Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys do realize that the UE4 shots were rendered on a Titan X? I doubt that anyone has one....although, the demo comes out in a week, if someone manages to get it running on a mid-range pc, I'll take back my words.

As a UE4 subcriber for 9 month or so, almost all demos release by Epic that I downlaoded can run well on a decent PC: They uusally do not release demos that only top end PC can run.

You have to remember these demos are not just for wow foctor showpiece for end gamers, but also design templates that developers can use as a starting point/template for tuning & learning. Making a demo that can only run well on Titans do not make sense.

You guys do realize that the UE4 shots were rendered on a Titan X? I doubt that anyone has one....although, the demo comes out in a week, if someone manages to get it running on a mid-range pc, I'll take back my words.

speak for yourself. I'm on 2x TitanX SLI here.

Finally discovered this location last night.

Tried to get teh game as close as I could with a lot of desaturation and brightening via ReShade.

This highlights one of my main gripes with this game's graphics - the lighting. The shadows appear way darker than they should. The GIF shadows look a lot more natural to me. The game's lighting looks flat in comparison.

I even took that with the "cut scene lighting mod" that everyone loves so much :p

dat butchered draw distance still amaze me

look at the distance... now everything is covered in this blue fog... light... and the transition from ground texture to foliage was superb... now it is not.

color palette... omg

tha amount of particles, npc... living world...
It looks like the game was butchered from it's potential glory.

I hope one day redkit will let us get rid of this fog, turn on better lights.

I think most important is lod, drawdistance right now... variation of the foliage and stuff..

Last edited:
@Sardukhar I found your new favorite video of all time

[video=youtube;-gyy1-XDG5I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gyy1-XDG5I#t=56[/video]

---------- Updated at 04:36 PM ----------

Anyway, yes, it seems that while the texture quality is still just as good, the draw distance has been toned down a lot from 2013, the depth of field is much less intense, the reflections are not as nice, the particles effects are not as detailed (smoke from chimney and flying plant debris) and the foliage quality is a bit lower (although the new foliage is dynamic)

anyway, yes, it seems that while the texture quality is still just as good, the draw distance has been toned down a lot from 2013, the depth of field is much less intense, the reflections are not as nice, the particles effects are not as detailed (smoke from chimney and flying plant debris) and the foliage quality is a bit lower (although the new foliage is dynamic)

and how anybody don't mention geralt's head turning while walking???

and how anybody don't mention geralt's head turning while walking???

Geralt's head turns when you turn the camera

Anyone ever consider that perhaps the camera in trailers is not the actual in game camera and is used for cinematic purposes, and that perhaps the actual in game camera at the time of recording is actually different and doing different things?

Geralt's head turns when you turn the camera

Anyone ever consider that perhaps the camera in trailers is not the actual in game camera and is used for cinematic purposes, and that perhaps the actual in game camera at the time of recording is actually different and doing different things?

WHAT??? Geralt doesn't turn his head when you turn camera in game when walking. He only turns his head with camera when he is on horse. OK. Look at 35 min demo gameplay. That was actual gameplay. And that camera was not cinematic camera. Geralt turned his head even there and that turning didn't depend on camera but he turned his head just how that is in that GIF. And that was my favorite little touch to game. That was amazing tiny thing. But now Geralt doesn't turn his head when walking totally. And it makes me crazy how all the people doesn't see this.

It seems like the downgrade talk people were spot on, watching comparisons of the exact same places.
-Reduced draw distance
-lower vegetation quality and variety
-Poorer lighting
-reduced particle effects
-Absence of tesselation
-Several lower quality textures
-Different colour palette

Still they achieved something very few games have. Even if you set the quality low/medium and even on lower resolution, like 720p, tha game still looks very good. This might be a hit for the ultimate rig people, but good for the averange gamer.And still PC is definetely the ultimate version because 1) PS4 looks about the same as PC on medium with an averange of 24-25 FPS during actual gameplay 2) PC is adjustable, you can choose your settings to make your game looking the best compared to your taste 3) adjustable buttons/choise between K/B or controller 4) SweetFX 5) Mods 6) Shorter loading times 7) Far better graphics overall

speak for yourself. I'm on 2x TitanX SLI here.
UE4 has no SLI support still...bollocks.

---------- Updated at 05:29 PM ----------

It seems like the downgrade talk people were spot on, watching comparisons of the exact same places.
-Reduced draw distance
-lower vegetation quality and variety
-Poorer lighting
-reduced particle effects
-Absence of tesselation
-Several lower quality textures
-Different colour palette

Still they achieved something very few games have. Even if you set the quality low/medium and even on lower resolution, like 720p, tha game still looks very good. This might be a hit for the ultimate rig people, but good for the averange gamer.And still PC is definetely the ultimate version because 1) PS4 looks about the same as PC on medium with an averange of 24-25 FPS during actual gameplay 2) PC is adjustable, you can choose your settings to make your game looking the best compared to your taste 3) adjustable buttons/choise between K/B or controller 4) SweetFX 5) Mods 6) Shorter loading times 7) Far better graphics overall
Lower quality looks "good" because the higher ones aren't that high to begin with.

If the game looked the way it did in the VGX build, that wouldn't prevent scalability for lower end hardware.

One thing I really want to see fixed is this shitty LOD distance for buildings. I mean... this building really isn't that far away.

So freakin blurry...

I prefer the water in the first image. It actually looks like shitty swamp water.... not something I would want to walk through. I also definitely prefer the lighting and atmosphere in the original as well.

Though it looks like the screenshot from the actual game was taken with a shitty sweetfx preset so.... I'll have to try and replicate that one myself. Either way, it will end in disappointment.

Can you show where that location is on the map?

@Wolfmeister1010 The camera was closer before in gameplay and trailer footage, they increased the fov and distance from Geralt so we could see more. I definitely don't like it as much, it's less cinematic and it doesn't have the screen shake effects it had before. Both things made it seem more like you were Geralt but now it's kind of impersonal and more tactical like in an MMO or whatever kind of game that has a zoomed out camera. I think it's possible to change its position right now but I couldn't find the .xml, with mod tools it will be for sure.

I'm am so utterly heart-broken and at the same time angry at CDPR for what should have and could have been. As I play W3 I find myself more and more disappointed with the graphics. GTA V has truly spoiled me. CDPR has seriously let me down.

Unless that is in a live and published game, running on a typical console or PC, aren't we again in jeopardy of letting tech demos set us up for disappointment? Or is this engine out and this screen shot from someones PC? Sorry I don't know, maybe it is.

Also on the tech demo above(the first video), the water surface looked "frozen" with no movement when they demoed the larger area and I still saw pop-in, what PC was it demoed on? Anyone know?

---------- Updated at 06:17 PM ----------

I too really like the forests, but for the the sake practicality, they should be the only areas with dense tree foliage. What seems scenic and gorgeous quickly becomes frustrating when you're trying to travel around on foot and on the horse. Good design is about balancing between aesthetics and gameplay, and I feel the devs focused a little too much on aesthetics.

I know a lot of players have had annoyances with navigation, and getting stuck behind objects is never fun. I mean how often had we started to do a full sprint with Roach, only to have a rock, fence or small tree get in the way and ruin the momentum?

They either need to improve Geralt and Roach's pathfinding and moveset or design the world to be more 'travel friendly'. Honestly, just remove the forward momentum that Geralt has at the end of every sprint, it's stuffed me up so many times during navigation.

As a teen, we hunted deer etc. One of the best places to hunt was the pines and briar patches, deer, rabbits etc love them. But I hated them, you could not see more than a few feet and the briars would shred you hands. No horse was going to go in there willingly. I guess it gets down to realism vs fun and whats the right balance?

How dares a game that went into developement late 2011 to not look as good as a tech demo in 2015!? This is an outrage!
/s

I am tired tof the nerd rage here. The fact is that TW 3 is one of (if not the) best looking games out, ever. The entitled whiners make all pc gamers look bad. They need to grow up.

Just 3 pages ago:

"Sardukhar

What you cannot do is blame consoles or PCs for anything, refer to PC users as snobs or arrogant or demanding or console users as kids or dumbed down or holding back the rest of us."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom