Trouble playing this game

+
Trouble playing this game

I'm having some difficulties with TW2 that I can't recall having had with TW1 concerning finding things and understanding what it is that Geralt now knows but I (the player) don't. Looking for some advice on how to approach this in general.

Example is Nekker contract (I decided to do some routine Witcher work before doing much else). First I wanted to buy the necessary books. I spent hours carefully looking at every house and stall in Flotasam to no avail. Eventually in frustration I looked it up and went to the house to look for the signs that it was the book shop that I thought I must have missed but I could find nothing outside this house to indicate what it was. Note I have a policy of never breaking into houses unless I have a specific reason to do so and I don't steal from random people, I hate this aspect of RPGs. How does the game indicate it is a bookshop? What have I missed?

Next I cleared the nekker cave and learned I needed to destroy their nests. I spent more hours searching this cave, trying to grapeshot various features, arduously searching for a jump down icon over a ledge to a lower level that in fact does not appear to be accessible. I did this because the way the journal entry is written there is nothing to indicate that Geralt expects the nests to be somewhere else other than in this cave. Eventually, thinking the problem must be that I was missing some aspect of the game mechanics necessary for this task, I had to look this up too.

Obviously I'm getting fed up with this, and I would like to know how the game actually indicates, provides a clue, that Geralt needs to look elsewhere for these nests so I can try to infer this sort of thing on future quests without looking things up all the time.

I can understand your frustration.

Hopefully such things can be improved in W3. If you get a contract for clearing out a particular type of monster or dangerous creature from an area, it should include a description of the problem and the known habitats for the creatures in question (Caves and forests when it comes to Nekkers).

I see no reason why Geralt should be required to acquire knowledge on creatures that he already know of.

I'm sorry, but wow. Witcher 2 improved on the general accessibility of the quests significantly from the first game. I literally spent half the time alt+tabbing to check Witcher wiki to see if I'm missing out on something, what I'm doing wrong etc. Despite that, I still missed out on content ! :S

If you're finding problems playing Witcher 2, I don't know what to say. I loved the fact that everything you need to know about quests can be found in books, journal and talking to other people. No more alt+tabbing!! Wooohoo! Make an effort to play the game as it's meant to be played, then come back and cry. Read the journal, read the books, talk to everyone. And how the hell can you be having problems finding the book shop :S It's right across from the smithy!

I will give you this though, finding the nekker holes can be difficult but nothing compared to the mysterious and cryptic nature of Witcher 1 quests. They're not located in the cave but rather in the forest. Once you come to a mini clearing where there's a lot of blood, then you know you've found it. Spam your medallion for added help.

Again, the nekker quest gave me trouble the first time I played as well. Didn't know you needed bombs for example to blow them up. But compared to Witcher... Well, I'm not complaining. The first Witcher game was a god damn fucking disaster. Still love it but it was just a chore to play sometimes.

Agree on most accounts with OP.

Just a note: you don't have to read books to get the monster info. Kill enough of a certain kind of monster, and Geralt will automatically learn stuff about it.

When entering a new area try exploring, you don't have to nick owt just have a shufty around and you're golden. I've done this in every rpg i've played for years and it's always served me well, course with a lot of the modern ones you don't really need to because everything's lit up with big golden moron marks, still helps me get into the mood.

Blothulfur said:
When entering a new area try exploring, you don't have to nick owt just have a shufty around and you're golden. I've done this in every rpg i've played for years and it's always served me well, course with a lot of the modern ones you don't really need to because everything's lit up with big golden moron marks, still helps me get into the mood.

Yep, so have I also for years. I've recently rebelled against this common game design principle, by drawing the line against walking into random private residences uninvited without specific reason, invitation or lead unless playing a character with criminal tendencies, chaotic in old money, in the hope that game designers will accept that civilized people do not do this and remove routine loot/info gathering via this systematic breaking and entering activity from the RPG genre and placing such behavior firmly in the criminal sphere under threat of detection, trial and imprisonment and/or mortal retaliation.

Gregorovitch said:
Yep, so have I also for years. I've recently rebelled against this common game design principle, by drawing the line against walking into random private residences uninvited without specific reason, invitation or lead unless playing a character with criminal tendencies, chaotic in old money, in the hope that game designers will accept that civilized people do not do this and remove routine loot/info gathering via this systematic breaking and entering activity from the RPG genre and placing such behavior firmly in the criminal sphere under threat of detection, trial and imprisonment and/or mortal retaliation.

Agreed. My Geralt never steals from common folks or people in general. And he does not trespass without a good reason.

This issue is on my list on how W3 could be improved
http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29744-the-witcher-3-wishlist/page__st__340__p__877259#entry877259

I'll explore but never steal, you could try using the markers on the map though which show all the nearby merchants and crafters, such as Gausel et al. With Gausel it's useful as well because he on ocassion visits the worker of material for his breakfast and lunch etcetera.

Blothulfur said:
I'll explore but never steal, you could try using the markers on the map though which show all the nearby merchants and crafters, such as Gausel et al. With Gausel it's useful as well because he on ocassion visits the worker of material for his breakfast and lunch etcetera.

Yeah, but there's no marker for the book shop is there? You have to actually walk into the house that looks from the outside like any other private residence.

Well no but most businesses in medieval times would be run from home, I admit that signs would be a good idea like in the first game, but if you wish to justify entering to yourself the map does show Einar (or whomever) in the house. Thus giving you reason to enter, and partake of their services.

A system of asking for directions from characters might be nice for the Witcher 3, if we're in a small town where the locals know everybody as a neighbour, thus not bothering with signs.

Nearly everything the OP needs to know is explained in the journal.

- The fact that he needs to either read books to research monsters, or just kill them.

- The habitat of specific monsters once he reads about them. I personally never thought to start bombing caves for the nests - the books tell you where they are. And it ain't caves.

- Monster weaknesses and tactics to kill them are in the journal too. Compared to some old school games, CDPR is practically hand holding here. Again, all you have to do is peruse the journal.

The one valid point the OP has is no sign for the book seller. I'll give you that. But really, whatever happened to just exploring and trial and error?

slimgrin said:
Nearly everything the OP needs to know is explained in the journal.

- The habitat of specific monsters once he reads about them. I personally never thought to start bombing caves for the nests - the books tell you where they are. And it ain't caves.

What the journal says is:

"Geralt learned that the local nekkers used a system of underground tunnels to move about. He thought that if he could find and destroy these tunnels most of the nekkers would be buried alive. Those remaining would then likely scatter making it easier to exterminate them".

That entry is IMO misleading since it speaks of tunnels, not nests or forest floors, and in in the nekker caves where one is most likely to receive this entry there is a system of tunnels visible that answers the description but is in fact inaccessible and irrelevant. I cannot see how one might infer one should be looking for nests located on a forest floor from this entry.

Looking at the journal again, I see that the separate entry under monsters/nekkers speaks of forests and of both forest animals and humans giving the nests a wide berth etc. I accept that this is information is suggestive of where these nests actually are, and that you have helped me considerably since I now know to pay close attention to
additional info in supplemental journal tags and take the quest entry write ups with a pinch of salt.

Exploration is absolutely fine by me, the point I'm making is quite specific to trepass or breaking and entering into private residences without good reason as a matter of course which has been part of RPG play since Fallout really and essential to complete Baldur's Gate 1 (although not, interestingly, Baldur's Gate 2). I think that the practice of having to systematically enter every house in a village or town in order to find all the quests, important NPCs or information is wrong and in Geralt's case out of character.

Isn't the bookstore in Flotsam indicated with a "merchant" symbol on the map? So yeah, there is no sign outside, but if you look at the map you can tell that that particular house is different from others and there's a shop inside. That's at least how I found it - I didn't break into each and every house, just like you.

As has already been mentioned, you do NOT need to explore private houses in TW2 if you don't want to. If you explore the forests (a public area), you would have got all of the information needed to complete the Nekker Contract, without needing to set foot in a single private house. You don't need to visit Einar, but if you did decide to do so, there is another quest that both identifies Einar and tell you where his business is. (It's bugged, but that's a separate issue).

There's a limit on how much the game holds your hand. Exploring is necessary, and it's often difficult to complete a quest if you still haven't explored the public and public-access areas on the map, and spoken to NPCs. Random trespassing is not required.

I've never been in a house in TW2 except where it's been clearly identified as a commercial building, or where I've gone in for a specific and identified purpose (to speak to or kill the owner, or to search an identified building for something specific).

Edit:

gregski said:
Isn't the bookstore in Flotsam indicated with a "merchant" symbol on the map? So yeah, there is no sign outside, but if you look at the map you can tell that that particular house is different from others and there's a shop inside. That's at least how I found it - I didn't break into each and every house, just like you.

Yes, you're right. I just went and checked the maps, and there's a "shop" marker over the bookstore.

dragonbird said:
Yes, you're right. I just went and checked the maps, and there's a "shop" marker over the bookstore.

It isn't marked as a shop or anything else on my map, even though I've already bought some books from him. Perhaps it only becomes so after the quest you mentioned gets activated.

Gregorovitch said:
It isn't marked as a shop or anything else on my map, even though I've already bought some books from him. Perhaps it only becomes so after the quest you mentioned gets activated.

Do you have a screen of your map maybe? I don't know what's up with it, but all the shops are definitely marked from the beginning of the chapter/area. The view might sometimes be cluttered with icons if the map is too close up, but the marker should be there.

gregski said:
Do you have a screen of your map maybe? I don't know what's up with it, but all the shops are definitely marked from the beginning of the chapter/area. The view might sometimes be cluttered with icons if the map is too close up, but the marker should be there.

I can't see how to get a screen shot of it - PrintScreen doesn't seem to do anything. Interestingly my current save is around midnight and the trader in the town square (name beginning with F) is not marked on the map either. If I meditate to dawn his marker appears when hew opens for business so i guess these markers are dynamic based on whether or not the trader is actually trading at that time. Also the incense trader doesn't have a marker on my map, at any time.

I'm wondering if this is related to the Einar bug that came in on EE? The wiki shows it on the map, and they probably took it from an early version of the game. I've just checked three of my own saves from EE Chapter 1, at the start, middle and end, and it doesn't show.

So, maybe the OP has some justification regarding the difficulty in finding this book, but my interpretation is that it's a bug rather than game design, connected to the fact that it can be a total PITA to find Einar since EE came out.

The other answer, that you can find out everything you need about the nekkers, including the nest locations, by exploring in public areas, still applies. There's nothing essential to quests in houses that you don't have a legitimate reason to visit, and you should never need to enter houses at random.

dragonbird said:
I'm wondering if this is related to the Einar bug that came in on EE? The wiki shows it on the map, and they probably took it from an early version of the game. I've just checked three of my own saves from EE Chapter 1, at the start, middle and end, and it doesn't show.

Yes I am playing EE and fair enough, if this is a bug then I am reassured - I can live with isolated bugs that can be got round.

However I still hold that the Nekker Contract journal entry I quoted up page is misleading.

Top Bottom