Two Playthroughs, 230 hours later, The PWSD is real.

+
Two Playthroughs, 230 hours later, The PWSD is real.

This is the best game ever made. Simple as that. From the bottom of my heart, CDP, thank you. At the same, curse you, because you may very well have ruined video games for me. I'm taking a break from TW3 for now because I don't want to become burnt-out. At the same time, everything else seems bleak., I don't want to play anything else. I can't think about anything else. I've even had a few dreams about the game! I realize that there will probably be no game as great as this one for a long time. CD Projekt has set a new precedent for quality. Years ago, the common discussion for RPGs was gameplay vs. story and that one often had to be sacrificed for the sake of the other. Another topic was story vs. content, and it was believed that you couldn't deliver an enjoyable story-based game, like say Mass Effect or TW2, while offering the same amount of content and level of freedom as say Elder Scrolls or Fallout. Dragon Age Inquisition tried to achieve this, but fell short. Because a lot of people (including myself) thought that much of the content was hollow or uninteresting. It was still an enjoyable game, but I felt it's quality was a bit distilled.

Though I should admit my bias. I consider myself a pretty big fan. I played TW2 several times, and have read The Last Wish. When I found out that many more of them are getting translated into English, I decided that I will start reading the rest. I'm the guy who was super-hyped for this game. I'm the guy who told all his friends about it, said it was going to be the greatest game ever, and even tried making them play TW2 or at least teach the about the Witcherverse. Almost every expectation I had was met or exceeded. I haven't had as much fun since TES 5. My experience was a bit unique, because when I played through the game the first time, I ended up getting what I think is the worst possible ending. Radovid controlled the North, I got the bad main ending, and worst of all Geralt was alone at the end. I felt so empty after playing it for the first time. So I took a break for a couple days, then hopped back in for a second playthrough of the game where I redeemed myself.

What can I say about the game? Combat is great: challenging, thrilling, and rewarding. The soundtrack is amazing, memorable, and it suits the Witcher perfectly. It is one of the most beautiful games I have played, and the world feels believable, authentic, and alive. The narrative/storytelling is gripping and interesting. On top of it all. you definitely get a bang for your buck.

This isn't to say the game is perfect. It has many flaws, and I do have some genuine criticisms about the game. My friends who own the game don't share these because most are new to the franchise. I only join a forum when I'm very passionate about something. And I'm glad I did, because it seems a lot of people here share the same grievances. The main three are that

1) The Triss romance was butchered. The game seems very biased towards Yen from a gameplay standpoint.
2) The Witcher 2 choices are essentially rendered meaningless.
3) I was disappointed by the lack of the Wild Hunt's presence. I thought we'd be confronting them throughout the entire game, not just mainly near the end. I thought Eredin would've dispatched his riders to try and get rid of Geralt while he was pursuing Ciri. There also wasn't that much interaction with the Wild Hunt, which I was particularly disappointed by. Not only that, but the game, being an entry point for many players, doesn't really put that much effort into explaining the Wild Hunt, its generals, their history, or their motivations. As somebody else said, they seem like these simple thugs that just use fog/frost special effects and badass Halloween armor to make themselves look scary.

I'm really hoping CDPR will amend these in an EE or through the expansions. Which I really hope that the expansions are tied to the Main Quest, and not just a pair of unrelated, glorified mega-side quests. But I also adore this company so much that I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that these aspects of the game weren't done as well because of constraints on resources and time. And I'm willing to forgive them, because the rest of the game, everything really, is done so well that shines bright enough to hide its blemishes and imperfections.

In conclusion, 10/10, the best game I have ever played, IMO everybody should play this game. Thank you, CDPR, for everything.

What are your thoughts on the game?

I have largely the same opinion. I played TW1 and whilst the story was excellent I really did have to force myself to forgive the engine for the very basic combat. TW2 nearly melted my graphics card a few times and I had to play it on bare-minimum settings but I still really enjoyed it. Once I got a new graphics card I wanted to go through it again but TW3 was right around the corner I actually didn't.

Yes there are issues with the game right now but I can easily forgive them due to the sheer amount of fun I am having and yes, I am really going to struggle to play any other RPG afterwards.

I have not finished the game yet but where I am I am still finding a very heavy push towards Yen but I can understand that from a lore point of view. Triss has been around a lot longer and is definitely my choice for my first play-through at least so I am resisting Yen (so far!).

Best RPG ever!

I haven't been able to play any other rpg's because this just puts them all to shame. But I am still rocking cities skylines and anno 2070 (soon to be 2505!!!!!). Totally different types of games so at least Witcher didn't kill gaming for me period haha.

I've still to complete the game, but on my second playthrough though. Really taking my time with this, doing everything and going everywhere. And while I agree that this game is a titan, I find that I don't really have problems playing games in other genres, but I have no desire to play other RPG's because this game just puts them to shame.

He's skipping a bunch of stuff obviously. If you do everything (main, secondary, contracts) a single playthrough will be well over 200+ hours. I have never understood people saying I beat the game 2-5 times as if bragging when they haven't even played the whole game yet. Completing the main story alone is not beating the game. That is completing a story. Completing EVERYTHING in the game that is beating the game and the guy above probably hasn't even done that once yet.

It's funny seeing all these people saying The Witcher 3 ruined other games for them. I've been feeling that way since I played The Witcher 1. And the combat in that game isn't nearly as good it is in The Witcher 3.

dude how you manage 2 in 230?, my first was over that and i still had about 80 POI left in skell

Please, tell me more, I'm genuinely curious how you logged that many hours into the game. My first was about 110, and the other was about 120. I'm a completionist by all means. I discovered virtually every POI except for the ones in the water in Skellige, because the majority are Smuggler's Cache's or Spoils of War, and at that point money wasn't an issue.

However, on my next playthrough I' plan on not using fast travel and disabling the mini-map.

---------- Updated at 08:38 PM ----------

I've still to complete the game, but on my second playthrough though. Really taking my time with this, doing everything and going everywhere. And while I agree that this game is a titan, I find that I don't really have problems playing games in other genres, but I have no desire to play other RPG's because this game just puts them to shame.

That's what I mean. Well, right now I'm playing through GTA 5 again to get the rest of the trophies and I'm really bleh about it. Of course I've gotten sick of this game at the current point in time but still, three times I decided to just watch Mad Men on Netflix instead.

My first playthrough was right about 100 hours and I did everything other than the poi's in the water for skellige as well... Not quite sure what would make it take much more than that because I tried to avoid fast travel as much as possible and I played plenty of hours of gwent haha

He's skipping a bunch of stuff obviously. If you do everything (main, secondary, contracts) a single playthrough will be well over 200+ hours. I have never understood people saying I beat the game 2-5 times as if bragging when they haven't even played the whole game yet. Completing the main story alone is not beating the game. That is completing a story. Completing EVERYTHING in the game that is beating the game and the guy above probably hasn't even done that once yet.

Please tell me what I'm skipping. I'm a completionist. I more or less explored every POI, did as many side quests as possible, completed all the monster contracts, I'm was only missing two trophies by the end of my first playthrough. The only thing I haven't done is spent hours sailing around Skellige exploring the water POIs. By the time I finished the game, it said I had 5 days playing time. 5 Days = 120 hours.

The only way I can see somebody having a +200 hour playthrough is if they didn't use fast travel, died a lot, explored every single POI, and left the game on a lot when they weren't playing.

I second your OP, grievences included. TW1 pretty much killed all other games for me. I loved that so much I even took my laptop on holiday so I could replay it while my misses was getting ready to go out (which genreally gave me at least an hour a couple of times a day, lol).

TW3 is the only game I have ever preordered - on the first day it was possible to do so.

Despite all the technical issues and a couple of dislikes I have, TW3 is amazing. I love the size of the world and the freedom to just wander around. I've found many things not on the map at all just by going for a walk, ride or sail and I've emptied every cache in the sea around Skellige just to stretch the game out as long as I can. There are some great swords and armour in those!

I've no idea how far I am from finishing my first play through, probably not far though. I thought it was going to end last night. I deliberately avoid finding out too much outside of the game. When it's done, I'll start again with a different outlook on witcher life.

Yeah, my only real disappointment is the lack of romance with Triss (so far, I doubt there is much more chance for any). Well, that and the lack of sex and nudity in general. I decided early on that I didn't like Yen any more, and wanted my redheaded lover back.

Love this game!!!

Not sure how many hours I've put in, guess somewhere between 2-300 and I've not finished the main quest in either playthroughs. Started a new game when I was around lvl 24 or so first time playing, because I felt then that I've learned how to play it proper. Just arrived in Skellige now and I know I'll have around 100 hours there all in all. I almost never fast travel, done so about 5 times in total since I started playing, because I really feel that fast traveling takes away from my enjoyment and immersion in the game. Just really love this game, even when it gets a little tiring (from playing to much mostly) I still rather take a break than start rushing it because I really like playing it like I'm in the world.

I even walk most places in towns, rather than run for example. Actually mostly walk around all areas that are new or I haven't explored properly. Did that with the cannibal area and saw a whole story there with no quests connected to them. Was amazing to walk through that and try to work out what had happened to all those people.

True. Best game EVER made, just finished my first playthrough ( 95 hrs) but I am waiting with the second until there will be some expansion released, in the meantime I've just come back to The Witcher 2 after three years and I am enjoing it even if after W3 some things in W2 are really annoying (for example Geralt can't jump).

Please tell me what I'm skipping. I'm a completionist. I more or less explored every POI, did as many side quests as possible, completed all the monster contracts, I'm was only missing two trophies by the end of my first playthrough. The only thing I haven't done is spent hours sailing around Skellige exploring the water POIs. By the time I finished the game, it said I had 5 days playing time. 5 Days = 120 hours.

The only way I can see somebody having a +200 hour playthrough is if they didn't use fast travel, died a lot, explored every single POI, and left the game on a lot when they weren't playing.

the devs themselves have stated a completetionist playthrough is 200, it don't think you're intentionally skipping anything as you seem quite sincere but it's pretty clear you're missing something.

the devs themselves have stated a completetionist playthrough is 200, it don't think you're intentionally skipping anything as you seem quite sincere but it's pretty clear you're missing something.

the devs stated that it took "some people" 200 hr to complete. By my estimation a real completionist playthrough without playing around would takes 140- 150 hrs. 200 hrs means you like to invent challenges for your self. you wander for fun a lor. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just the reality is that you don't need 200 to complete everything unless youre stargazing a lot :p

I did 2 playthroughs with extensive side questing and Gwentin (1st playthrough) riding and fist fighting (2nd playthrough) . Each one took me approximately 100 hrs each

Kind of hard for me to know what you are missing without actually seeing your game. The devs have said 200-300. In one quote, "One of those numbers is 200 hours, which senior game designer Damien Monnier says includes doing everything the game has to offer." Others have said more.

Myself I have 200 in atm completed main story, sides, all horse races, all fists of fury and contracts.....still have left gwent quests and some skellige points in the ocean. I did a little gwent in that 200 and that can take some time cause you may have to replay some of the guys a time or two.

I am on my second playthrough.
First playthrough was about 120 hours and I literally did every single quest except 3-4 that I missed because they are localized events and aren't obvious/don't happen until you literally walk up on them.
Like the vampire in novigrad sewers.
Thats a complete playthrough with all gwent/racing/fist fighting/treasure hunts/secondary quests.
Every place of power, but I did not hit every single PoI.
About 90% Novigrad/Velen and 50% Skellige.
Best estimate, that would have taken 2-4 hours max.
Second play through I am at about 80 hours in and pretty well on par to finish everything at about 100 hours.

It's alot less time consuming when you know how to fight, what potions/armor/skills/decoctions to use and don't have to wander around with witcher senses active through 90% of the quests.

Skill order and leveling is optimized as well as crafting and looting.
Once you break 10k crowns, you can stop looting bullshit.
So much faster then.

Top Bottom