The Witcher books (SPOILERS)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, I get what you mean but *I think* there's a passage in one of the last two books where Geralt explains that he can't use signs. LOL, now I remember (I think) it's not that he can't use them without gulping elixirs first, he can't use them cause
he's lost his medallion

What? As far as I know,
witcher's magic abilities don't depend on their medallion at all...

I'm not familiar with the incident, as I haven't read the last couple of books. But is that exposition or dialogue? It wouldn't be unusual for Geralt to SAY he couldn't do something, for some far-fetched reason, when it was really because he didn't want to.

Maybe he's not supposed to be able to use signs without elixirs, but he can because his mother is a sorceress. Vilgefortz said to him that he was likely to have innate abilities.

Maybe he's not supposed to be able to use signs without elixirs, but he can because his mother is a sorceress. Vilgefortz said to him that he was likely to have innate abilities.

Every witcher can use Signs even without elixirs. It's part of their training as well as swordmanship (of course the sword training is much more deep, but still).

I'm a bit confused now. :-

So, I checked this thing about the medallion and I've found something in the 6th book
"Grab them," Bear said impatiently. "Take them outside."
"This is a witcher," said one of the bandits from Nightingale's mining protection company uncertainly. "A dangerous type! How can we grab him with our bare hands? He could hit us with some magic or something..."
"Don't worry." Schirru patted his bag with a smile. "He can't do magic without his witcher's amulet, and I have his amulet. Grab him."
Fact is, that I don't remember if Geralt used signs in the 7th book.

So, I checked this thing about the medallion and I've found something in the 6th book
"This is a witcher," said one of the bandits from Nightingale's mining protection company uncertainly. "A dangerous type! How can we grab him with our bare hands? He could hit us with some magic or something..."
"Don't worry." Schirru patted his bag with a smile. "He can't do magic without his witcher's amulet, and I have his amulet. Grab him."
Fact is, that I don't remember if Geralt used signs in the 7th book.

I don't remember either. But he had a medallion in book 7. Not a Witcher one, but the one that Fringilla Vigo made for him.

@Synvael that guy says that just because he is ignorant and superstitious, like many thugs in the Witcher universe. For example, remember Ostrit, who thought he could stop Geralt's magic with a turtle stone?

Last edited:
I don't remember either. But he had a medallion in book 7. Not a Witcher one, but the one that Fringilla Vigo made for him.
Oh yeah that medallion which...
...saved his witcher ass a couple of times

EDIT:
Thar buy says that just because he is ignorant and superstitious, like many thugs in the Witcher universe. For example, remember Ostrit, who thought he could stop Geralt's magic with a turtle stone?
I don't know if we can make this comparison, but the turtle stone is indeed a useless thing.

Last edited:
That guy says that just because he is ignorant and superstitious, like many thugs in the Witcher universe. For example, remember Ostrit, who thought he could stop Geralt's magic with a turtle stone?

Could indeed be superstition, but I doubt it. Schirru was not common folk. He was one of Vilgefortz's lieutenants. I suppose he would know what he is talking about.

Oh yeah that medallion which...
...saved his witcher ass a couple of times

EDIT:

I don't know if we can make this comparison, but the turtle stone is indeed a useless thing.

Just an example to let you understand that many people who think to know something about witchers, often don't actually know shit, like Ostrit or Schirru. He may be Vilgefortz's lieutenant, but that doesn't mean he's a man of knowledge xD

I actually can't understand why people don't get it: witchers can use Signs without any help from elixirs or medallion, it's part of their training.

Well I just burned my food. That's just great. :sad:
Lunch ruined. Admit it, you are a druid.

:sad:

Just an example to let you understand that many people who think to know something about witchers, often don't actually know shit, like Ostrit or Schirru. He may be Vilgefortz's lieutenant, but that doesn't mean he's a man of knowledge xD
You can say that if you are speaking about Rience, that idiot. LOL

Schirru appeared to be quite smart and cunning in the books. A man that can do his job really well. Vilgefortz would know about the Witcher needing his medallion to perform magic. And I'm sure Schirru would not forget about it, if Vilgefortz told him.

I have to say though, I had not paid any attention to the Witcher Medallion so far. When I read the books again I'll try to look for stuff that gives info on the relation between Signs and Medallion.

Schirru appeared to be quite smart and cunning in the books. A man that can do his job really well. Vilgefortz would know about the Witcher needing his medallion to perform magic. And I'm sure Schirru would not forget about it, if Vilgefortz told him.

I have to say though, I had not paid any attention to the Witcher Medallion so far. When I read the books again I'll try to look for stuff that gives info on the relation between Signs and Medallion.

Well, cunningness is not the same as knowledge, you know XD
Also, spare your energy, there's no relation between Signs and medallion, witchers can cast Sigms because it's part of their training, I don't know how many times I'm saying this XD

Schirru appeared to be quite smart and cunning in the books. A man that can do his job really well. Vilgefortz would know about the Witcher needing his medallion to perform magic. And I'm sure Schirru would not forget about it, if Vilgefortz told him..
Indeed Schirru knew a lot about him:
"Maybe we can communicate?" Geralt ignored the rapidly rising fury inside him. He had decided to play the part for the time being. "Like civilized people?"
The half-elf gave a toxic smile. "Communicate? With you, witcher? I was sent here to kill you, not to communicate with you. Yes, yes, you mutant. You came in here and wove your lies, but I immediately recognized you from the first moment. You've been described to me in detail. Can you guess who has described you so accurately? Who has given me precise instructions on where and in what kind of company I will find you? Oh, I'm sure you can guess."
"Let the girl go."
"But I know you not only from description," continued Schirru, who had no intention of letting Angouleme go. "I've seen you before. I was even on your trail, once. In Temeria. In July. I followed you to the town of Dorian. To the legal offices of Codringher and Fenn. Can you imagine that?"

And Geralt was like: :nuke:

Sigh, what about me? I'm not even having lunch today, just a sandwich... And I'm in training time! It's... it's that I forgot to go shopping food. @Synvael looks like I'm an idiot just like Rience LOL
Go buy a pizza, what kind of italian are you, eh?

:wat:

Last edited:
Indeed Schirru knew a lot about him:
"Maybe we can communicate?" Geralt ignored the rapidly rising fury inside him. He had decided to play the part for the time being. "Like civilized people?"
The half-elf gave a toxic smile. "Communicate? With you, witcher? I was sent here to kill you, not to communicate with you. Yes, yes, you mutant. You came in here and wove your lies, but I immediately recognized you from the first moment. You've been described to me in detail. Can you guess who has described you so accurately? Who has given me precise instructions on where and in what kind of company I will find you? Oh, I'm sure you can guess."
"Let the girl go."
"But I know you not only from description," continued Schirru, who had no intention of letting Angouleme go. "I've seen you before. I was even on your trail, once. In Temeria. In July. I followed you to the town of Dorian. To the legal offices of Codringher and Fenn. Can you imagine that?"

And Geralt was like: :nuke:

He knows Geralt's actions, not what witchers are and what they can do, you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom