Trait stat point about sexual orientation?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you use an upgrade for it? Something like this would be a free, limited-use stat point available from the beginning of the game.

I mean, I seriously doubt they'll be able to implant sexual preference...

I don't think it would ever be an upgradeable stat (what would that even entail?). If it were to happen it would be part of your backstory.

As for whether it should be part of the game at all- I can see the augments on both sides, and there's merit to each.

However, i think that it should simply be the players' choice throughout the game. V starts the game as a nobody, so no-one is going to know your proclivities at the start of the game. If an NPC hits on you, it's up to you to decide whether you're into them or not. Likewise, if you hit on an NPC, it's up to the AI how they want to respond.

The game could track this. If you engage with female NPCs, for example the male NPCs will start to notice this and become more likely to leave you alone. If you turn everyone down, the NPCs will decide you're asexual or monogamous and show a lot less interest in you. That being said, it's not a fixed thing, and future choices could result in different responses down the line.

V waking up with a man in her bed needs to be a player choice. You might prefer a woman, the one, or no-one. If that scene is at the start of the game, then there should be a short pre-amble beforehand where this choice is made. This could be in the game like the train ride in Half-Life, or a mad-libs version of a Star Wars intro.

Pretty sure that's not how the game actually begins. I'm fairly certain that the demo only featured that scene to show the audience that this is a mature game. If I had to guess, I'd say that the sexual encounter V (male/female) had the night before was a choice. V could have easily picked a male one night stand partner there. And even if it is a forced F/M or M/F encounter then I'm sure there will be mods to fix that with some other female or male npc model.
I just read about the Demo in gamescom, they played with the male "V" and he woke up with a man in his bed, confirmed that it was a choice.. I'm happy :love:
I did not want to be bisexual forced (like Fallout 4) :ROFLMAO:

sorry my english

It's only gay if the augmentations touch. Be who you wanna be with no pigeon holing.

Which reminds me, can you romance synth animals?

Personally, when it comes to relationships in games, I like it when devs go one of two routes.

First, established character orientation.
Meaning that NPC's are straight or gay or bi or whatever, and that's basically hard coded as part of their character. I don't mean that they have to be a stereotype. In fact, I'm very much against that, especially when games make the gay character "the gay guy" and that's basically their entire defining trait. Because that's stupid and lazy writing, and just bad game design. Being gay is an orientation, not a defining quality. Being brave, or clever, or cowardly, or self serving, those are character traits. Their sexuality is just something extra that determines who can romance them.
And I want to see those relationships actually matter, and have an impact. Not just be the "token romance option" that plays out over a couple of scripted cutscenes and then seems to cease to exist (or gets relegated to the "kiss when home" option). If you're in a relationship with someone, things change. How you act with each other and others will change. Doesn't have to be a huge change, but there would be more emotion involved in a lot of situations than most games usually put in.
It has the limitation of forcing the player to play as something specific to get access to various relationships, but each one is generally going to be better defined and more in depth, as there's actual character development worked into it. You could then have NPC's with more backstory available when it comes to past relationships (maybe their ex's are even still around).

The other option I find acceptable is the "hero-sexual" characters. Where the characters orientation is based on the player's actions. So if you have a male NPC, and a male character flirts with them, they're now gay or bi (whatever the player wants to think). If the player's female and flirts, they're now straight or bi. It's not really explored outside of the relationship the player builds with them because it doesn't really have any impact. Basically it makes every character a romance option, so the player can just pick whatever character they would like to be with (as opposed to the first option where the player would have to play something specific to see various romance options).

I wouldn't want a 'Trait' or 'Button' for my character orientation . If there is anything in the game about it , it should be under V profile .

As for most romance , I'm pro-player sexual . Kiss whoever you want , sleep with whoever you want .

As a lesbian , I usually get the short stick lol the one I like..is Hetero . The number of my romance is always 1-2 (if I'm lucky) , often it's zero .

It's steam punk world right ? if swearing and shooting peoples in the face can go , so why not sleeping around ? if we can upgrade our hands to have these weird big claw and crawl on wall...why not sleep with whoever you want ? .

I like playersexual , not because I get a harem lol but because I get all the options just like everyone else . And I know some peoples think that 'Playersexual' mean tamed or wateredown romance , and dialogues . That it cheapen it .
I think its all up to the skill of the writer , I believe the 'playersexual' can feel that way when the writer is lazy . I also believe you can make characters playersexual without making them feel cheap .

Cyberpunk so far look solid . If the romance are playersexual , I don't think it be an issue .

I like playersexual , not because I get a harem lol but because I get all the options just like everyone else . And I know some peoples think that 'Playersexual' mean tamed or wateredown romance , and dialogues . That it cheapen it .
I think its all up to the skill of the writer , I believe the 'playersexual' can feel that way when the writer is lazy . I also believe you can make characters playersexual without making them feel cheap .
I agree. I think that good writing more than makes up for the "fluidity" of hero-sexual characters.
It's nice to have well defined characters (orientation included), but sometimes you come across a character that you didn't know was an option and find out they're not compatible with the gender you took, and that can be disappointing. A lot of the time I admit I won't play through a whole game again just to see the romance options, as in most games they're far too short and unimportant in the grand scheme. Which is disappointing.

I just read about the Demo in gamescom, they played with the male "V" and he woke up with a man in his bed, confirmed that it was a choice.. I'm happy :love:
I did not want to be bisexual forced (like Fallout 4):ROFLMAO:

sorry my english

No one was forced to be anything in Fallout. Who you had sex with, or not, was entirely your decision.

I think things like sexuality should come purely from gameplay with choices you make there.

Who knows what you might encounter further in the game, maybe you've been playing a straight female character, but then you run into some woman that's just awesome making you want a romance there, but since you locked in straight at character creation, you're locked in. Maybe you started as a gay male, but all the romantic options are complete tools and now you're regretting that you can't get with the awesome rocker chick since she's the only interesting option you've come across. Some games, though I don't think CDPR would necessarily do this, basically give you a companion based on a choice like this at character creation, and you're basically stuck with that one companion, and you might really not like that companion.

I could see an option to select for certain background choices, for instance in the gameplay video there's a reference in character creation to "ex-lover" in one the background options. Sure, should be allowed to choose the sex of the ex-lover, but it would be less about selecting "straight, gay, bi" explicitly, just implicitly. Who knows maybe the ex-lover was experimental and you don't really identify yourself that way so much.

I would hope, and expect, I get to choose. Seeing the gameplay trailer, with the scene where V wakes up after sex, I wouldn't want my female V to wake up with a dude. I would want it to be a female, or none at all. Seeing as this V will be my character, rather than Geralt in Witcher who was very much an already established character.

I long ago figured out the "best" people with non-traditional sexual preferences are the ones that don't act stereotypically. No lisping, no swishing, no whatever. They act like ... people ... the only way you find out their preferences is if you ask or some innocuous comment (some girls and oogling a guy and a male they're with also comments about him).

True, I do have a bunch of gays friends, only a really few are really "feminine" in some cliché ways, but for most, if they'd never told you they were gay, you'd actually never even thought about that.

Anyway, it's a videogame where you'll be a mercenary.
Doing a dirty job, getting drunk at the afterlife and ending with a prostitute is part of the "roleplay" of a shaddy mercenary, but I doubt they'll develop the sexuality much, beside the basics, It's a mainstream videogame in which sex isn't the key point, not SexVilla Simulator 2020 (where which it would be maybe more logical to spend time developping an in depth sexual RP).
Here, beside getting someone to fuck with, maybe have a bit of romance including random-related-events, like the death of your loved one, having him/her kidnapped by a gang/corpo or having a baby or a nasty STD, I don't see why they'd push the thing further while they do have some mega-building complexs to fill with details and life.

Don't expect anything fancy from that side of the game IMO.
It's a part of the game, but far from being the main goal of it, it's a feature at best (used from W3, with a bit of funnier stuff added on, most likely)

Last edited:
Just have the dialogue options there in game so we can decide on what we want to say and do based on the situation and person. While I can appreciate having a bisexual character for example, I wouldn't want my options to be pre-determined and limited from the start. Maybe I'll only act bi for a certain character that I come to like, why would I be shoehorned to act like that all the time towards everybody?

Well it could influence cut scenes, but even if a decision is made to exclude it having an effect on the game, just the fact you can choose it as a part of your character creation process could simply ad immensely to pples immersion, in game identity and likeability.

I would really like to know clearly how CDProjekt intend to treat sexual orientations in-game. Knowing that poland restaurants can refuse to serve homosexual / trans and disabled people, and that laws and government are really late on the subject, I think it would be a great if a company like CDPR used Cyberpunk 2077 to show the world that gay / lesbians / lgbt and everybody have a place in our world, as much as in Nigh City's world, by allowing players to chose whether they want to seduce same sex npcs or opposite sex npcs. Freedom, even illusional, is one of the best things in RPGs, and it would make everybody to let us the choice.

I always play a male character in rpgs because i want to get immersed
and if i have the option to choose i would pick straight because....i am, but if you can romance keanu this could be a tough decision this time.Im pretty sure im not alone😆

I would really like to know clearly how CDProjekt intend to treat sexual orientations in-game.
It's pretty clear from the interviews. To quote myself from the Everything We've Heard So Far About Cyberpunk 2077 thread:

ROMANCE
Keeping a Soul in our New Machines is about more than just talking though. Even in the world of Cyberpunk, relationships matter a lot. They are easier to have in some ways, and in the same time harder to cultivate. It's important to makes characters feel genuine, natural, and real ... so CDPR is paying a great deal of attention to characters in the story and the bonds that can be formed with them, as characters are the main pillars of the plot. The game does not treat romances as something stat-based that you need to level up to unlock. Rather it is a narrative situation where who V is and how she interacts with the NPCs determines whether they like her or not.

Some NPCs can form long-lasting romances with V under the right circumstances, and some NPCs can be seduced (or can seduce V into) into one night stands. Romances will be similar to the Witcher 3, but with more diversity. There are a lot more options. You're defining your own character here, which means defining V's sexuality the way you want ... it's up to you to decide.

The same is true for NPCs, who each have there own romantic preferences That means an NPCs sexual orientation (i.e gay, straight, bisexual) will determine if they can develop interest in V. Additionally, players will meet lots of characters with their own goals, motivations and needs. Sometimes those goals align with what V is trying to achieve and, depending on the player's decisions, it may spark interest on the side of the NPC. Side characters won't fall for V in every scenario though. When something is not right, they may choose friendship over a romantic relationship.

EDIT: Also, kudos on successfully casting necromancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom