Toxicity level discrepancy

+

iCake

Forum veteran
Toxicity level discrepancy

Hello there and good day to you.

So I've recently decided to try out some alchemy skills and so far I'm loving them. Very useful. Anyway, I maxed out "acquired tolerance" and when examining my character stats I see that my maximum toxicity is 244. The thing is with fully developed "hightended tolerance" I'm able to consume 3 decoctions at the same time and not die. That's perfectly fine, but here's where the discrepancy comes in place.

Granted I'm under effect of 3 decoctions simultaneously, I expect to have the toxicity of 240/244 (as all decoctions poison you for 80 points). The thing is I still can drink one additional potion (like Swallow, Thunderbolt etc), but I should not be able to, because by simple math I have only 4 toxicity points left. Furthemore, when I'm trying to use a second additional potion right after I've used, say, thunderbolt (25 toxicity points), the game notifies me that I can't because my current toxicity is at 234/244.

By doing a basic calculation of 234-25, I understand that 3 decoctions only sum up for 219 toxicty points whilst they shoud for 240. The only other aclhemy skill I have active is "Synergy".

So, where do these 21 points come from? Or more precisely, where do they get lost? Is this a glitch, or there is something I don't know of?

Thanks ahead of time.

Decoctions give 70 points regardless of what they say. :D

Looks like they do you as well, since 234-25 is actually 209, which is actually 210 but since toxicity starts falling instantly it shows up as 209.

You get 70 * 3 = 210, use a tbolt = 235, tox starts falling so when you try to use another it shows 234/244.

You can even demonstrate it without skills - take everything off, drink one decoction and one swallow, and notice that your total is now 90 rather than 100. (game will say 89 or possibly 88 if you arent fast enough)

The description of decoctions are wrong. They use 70 toxicity points each, not 80, except one decoction with longer duration time (basilisk if I remember correctly) which uses 50 toxicity.

iCake

Forum veteran
Thank you guys. Now it all makes sense.

Btw, is there anything that is not wrong in this game (and with my math of 234-25)?:stoptrolling:

I'm also curious, which decoctions you guys can recommend. So far I use Foglet, Echidna and Ancient Leshen ones. Hell they're great, especially the last two. No more eating for me and energy regenerates in an eye-blink.

One more thing, does anyone know where to find a superior cursed oil, since it's the only one I'm missing (got it in one of my previous playtroughs but can't remember where exactly)

Last edited:
BTW, if you get also general skill for additional 30 toxicity you can use 4 decoctions, 3x70 + 50. Also one tip, if you're using decoctions and you don't have any toxicity left for potions it's good to unequip Acquired Tolerance and you keep decoctions active. Then toxicity says 210/100 if you try to use potion :D

Noonwright against monsters with charge attack is my favorite. Eliminates knock back effect. Succubus is great for longer fights and tough enemies. Water hag if you're able to keep your HP at max.

Most superior oils recipes are random. I'm still missing draconid, beast and one more.

iCake

Forum veteran
@Trzebiat

Thanks again, but I have to disagree with you on the notion that most superior oils are random, in fact I just can say where you can find both superior draconoid and beast oil 100%.

The draconoid oil is in a cave north east from the temple isle of Novigrad. Another good marker is the sign post named "Cavern". So go there and enter the cave. You'll find a golem there, dispacth of it and procceed further down the cave, you'll bump into an illusion there, dispell it and go yet further down the cave. There you'll find an "aardable" pile of rock blocking access yet to another chamber of the cave and in that chamber you'll find the superior draconoid oil. Btw, the cave I'm talking about has one of the feline diagrams in it.

The superior beast oil is in the Crow's perch, go to the master armorer there and face the road that leads to the exit of the "fortress". Now go to the houses on the right side of the road (just sortly off the armorers) and you'll see some stairs leading behind the building. Climb the stairs and at the end of it jump on a V-shape roof on your left, cross the roof and you'll see yet another staircase, turn left on it and go up untill you reach the peak of it. There you can see a crumbled wall and you can jump and climb in there. In that enclosed room you'll find the beasty oil.

One more thing, is there any way to get rid of the "sickly" face you get when overdosed with potions? I mean it seems to jump back in forth from "poisoned" to "normal" face randomly in cutscenes.

Last edited:
@iCake thanks for the locations, I'll check them in NG+ but I'm 100% sure in vanilla game I checked those places and didn't find the recipes. I cleared the whole map. I'll check when I get home and let you know. I always forget the third oil I'm missing.

About the overdose face maybe there's a mod on PC, but I'm on PS4.

iCake

Forum veteran
@Trzebiat

Trust me, they're there. The draconoid one is very easy to miss as that pile of rock I mentioned doesn't glow yellow in the witcher sense mode. You have to spot it yourself, luckily there is a very "subtle" hint for you there as the whole wall is painted with aard symbols in there.

One more thing, is there any way to get rid of the "sickly" face you get when overdosed with potions? I mean it seems to jump back in forth from "poisoned" to "normal" face randomly in cutscenes.

there is a mod in The Witcher 3 Nexus website to remove the toxic face.

Perhaps I should have clarified that I'm playing on Xbox One, so I was looking for a way (more a trick) in the vanilla game.

Thank you guys. Now it all makes sense.

Btw, is there anything that is not wrong in this game (and with my math of 234-25)?:stoptrolling:

I'm also curious, which decoctions you guys can recommend. So far I use Foglet, Echidna and Ancient Leshen ones. Hell they're great, especially the last two. No more eating for me and energy regenerates in an eye-blink.

One more thing, does anyone know where to find a superior cursed oil, since it's the only one I'm missing (got it in one of my previous playtroughs but can't remember where exactly)

Werewolf decotion (no stamina used outside of battle). Then you can run across the map full speed non-stop.
Archgriffin decotion (if you have stamina you will take 10% of the enemies) Very useful.
Arachas decotion (less weight in your inventory means less damage taken). So if you use the feline (and learn cat school techniques) and you store everything else in the storage chest you will take very little damage.

I use these all the time. Plus I added "greater glyph of Igni" to every single slot in the feline gear so Igni is super powerful. With quen also boosed all the way up you are close to unstoppable.

Btw this is what my mutagen-tree looks like.
Cat school techniques
All the Igni upgrades, but not the alternate mode (firestream).
All the quen upgrades, but not the alternate mode (shield mode)
Delution fully upgraded
Metabolism
Trial of the grasses fully upgraded
Survival instinct
(+ 500 vitality)
I dont really remember the rest, but Im pretty sure I did a few of the fast attacks (red)

Its working really good and Ive had no problems in NG+ at all with that setup.

Last edited:
Are you saying... I could use THREE decoctions while I limit myself to two all the time?! Mind=blown. :teeth:

@M4xw0lf
You need to remember that when you reach 75% of max toxicity you're starting to lose vitality due to overdose and that happens with 3 decoction. When using 3 decoctions it's best to have also Heightened Tolerance to increase overdose threshold to 100% (no vitality loss). Or have Ednure Pain skill to get extra 50% of vitality but then you need to regenerate health manually or use decoction which regenerate it.

---------- Updated at 02:35 PM ----------

@iCake thanks for the locations, I'll check them in NG+ but I'm 100% sure in vanilla game I checked those places and didn't find the recipes. I cleared the whole map. I'll check when I get home and let you know. I always forget the third oil I'm missing.
@iCake
I checked the third superior oil I'm missing and it looks like it's the same as you, cursed oil.

@iCake
Not yet, I'm still on Skellige and haven't explored Novigrad or most of Velen yet, I'm doing quests in a specific not usual order, I just need to finish one bigger side quest and grab all witcher gear diagrams and I'm back on continent. But I'll check them later today and will let you know.

@WolvenGear

Thanks for the tip on the noonwraith decoction. This one is going to be one of my favorites as well. It's a funny thing though, I thought the chort decoction would be the one that eliminates stagger, but it doesn't seem to work at all.

As for your build - nice one! However, I think you have some wasted skills activated there, most notably are Survival Instinct, Melt Armor and Quen Dischage.

Survival instinct is because the benefits of it are too slim, compared to "Tissue Transmatation". If you max out that one you'll get 1000 hp for each decoction you have consumed. The only reason I see to choose "Survival Instinct" is that it only requires one point to spend.

Melt Armor... While the description of it sounds tempting, the benefits of it are next to nothing. I've been testing it thoroughly and I can say it's only good against the Wild Hunt and only when their armor gets covered in ice. Yet again, when facing wild hunt warriors you can just swap "Melt Armor" with "Pyromaniac", as they don't burn anyway.

Quen discharge, it deals too little damage to your foes. I've also been testing it and I can say the best I could get is deflect about 1200 back at bandits. I can easily deal much more than that with my sword or with "Igni".

All of the above is just my subjective opinion of course.

If you're interested in my build, check out what's under the spoiler below.

So far my build is this:

Delusion maxed out - for obvious reasons
Synergy maxed out - to compensate for mutagen bonus loss when stretching out for abilities from all the three skill trees.
Active quen shield - mostly as a contingency back-up plan, use regular quen most often.

Igni intensity - to burn the hell out of enemies more effectively
Hightened tolerance - for obvious reasons.
Pyromaniac - to burn the hell out of enemies who're more than 5 levels higher than I am.

Rend - to slice through rediculously overpowered block. IMO, a must have for any witcher.
Griffin school training - to up stamina regen and sign intensity
Crushing blows - it has a good synergy with rend.

Precise blows - to get better crit chance and better damage from critical hits with fast attacks.
Acquired tolerance - to make the best of potions and decoctions
Razor focus - to compensate for low adrenaline gain and make yet better use of 'Rend"

I'm also looking at "Delayed Recovery" so that my potions never expire so long as I have my 3 decoctions active. Imagine having "Thunderbolt" active at all times - 100% crit chance all the time. I'll substitute Precise Blows" for this.

The other skill I'll get is "Fast Metobolism" so that I can apply potions that'll never expire due to "Delayed recovery" faster. If anything, I'll only use this skill when drinking decoctions and applying potions:pride:

Last edited:
I'm also looking at "Delayed Recovery" so that my potions never expire so long as I have my 3 decoctions active. Imagine having "Thunderbolt" active at all times - 100% crit chance all the time. I'll substitute Precise Blows" for this.
I had the same dream... Unfortunately it doesn't work like that, it would be too perfect. Just 3 decoctions and you're always above 70% so effects would never (like 30-50 minutes) wear off but Delayed Recovery uses only toxicity from potions which prevents using decoctions. You need to stay above 70% of max toxicity and all that toxicity must be from potions only. Also Fast Metabolism works against Delayed Recovery, but it's great for using decoctions.

@WolvenGear @iCake
If you're posting builds, maybe we could move to appropriate thread and revive it a little bit? http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/38985-Character-Builds-Ability-Points-How-to-Kick-Ass-Thread

Top Bottom