The XP system is a total mess

+
The XP system is a total mess

I'm almost level 23, about to kill a giant. When I kill him right away I get 400XP for the quest and level up (which turns the quest grey). But If I free the dude first which gives a handful XP I ding 23 and then for killing the giant and completing the quest I get a whooping 5 XP. So I must choose between keeping the dude alive or getting a meaningful reward for the quest. This is terrible design for an RPG.

If you really must artificially limit XP, why not make it so it's 10% less for every level Geralt is above the quest or something so it doesn't feel so arbitrary and completely pointless if you level up during a quest?

Tuco

Forum veteran
I personally would have done without a levels and exp system entirely for this game. but let's put that argument aside right now.

Honestly what you are describing is not that much of a big deal as you seem to think.
The system is designed simply to keep you into a certain level range. Do too many side activities and you'll level with them without getting too much exp from quests, and viceversa.

You'll get to level 34-35 anyway by the end of the game, like pretty much anyone else.
A bit like with the old "exp bug", I think people make a big issue out of it just because reading big numbers satisfies that "skinner box" feeling, not because it actually effects the game in any other significant way.

Tuco

Forum veteran
The way XP gets limited is pretty punishing for any playstyle besides rushing the main quest.

I use a mod (PC obviously) that gives same XP at any level.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/119/?

That's essentially a cheat, by the way.
Not saying you should feel bad about it, but let's just call it for what it is.
It's also not going to do the player any favor, since "getting enough exp" in this game isn't really an issue and instead the opposite is true, since you'll start pretty soon to outlevel most of the content.

Ya. I know what it is. No disagreement.

Played through without it the first time.
Everything past level 15 or 20 is pretty easy anyway. The extra handful of levels won't make it that much easier, but it will let me play with some more abilities. Probably still come up short for the highest level requirement swords.

Problem is also with the character system. It's not just the extra abilities (those are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things). Just by leveling up, Geralt grows much stronger relative to the monsters in terms of damage penetration/reduction, so I can see how completely uncapping XP with that mod could trivialize the game pretty soon.

everything should scale, starting a quest => monsters levels, items level rewards, -and exp- will adapt to player level
thats the only way it works wtf i was level 30 and i met some peasant, starting a new quest; nice ? nooo quest is level 21: no exp and shitty reward xD

everything should scale, starting a quest => monsters levels, items level rewards, -and exp- will adapt to player level
thats the only way it works wtf i was level 30 and i met some peasant, starting a new quest; nice ? nooo quest is level 21: no exp and shitty reward xD

Yeah, let's make an RPG for noobs in which everything scale and you can do whatever you want.

I agree, I dislike the XP system, too. That's why I didn't hesitate to take advantage of an XP glitch in order to level up (so I could wear the Nilf. gauntlets).

In my opinion completing a quest should always give a fixed amount of XP because YOU SOLVED A PROBLEM and LEARNED SOMETHING as a witcher.

The fact that you get no XP for quests too far below your level is kind of sad. Some of those low level quests involves a lot of tracking, detective work, talking to people, figuring out the angles etc.

However - Killing monsters below your level should stop giving XP after a certain point and I think this is realistic. You can't learn how to kill a dragon by killing a 10.000 rats.

Yeah, let's make an RPG for noobs in which everything scale and you can do whatever you want.
First of all, it's not for noobs. Second, the main objective of a game is to have fun. How much of a fun you can get after reaching level 20 where everything becomes easy and obsolete ? Not much I'd say. And finally this is an open world rpg, if you want players to keep interested on it you need to keep things interesting. Not everyone plays a open world game just for the main quest line.

First of all, it's not for noobs.

A game in which you can do what you want when you want, and where you can kill all mobs from the start, because mobs scale with you, yes, is a game for noobs.
But just because of the very definition of the word.

Second, the main objective of a game is to have fun. How much of a fun you can get after reaching level 20 where everything becomes easy and obsolete ? Not much I'd say.

Main quest. That is what should keep things interesting. The main quest is the most important thing in an RPG.
And again, in order to have fun you should break the rules of a genre?

So, yeah, let's remove the outside from football, the purpose of a game is to have fun.

Not everyone plays a open world game just for the main quest line.

So...people buy an RPG, but don't play an RPG for the main quest. Yeah.

No, please not! That's what Bethesda makes in their games (Oblivion/Skyrim) and one of the reasons why they are bad RPGs (though you can have much fun with them of course, but not because of their "good leveling-system"!).

A game in which you can do what you want when you want, and where you can kill all mobs from the start, because mobs scale with you, yes, is a game for noobs.

You are completely missing the point. It's not scaling monsters down. It is to scale the monsters who become weak up. Monsters who are high level from start should remain as they are. Also it is completely possible to scale weak monsters status up, not to the point where they would get at the same strengh as Geralt. Just to close the gap a bit, not entirely.

Also if you go only for the main quest line you will likely level up less than a player who explores everything before advancing to the main goal. Meaning monsters will also scale up less, the balance is never lost. The main line is never lost, it will remain there just as is.

Main quest. That is what should keep things interesting. The main quest is the most important thing in an RPG.
And again, in order to have fun you should break the rules of a genre?

So, yeah, let's remove the outside from football, the purpose of a game is to have fun.

So...people buy an RPG, but don't play an RPG for the main quest. Yeah.

Im sory dude, but if you buy and OPEN WORLD RPG just for the main quest... you don't know what an RPG is. Might as well just make the game linear (like Witcher 2) with your line of thought. I would even agree upon what you said if the difficult is the easy or normal modes. Harder modes however should have you take a more completionist style (making a LOT of side quests) just to have enough power to tackle the main quest.

Let me try to explain it better. You start the game at level 1. Then you already have all monsters in their respective levels. That doesn't change.

Now let's take a level 3 monsters. Once you reach level 4, all level 3 monsters will receive some sort of status boost. Once you outlevel any monsters they will always receive some extra points to their statuses so they don't become completely weak. Of course that won't apply for status points you receive from equipment. You will always have an edge no matter what. All you need is an script with an accurate formula to distribute points for monsters, but in a way to keep everything a bit more balanced. It's not meant to overpower weak monsters.

Then when you reach level 5, those same weaker monsters will keep scaling up. All you need is a balanced formula.

Last edited:
If you play on Deathmarch the whole game should be as hard as if you start game (on deathmarch) and play in white orchard location.
This was the only place where I was afraid of dying. If I saw pack of wolfs I just tried to avoid it at all cost because at 1 lvl it was just suicide.
After that, game is so f... easy. The "hardest" difficulty is just joke in this game.

If you play on Deathmarch the whole game should be as hard as if you start game (on deathmarch) and play in white orchard location.
This was the only place where I was afraid of dying. If I saw pack of wolfs I just tried to avoid it at all cost because at 1 lvl it was just suicide.
After that, game is so f... easy. The "hardest" difficulty is just joke in this game.

Exactly. That happens because of the stats you get from better armors and swords. It's likely possible to make the game more balanced wearing crappy equipment, but that sort of spoils the whole thing. Have to make it yourself and restraining yourself from wearing other things is not so good.

No, please not! That's what Bethesda makes in their games (Oblivion/Skyrim) and one of the reasons why they are bad RPGs (though you can have much fun with them of course, but not because of their "good leveling-system"!).

Oblivion bad game ? Are you serious ? (i guess no :p)
Soon you will also tell me games like fallout 3 &vegas, dragon age origins, or whatever top game working on linear exp progression are bad heh

I think witcher 3 had some delay pressure for its release, and such 'hard level' mapping is one of the sequels... When i got a new pointer with a new quest and i have to scroll the whole map to finally find it in some corner instead of directly getting a focus on it.... I realize it just the game that wasnt finished in time (didnt said the game is bad, is very good)

sure lets make an RPG for real pros where you get quest 10 levels inferiors than your, giving 5 exp and a relic sword to sell since useless !

Last edited:
Top Bottom