Would you jump to console when CDPR no longer make PC games?

+
If a CD Project sells 1 million copies of The Witcher 2, then 1 Million copies of The Witcher 2 for the consoles, they will actually make more profit from the PC version then they would from the Console version. It actually takes more games being sold on a console to reach X amount of profit then it does for the PC games. Developers have to pay royalties to Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, those 3 companies make $15-20 per new game that gets released for something like the first 1 million units sold. On the PC Platform the developers don't have to pay a royalty fee to Mac OS, Linux, or Microsoft.

lets see - i haven't owned a console in the past 15 years..... i preferred to miss out on some great games that didnt come to my beloved PC.... i can only assume that one more developer moving to the console market won't change my mind. and frankly, and u can call me a low standars excuse of a gamer, i dont mind shoddy ports. yes, i EVEN enjoyed "the force unleashed 1" on my PC and there are very rare ports that are more sausage shaped and earth colored than THAT game. if i can play it smoothly and it allows slightly better graphics and kbam than im ok with it. not every time but most of the times. GTAIV is my all time favorite game. hands down no doubt. i wouldnt call it a perfect port.....it really just depends on the game.i agree with the OP - like crytek it's inevitable that a company will expend it's market to the consoles but that doesnt mean it will stop making PC versions. eventually bohemia interactive might switch to consoles, that doesnt mean it wont bring PC gamers ARMA3. HOWEVER, if the witcher 3, a multiplatfor game, will suffer in it's gameplay and design because of it moving to the consoles than it might not be a good enough game for me and i won't buy it. really simple. ...and frankly, im not sure TW2 hasn't suffered for it....but im sidetracking. so to sum things up - if the PC won't get a witcher game than i'll just won't play it.if TW3 will be multiplatform and awesome and the PC will get a shoddy port i will still get it to the PC.if TW3 won't be awesome than i won't get it. what will make me get a console? like others said - kbam, better graphics (next gen. not today's gen) and if PC gaming will die. but frankly i actually think that if the PS3 had kbam i'd buy it today. i really want to play console games like uncharted 1+2, gears of war 2+3, killzone 2+3 and red dead redemption, but NOT with a controller!! and im not going to buy a console that won't allow me to enjoy these games like i want to. @ryannbergthat's true, but the console's crowd is more than 5 times bigger than the PC crowd so i think a developer assumes that if a game soled X amount on PC than it till sell 5X on the consoles so your point is invalid. that's what i think. aaaaaand scene.

I will only say that statistics that show declining PC game sales only include retail sales and in fact some prominent publishers are starting to change their stance on the PC as a gaming platform(EA).

RavenGr said:
I will only say that statistics that show declining PC game sales only include retail sales and in fact some prominent publishers are starting to change their stance on the PC as a gaming platform(EA).
I remember reading an article by the NPD stating that at the end of 2010 Digital sales of games was 50% of the total sales, and that by the end of 2012 they are projecting that Digital Sales would be something like 75% of the total sales. Now I don't remember if that was Globably, or just North America and Europe only.Edit- If they Mayans are right, then digital sales will be 0% and so would be retail sales, by the the end of 2012 =P

kelton312 said:
Lets make it profitable. F&*$ consoles. Buy games from devs you support, dont buy from devs who dont care about their fans.. cough bioware. Its sad that we used to be able to say "bioware has never made a bad game." Hopefully that lasts longer for CDProjekt
First time poster. I have a 360, a Wii, and my gaming notebook. I play games to be entertained. I too am very disappointed in Bioware but, the travesty titled DA 2 led me to learn about The Witcher. I am enjoying it immensely. If this developer chose to make a console game, I would judge it by my enjoyment. I really don't care what platform it is running on.

*sigh* another platform wars thread.PC games are doing well (thanks to DD and higher margins)Not all console gamers want simple/easy games.Done. can we move along now?

As a public service announcement, there are keyboard/mouse adapters for PS3.And , for the record, I don't own either :)

archaven said:
- Higher cost to develop in order to include better resolution, visuals, hardwares, compatibilities.
The better resolution actually comes for free. You don't code for specific resolutions, because you're writing a 3D application and the GPU takes care of rasterizing that to a specific resolution. If your GPU is powerful enough, you can run a higher resolution. Having the exact same 3D application running on a console and the PC, you'll also get better visuals for free: Higher resolution, better texture filtering, anti-aliasing... combined they make for vastly improved picture quality. So, even if you don't care to use features the newer hardware on PC provides (AFAIK The Witcher 2 is a DX9-only game, for example), you'll still end up with a better looking game and only a few idiotic PC elitists would make a scene about it.As for the compatibility issues: Most of them are covered by Direct3D / DirectX and drivers for the developers. I think that these days the cases where developers actually have to target specific hardware are a rarity. Most so-called "incompatibilities" are plain bugs, either in the game or the drivers (either the game or the drivers don't really comply to the standard both "agreed" on).
archaven said:
- Requires more complicated support and involving greater bug fixes as every PC is unique with different hardwares.
As I already said: most hardware differences are covered for the developers already. Releasing a bug fix on PC is actually easier than on consoles, since you don't have to deal with MS / Sony to get your update out there.
archaven said:
- Rampant piracy demote sales.
The effect of piracy on sales was never shown and probably never will be, as it's impossible to really tell how many pirates would really have bought the game and the other way round. There are PC games that have sold in the millions, so that's definitely not impossible.
archaven said:
- Requires lesser effort in game development due to hardware limitation and shorter development cycle.
actually, hardware limitations make development harder. If you really think making something like God of War 3 work with 512MB of total RAM and a GPU akin to the GeForce 7800GTX is easier than doing the same with 4 to 6GB of RAM and a high-end GPU, you're delirious. Also, I don't know where you get that "shorter development cycle" from, to be honest. Of course, games using 3rd party engines (like the Unreal Engine 3) will have shorter development times, but that's unrelated to console or PC. Also, sequels obviously will have shorter development times due to reusing a lot of the predecessor's game design, art assets etc. Overall, you have console games with development times of anything between 1 and 5 years... just like on the PC.Naughty Dog needed roughly 3 years to make Uncharted 1, for example, Uncharted 2 took roughly 2 years. Now, let's take a look at The Witcher 2: For a very complex game using a completely new, homebrew engine, CDPR required roughly 3 to 3 1/2 years (The Witcher Enhanced was released 2008). Where's the huge difference in development time? Considering that The Witcher 2 is a lot more complex than a linear third-person shooter, I'd say there isn't any.
archaven said:
- Game design consideration made simpler due to simplicity of controllers (limited buttons) and simple development due to simple coding required for less hardware component .
Same problem again: Less buttons doesn't make game design easier. In fact, it gets harder. How do you make a complex game design work with 8 buttons? How can you make inventory management feasible?
archaven said:
- Consoles are CHEAPER than PC and you don't have to upgrade the hardware periodically.
hmm.... let's say you're planning on buying about 10 games a year (one a month with one or two exceptions, seems reasonable to me). My PC costed around 800€ (so, it's not exactly a cheap one) and will probably last at least 3 years, perhaps 4. Every game for PC costs around 35 to 45€, so let's say 40. So, my PC with 30 games costs roughly 2000€. Now, a PS3 costs 300€, but each game costs 55 to 65€, so let's say 60... do you see yet where we're going with this? We're at 2100€ for a PS3 with 30 games. Cheaper? Not really. Both are a luxury, but if you intend to actually play more than a few games in the next 3 or 4 years, PC gaming ends up being cheaper.

No. I'll just stop caring about them. I'm pretty sure a lot of people will brand them as backstabbers though. Kinda like Epic Games which made its fame and fortune on the PC platform and then nearly abandons it. One of the reasons why many PC gamers don't like them much.

I am not buying a console until they start making significantly more quality games for them. That would necessitate keyboard+mouse support since the games I like (aside from RPGs) are strategy games and simulation games (like ArmA or flight sims). It's impossible to play these with a controller so they never make it to consoles. Most RPGs make it to the PC eventually anyway (if the game is good, I will play console->PC ports, no problem) and for the few that don't - I can live without them.Also, the PC has about a million other uses aside from gaming. I need a PC for work anyway so using it to run games as well is actually pretty cheap (only need a decent graphics card).There, that's the only post I've ever made on the whole PC/console issue and I don't intend to make any more.

I always played most of my games on a computer since the first playstation. I like the freedom the computer has but sometimes it's also a bit frustrating that I can't always get the beautiful graphics that other people have. Since I don't buy my computer just for gaming purposes only, mainly for study and I prefer using laptops since I like the motility.I bought a ps3 a couple monts ago for a strategy game I really like, but aside from that I mainly use my computer. If I had a bigger television screen I would buy TW2 on ps3 also (if it's the same version as the pc version, without restrictions). But I will still be using and buying games primarily for the computer.

I own xbox, but I've yet to see a console game which gives the same amount of immersion as pc games do. For most purposes (i.e,aming, navigating) console controllers just suck, so you always get something simplified for them (ok, I played trine using xbox controller, but Trine is very casual game, so that just proves my point). You rarely get mature games on consoles, no adult mods for consoles either, so generally console games are only good for small home parties or co-op play (some are also good for spending time while riding exercise bicycle...)For everything else, consoles can't hold a candle to PC games. So I'm looking for different qualities in console games and pc games. (I.e I don't buy rpgs for consoles, because, really, no mod community...)So if CDPR is going to make console games, my hope is that they are going to make good console games (good co-op, fun game play, etc). Whether they can master it remains to be seen, I will not buy games just out of respect for their previous success with pc titles.

It wont sell for consoles. 10 year olds play on consoles and they can not handle a game that requires brain.

Top Bottom