Triss Merigold (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it supposed to be? Is it stated somewhere in the book, that Geralt's feelings are a constant value and nothing can change them? Remember how he was disappointed with Yen when he decided that it was she who had betrayed him and had told Vilgefortz where he had been?

---------- Updated at 12:00 PM ----------

Oh, then you should certainly mistrust Yen, because there are much more things she hides from him, both in the books and in games.

Defnitely I agree with you.

I just can't bring myself to trust yen, then again it seems no one can and she only shares when cornered or untill the very last moment or if she is discovered what her plans are. The attitude, mistrust and treatment not only to Geralt but also the perception from other NPC about her are enough for me send her away and be free of her for good.

Not once did I heard anyone say aaaanything good about yen something that if I don't know her it would make me consider "wow! Geralt is trully lucky to have her" nope. I can not rely on the past because many things have changed and people evolved and yet yen has been mistrustful with everyone, if only she would've show more trust or care from the beginning then I might've consider her since I didn't knew her but now? nope.

As for Triss I'm glad of what they've presented and what I've heard from the books and what I've heard form Doug Cockle's interview. At least I've seen far more better arguments in favor of Triss. I like that...

She wasn't an active member of Lodge, she haven't voice in meetings, because Phillipa and Sila stopped to invire her, because they new she will try to stop them, she reveals it at the end of TW2 and in TW2 she was not using my Geralt and my Geralt trust Triss.
All this is just casuistry. Triss says "I'm the member of the lodge". And also confess that lodge were using her to feed Geralt false info. Instead of telling truth she chose to hide her membership and feed him what lodge wanted even if she didn't know it was lie. She has her own reasons for this and I don't blame her, she wasn't trying to make things worse. But I can't trust her... I must say that this is also because of books knowledge. I'm not trying to say that she is bad. She tries to help Geralt but is doing the same mistakes. Only in Wild Hunt she is on the right path. She always would be a good friend for Geralt and I think he forgives her everything. She is one of his friends and he has lost a lot of them in his life to abandon one more :(

---------- Updated at 12:20 PM ----------

Not once did I heard anyone say aaaanything good about yen something that if I don't know her it would make me consider "wow! Geralt is trully lucky to have her" nope. I can not rely on the past because many things have changed and people evolved and yet yen has been mistrustful with everyone, if only she would've show more trust or care from the beginning then I might've consider her since I didn't knew her but now? nope.
try to look for specific topic on the forum if you want to hear good things about this woman :D

:disgust::blegh:

It's kind of stupid the amount of times this "Not Book-Lore friendly" argument has come up. The games give you an option to romance Triss instead of Yen, if you play Geralt as a book-lore orientated character who is whipped furiously by Yen, that's your choice. But, please don't come to the Triss section and keep yabbering on about the same arguement of who's the true love of Geralt. It's a tediously endless cycle of quotes and hearsay, which I've read far too many times. If you feel like you're adding something new opening this little argument up again, you're more likely just repeating similar things we've all read for months. It is rather boring, just agree to disagree and move on. Yen's a good romance choice and Triss is a good romance choice aswell, pick your preference and discuss some strengths of both not just the weaknesses from books which are not conveyed exactly into the game series.

:threaten:
(And do it elsewhere.)

Back on Topic, Triss.
:faith:

Where would you personally feel Triss could play a greater role in the Witcher 3's story? I find it hard to imagine her role outside of Novigrad and Kaer Morhen... Perhaps some input into Skellige? It did feel like the "emptiest" of the three areas per se.

Last edited:
Where would you personally feel Triss could play a greater role in the Witcher 3's story? I find it hard to imagine her role outside of Novigrad and Kaer Morhen... Perhaps some input into Skellige? It did feel like the "emptiest" of the three areas per se.

Honestly i don't think we will see her in Skellige, because Skellige is for Yen what Novigrad is for Triss. The stories are almost ''detached'', and i see it really difficult to find a place for Triss there,as you said.

IMO third act is the place where it's more likely to see the tweaks.

:disgust::blegh:

It's kind of stupid the amount of times this "Not Book-Lore friendly" argument has come up. The games give you an option to romance Triss instead of Yen, if you play Geralt as a book-lore orientated character who is whipped furiously by Yen, that's your choice. But, please don't come to the Triss section and keep yabbering on about the same arguement of who's the true love of Geralt. It's a tediously endless cycle of quotes and hearsay, which I've read far too many times.

You may want to rethink this viewpoint.
If the repetition of comments is to stop, we may as well just lock the thread....

I think it's good to remind a recent statement by Sardukhar on another thread about books vs games:

'' NO ONE is required to read any books to post here, especially about content in a game they are playing.

Their opinion about that game is absolutely, 100% as valid as anyone who has read the books. ''

So as long as books or games aren't used as an excuse to prevail over the others, all opinions are valid.

Last edited:
@Tyrvarar I don't have any problem with discussing who is true love for Geralt or Triss is good for Geralt ?. My problem is some people completely discard Triss romance and don't think it is a valid choice, or it shouldn't present in-game at all :(

Well, we have to accept their opinion and move on.
I don't see Yen as a valid choice for my Geralt,for example, because i don't like her character at all.
But i will not try to convince others about that.
For me is Triss... or Triss. :D

@tyv ar I don't have any problem with discussing who is true love for Geralt or Triss is good for Geralt ?. My problem is some people completely discard Triss romance and don't think it is a valid choice, or it shouldn't present in-game at all
That is certainly not my POV. I'm not against Triss romance option in the games. For people who haven't read the books it's would be a huge disappointment if there wasn't Triss romance path in the last game :(

Speaking of something interesting I knew some people didn't play W2 because of forced Triss scenes at the start. I haven't believed in this but one day I've seen post about this. I think it was from a girl who said that she didn't play second game because of the very first scene with naked Triss in the game :( Do you think dev's should make second option for the Geralt in the second game? So than Triss romance for some people wasn't been so forced....

Honestly i don't think we will see her in Skellige, because Skellige is for Yen what Novigrad is for Triss. The stories are almost ''detached'', and i see it really difficult to find a place for Triss there,as you said.

IMO third act is the place where it's more likely to see the tweaks.

Aye, I see your point on that. Act three would be a great spot, it's also where I first encountered the infamous Triss, "Well?" issue.

I'd like to see Vizima as an explorable location in the future, that would be a great place to see some of our nearest and dearest return.

@tyv ar I don't have any problem with discussing who is true love for Geralt or Triss is good for Geralt ?. My problem is some people completely discard Triss romance and don't think it is a valid choice, or it shouldn't present in-game at all

Yes, as much as I disagree with their opinion. They are entitled to it, but this should not become the Yen vs. Triss thread, people should save that conversation for the topic which is specifically tailored for it. I prefer Triss to Yen, hence why I sit in the Triss forums and am not overly interested why the books say my decision is wrong in the games. So, I'll just avoid those topics.

Speaking of something interesting I knew some people didn't play W2 because of forced Triss scenes at the start. I haven't believed in this but one day I've seen post about this. I think it was from a girl who said that she didn't play second game because of the very first scene with naked Triss in the game Do you think dev's should make second option for the Geralt in the second game? So than Triss romance for some people wasn't been so forced....

Interesting, never thought of that.

Though I suppose you can instead of seeing Triss as a forced romance, it can be viewed as just casual sex between Geralt and Triss. Then you can proceed to avoid further romantic involvement within the second game. It would be a little late to add a second intro now the sights are focused on the third installment.

Though, Triss the sweet sorceress will be my Geralt's bed buddy and loving partner 'til the end of his days.

Last edited:
Do you think dev's should make second option for the Geralt in the second game? So than Triss romance for some people wasn't been so forced....

Definatly they should have done this !
I was really surprised that there is no choice here - especially for the people who've chosen Shani.
I would have been very annoyed if I'd chose Shani. The fact that I like Triss and that I will always choose her (and yes, I've read the books) doesn't change a thing about this point of view.

Edit : And yes, I can imagine that there are people who didn't want to play TW2 because of the forced Triss scene and lack of Shani.

Last edited:
Interesting, never thought of that.

Though I suppose you can instead of seeing Triss as a forced romance, it can be viewed as just casual sex between Geralt and Triss. Then you can proceed to avoid further romantic involvement within the second game. It would be a little late to add a second intro now the sights are focused on the third installment.

Though, Triss the sweet sorceress will be my Geralt's bed buddy and loving partner 'til the end of his days.
Me too. But try to think about people who for some reason don't like Triss 0_o it's a reall problem for them... also it's RPG but you have no choice here :(

---------- Updated at 01:12 PM ----------

Edit : And yes, I can imagine that there are people who didn't want to play TW2 because of the forced Triss scene and lack of Shani.
Though wasn't problem for me :) It's still a great game. And only a game so there is no need to be so radical... but.

Me too. But try to think about people who for some reason don't like Triss 0_o it's a reall problem for them... also it's RPG but you have no choice here :(

To be fair that like a shovel to face of Shani team. In W2 you only have two choices: romance Triss or not, it basically a build up for their relationship in W3. Not that i am complaint :devil:

Well but like @Tyrvar you have a choice to push Triss away right after prologue and look like Shani coming back soon ;)

---------- Updated at 01:12 PM ----------

Though wasn't problem for me :) It's still a great game. And only a game so there is no need to be so radical... but.

I can imagine this was/is a problem, not one I've had, but nevertheless a problem. I really hope people can grit their teeth through that part if it bothers them and give Triss a chance or at least to experience the game, W2 is fantastic.

If it helps the Shani fans, we Triss fans also have the same trouble within W3. 6months after Loc Muine and all the romance scenes of the second installment, we're spawned post-break up going on a road trip with Vesemir to find our other ex- lover. All the romance options have between games have hardships it seems!

If it helps the Shani fans, we Triss fans also have the same trouble within W3. 6months after Loc Muine and all the romance scenes of the second installment, we're spawned post-break up going on a road trip with Vesemir to find our other ex- lover. All the romance options have between games have hardships it seems!

But it's not the same.Triss romance has inconsistencies,but you can still romance her.Shani's romance on the other hand was completely ignored in TW2.Overall,out of all romance options Triss still has the best treatment.

But it's not the same.Triss romance has inconsistencies,but you can still romance her.Shani's romance on the other hand was completely ignored in TW2.Overall,out of all romance options Triss still has the best treatment.

It was a long shot, but I tried to make the best of a bad situation. ;)

Perhaps she does for the first and second games leading to in order of treatment...
Triss>Yen>Shani=Ves over the entire series.

Though, Triss is admittedly sidelined for Yen in the third game for reasons of the main storyline and to give Yen a proper chance to compete with already established game characters.

Definatly they should have done this !
I was really surprised that there is no choice here - especially for the people who've chosen Shani.
I would have been very annoyed if I'd chose Shani. The fact that I like Triss and that I will always choose her (and yes, I've read the books) doesn't change a thing about this point of view.

I don't think TW2 approach was ideal. They certainly navigated the approach of forced offscreen merger of romance paths better in TW3, though that maybe because Triss was a character with a status that they weren't able to ditch in the same way. I've accepted Triss forced breakup as an unpleasant but necessary game feature to set up TW3 & am just focused on the announced fixes that will hopefully iron out the inconsistencies in the Triss romance compared to the Yen path. Hopefully Shani fans will get rewarded in the coming first expansion.

I don't think TW2 approach was ideal. They certainly navigated the approach of forced offscreen merger of romance paths better in TW3, though that maybe because Triss was a character with a status that they weren't able to ditch in the same way. I've accepted Triss forced breakup as an unpleasant but necessary game feature to set up TW3 & am just focused on the announced fixes that will hopefully iron out the inconsistencies in the Triss romance compared to the Yen path. Hopefully Shani fans will get rewarded in the coming first expansion.

Yes in some way, the forced breakup made me like Triss even more and i'm sure that small fixes in the right places can do a real difference. The Reds are great on that.

I felt bad for Shani lovers after TW1, and i'm really glad they will see Shani again. I'm curious to see her too, even from another point of view. Can't wait for the fixes and expansions to come out. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom