Witcher 3 actually isn't open world or am i doing it wrong?

+
Witcher 3 actually isn't open world or am i doing it wrong?

Only because of the marketing, i was expecting a skyrim like experience when playing. Its turning out much more like elder scrolls online (sad face) because of the following:

- w3 is story heavy enough to want to be a directed experience. Not a bad thing, especially since witcher, but it takes the independence you have from the adventure?
- Zones by level.
- Craploads of minimap icons that you just want to fill out, or clear the map, and move on.. you're not having an adventure its some game achievement.
- The maps are actually smaller than they appear. Understand due to handcrafted, but so was skyrim and it doesnt feel small at all.

I've tried turning off the map icons.. these are so nasty, why couldn't they just have copied skyrim again, only display everything once the PLAYER has discovered it.

Or is the open world bullshit marketing another false truth regarding w3 from cdpr, and i should expect it to be a fully realized w2, or more standard rpg? I'm happy to do this.. but expecting an open world is proving let down the more you play...

yeah not sure I agree with the rant at all, its 100% an amazing open world game. I find myself getting lost and unable to decide where to go just because of that. I havent even left Velen yet after 30+ hours.

yeah not sure I agree with the rant at all, its 100% an amazing open world game. I find myself getting lost and unable to decide where to go just because of that. I havent even left Velen yet after 30+ hours.

I guess you never played skyrim then. Its an odd experience.. skyrim complely sucks until it finally clicks its doesn't matter what you do when you're there. The game actually supports going in and just adventuring. Main plot be damned.

Yeah i've spent 24 hours tweaking graphics settings. I finally went for a random walk, in venlen, and ran into mobs double my level. Just north of the first town near the hanging tree. That's mmo zoning, not go where you want.

---------- Updated at 12:21 AM ----------

Yeah, looks like you're doing it wrong.

Any tips? I want to get it right.

In my case i'm exploring more than actually playing the story, i keep getting distracted by the world.

I guess you never played skyrim then. Its an odd experience.. skyrim complely sucks until it finally clicks its doesn't matter what you do when you're there. The game actually supports going in and just adventuring. Main plot be damned.

Yeah i've spent 24 hours tweaking graphics settings. I finally went for a random walk, in venlen, and ran into mobs double my level. Just north of the first town near the hanging tree. That's mmo zoning, not go where you want.

---------- Updated at 12:21 AM ----------

Any tips? I want to get it right.

I have played roughly 100 RPGs over my years =) . but i would say go with the flow a lil. I found random quests, people needed help, treasure and monsters, all off the beaten patch. You story choices and plot will effect you at some points no matter the choices, I hope you get into state you really can enjoy yourself!

I will save some monsters are meant for you to come back and l handle later, so come across a few run the heck away moments with double ?? difficul

Depends on your definition of open world. Yes you cant' travel by mount that seemlessly connects the land masses together... But holy cow Batman some of the land masses are absolutely huge so can probably understand why they went this route for performance sake.

Take your time man, explore, do side quests. Not sure what areas you've explored but the game seems huge to me and quite open.

This is very much an open world setting. There are random high level mobs so you come back to the area. You are suppose to go with the flow an just travel when you see fit. I rarely ran into mobs higher then me. I went with the story then saw some appropriate level quests, ran and did those and got sidetracked. 10 quests later im back on the main quest. Its a very nice open world system. People need to stop comparing other RPG's to Skyrim

- The maps are actually smaller than they appear. Understand due to handcrafted, but so was skyrim and it doesnt feel small at all.
Perhaps the reason why they feel small is because of how fast you travel on horse, and how frequent fast-travel locations appear. Make no mistake.... The Witcher 3 is is HUGE. In fact, it's the biggest single-player open-world game to come out in years. It's 3.5x bigger than Skyrim and 1.5x bigger than GTAV.

- Craploads of minimap icons that you just want to fill out, or clear the map, and move on.. you're not having an adventure its some game achievement.

I've tried turning off the map icons.. these are so nasty, why couldn't they just have copied skyrim again, only display everything once the PLAYER has discovered it.
I'm not sure what the problem is here. You could've turned that off before you started playing and this never would've been a problem. *yaawwwwnnnnn*

Or is the open world bullshit marketing another false truth regarding w3 from cdpr
What do you mean another marketing false truth?

I'm happy to do this.. but expecting an open world is proving let down the more you play...
I'm sorry, but if you think this game isn't open-world than you have one messed up imagination. Tell me --are you even out of the prologue zone? Or have you been playing TW3 drunk?

Apologies i completely forgot to add, ive decided that i want to get through the novels on audiobook before playing too much of the game, currently in the middle of time of contempt so its just starting to get some substance now, but yeah i decided to just walk around w3 screensaver like while the audio was playing in the background.

I've started to realize there actually isn't much inbetween the placed content.. apart form some of the best looking screenshots you can get on pc today sure.

I really hope its possible to and someone makes 1) a campfire mod 2) a companion mod so you can have someone to adventure with (if this happens later in the game anyway don't tell me and awesome, if it doesn't let me know though so i don't look forward to it).

Only because of the marketing, i was expecting a skyrim like experience when playing. Its turning out much more like elder scrolls online (sad face) because of the following:

- w3 is story heavy enough to want to be a directed experience. Not a bad thing, especially since witcher, but it takes the independence you have from the adventure?
- Zones by level.

Or is the open world bullshit marketing another false truth regarding w3 from cdpr, and i should expect it to be a fully realized w2, or more standard rpg? I'm happy to do this.. but expecting an open world is proving let down the more you play...

Skyrim also has high level enemies that you cannot fight at the beginning of the game. It is more sandbox than the Witcher game though. And I think CDPR deliberately chose this way to be more story driven.

Perhaps the reason why they feel small is because of how fast you travel on horse, and how frequent fast-travel locations appear. Make no mistake.... The Witcher 3 is is HUGE. In fact, it's the biggest single-player open-world game to come out in years. It's 3.5x bigger than Skyrim and 1.5x bigger than GTAV.

Yes i've started to realize that.. the walk horse speed is the best if you just want to experience it.. use the sprint only when you're bored and the super fast gallop is.. probably for escape?!? That makes sense now as i'm typing.

No i'm barely out of the prologue zone. I've pretty much walked around most of velen though, including checking out novigrad and oxenfurt.

The same with me. I almost NEVER travel on horseback. I like to go through areas on foot and it makes it so much more interesting. I am in Velen for 15+ hours now and not all areas explored.

Turn the mini map off. Right now, where you're at, just do that. Changed the game for me. Use the map and use the Sun. Meditate at night, or travel by the moon at night. It even changed the way I do combat.
My only problem doing that is I notice the fps drops more. Not paying attention to just a small circular screen...

Last edited:
Turn the mini map off. Right now, where you're at, just do that. Changed the game for me. Use the map and use the Sun. Meditate at night, or travel by the moon at night. It even changed the way I do combat.
My only problem doing that is I notice the fps drops more. Not paying attention to just a small circular screen...

Thinks it through for a sec.. you are now my favourite person, thanks thread answered :)

Top Bottom