The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - An Open Letter

+
Good choice. This is why I've been a fan of CDPR and The Witcher series from day 1.
You mean it wasn't for the sex scenes? CD Projekt RED will be dissapointed...
:sad:

Both you and I agree that the steam forum is not a good place to go to if you want to remain sane, hahaha :p
Among other things, they don't policed it for trolls. I bet just about every Steam forum has at least one 100 page thread of pure fan rage.

Last edited:
Damn, lazy devs.. ! :p
you still have my full support

Dear diary..

:rly?:
I heard today some news about another delay

:wat:
I was very suprised, when I was reading that

:sad:
then I was said, because it will be another months without W3

:hmm:
but than I was think about it

:listen:
the game will be definitelly better than would be in February

:hai:
so now I am happy

Last edited:
About the poll fellas . It`s not an official poll . It was transferred by mistake from another thread on the forum . Please disregard it and continue with the discussion .

Attachments

• Legenwaitforit.jpg
    Legenwaitforit.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 39
I don't really care if it gets delyed or not. I just think it isn't very professional and it makes them look like amateurs especially when they themselves confirmed there won't be any more delays.

It's better to admit that you were wrong. That deserves respect unlike Biowares "the user is at fault" - attitude, for example.

@Marcin Momot

Well I...well...no I'm okay with it. I am. Besides, I got a bunch of games waiting for me that I haven't had the time to play yet. It won't take me until May to finish them, true, but still.

So take your time devs, and thank you for being so honest about this. I reckon it takes some courage to give these kind of news, but you do it because it's the right thing to do, and in the end you want to make the game the best game you can.

Give my love to the rest of the team, will you? :happy:

Last edited:
Thanks (I am serious, no sarcasm). I dont care if it takes another year to make Witcher 3. I dont care if it releases with "outdated" graphics (or whatever haters come up with). I want TWO things: gameplay and story (and im pretty sure that most of players do as well). So take whatever time you need to make this happen and just please dont make another ME3 ending fail.

At first I was not okay, but I remembered that I had played only enhanced editions of the first two "Witchers". They were great. And I prefer to play a well done game at day one, because I'll play "Wild hunt" at day one, instead of unfinished one or buggy one, or etc. and than to wait for enhanced edition or big patches. It may sound harsh, but I don't want to be angry at a game, that I expect so very much.

I think Rockstar overall makes open world games with good stories and lots of small details. I think Red Faction Guerilla is an open world game with amazing technology that no game has topped. I think Fallout New Vegas is an open world RPG with a lot of content and a good main quest with different ways to go about it (Mods can make the game have very good visuals but that's mods and not official)

I think Just Cause 2 is a big world and that it had very good visuals for how big the world is. Those are some recent games. A lot of the goals you guys mentioned can be or are subjective. Like immersion or a living world. I'm not gonna try to touch on those. Some people find games living and immersive and others don't
With the exception of New Vegas none of the games is an RPG. They are all just linear games. No decision making. No choice and consequence. No different ways to fulfil goals. A whole lot easier in development. And the connection between the story/missions and the sandbox world in all cases is actually pretty weak. It's almost like two different games in one but they are hardly consistent. E.g. in GTA you can go on a killing-spree just for fun, killing dozens of people and wrecking curs and once you're gunned down you just wake out in hostipal and everything's done and forgotten and you're good to go...

New Vegas is another beast? But it's also a pretty static game without offering a lifelike, believable world. And while the individual quests are mostly pretty well done the overall story arc isn't that great. It's suffering from the very same open world with too much freedom approach Skyrim is suffering...

So no, what CDPR wants to achieve with Witcher 3 hasn't been achieved before. Parts of it, yes. But the whole thing in a consitent, flawless way? I can't tell you a single game of the past 10 years that did.

---------- Updated at 10:17 PM ----------

Some publishers could learn a thing or two from CDPRed *stares especially at Ubisoft*
You do know that Watch_Dogs WAS delayed for several months? Even their explanation sounded pretty similar to that one here. Didn't help the game that much though... ;)

Last edited:
I don't really care if it gets delyed or not. I just think it isn't very professional and it makes them look like amateurs especially when they themselves confirmed there won't be any more delays.

The important thing is that they learn from their mistakes.

Frankly the Marketing/PR department have really dropped the ball with TW3. Not to mention it's quite possible now with 2 delays that the "insider" on NeoGAF might have actually been telling the truth, or at least part-truth.

It's their first foray into "true AAA development" and the company has grown by a huge amount just in the last 1-2 years. The Witcher 3 is a massive game and they were probably a bit too ambitious with what they could realistically achieve. Just as long as they use this experience with The Witcher 3 to improve their development and overall PR/Marketing in the future and ensure that when TW3 does come out it's a polished, relatively clean experience which delivers on most or all the promises (Graphically, Gameplay and otherwise). Years down the line people won't even remember TW3's development hiccups or silly statements, CDPR will just be remembered as the company that constantly improved and did the right thing by their consumers, and hopefully that will be the case, if they learn from these mistakes.

New Vegas is another beast? But it's also a pretty static game without offering a lifelike, believable world. And while the individual quests are mostly pretty well done the overall story arc isn't that great. It's suffering from the very same open world with too much freedom approach Skyrim is suffering...

So no, what CDPR wants to achieve with Witcher 3 hasn't been achieved before. Parts of it, yes. But the whole thing in a consitent, flawless way? I can't tell you a single game of the past 10 years that did.

Lets not forget Mass Effect 3 ending (which totally ruined whole universe and 2.9 great games for me)... I really dont want to see fail like this in here....

Now THAT'S what I was talking about CD Project RED. HONESTY.

I don't like to say it but I had a feeling some things were a little off and some questions being unanswered so close to released made me uneasy. But now that it is delayed I am very happy. Seriously, I couldn't care less if I had to wait another 3 months or even half a year.

Just make the best goddamn game the Witcher series has seen. I support you 100%.
Red-Points for everyone who does also support you.

It takes guts to delay a game 2 times and that is what I expect from such an amazing company. Stand to your mistakes or faults, apologize and continue doing awesome work. Just be sure those 12 weeks are enough, a third delay would be a shame.

Also, try to keep spoilers to a minimum in terms of story now, because the previous trailers already showed a lot. Gameplay and showcasing mechanics over story and cinematography now (IMO) in terms of trailers.

Can't wait to see the next Q&A.
And to be honest, it might just be better for my purse too. If the game only comes in May I can be sure to have got the best hardware I can get (for the money I have) by that time so I can enjoy TW3 in all it's glory.

Go CDPR.

if they learn from these mistakes.

Shouldn't they have skipped console games altogether in that case? And stayed in the AA+ development cycle without the business pressures and shenanigans of the mainstream AAA market?

Well, clever people only make failures once. The question is whether you'll ever have the chance to make it better... ;)

The important thing is that they learn from their mistakes.

Frankly the Marketing/PR department have really dropped the ball with TW3. Not to mention it's quite possible now with 2 delays that the "insider" on NeoGAF might have actually been telling the truth, or at least part-truth.

It's their first foray into "true AAA development" and the company has grown by a huge amount just in the last 1-2 years. The Witcher 3 is a massive game and they were probably a bit too ambitious with what they could realistically achieve. Just as long as they use this experience with The Witcher 3 to improve their development and overall PR/Marketing in the future and ensure that when TW3 does come out it's a polished, relatively clean experience which delivers on most or all the promises (Graphically, Gameplay and otherwise). Years down the line people won't even remember TW3's development hiccups or silly statements, CDPR will just be remembered as the company that constantly improved and did the right thing by their consumers, and hopefully that will be the case, if they learn from these mistakes.

If The Witcher 2 wasn't AAA, i don't know what is :)

Hoping your right about about the rest thou. Marketing has been very... strange.

With the exception of New Vegas none of the games is an RPG. They are all just linear games. No decision making. No choice and consequence. No different ways to fulfil goals. A whole lot easier in development. And the connection between the story/missions and the sandbox world in all cases is actually pretty weak. It's almost like two different games in one but they are hardly consistent. E.g. in GTA you can go on a killing-spree just for fun, killing dozens of people and wrecking curs and once you're gunned down you just wake out in hostipal and everything's done and forgotten and you're good to go...

---------- Updated at 10:17 PM ----------

You do know that Watch_Dogs WAS delayed for several months? Even their explanation sounded pretty similar to that one here. Didn't help the game that much though... ;)
You're right it's not been all done in one recently. I was talking individual goals which is what I took your question as. GTA 4 had choices in the story, can't remember about the others story wise. I haven't played them in a few years for the story.

As for your point about Watch_Dogs. Alan wake, Read Dead Redemption, half life 2, Team fortress 2, Mafia 2, Prey, LA noire, and other games have also all had delays or long development times and ended up good in the end.

Top Bottom