Witcher 3 animations

+
I think that what you Avydia1 mean, wich is also what i want, is that animations have a smooth transition between each other.

Thats the whole difference between TW2 and Assassins Credd 3 for example.

Animations in TW2 are superb but they connect like crap, i want this improved if possible, you probably want it too, and i have a surprise for you:

http://www.develop-online.net/press-releases/96302/REDengine-3

This is an official press release about the engine TW3 will be using, the important part regarding this post is this one:

"The new face and body animation systems implemented in REDengine 3 offer realistic expression of emotions, movie quality scenes and character interactions."

"The technology also includes seamless blending between animations and physics along with many more features."

Yes, that's exactly what I mean, thanks for sharing your opinion.

BTW , I think that motion capture video posted above is from making of Witcher 2

Agent_Blue

CostinMoroianu said:
Apparently these guys were responsible for mocaping Geralt's sex animations as well..

That's....interesting.

I could have sworn a fellow forumer assured me no dummies were harmed during such mocap sessions, correction, assured me there were no mocap sections at all. It was all recreated on the computer.

What you're telling me then is that...great art requires great sacrifices?

About the various moving speeds, I'm not sure how it will work on a controller. On PC it could be W+Ctrl for stealth, W+Alt for walking, W for running and W+Shift for sprinting.
On a controller....? You can't assign four speeds to the push of a gamepad stick, two max. God I hate controllers..

And I haven't played Witcher 2 in months so I can't remember the animations well. But I would like the Witcher 1 kill moves and acrobatics to be back! In a more seamless fashion of course.

AhmadMetallic said:
About the various moving speeds, I'm not sure how it will work on a controller. On PC it could be W+Ctrl for stealth, W+Alt for walking, W for running and W+Shift for sprinting.
On a controller....? You can't assign four speeds to the push of a gamepad stick, two max. God I hate controllers..

And I haven't played Witcher 2 in months so I can't remember the animations well. But I would like the Witcher 1 kill moves and acrobatics to be back! In a more seamless fashion of course.

On a controller is much easier to assign as many speeds you like, through the left analogic stick. Try Assassin's Creed 3 with a controller.

maybe it's better if we keep on topic.

Do you think Geralt should be agile and be able to do acrobatic moves like climbing walls and running on roofs?

guipit said:
well triss had a girl mocap good thing too
LOL
Now Harley Quinn's moves are intentionally exagerated and it suits to the character imo. Judging Triss' moves, I am almost sure that she's been mocapped but a guy as well. I remember when I saw her walking for the first time after the landing in Flotsam and thought: what kind of girl would walk in that way?

secondchildren said:
[...]. Judging Triss' moves, I am almost sure that she's been mocapped but a guy as well. I remember when I saw her walking for the first time after the landing in Flotsam and thought: what kind of girl would walk in that way?

How about no? ^^

[media]http://youtu.be/8gIsYuPIKco?t=34s[/media]

Please feel free to express your thoughts about how to improve gameplay's animations and Geralt ones in particular.
Motion capture is good but then we have to implement this recorded animations in the game environement and make them realistic.

A good point stated above is about the concept of "continuity between game world and characters' animations". This has something to do also with interactivity: remember how we really could affect the game ambient with Geralt in the Witcher 2? Not pretty much... I'd like to see smoother moves, fluid moves that affect the world around the characters. If I want to climb a wall, I think an open world game should let me do it. Open world games are all about making you feel like you're free to do anything you want. If I'm running through a crowd I want to see people react to this, etc etc.

That's why I think that animations are one of the most important elements in making a good open world RPG. Skyrim is a great game but animations are really ugly and ruin the experience. Cmon, the combat was boring, I remember that I had no fun fighting and moving around in Skyrim. Assassin's Creed 3 is a great action game but lacks RPG elements. In AC3 I can play for 1 hour just running through the forest and fighting random enemies watching the many cool moves, and that's really fun to do, but then there's not much to do if you don't follow the main story.

The Witcher 3 could exceed both this games, featuring a vast, deep, open world RPG game with awesome, dinamic, fast and fluid animations like the best third person action games on the market.

I think this points should be examinated. There's a year until TW3 release, we have a chance to be read by the devs! Let's keep this thread up !

I'd like to see more interactive animations that involve us more with the world. Being able to sit on a chair is a subtle touch, but really adds to the immersion. The NPC's seem to do it, so why can't I? As long as it's within Geralt's personality traits, I think animations like this can only enhance the experience.

What are peoples thoughts about Geralt swimming? I'm too undecided to form an opinion...

Archomides said:
I'd like to see more interactive animations that involve us more with the world. Being able to sit on a chair is a subtle touch, but really adds to the immersion. The NPC's seem to do it, so why can't I? As long as it's within Geralt's personality traits, I think animations like this can only enhance the experience.

What are peoples thoughts about Geralt swimming? I'm too undecided to form an opinion...

About sitting and other non-witcher specific actions i completely agree.

I DEMAND to be able to go to the inn in TW3, sit in a table with some guys, drink and eat. Okay i dont demand it but it'be great lol.

The swimming thing is too hard because its an entire new action that lets you go over water, thus it means that by just having this the devs will never be able to use water as an obstacle or impassable terrain.

Its just too gameplay related, like climbing small buildings as Avydia1 said.

It be great for Geralt to be able to climb and be more acrobatic like in TW1 intro but that could break general gameplay too much.

Avydia1 said:
maybe it's better if we keep on topic.

Do you think Geralt should be agile and be able to do acrobatic moves like climbing walls and running on roofs?

To a point yes. The same topic was discussed on the CP 2077 forums and most everybody wants a basic type of parkour so that getting around is fluid and fast. I think the same applies for TW3. No more 'grab the ledge' prompts, but Geralt just scales moderate hurdles and walls as we press the directional key. I think the best example is AC3. And I don't mean the wall climbing stuff, but when Conner runs, pivots and leaps, it's very realistic and smooth. Another good example is Sleeping Dogs.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCv66japHQ0[/media]

free running would cheapen the atmosphere. here you have a beautifully realized world, and you've gone and blasted fecal matter all over it by pandering to the easily amused with crap like parkour. leave that stuff to the russian and french kids who post it on youtube where it belongs. not to mention you cannot do the free running thing in anything other than light weight fabric clothing.

although sensible interaction with the environment, including clambering and climbing over obstacles would enrich the atmosphere.

Top Bottom