The Witcher Online

+
The Witcher Online

I was, and still am very exited for the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and as the developers introduced me to all the features like the massive open world, horses and the way the story works - it sounded a lot like an MMO.

This got me thinking - it would make sense to make an MMO sequel OR a prequel after the trilogy ended. All players could start off at Kaer Morhen when it was in it's fullest glory. (If it was a prequel)

I obviously dont know much about game developing but i think it would work. There wouldnt be much "Oh youre the special one!" when theres a 1000 clones of your character around you. All Witchers started out equal and i think the Witcher universe would be a very good theme for an MMO.

This is my two cents and I hope it could become real one day :)

My inner desire says no. I think it will steer the series into a direction that dilutes its core values : great story, characters and actually affecting the fictional world you exist in.That's the stuff CDPR are masters at.

MMOs don't have these intimate elements.

If someone wants the rights to Witcher MMO they can do it ,but CDPR needs to CDPR.

I was, and still am very exited for the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and as the developers introduced me to all the features like the massive open world, horses and the way the story works - it sounded a lot like an MMO.

Yeah, MMO is the first thing I got out of that description - story driven, single player...obviously MMO material..

-edit

Last edited:
I don't think The Witcher is the right IP for a MMO, but I would like to see CD Projekt try their hand at a MMORPG eventually. The genre has been decaying for about a decade, replacing interactive, persistent virtual worlds with a series of instanced skinner boxes. CDPR is a talented studio with an independent culture that has always listened to player feedback, is on the forefront of PC technology and makes games that have a real sense of adventure. Instead of taking popular design templates and fitting franchises over them, they craft their own gameplay solutions to create a unique experience. That's exactly what the MMO genre needs to make it exciting again and none of the studios making popular MMOs today seem to understand that.

CDPR would have to sacrifice many of their values in order to make a Witcher MMO work. While I enjoy MMOs quite a lot, for me this is a big no no.

This got me thinking - it would make sense to make an MMO sequel OR a prequel after the trilogy ended. All players could start off at Kaer Morhen when it was in it's fullest glory. (If it was a prequel)

I obviously dont know much about game developing but i think it would work. There wouldnt be much "Oh youre the special one!" when theres a 1000 clones of your character around you. All Witchers started out equal and i think the Witcher universe would be a very good theme for an MMO.

This is my two cents and I hope it could become real one day :)

NO NO NO NO and NO....wait did I say NO? What I really meant was NOOOOOOO

Making this game into an online MMO goes against the devs vision for the game. MMOs and online games are always watered down and not as immersive as single player games.

I hope CDPR NEVER consider this as an option.

Attachments

• how-about-no-bear.jpg
    how-about-no-bear.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 93
MMO's are arguably the worst games to create right now. It's ultra expensive, time consuming, risky and compromises have to be made.

Just look at ESO and The Old Republic - massive budget, venerated franchises, years in the making and huge fails.

Isnt it a bit early to say that ESO is huge fail? Im not trying to defend it, I never played it, but still, wasnt ESO released like week ago? :hmm:

Isnt it a bit early to say that ESO is huge fail? Im not trying to defend it, I never played it, but still, wasnt ESO released like week ago? :hmm:
It was just released, but it was in beta very long and most people really disliked it or said it was meh at best. I tried it and couldn't stand it.
Problem is, they didn't change it much from the beta. And the price point is really putting most people off from even trying.

If it doesn't go TOR route - going free to play (or at least monthly-fee free) I would be really suprised.

We only get a handful of MMO requests every year so let's not despair. It's a wretched idea, yes, but it's his idea :)

And no, thanks. TW3 and CP2077 should hopefully be single player games with strong narrative and decision making. There are plenty of other franchises to butcher in the name of level grinding and raiding, so let's leave these two alone.

Here we go again. Witcher mmo was discussed extensively. There is no demand for such thing and it wouldn't have any strengths of witcher franchise.

Your idea sounds interesting but no. What would be interesting if it ever came to be, would be co-op so you can play with two witchers, Like Vesemir & Geralt or w/e. A co-op with story regarding both players, might be really cool.

Dear god, no thanks.

Look at knights of the old republic. You can't even retcon all the shit they've done. Co-op Arena mode, thats it.

Could a moderator have mercy on us all, point out the search function and then lock/merge this topic? Really not interested in dealing with this again, neither the discussion about a Witcher MMO, nor some people's condescending reactions.

Top Bottom