Was This Really "The Wild Hunt" and more

+
Was This Really "The Wild Hunt" and more

I want to start off by mentioning how well CDPR has done on this project and their role-model-worthy business conduct.
Many of us here probably has fallen madly in love with this marvelous game and much like myself have immersed with the game. But because of how much we love the game, its inconsistencies could also be maddening.

So the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, hands down GOTY, but could it have been improved, obviously. Many people here points out the various flaws of the game because they see its potential as not just a GOTY but "Mount Everest" of games and a game with such potential is not easy to come by when you acknowledge how often it is that companies are recycling the same old and tweaking it a little and slap on the price tag but this is a debate for another time.

What ticks me most about this game is the inconsistency between the title and the actual game itself. The Wild Hunt (Eredin) was barely present in the game and at most times I find myself saying "The Wild Hunt, who?" From my perspective The Wild Hunt was meant to solely serve as the big bad boss you slay before the game ends and nothing more. To me, Eredin felt like one of those wolves I need to slay because it just somehow ended up attacking me on the path. I'm sure that many people enjoyed Radovid's death since every player must've felt him as someone who posed as a real threat, seeing non-humans burn on the pyre, witch-hunters who kill innocent people on baseless suspicion but get by because Radovid backs them up. That right there is what a genuine villain should've been. I mean Radovid chained up these ass-kicking witches like dogs, while Eredin's greatest achievement was to loot and plunder two defenseless isolated villages. Even the Crones of Crookbag Bog were much more worthy of slaying/ploughing up than Eredin, and the Bloody Baron's character is way more interesting simply because based on this game alone Eredin has little to no backstory. I heard there was a cut content of Novigrad getting attacked by the Wild Hunt and that's what should've been done. What I've been trying to say is, for a game that has such a rich story and characters for even supporting characters and small and short side-quests "what in the ploughing blazes" happened to Eredin who is supposedly the main antagonist of the game? Furthermore, it was said that this game was meant to serve as the last chapter of the "Geralt character" which to most people meant that the game should've revolved around Geralt's backstory and present and end with a bang. Instead it has been mostly about him "FINDING CIRI" and killing the BIG BAD while leaving the players with same amount of knowledge of the Geralt character when they finished the game as when they pressed "New Game".

And there's also the problem with the last arc of the game which to me felt rushed and confusing such as why did Ciri have to battle the White Frost right there and then after killing Eredin, why didn't she help Geralt fight him? What if Geralt couldn't defeat Eredin as in Geralt's own words " I'm just a simple witcher" What EXACTLY is the White Frost, and how does one fight it, how did it originate? There seems too be just too much of Deus Ex Machina by the end of the game that it has left me clueless. Fighting Eredin was easy even on Death March, A Rock Elementa beat my ass more than Eredin ever did.

My point is Eredin has great potential to be an awesome villain, I want to fear him, I want him and his goons to show up have an epic soundtrack that goes with how he is portrayed IN THE WITCHER Universe (As this legendary menacing wraiths that ploughs anyone up if you see them) you know sort of like when a Sith Lord shows up in Star Wars, they look awesome, get epic soundtrack, and looks like they'll plough the good guys badly. Sadly, he's not, he's a very forgettable villain in this game, and I felt that it was very undeserved for a titular character.

As I said before, the Witcher 3 is an already extremely great game with a vast room to evolve into an even better game, and it could begin to do so by addressing some of the concerns and inconsistencies that I and other players in the community have pointed out. Please do not think of it as a complaint of a troll but rather the concerns of a VERY LOYAL FAN of the Franchise and the company.

To cut things short, my purpose of this thread isn't to discuss the defintion of the game's title but to rather discuss about how Eredin, as his role as the main villain, deserves more screen time, be more involved in the game and really portray himself so that he deserves the role of the Main Antagonist of the game. Eredin looked like he could kick major ass and he looks really cool with that voice (masked version) and armor, it's a shame that he only get ass-kicked. I apologize if my title could be misleading or written in a poor manner.

#EredinForTheWin

Attachments

• eredin_destroyer_of_worlds_card.jpg
    eredin_destroyer_of_worlds_card.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Not everybody perfect, especially, if you do branching story, and the Witcher branching story had a tons of branches.
If you see Games of Thrones, Harry Potter and Lord of the Ring... there are always a hole on anywhere that the fans are question for it.
"What happen with A, why not use B, Isn't C suppose to be there and more capable ?"

There always more question after question. I don't blame both sides. Because those holes are the source of new idea.
If CDPR gonna do TW4 in the future, I just hope they bring a lot more of story-writers to minimalize the story holes or even better, perfecting the branches paths.

Eh, the Aen Elle are basically Nazi elves. They aren't really capable of being expanded because they're genuinely just evil shits.

Then again, I don't really care about the Elfworld bits.

I wanted more Politics and North and Nilfgaard.

So I may not be the intended audience.

Eh, the Aen Elle are basically Nazi elves. They aren't really capable of being expanded because they're genuinely just evil shits.

Then again, I don't really care about the Elfworld bits.

I wanted more Politics and North and Nilfgaard.

So I may not be the intended audience.

Hahaha for the most part, I felt like supporting Roche regain Temeria without any side deals with anyone and completely forgot the so called "Nazi Elves".

Hahaha for the most part, I felt like supporting Roche regain Temeria without any side deals with anyone and completely forgot the so called "Nazi Elves".

As a book reader, though, I have to say the game BENT OVER BACKWARD trying to make Nilfgaard not into an evil authoritarian slave-holding Empire of douchebags. They washed out all of Nilfgaard's flaws like mass-murder, genocide, apartheid, and worse then made Radovid Hitler.

Gee, I wonder if CDPR wants us to side with Nilfgaard.?

I still sided with Dijkstra.

Screw the Black Ones.

As a book reader, though, I have to say the game BENT OVER BACKWARD trying to make Nilfgaard not into an evil authoritarian slave-holding Empire of douchebags. They washed out all of Nilfgaard's flaws like mass-murder, genocide, apartheid, and worse then made Radovid Hitler.
They didn't wash out that at all...

And they never presented Nilfgaard as a nice or welcoming land neither.

I want to start off by mentioning how well CDPR has done on this project and their role-model-worthy business conduct.
Many of us here probably has fallen madly in love with this marvelous game and much like myself have immersed with the game. But because of how much we love the game, its inconsistencies could also be maddening.

So the Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt, hands down GOTY, but could it have been improved, obviously. Many people here points out the various flaws of the game because they see its potential as not just a GOTY but "Mount Everest" of games and a game with such potential is not easy to come by when you acknowledge how often it is that companies are recycling the same old and tweaking it a little and slap on the price tag but this is a debate for another time.

What ticks me most about this game is the inconsistency between the title and the actual game itself. The Wild Hunt (Eredin) was barely present in the game and at most times I find myself saying "The Wild Hunt, who?" From my perspective The Wild Hunt was meant to solely serve as the big bad boss you slay before the game ends and nothing more. To me, Eredin felt like one of those wolves I need to slay because it just somehow ended up attacking me on the path. I'm sure that many people enjoyed Radovid's death since every player must've felt him as someone who posed as a real threat, seeing non-humans burn on the pyre, witch-hunters who kill innocent people on baseless suspicion but get by because Radovid backs them up. That right there is what a genuine villain should've been. I mean Radovid chained up these ass-kicking witches like dogs, while Eredin's greatest achievement was to loot and plunder two defenseless isolated villages. Even the Crones of Crookbag Bog were much more worthy of slaying/ploughing up than Eredin, and the Bloody Baron's character is way more interesting simply because based on this game alone Eredin has little to no backstory. I heard there was a cut content of Novigrad getting attacked by the Wild Hunt and that's what should've been done. What I've been trying to say is, for a game that has such a rich story and characters for even supporting characters and small and short side-quests "what in the ploughing blazes" happened to Eredin who is supposedly the main antagonist of the game? Furthermore, it was said that this game was meant to serve as the last chapter of the "Geralt character" which to most people meant that the game should've revolved around Geralt's backstory and present and end with a bang. Instead it has been mostly about him "FINDING CIRI" and killing the BIG BAD while leaving the players with same amount of knowledge of the Geralt character when they finished the game as when they pressed "New Game".

And there's also the problem with the last arc of the game which to me felt rushed and confusing such as why did Ciri have to battle the White Frost right there and then after killing Eredin, why didn't she help Geralt fight him? What if Geralt couldn't defeat Eredin as in Geralt's own words " I'm just a simple witcher" What EXACTLY is the White Frost, and how does one fight it, how did it originate? There seems too be just too much of Deus Ex Machina by the end of the game that it has left me clueless.

Just out of curiosity, and plainly curiosity, Vesemir is about 600 years old if I'm not mistaken, you'd think he'd probably be the best weapon smith and armor smith in the the Witcher Universe as his life basically depends on those tools, why didn't he learn to craft, I mean he doesn't seem interesting in ploughing courtesans and witches like his apprentice and there's not really much to do in the world.

As I said before, the Witcher 3 is an already extremely great game with a vast room to evolve into an even better game, and it could begin to do so by addressing some of the concerns and inconsistencies that I and other players in the community have pointed out. Please do not think of it as a complaint of a troll but rather the concerns of a VERY LOYAL FAN of the Franchise and the company.

P.S: Do some people felt like there could be extra features like buying a house and furnishing it, go fishing, make a nekker farm or something, I mean when I first started the game and I saw the fishing rod i was like damn I can fish too then I realized it was junk meant to sell to merchants.

We need more Eredin / Wild Hunt!

No one here thinks your unjustly ranting. If anything we approve of you voicing you opinion on this game. Even the best of video games have problems, and frankly I've always felt that it's important to recognize these flaws. Not just so we can moan over what could have been done better, but so we can notice the great things that really stand out. So please, as a gamer and a fan of this great saga, I urge you to speak your mind to your heart's content.

Having said that, I agree with you completely that we needed to see more of our villains in this game. There was so much potential riding on these guys, particularly Eredin, and yet the best we got in terms of characterization was via exposition. Frankly I refuse to believe that the writers over-looked this and am content to think that they just ran out of time.

Please don't let the flaws of this game keep you down. Better yet savor them, and let them help you recognize the things that do work in this game (which are beyond count).

No one here thinks your unjustly ranting. If anything we approve of you voicing you opinion on this game. Even the best of video games have problems, and frankly I've always felt that it's important to recognize these flaws. Not just so we can moan over what could have been done better, but so we can notice the great things that really stand out. So please, as a gamer and a fan of this great saga, I urge you to speak your mind to your heart's content.

Having said that, I agree with you completely that we needed to see more of our villains in this game. There was so much potential riding on these guys, particularly Eredin, and yet the best we got in terms of characterization was via exposition. Frankly I refuse to believe that the writers over-looked this and am content to think that they just ran out of time.

Please don't let the flaws of this game keep you down. Better yet savor them, and let them help you recognize the things that do work in this game (which are beyond count).

I said that because as the gentleman probably experienced it too, people could just start arguments for no apparent reason rather than just to be a prick, but yes Eredin should've been more badass, I meant his armor, his auto-tuned voice, and his goons gave him potential to be a real bad ass, maybe even one of Sephiroth's caliber (From FF7), but sadly he was just a what's-his-face. I meant after playing the Lord of Undvik side quest which is a real awesome adventure, maybe even one of the best side quests in game, you'd think that Eredin and his baddies gets a even better development and progression.

I said that because as the gentleman probably experienced it too, people could just start arguments for no apparent reason rather than just to be a prick, but yes Eredin should've been more badass, I meant his armor, his auto-tuned voice, and his goons gave him potential to be a real bad ass, maybe even one of Sephiroth's caliber (From FF7), but sadly he was just a what's-his-face. I meant after playing the Lord of Undvik side quest which is a real awesome adventure, maybe even one of the best side quests in game, you'd think that Eredin and his baddies gets a even better development and progression.

Really? I thought they were going for a Handsome Jack thing.

I.e. that Eredin has tortured your daughter for SEVEN YEARS chasing her across the Multiverse when, in fact, he was the idiot because the moment Ciri and Geralt start to FIGHT BACK it becomes a nightmare for him.

I wanted to utterly DOMINATE him in the fight and make him BEG before he died.

Because Eredin is not a character who is badass but a coward who hunted a young woman with an army. Fuck that guy. He doesn't deserve any respect.

Really? I thought they were going for a Handsome Jack thing.

I.e. that Eredin has tortured your daughter for SEVEN YEARS chasing her across the Multiverse when, in fact, he was the idiot because the moment Ciri and Geralt start to FIGHT BACK it becomes a nightmare for him.

I wanted to utterly DOMINATE him in the fight and make him BEG before he died.

Because Eredin is not a character who is badass but a coward who hunted a young woman with an army. Fuck that guy. He doesn't deserve any respect.

Coward or not...he's clearly not a threat in this game..and a very forgettable character

I was thinking in the lines of when I was running around Skellige shores "oh ****!!! not those flying ******!!!".
the Eredin fight was " ok, next". Fight was difficult but it lacked tension or something, I can't describe it.
He felt like he was there for me to just kill like a step or a road to cross.

Last edited:
Hahaha not that sadly not many people pay attention to Eredin as far as I see it, most want a Triss-dating-sim game, I mean I loved Triss and I felt like she lacked content but I dunno, the priority seems jumbled up

P.S Just out of curiosity, and plainly curiosity, Vesemir is about 600 years old if I'm not mistaken, you'd think he'd probably be the best weapon smith and armor smith in the the Witcher Universe as his life basically depends on those tools, why didn't he learn to craft, I mean he doesn't seem interesting in ploughing courtesans and witches like his apprentice and there's not really much to do in the world.

Nope, Vesemir is about 200-300 years old. Humans settled just 500 years ago in this continent, so it's not possible for Vesemir being older than that.
I think there's just no need to become weapon smith. Kaer Morhen has a lot of weapons already and he is a witcher. He kills monsters. I don't think he would like to sit all his life around and make weapons.

Top Bottom