What on earth...? Load game still showing saves that I've moved from The Witcher 2 save game directory???

+
What on earth...? Load game still showing saves that I've moved from The Witcher 2 save game directory???

Hey,

I've decided to move my saves from The Witcher 2 from its gamesaves folder, to another folder I'll keep just in case I need to reload at some point... and I've done that... but when I hit 'Load game' in The Witcher 2... all the saves show up? And they still load?!?!?

How on earth...?

EDIT: I deleted the saves. They're still showing up, and they're still loading... they must be stored elsewhere?

My idea would be you are using Steamcloud.

Check here.

C:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\Random_Numbers\20920\remote

Andrea said:
My idea would be you are using Steamcloud.

Check here.

C:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\Random_Numbers\20920\remote
Thank you!

I did enable Steam Cloud, but then I disabled it... should it still be there?

Yep, Steamcloud store files forever, but you can force delete them if you want, just delete the userdata folder, launch the game, then close it (while Steamcloud is enabled ingame) and they should be gone from there too.

I see... thank you. I'll do that.

It's possible I know why some others, including myself, are reporting only being able to make a certain amount of saves... I think the 'remote' folder you mentioned is limited to 100MB of storage, as that's the allowance you get from Steam!

EDIT: Should I delete the whole userdata folder, or just 20920...? Won't the former delete any cloud saves I have?

If you like to, you can pick from urself wich saves you want to upload on Steam, and manually delete from the folder or if you have steamclound active from ingame, and you're done :) i used to do that with Deus EX:HR.

Andrea said:
If you like to, you can pick from urself wich saves you want to upload on Steam, and manually delete from the folder or if you have steamclound active from ingame, and you're done :) i used to do that with Deus EX:HR.
Cheers! =)

Regarding my edit above, do I delete the entire userdata folder or just 20920... I don't want to lose my other cloud saves, if I have any.

20920 is The witcher 2 specific folder, you can also check from the ingame dates on saves, it's should be the exact one.

Andrea said:
20920 is The witcher 2 specific folder, you can also check from the ingame dates on saves, it's should be the exact one.
It is 20920, yes. So, I eanbled Steam Cloud in The Witcher 2, quit The Witcher 2, and deleted the folder permanently. Now, Steam still showed 99MBs used for The Witcher 2, so I toggled in Steam 'Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for The Witcher 2', which has set that back to 0 used.

However, when I open the game... I don't see any of the saves which I transferred from that 'remote' folder, to the Documents/Witcher 2/gamesaves folder? 'Load game' shows nothing. Do I have to keep these saves in that remote folder?

Yep, Steam reads only from the remote folder for The Witcher 2, cause also mine on documents is empty.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64109196/cloud%20storage.jpg

If you want to delete a save from Steam cloud do this.

1)Enable steam cloud

2)Launch game

3)Manually delete wich file you want gone

4)Close the game and wait for sync

If you want to stop using cloud storage you need to disable it in the user.ini file under documents/user/witcher 2/config. Set CloudStorage = false.

Apparently disabling it via Options ingame does nothing. I had a confusing few minutes figuring that out.

Grab your newest save from the remote directory first though. Once you disable cloud storage it'll start looking in the gamesaves folder under documents.

Andrea said:
Yep, Steam reads only from the remote folder for The Witcher 2, cause also mine on documents is empty.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64109196/cloud%20storage.jpg

If you want to delete a save from Steam cloud do this.

1)Enable steam cloud

2)Launch game

3)Manually delete wich file you want gone

4)Close the game and wait for sync
Ah, I see. Thanks. I didn't close the game and wait for it to sync.
Andrea said:
If you want to stop using cloud storage you need to disable it in the user.ini file under documents/user/witcher 2/config. Set CloudStorage = false.

Apparently disabling it via Options ingame does nothing. I had a confusing few minutes figuring that out.

Grab your newest save from the remote directory first though. Once you disable cloud storage it'll start looking in the gamesaves folder under documents.
Ah, excellent. Thank you, I think I'll give that a try and see if it'll stop preventing me from saving the game after a certain amount of saves.

mardraum said:

I'm a bit confused. I navigated to Documents/Witcher 2/User and changed the 'cloudstorage' setting from true to false, but each time I start the game it's still looking in the remote folder for the save files (I moved them to back to documents), and when I check the user file again, it's set back to true?

In-game steam cloud storage is turned off, and in Steam, I've unticked the check box so Steam doesn't sync any of it either... what's up here?

Thanks for your reply,

I followed this part:

If you wish to return to the old method of saving games ("My Documents\"), you will need to delete all save games stored on the cloud and in the steam directory, and then turn off steam cloud saving in the menu.

So Steam Cloud was enabled in-game, I deleted the 20920 folder, and I didn't have any saves on the cloud (0 bytes used), so I proceeded to disable Steam Cloud in-game, and then I quit. I checked my user file in Documents/The Witcher 2/Config, and it still showed 'CloudStorage=true', I set it to false, saved, and then opened The Witcher 2, tabbed out of the game, opened the user file, and it's set to true again.

I'm not sure what to do.

EDIT:

I semi-followed the instructions Cers posted in that thread you linked, and it worked. My 20920 folder was deleted already, I enabled Steam Cloud, I quit Steam, I re-opened and opened the game and it was working... I checked my user file and 'CloudStorage' was set to false, so I just unticked the 'use cloud storage' check box in Steam again, and it's still set to false... not sure what happened but it's working!

Cheers, thanks for the help.

Top Bottom