just by accessing the map. IMO, they should either have it work this way.. or simply remove quick travel all together.. not a fan of having to go to street posts for quick travel.

yes, these are minor gripes.. but IMO, these are the few things that skyrim does better than witcher 3.

Witcher 3 is actually larger than Skyrim, technically, and FALLOUT 3 is larger then Skyrim as well. Skyrim isn't that huge, believe it or not. Well, it is big, especially with mods, but Witcher 3 is quite massive for what it is. An improved design over what Dragon Age: Inquisition has done with their maps.

Opinions tend to side, as you say, prefer to Quick Travel from anywhere rather then going to a Post. Or just completely remove the option. I personally like this system, even though traveling from just about anywhere is more convenient, the difference between this and Skyrim is that Skyrim's world isn't that interesting.

Opinions are not so surprisingly different on the travel system lol

Skyrim is better in a few key elemnts:

1. The open world might be a lil bigger or smaller, but skyrim had around 150 indoor locations (dungeoen, keeps, forts, caves etc). Even if those were repetitve i didnt mind that much. Its jus ever step you take you find an interesting indoor location.

Tw3 has a huge open land but a fraction of the interesting indoors.

2. Freedom of choice on what an how to play. In skyrim you can be literally anything you want. Male, female, orc, elf, warrior, mage, a mix. Anything.

In tw3 you are very restricted to play like geralt, for obvious reasons. i dont mind being a specific character but you can use any other weapons (these hatches and clubs dont count. They use the same animations as the swords. There is just one weapon type in TW3), no shield or bows and what i really really miss fromt the witcher games is stealth. I really think stealth would have been perfectly right withe the character of geralt. A hunter should know how to stalk his pray or to overcome large groups of bandits be stralthly dispatching them one by one.
Skyrim had evrything. But mediocre quality.

3. Skyrim allowed you to do more. Sleeping in ins, talking to everyone, everyone can be questgivers, making food, etc etc. all these really contributed to the sense of immersion and place.

4. There are a lot of other things skyrim did and even well than tw3 doesnt but the main ones were stated above.

I played skyrim for about 3 years. I am LOVING the witcher 3 a lot but i doubt i will play it for even 6 months from now and THAT is the true test. Even though the witcher does things better, it does less and in the end it will hold me for less time and in the end it will have less of an effect on me.

My opinion about myself only

Literally, if it was a contest between that it would be in the most literal sense because Witcher 3 has horseback combat and Skyrim does not haha!

I think Skyrim is awesome and it added alot to the Future of RPG´s.
But Witchers and TES´s Goals are different, TES never tried to tell epic storys, it´s all about exploring.

Dated game is dated. Skyrim is 4 years old. Hopefully CDPR has set a new standard for Bethesda and Bioware to live up to. I think other game developers will be pulling The Witcher 3 apart and checking under the hood to make their next offering better, which is good for all of us.

Elder Scrolls games are a different breed of game from Witcher games. Sandbox vs Themepark.

I honestly don't understand the hate for Skyrim from some Witcher fans. I guess some have to support their team, and crapping on the competition helps in some way.

That said, Skyrim is generic; just like some folks at CDPR said. Until now, I don't think anyone has made story driven and open world coexist in the way that CDPR has.

As someone who has over 500 hours in Skyrim I think it was awesome. One thing it did way better is the font size. I have no problems reading anything in Skyrim. Hopefully they can fix that and then I can make an informed opinion. So far I played an hour of the Witcher and quit because of eye strain!

TW3 has Skyrim influences all over the place. Without TES there is no Witcher 3, plain and simple. I definetely like TW3(and 2 and 1 for that matter) more, but that is not the point. You can;t really say that Rolling Stones are better than Chuck Berry. Plus the desgin is different. Skyrim paints an eye-candy fairy tale world that i would wanna live in. TW3 paints a decadent, with far stronger real life reflections, world that i would definetely NOT wanna live in.

I really don't understand why everyone wants to compare The Witcher 3 to Skyrim. Dudes, Skyrim was a game we used to play when we were young and easily impressionable. This is why we always think Skyrim was ever good. Have you gone to play it again? (no mods, mods is like you're cheating) Its absolutely garbage. I had about 700+ hours on Skyrim, more time with it modded, and even I had to just shut it off about 1 month ago and say "thank you for your service". The graphics are horrible (mods dont count, again, because if you want to count it, then TW3 will also be able to be modded soon) the fighting is GOD awful, character movement is attrocious (and some of us think TW3 movement is bad). The character development was incredibly BORING. The story was forgettable, the side quests were mediocre. Crafting was passable, I like that you were ACTUALLY able to craft things yourself and level up your crafting (TW3 doesn't). Yeah, all things noted, Skyrim kinda sucks, but we were impressionable then.

Knowing all this, it stands to reason that TW3 SHOULD be better than Skyrim, no doubt about it. (ofcourse you'll still have fanboyism, and thats ok... I still love me some final fantasy 7, and i'd still say thats the best rpg ever but, if we break it down, by todays standards, yeah it sucks too :/) This is why I kinda just laugh when anyone says Skyrim is better , its just one of those "lulz" moments.

At some point or another we have to come to the conclusion that Skyrim's like an elderly man... TW3 is some strong young buck... C'mon dudes, its no longer fun picking on the old guy... You have your championship belt, you've earned it, enjoy the fame :D

Some reason the QUOTE doesn't wanna work for me whatsoever.

Games borrow from each other quite often, but to say without TES there'd be no Witcher 3 is stretching it A LOT my friend. Due to how the series progressed and the age we live in, it was a no brainer that Witcher 3 would be open-world, with, or without any TES inspiration.

Next you'll say MGSV: Phantom Pain is open-world cause of TES... Okay there, buddy.

You mean off it's pony perhaps? Yeah sure... As far as people saying "Skyrim is 4 years old" - so is TW2 and it's infinitely better than Skyrim. Granted I only played vanilla version but I'm guessing even with mods to make it look great, Skyrim's story is still bland and the combat is still dull, no?

Top Bottom