Vista - Crashing problem

+
Mobidoy said:
Seeing all the problem of other players, lots of them turn out to be the same thing....... Vista and Nvidia !!! The problem could come from directx 10 tho.If you can, try to install xp on another partition and dual boot. Try the witcher in xp and see if it works !!! Good luck !
Great advise LOL, go out and buy a copy of Xp to play the game or buy another video card??? How about fixing the freaking game????

Try this to stop the game from crashing.Open the Command prompt as Administrator in Vista(Start > All Programs > Accessories > right click Command Prompt > Choose run as Administrator)Enter [ BCDEDIT /set IncreaseUserVa 2800 ]Restart the computer and start Witcher.Good luck everybody!

I will refresh a bit what can be tried and worked for a lot of the players here... * Control Panel -> User Accounts -> * Turn User Account Control On or Off. * Untick the box which say: 'Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer'. * reboot And From the Windows command line: BCDEDIT /set IncreaseUserVa 2800Then you must reboot your computer. And Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> disk drives -> double click on your(s) hard drive ->policies -> Remove check for Enable Write Caching on the disk. right click on your shortcut, go to properties, compatibility, put a check to disable theme.... Do the same thing for Witcher.exe found in c:\program files\the witcher\system\

I also have been getting problems nvidia 8800gts but my box doesn't want to reboot it seems to crash mostly when autosaving is activated or when going through doors and such also have vista 32. I am in vizima trade court the big part of the city and its crashing all the time getting frustrating.

Well I hope this can help i got this right when the last crash happened. WinVista 32 8800GTS Nvidia. 3 gigs of ram with ready boost 4 gig flash drive and 2.66 E6700 pentium dual core.Log Name: ApplicationSource: Application ErrorDate: 12/31/2007 6:15:43 PMEvent ID: 1000Task Category: (100)Level: ErrorKeywords: ClassicUser: N/AComputer: Description:Faulting application witcher.exe, version 1.2.0.1160, time stamp 0x4762d224, faulting module MSVCR80.dll, version 8.0.50727.762, time stamp 0x45712238, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0001507a, process id 0xcfc, application start time 0x01c84c10fca81c4e.Event Xml: 1000 2 100 0x80000000000000 32727 Application Jon-PC witcher.exe 1.2.0.1160 4762d224 MSVCR80.dll 8.0.50727.762 45712238 c0000005 0001507a cfc 01c84c10fca81c4e

Mobidoy said:
Create a Dxdiag log and a report save as HTML using this tool System Information for WindowsExplain your problem and put your nickPut all that in an email and send it to the adress in my signature !
is it necessary? i meet the recommended and then some im pretty sure, then its just the vista crashing issues

It's necessary if you want him to be able to give you any type of educated guess as to what the problem may be. You haven't even posted system specs, so surely if you want help, you need to give some more info.I for one, running Vista x64, played the game from October until Patch 1.2 came out without a single crash. So why everyone wants to automatically blame Vista is beyond me.

Faulting application witcher.EXE, version 1.2.0.1160, time stamp 0x4762d224, faulting module MSVCR80.dll, version 8.0.50727.762, time stamp 0x45712238, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0001507a, process id 0xc98, application start time 0x01c84c24086d33a9.Access violation in the game, ending totals to be 1.5GB of ram usage, common issue with DX10 emulation of DX9.Should be fixed in 10.1 The error 0xC0000005 is generated by an illegal "memory access violation". This can be caused by anything from faulty RAM, an incorrect/corrupt device driver, poorly written/updated software and more commonly under Windows XP Service pack 2, malware/adware installations.Far more interesting is this:Description:Faulting application UAWEA.exe, version 1.0.1.20882, time stamp 0x4733b099, faulting module UAWEA.exe, version 1.0.1.20882, time stamp 0x4733b099, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0061325c, process id 0x12fc, application start time 0x01c84bddac85088c.At first I figured my RAM was takin' a crap, but I ran mem test and the Vista meory tester... this issue is related to how DX10 handles legacy code...Far more interesting is this:I was working with C++ and got a simular error with custom crusors and before Either game crashes my crusors are corrupted, anyone else with this issue watch for corruption.

Typifire said:
It's necessary if you want him to be able to give you any typeof educated guess as to what the problem amy be. You haven't even posted system specs, so surely if you want help, you need to give some more info.I for one, running Vista x64, played the game from October until Patch 1.2 came out without a single crash. So why everyone wants to automatically blame Vista is beyond me.
wrong, i have posted them in my thread

Before I start moaning about crashes, I must just say that The Witcher is one of the best RPG's I have played in a long time. The atmosphere and storyline are truly excellent! I'm really enjoying the experience so much that I felt it important to add my problems to the others in this thread in the hope it might help the dev's to solve the instability issues in a future patch.I'm having the same problem with my game locking up during zoning/saving/loading. It has become more frequent since the latest patch. I have both Windows Vista 64bit and XP 32bit, and the same problems on each OS. XP crashes even more frequently than Vista. I am up to date with all drivers and the Vista hotfix.My rig has been extremely stable in both Vista and XP since I built it. This is the 1st time I have had really frequent and serious crashes (I consider any software crash that requires a non-proper windows shutdown serious).I recently added the game to ALchemy in Vista after reading http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3160.0 about setting up EAX, and had a few sound-loop lock-ups as well as some ear-splitting high pitch tones when meditating, so disabled it again.Turning down AA and AF also helped for a few hours the other night in Vista, but before long the old crashes became frequent again, and ALWAYS when zoning/loading/saving. I've not had any crashes when in combat or walking about the game world. I appreciate that many people think this is a nVidia driver problem with Vista and DX10, but it's also happening in XP with DX9.System:Windows XP (32Bit) & Windows Vista Premium (64Bit)Intel Core 2 6400 CPU2 GB Corsair TwinX RAMGeForce 8800GTS (640MB) with the latest ForcewareSB X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro with latest drivers0.5 TB SATA II RAID (AHCI)SATA DVD/+RWI hope this helps :)Herb

Elroth said:
Hi I think that The Witcher game can be run through Windows XP compatibility even if you Windows Vista. The following may help with the crashing problems so READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY:1. Find the The Witcher directory (where you installed the game). Go to: My Computer, (C:) Drive, Program files, The Witcher.2. You will see a icon labelled "launcher". Right click on that icon and sellect "Properties"3. A box should come up with 6 different tabs, select "Compatibility"4. You should now see "Compatibilty mode", Tick the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" Then select Windows XP (Service Pack 2)5. Click "apply"I just realized about this myself and I had the same crashing issues before. Theres no guarentee that this may work becuase i havent tested it myself yet, but if it does be sure to send me some thanks eh?Always trust a kiwi to fix your problem
Appreciate the help but it doesn't work.I even ran it in administrative mode but no luck.I remember Bioshock having this same issue and running it in administrative mode fixed it....but not here. Shame too.....spent 50 bucks on this game and I feel like i just waisted 50 bucks.

i had crashes at my highest resolution (1680x1050); Vista 32; 500gbhd; 4 gbram; but when I reduced resolution to 1280x1024 i have no more crashes - FYI

mike- said:
mike- said:
It's necessary if you want him to be able to give you any typeof educated guess as to what the problem amy be. You haven't even posted system specs, so surely if you want help, you need to give some more info.I for one, running Vista x64, played the game from October until Patch 1.2 came out without a single crash. So why everyone wants to automatically blame Vista is beyond me.
Download the utility and run it, create the report then have a look at it, you will see be surprised at how many information i can get with it, those help me alot more into finding the little bugger that can cause your problem...
mike- said:
mike- said:
Hi I think that The Witcher game can be run through Windows XP compatibility even if you Windows Vista. The following may help with the crashing problems so READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY:1. Find the The Witcher directory (where you installed the game). Go to: My Computer, (C:) Drive, Program files, The Witcher.2. You will see a icon labelled "launcher". Right click on that icon and sellect "Properties"3. A box should come up with 6 different tabs, select "Compatibility"4. You should now see "Compatibilty mode", Tick the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" Then select Windows XP (Service Pack 2)5. Click "apply"I just realized about this myself and I had the same crashing issues before. Theres no guarentee that this may work becuase i havent tested it myself yet, but if it does be sure to send me some thanks eh?Always trust a kiwi to fix your problem
Appreciate the help but it doesn't work.I even ran it in administrative mode but no luck.I remember Bioshock having this same issue and running it in administrative mode fixed it....but not here. Shame too.....spent 50 bucks on this game and I feel like i just waisted 50 bucks.
Create a Dxdiag log and a report save as HTML using this tool System Information for WindowsExplain your problem and put your nickPut all that in an email and send it to the adress in my signature !

mike- said:
mike- said:
Well, this isn't your thread and no one here is omniscient.

Top Bottom