What color correction can do to those ugly screenshots

+
OK, I'll just remind people here of one relatively important fact:

If one wants to use SweetFX with TW3, you'll need to use this one:
http://www.reddit.com/r/sweetfx/comments/28exv0/boulotaur2024s_injector_with_151_shaders_x64/

That is because the default SweetFX (latest stable version 1.5.1) doesn't support 64-bit games, and TW3 is a 64bit-only game, judging by the only executable in the game directory structure.

The usage of shaders should be the same for both variants, though...

I have watched a few let's plays and that Picture people are always linking where they claim the horse is "Purple" Is just simply a matter of altering your brightness, Gamma and saturation levels in game.

From what i've seen in the let's plays, The horse is brown not purple. I think that picture from playstation access is just them having the s**** turned up too much. It really does make the scene washed out and gross.

@SmokeyGeahad

Yeah sweetfx 1.5.1 doesnt support 64bit games.

The one I got today familiar with is sweetfx 2.0 +reshade (actually downloaded it from reshade's page) and i works with 64bit games (Tried it with Metro LL).
It isn't officially stable release but from what I read it's pretty reliable.

@haticK

I hope there will be profile made by guy checkthelinkinthispost in sfx database shortly after release and I will share my experiences here.

Dont expect it immediately after release though. I live in Finland and release happens here at 2 am and I'm gonna sleep that night well and dig in sometime in the morning.

And I won't spend hours tweaking it that day as I'm fine enough with current graphics to actually play and enjoy that game:D

So: first day some quick setup if http://www.gamersyde.com/thqstream_the_witcher_3_sweetfx_color_correction-w2lhE7zSLYYyrBCs_en.html <- this guy delivers, and I'll tweak my own setup more after I have satisfied my need to get into that amazing world

Last edited:
I have watched a few let's plays and that Picture people are always linking where they claim the horse is "Purple" Is just simply a matter of altering your brightness, Gamma and saturation levels in game.

From what i've seen in the let's plays, The horse is brown not purple. I think that picture from playstation access is just them having the s**** turned up too much. It really does make the scene washed out and gross.

Physically based rendering. Horse is reddish, sky is blue, the resulting impression on the horses ass is purple.

Hi Zaeccis, some days ago I've made something similar (but much simpler) with GIMP I've decrease saturation by 40 and add some sharpening (60) and this is the result..

What do you think? It can be created with SweetFX? I know, colors are dull but probably there's a way to improve them..

Attachments

• TW3.jpg
    TW3.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 49
People want the 35 minute demo lighting which made the game look good in every situation no matter of it was day, night or inside a building because we have all seen it working and running fine in the game less than a year ago.

yea lighting was great, last year. but frame rate not so much. but that still didn't warrant denying it totally from people. everything was perfect but now, color correction wont fix that, though at least it will give us some improvement.

2014 screen shot comparison, with PS4 and PC Ultra (twitch stream)

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 43
This is what i'v been saying all the time. The "unspeakable topic" thing wasn't a graphic matter, was , as i said before, ages ago, is that probably, i don't know for sure, reds changed the cinematic contrast looks for a more realistic clear look.

If people want the old trailers looks, you can use Sweet FX that will do a nice job.

This is what i'v been saying all the time. The "unspeakable topic" thing wasn't a graphic matter, was , as i said before, ages ago, is that probably, i don't know for sure, reds changed the cinematic contrast looks for a more realistic clear look.

If people want the old trailers looks, you can use Sweet FX that will do a nice job.

no there are graphics changes, look at the image I posted in the spoiler tab in the post above yours. I will agree that the post process does create the illusion of more detail in the textures, but that is not everything.

SweetFX can color correct and sharpen for you, but some things are not going to be there (so long as the recent twitch stream was actually ultra as they claimed).

@SoulSore
Yes your color changes are easy to recreate with sweetfx so if you like that just look at its sharpening and sauration filters
Personally i like its current saturation (other than yellow parts) so i'm looking for a way to adjust just yellow colour

@cylon14
Thats pretty cool, actually reminds of TW2's art style

@sharpapple
Yes we know downgrade is a thing but could you take those complaints to some other thread as
I would like to keep this non-locked and about applying effects on TW3 and discussion regarding that
thank you

Last edited:
Thanks man, now I just have to wait the collector's edition retail and then I can try different settings with SweetFX, I like more a darker style, something similar to the first chapter :)

Colour grading and sharpening filters

:huh:

Provided that it would be possible via SweetFX or even properly using Redkit, would you try to bring back the exaggerated 2013 aesthetic of the Witcher 3? While being arguably straining for the eyes, I think it definitely has certain kind of weird appeal to it. Apparently, the effect comes from using the old TW2 renderer, as some of these colour palettes were present in that game as well. TW2 in general had very aggressive colours, which I thought was refreshing. Now obviously the entire game world in TW3 would look really weird with a brown and grey or green sepia filter 24/7, so I'm thinking, what if it were possible to change the colours during different time of day transitions? Or perhaps apply colours on certain areas of the map. Does anyone here have experience with Redkit? Did TW2 allow this kind of editing?

From what I understand, TW2 had it easy since each major location had a loading screen, which no doubt allowed more playing around with aesthetics and details. I wonder if CDPR was forced to stick with an all in 1 solution with TW3 since the game is open world? No doubt the current "natural" look is the more safer approach for mass audiences, especially considering Battlefield 3 received a lot hate for it's filters and I think TW2 did as well, but to a lesser extent. Maybe it was a playtester thing? Still, I'd be really keen to try the old colours on the final version of the game, if they were ever even thought-through at any point during development and if they still exist (and if they're actually still compatible with whatever they've done to the game now)

The picture above is a quick photoshop rape I did on a PS4 screenshot, to try and sort of emulate the old look. Even though it's a low resolution picture with exaggerated sharpening, I find it to be a fascinating comparison. Considering the outcry that came from a few changes in colours, I think it's safe to say that there is a sizeable audience somewhere out there that really liked the way it used to look and I doubt they're saying that just to complain. It's all just a matter of taste after all and they're no doubt simply passionate about the game they've been waiting for. It would be very interesting to see Redkit support this kind of modification. If it was simply a change in direction and nothing but an artistic decision, maybe it would be possible to do a post-release patch that adds new colour options in the post-processing section of the graphics menu? Sorry for any broscience I might have spouted, I'm just purely speculating how things might work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom