Why don't enemies run away?

+
Why don't enemies run away?

So when you're mobbed by a big group of pirates/bandits/deserters, and you wipe out all but the last one, they never run away. In fact bizarrely they usually just taunt you. Anyone else find this a bit odd and slightly unsatisfying? It'd make you feel the badass that you are if they either tried running away, dropped their weapon and begged you don't kill them, or at least said something panicked.

Actually that's a good question. I remember reading an article that this feature was implemented in the game, which means they must have removed it.

I don't know why they removed it though.

It would have been a nice detail.

Yeah I wish they did this. Even Skyrim had a system where the last one would run away if Dovahkiin had wiped out 10 of his comrades beforehand, and Skyrim was released 4 years ago.

So when you're mobbed by a big group of pirates/bandits/deserters, and you wipe out all but the last one, they never run away. In fact bizarrely they usually just taunt you. Anyone else find this a bit odd and slightly unsatisfying? It'd make you feel the badass that you are if they either tried running away, dropped their weapon and begged you don't kill them, or at least said something panicked.

They do sometime drop their weapon and beg for mercy though unless i'm confuse with another game.

Actually that's a good question. I remember reading an article that this feature was implemented in the game, which means they must have removed it.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Gets-Fresh-Combat-Details-364018.shtml

Yup. So much promised content cut from the game (even remember one about an axe throwing minigame.) I think CDPR should have done less talking in the early stages, that way, we would have been none the wiser about the cutbacks upon release.

So it looks like it was planned. I guess they ran out of time or it altered the combat logic too much. But when you approach a gang and set them on fire, chop them in half, and decapitate them, only for the last guy to tell you that he's going to shit down my neck, I roll my eyes every time. Even just a line of dialogue that he was aware I'd just wiped his team would be enough to not break immersion. Seems there's no 'team awareness' AI at all.

Yeah, I asked myself the same question. Looks like it didn't made it into the game or got scrapped at some point. I hope they patch it in.

It could be a nice feature, but i am not sure if it would work fine with the actual AI system, neither with the combat system (you know how hard is hitting a enemy when he is getting away of you).

Humans don't. but Nekkers often will run away if you kill many of them or if they are alone/less than 3

Humans don't. but Nekkers often will run away if you kill many of them or if they are alone/less than 3
...or because they're just dumb and like to run around aimlessly. :p But seriously, enemies have their areas which they never really leave, so they just turn back when they reach the 'edge'.

I think it creates just too many complications. It's a new AI behavior, and then it's not clear where those enemies should go eventually. If you cleared a bandit site for instance, and peasants returned to it, won't those that fled try to re-take it? Also, it might be either annoying to the players if the enemies can outrun Geralt, or an easy kill if they can't.

What I think might be a more interesting option is to have at least some bandit sites non-hostile initially. Perhaps they can tell you to bugger off a couple of times and only then attack. Would add a bit of controversy that's so fitting in TW setting. I mean, should Geralt slay people on sight only because they have "bandit" or "thug" nametags? He can, of course, but it shouldn't be a no-brainer.

because they like to get slaughtered, they also like to see their companions being slaughtered when they stand still and watch

Yeah I wish they did this. Even Skyrim had a system where the last one would run away if Dovahkiin had wiped out 10 of his comrades beforehand, and Skyrim was released 4 years ago.

well theres the answer

skyrim has it, witcher 3 is not skyrim, therefore in order to not turn witcher 3 into skyrim, witcher 3 must never have this feature, go play skyrim if you want it

:p

well theres the answer

skyrim has it, witcher 3 is not skyrim, therefore in order to not turn witcher 3 into skyrim, witcher 3 must never have this feature, go play skyrim if you want it

:p

Skyrim has swimming and horse riding. Therefore in order to not turn the Witcher in to Skyrim, the Witcher must never have these features.

What kind of ridiculous flawed logic is that? Just because another game has a good feature which would work well in another game, doesn't make those two games alike.

Skyrim has swimming and horse riding. Therefore in order to not turn the Witcher in to Skyrim, the Witcher must never have these features.

What kind of ridiculous flawed logic is that? Just because another game has a good feature which would work well in another game, doesn't make those two games alike.

i agree completely, the quoted post is just a lil bit of lighthearted sarcasm :p seen too much 'no go play skyrim' in some other threads

But you wouldn't need to chase him down, you could just let him go to spread the word of how dangerous the Witcher is.

Exactly - Should I chase after the bandit or let him off? If he surrenders should I have mercy or put him in the ground with his buddies? In a game about choice, these little improvised and non-scripted decisions are potentially much more personal and satisfying than big scripted story ones.

Last edited:
Agreed, CDPR should better add this feature. If you see three of your comrades fall and the last guy is at the brink of being slaughtered, he'd run or beg. Would add to the fun.

Top Bottom